Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #31
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Well, this last little bit has been very entertaining, at least.

If you read my sig, I had a Honda VFR, the quintessential sport-tourer. I have actually only owned Honda's and Suzuki's (before my awesome Trumpet). So no, not a Marine Corps thing, or anything even like that. If they made something that got my attention, I'd still be interested (say a S1000RR based sport-tourer?). What I'm talking about with the soul comment, is something that stirs my emotions. Most of the Japanese and BMW's have become the Toyota's of motorcycling in my opinion; designed to appeal to the masses. Which makes great economic sense, but doesn't do anything to get my blood pumping. Yes, I have looked at the K1300S, and it just doesn't do anything for me, like a high performance Camry or 325i. I'm looking for an Aston Martin Rapide. And yes, this is a very personal thing.

I have looked at the KTM's, and they are interesting, and I might consider one.

I have also heard much to-do about my Trumpet's apparent lack of reliability; however, if you know anything about the R/R and other issues VFR's have had for years (as an example) and compare that to the Hinkley Triumphs, and many of the newer Ducati's and Aprilia's, you'll find that that sentiment is a bit old-school, and no longer reality based.

We have also lost our way while getting all offended at my Japanese and German comments, by talking about baggers (full-on touring bikes). As I mentioned at the start, I am a sportbike rider (note the Daytona as my current steed). I will not be giving up my sportbike either, this new one will be a second mount. Touring bikes are great for some, but not for me; as I mentioned at the beginning, I'm looking for ~500 pounds and 100+ BHP at the rear wheel. I'm not ready yet for a two wheel car, maybe in another 20 years.

As I also mentioned, I don't have any experience on an Adventure Bike, or a power-cruiser; all I've ridden are MX and sportbikes; which is why I posted here to begin with. I wasn't planning on defending my list, more interested in people's opinions, or preferably experience with bikes on the list, so I could make a more informed decision.

But keep the advice coming, it's entertaining, sometimes informative, and I've enjoyed it all.
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #32
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
Triumph is a very nice bike but...not on the same league as a C14 unless ...you have short trips in your horizons.
Perhaps you're thinking of the wrong Trumpet? From what I've read, the Sprint GT is right in the same wheelhouse as the Connie...

But as I said, I'm trying to get away from the sport-tourers, as I'd like to try something different than a fat, slow, although more comfy, sport-bike; as I said above with my VFR, I've been there, done that.

That's why I'm trying to focus on the adventure bikes and power cruisers; trying to broaden my motorcycle experience.
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #33
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,359
Harley Electra Glide will satisfy the criteria you mentioned, your inseam being a hindrance to the tall euro bikes. Stelvio would be a great choice. I personally use a big cruiser with air suspension and a http://www.day-long.com/ seat for pillion duties. It's Japanese, but the H-D EG will do the same thing. All day comfort for both of us.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #34
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
Perhaps you're thinking of the wrong Trumpet? From what I've read, the Sprint GT is right in the same wheelhouse as the Connie....
As I said, Triumph Sprint GT is a very nice bike but...not on the same league as a C14...

Adventure bike are typically tall... not that my 6-3 height has a problem with that. I had a CapoNord for 45K miles and I loved all of them except my last mile...
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #35
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
As you've found, its a pretty short list that even comes close to meeting your stated requirements. The Thunderbird shouldn't even be there since its around 700 lbs and you've reiterated a couple of times you want 500 lbs +/-.

One that hasn't been mentioned and isn't common and has "soul" is a Buell XT.

BTW, one of the most "soulful" bikes I've owned was Japanese - 1990 Honda Hawk GT.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #36
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
I'm looking for ~500 pounds and 100+ BHP at the rear wheel.
So, then, why does your list contain a bike that is 746lbs wet? You're not making a lot of sense here.

You already got comments about the others - the only one that is really good for a pillion and has power and is close to sport bike performance is the Multistrada and you could have that figured by going to some shops and try it.

What you are getting here is completely useless (as are most of my and your posts) in that regard. You will not find anything by couch riding ... take your pillion, go out, and ride the damn things (or at least sit on them) and build your own opinion. You wouldn't have most on the list if you were doing your own checking ... Whether you find the Multi or the Tiger or the Sprint comfortable with a pillion is up to you and your pillion. Not up to someone else and his passenger.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #37
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

The Thunderbird is only on the list, because I keep reading and hearing by folks who own or have ridden them, that they handle really well. I'd like to try a cruiser, for something different (plus the pillion likes the looks of them), so I threw it in the mix. Still, the footpeg placement is an issue, as even sitting on them I am uncomfortable with my feet out in front like that. Hence how I found the Diavel.

We have sat on some of them, and do need to try some more. I'm not planning to buy it until next spring/summer, so I have some time.

The hard part for me, and why I'm posting here and in my normal forums (VFRWorld and Triumph675.net) for opinions, is I've never had (or even ridden) a cruiser or adventure bike, so I'm looking for folks with experience to give me some insight. I have also asked around at Bike Night's or other gatherings as well.

It is also difficult to shop based on pillion comfort. I could narrow it down pretty quick on my own likes/dislikes; unfortunately, many of the bikes I like, are obviously not comfy for a pillion. I'm trying to compromise, but I still need to enjoy it and feel safe on it, otherwise we'll still never go riding together, cause I won't like ridding it, and that defeats the whole purpose.

