Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Both the Ural and the Enfield are anything but a modern design, and if that is what you are looking for I would go with the Ural. But, if you are looking for a bike with a sidecar and do not mind doing like the Enfield dealer is going to do and add a sidecar to a bike you have many more options. If you want the classic look then the Bonneville may be the way to go we have bike specific mounts and new from billet triple tree's and have mounted many of our M72C/D sidecars on them, but you could just well go with most any bike that bike specific mounts are made for, or if the bike is at a sidecar shop pretty much any bike can have a sidecar added Some cost more then others to add a sidecar to and many people will buy a new bike local to us, have us install the sidecar and then ship them the finished rig.
My point, you do not need to limit your choice to either a Enfield or a Ural.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,879
Fuel injected , disc brake , unit construction , electric start , reasonable suspension . The one I rode had no trouble pulling 70 mph with a motor that only had 20 miles on it ... what's not modern in your view ?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #18
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
OHV, 60 year old design, lights you have to get off the bike and have a look to see if they are on. Handling (In solo form) so bad it feels as if the rear tyre is deflated.
All this on a 'modern' bike? I dont think so.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #19
FR700
Heckler™©®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
OHV, 60 year old design, lights you have to get off the bike and have a look to see if they are on. Handling (In solo form) so bad it feels as if the rear tyre is deflated.

OHV ? ... did you want a flat head instead ?
The engine is a unit construction ... not seeing a 60 year old design ... the styling , yes .
The one I tried managed to drag shit on both sides going around corners without showing any weirdness .

Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #20
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

No, I would want OHC preferably more than 2 valves per cylinder, as for the age of the engine design, you do know the history of the Indian Enfields?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #21
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633

Photo shows a Kawasaki W650 outfit.

Now, fast forward to 2011 - 2012 . . . . . now we have the version with a a capacity of 773cc . . .

Review: 2011 Kawasaki W800

Quote:
Naturally, the engine’s an air-cooled number with a capacity of 773cc. By Kawasaki’s measure, the power produced is around 52Kw (70 hp), up from 37 Kw (50 hp) of the previous model; torque is spun out of the new block at 60Nm (76 ft. lbs.) as compared to the 41Nm (56 ft. lbs.) of the 676cc W650. All this is happening much lower in the rev range than the old bike, with maximum torque available at 2500 rpm – 2000 rpm lower than the six fiddy. You’ve got a five-speed box to toe through, and a 14 ltr (4 gal) tank to pour the petroleum downwards. The frame is good ol’ tube steel and it all weighs in at 216 kg (476 lbs.), with the seat stopping your bum’s downwards motion at 790mm (31”). The rest is completely as you’d expect with telescopic front forks (no adjustment), twin rear shockers (pre-load adjustment), disc front and drum rear. It’ll cost you 12 thousand biscuits if you pay recommended retail in Oz.
Quote:
Torque is there in spades, and all from about 2 rpm. I’ve ridden a few bikes that are really unhappy to do anything but idle in the lower quarter of their rev range. Not the W; it and it’s nice big flywheel were totally untroubled by low rev riding. Like any decent, torquey engine you can just leave it in gear and punt it around using the bloody great mass of twist the engine generates. Likewise, cruising at high speeds seems just as easy, ticking over at a lazy 4250 rpm at 120 kmh (60 mph)* and a crazy-low 2750 at 80 kmh (50 mph). Roll on the throttle and the thing just goes like the high god of tarmac has summoned a surf-able road wave behind you. It never gets hurried or flustered, and although the red line is painted on at a reasonably high 7000 rpm it always seemed to be very at-home-on-the-couch-without-any-pants-on comfortable despite whatever my right hand threw at it.
* poster's note: Poor speed conversion. 120 km/h converts to 74.56 Miles/hour (mph)

All the appearance of classic air-cooled motors . . . . . some aspects are as they were in the past . . . .but there have been quite some changes.

Kawasaki W800 (actual 773cc)
70 hp . . . . . . 60Nm torque - maximum torque available at 2500 rpm . . . .

Now, for the Royal Enfield Bullet EFI . . . you have 499cc
27bhp
Torque 41.3 Nm @4000 rpm

Sort of a big gap between these two machines. I know which one will be hardly bothered by the addition of a sidecar.

vortexau screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 04:23 AM Reason: correction to speed figures
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #22
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,270
If I were to go the nice and civilized way with an outfit (and not my dirty military Gear up) A Bonnie with two tone paint or that above Kwak with same and Steib or Stoye sidecar! That would be ace.

I love the idea of the RE. Its what lots of folks love. The look the feel and the price. Hell if numbers and speed and all that counts then buy that Ninja. Limits yes. But if you know them then avoid that type of riding. Id love to own one some day.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #23
schoals
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
thats not held harley davidson back
Old 01-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #24
schoals
Studly Adventurer

sadly the w800 isnt coming here
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,348
The new Enfields are reportedly very nice, and certainly more modern than the latest Urals in some regards (fuel injection being a big one). But they still wouldn't make a very good tug IMO.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
FR700
Heckler™©®

Quote:
No, I would want OHC preferably more than 2 valves per cylinder, as for the age of the engine design, you do know the history of the Indian Enfields?
Yes I do thank you . Apart from using push rods in its design it shares nothing with the previous two generations of motors .

Old 01-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
schoals
Studly Adventurer

I would like to hear an honest unbiased opinion from a member who has ridden the Royal enfield with cozy sidecar if that's possible?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
737av8or
n00b

Oddometer: 9
OK, here's my .02. Having owned an Enfield a Ural and a Triumph Bonneville (new Hinckley version), it really depends on how you plan to use it. I have owned multiple hacks and the desired use and performance will help make your decision. I did not have a sidecar on the RE, but agree it would be underpowered for anything other than in town errand running. I don't think it would be comfortable anywhere near highway speeds.The Urals are also best suited to in town or rural highways at 55-60MPH. The Ural will run at interstate speeds for short periods, but you are certainly pushing it. Disclaimer, my Ural was a 2000 650, I am told the newer 750 engines have improved in power and reliability. The new Bonnevilles are spectacular bikes. It would easily pull a sidecar and would probably be fine at interstate speeds. Search Cozzi Sidecars and you will find a gentleman that puts Cozy sidecars on the new Bonnevilles. Search youtube and you will find multiple videos showing his combinations.
737av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #29
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoals View Post
thats not held harley davidson back
True But they have a excellent advertising department!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #30
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633

Welcome to CARBERRY ENFIELD

Quote:
The concept of the V-Twin was conceived by Paul Carberry and brought to fruition by Paul and Ian Drysdale (Of the Drysdale 750-V8 and 1000-V8 fame). The basic premise was to create a “classic” style 1000cc British V-Twin utilising as many standard Royal Enfield parts as possible. All this to attain a well mannered torquey cruiser with the look, feel and sound expected from a bike with traditional British bloodlines but with enough technology to make it a practical every day work horse - at a reasonable price. The design premise included keeping production and maintenance costs down with a worldwide availability of spare parts.
The 55 degree vee angle was chosen for the combination of style, balance and mechanical simplicity. One consideration was to allow the hydraulic lifters to be accommodated above the standard Royal Enfield cams without modification to the barrels. Any vee angle tighter than 55 deg also requires heavy modification of the Royal Enfield heads for carburettor clearance. The standard Enfield primary drive cover has also been retained. The Enfield clutch is “beefed up” and a bigger engine sprocket is fitted to utilise the extra performance of the V-twin.
Quote:
ENGINE
Engine type: Air-cooled, OHV, pushrod,four valve, 55 degrees V-Twin.
Bore & stroke: 87x90mm
Displacement: 1070 cc
Compression Ratio: 6.5:1
Ignition: Electronic CDI Bosch trigger
Fuel System: 2x28mm MIK-Indian CV carburettors
Fuel Type: 91 RON
Power: 45bhp @ 4800rpm
Weight: 198 kg( Oil, no fuel) Fuel capacity: 14 litres