This is why I appreciate the feedback; so thanks again.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #38
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
The Thunderbird is only on the list, because I keep reading and hearing by folks who own or have ridden them, that they handle really well.
They might handle well for a cruiser. I have tried a handful cruisers and all of them handled absolutely abysmally bad compared to my GS or a "standard" motorcycle like the R1200R. (I'm comparing to the Beemers because I know them pretty well.)

Cruisers have completely different advantages. Handling really isn't one of them. "Cruising" down a nice route - that's it. Not riding. It's a different kind of fun.

Quote:
(plus the pillion likes the looks of them)
Urgs ... that must be one hell of a woman or I'd be looking for a different pillion rather than a different bike ...

Quote:
I've never had (or even ridden) a cruiser or adventure bike, so I'm looking for folks with experience to give me some insight.
Again, nobody here can give you any insight on how you'll perceive a bike. If you're coming from an 800lbs cruiser a 650lbs cruiser might handle "lightweight and fast". If you're coming from a WR250X a Ducati Hypermotard 796 might be one hell of a heavy bike ...

Nobody here has your personal perspective. You can ask "can I put the kitchen sink on the back of bike X" and people will show you photos how it's done. But even if I tell you that my wife loves the back of the GS and finds the rear of the Multistrada about as good, that doesn't help you (or your pillion).

It is also difficult to shop based on pillion comfort. I could narrow it down pretty quick on my own likes/dislikes; unfortunately, many of the bikes I like, are obviously not comfy for a pillion. I'm trying to compromise, but I still need to enjoy it and feel safe on it, otherwise we'll still never go riding together, cause I won't like ridding it, and that defeats the whole purpose.

Given your list - there is absolutely no question which bike I would ride if I only had those as choices. I would go with a Tiger 1050 if mostly going alone and rarely with my wife. I absolute love that engine. The problem is that my wife didn't like the feel "up there", therefore I cannot recommend it personally. Different pillion - different opinions though. I would go with the Multi (or, quite a bit behind as second choice the Sprint GT) if having a passenger on more than 10% of the miles.

If you also even think about going on an overnight trip or so, comfort isn't the only consideration. You want luggage space, some wind protection, a pillion position close to you so you can communicate easily even without radio, you'll want options for putting (rider or passenger) foot pegs lower if desired, you'll want a good mileage so you don't have to stop too often, stopping should be choice, not need. Stuff like that. There is so much more to consider when riding with a passenger as all those factors count not just once but multiplied by 10 or 100 (or even more depending on the passenger). My wife is very easy going, but she would not want to go on an overnighter on the Tiger, the Diavel, or the Thunderbird. She'd do it right away on the Multi, with some careful consideration on the Sprint.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #39
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
+1

My GF actually prefers the race horse jockey seating position of the two Guzzi sportsbikes that I have, and has ridden pillion over 8,000 miles on them in the past year.

Last Fall, I bought a Guzzi California. Figured she'd really like the seating. She doesn't. She doesn't like the fact that she can't see over me like she can on a sportsbike. She doesn't really care for the touring-cruiser seating position and likes her feet farther back... She likes the bike, though, and for around town or short lunch rides it's not bad.

For touring, she prefers the LeMans:

IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #40
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
+1

My GF actually prefers the race horse jockey seating position of the two Guzzi sportsbikes that I have, and has ridden pillion over 8,000 miles on them in the past year.

Last Fall, I bought a Guzzi California. Figured she'd really like the seating. She doesn't. She doesn't like the fact that she can't see over me like she can on a sportsbike. She doesn't really care for the touring-cruiser seating position and likes her feet farther back... She likes the bike, though, and for around town or short lunch rides it's not bad.

A LeMans with a traiiler! Rocker buddy your just too cool for words

So's your girl!
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #41
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
+1

I cant see how her knees can be comfortable for long period of time on that V11. If she is truly comfortable like that after hours, she's a rare bird, marry her already.

IMO, pillion bike should be about passenger comfort, if your passenger is not comfortable, they will not enjoy the ride, more than likely, will not ride for long nor for many trips.
My wife has ridden with me on many different motorcycles: BMW R1150RS, K1200RS, K75, Honda VFR800, Blackbird, GL1800, Aprilia Futura, Moto Guzzi V10, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Kawasaki Concours and more..
Out from all of the motorcycle she's ridden with me, she loves riding on the back on the Burgman 650. She likes the large seat, backrest, large underseat storage & the ride itself. Burgman is well capable of triple digit speeds, low to ground weight distribution for a very stable ride, very capable at canyon carving, even at low speed maneuvers, unlike the super heavy GL or larger touring rigs.
If you have never tried a maxi-scoot like a Burgman, it's easy to think that it's just another scooter or scooters are no comparison to motorcycles. But once you try it, you may find it more capable than you ever thought.

Cat0020 screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 04:04 AM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #42
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
I know you think that bmw's are without character.

but try a k12s, ride one with the boss (wife)

she loves being pillion.

just a thought.

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #43
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2wheel View Post
I cant see how her knees can be comfortable for long period of time on that V11. If she is truly comfortable like that after hours, she's a rare bird, marry her already.
Maybe she'll chime in. She's an inmate.

IBA #24873
Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #44
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
A LeMans with a traiiler! Rocker buddy your just too cool for words

So's your girl!
Just a couple of Guzzi Weirdos...
IBA #24873
Old 06-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #45
nazdravanul
Big Bad Wolf

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
+1

Holly Moses :))) That's quite a sight :) As always, reality is way stranger than fiction :) Enjoy your ride, guys
nazdravanul is offline   Reply With Quote