Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #91
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Good point Cat. I take it all back. It's a lousy pillion bike.
I don't know if they are "lousy pillion bikes", but the manufactuering process is surely crap when you need to recall over 300,000 of your primary product.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #92
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
I don't know if they are "lousy pillion bikes", but the manufactuering process is surely crap when you need to recall over 300,000 of your primary product.
Good point again. But manufacturing is spelled this way, (not manufactuering) and the correct term is "more than" when discussing numbers. "Over" is a spacial term. As in: The mechanic jumped over the pool of oil left by the leaking final drive. The mechanic charged more than $1,000 for the repair.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #93
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Good point again. But manufacturing is spelled this way, (not manufactuering) and the correct term is "more than" when discussing numbers. "Over" is a spacial term. As in: The mechanic jumped over the pool of oil left by the leaking final drive. The mechanic charged more than $1,000 for the repair.
Sure, when you cannot argue for your point, pick on simething else that distract from the topic.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #94
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
I'm not entirely sure how their sales of over 300,000 touring bikes since 2009 is a bad thing. Surely a recall of a rear brake switch is less an indication of 'crappiness' than consistent rear drive failures, deforming fuel tanks, and other issues that plague a few euro brands.

I don't see you posting about that, so I'll assume you're just another HD bashing troll, and continue to dismiss your posts as the verbal diarrhea that they are.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #95
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I'm not entirely sure how their sales of over 300,000 touring bikes since 2009 is a bad thing. Surely a recall of a rear brake switch is less an indication of 'crappiness' than consistent rear drive failures, deforming fuel tanks, and other issues that plague a few euro brands.

I don't see you posting about that, so I'll assume you're just another HD bashing troll, and continue to dismiss your posts as the verbal diarrhea that they are.
What you don't see is simply your ignorance; stop assuming, maybe you will less likely to make mistakes.

Diarrhea though may be unpleasant, but necessary when you have things in your digestive system that don't belong there. If you keep ignoring the diarrhea, you just end up hurting yourself.

I never claim BMW is any better than HD.

Cat0020 screwed with this post 10-31-2011 at 10:20 AM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #96
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,376
I'm not seeing any rules violated here.. so long as we keep it civil... some garage talk will pass too.. and feel free to use PM if it's a personal issue and the Ignore function is good one too.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #97
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Soooooo.... Wonder if there are any other new for 2012 bikes that will make a good pillion option? (Trying to un-hijack my thread...)
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #98
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
Soooooo.... Wonder if there are any other new for 2012 bikes that will make a good pillion option? (Trying to un-hijack my thread...)

You mean like the 2012 made-in-Japan Honda Goldwing? I drove a buddies GL1800 this summer. Wow. There's a reason they've sold a ton of 'em. Not the kind of thing you want to take down a gravel road, but if you're sticking to pavement... I know it's not what you're looking for, but for 2 up riding very hard to beat a GL1500 or 1800... except maybe an ST1300 (luv 'em too).
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #99
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
All this is alittle pointless since ya ain't buying til after the 2012s hit and we really don't have all that info plus you really limit yourself buy ruling out japan & germany. If you are leaning towards the sprint ya really owe yourself a look at the ninja 1000. I don't think Japanese bike/cars have any "soul" either (honda & toyota are the worst) but the ninja 1000 is a great bike imho (even with them funky mufflers). There are exceptions to every generalization.
0ldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #100
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
That Guzzi doesn't look like my pillion would like it much...

And I already said I'm not considering German or Japanese soulless sewing machines...

But, thanks for playing!

Guzzi is Italian????
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #101
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
We have looked at the Connie, but if I was gonna go with a straight ST, I'd go with the Sprint; more character.
I am considering a Connie over a Sprint mainly because of the dealer network. I have been broken down in the middle of the Powder River Basin trying to get something fixed before when the nearest dealer is a state away. And those are big states.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #102
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I'm in a similar boat, looking for a bike in the same weight and power class that a passenger would be comfortable on. I'm not restricting my country of origin however...

Several folks here have suggested the new Kawasaki Ninja 1000. I know you aren't looking at "soulless Japanese bikes", but it might be worth a look. A ton of very positive reviews.
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #103
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
All this is alittle pointless since ya ain't buying til after the 2012s hit and we really don't have all that info plus you really limit yourself buy ruling out japan & germany. If you are leaning towards the sprint ya really owe yourself a look at the ninja 1000. I don't think Japanese bike/cars have any "soul" either (honda & toyota are the worst) but the ninja 1000 is a great bike imho (even with them funky mufflers). There are exceptions to every generalization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
I'm in a similar boat, looking for a bike in the same weight and power class that a passenger would be comfortable on. I'm not restricting my country of origin however...

Several folks here have suggested the new Kawasaki Ninja 1000. I know you aren't looking at "soulless Japanese bikes", but it might be worth a look. A ton of very positive reviews.
Yeah, I actually have looked at it. I even posted it over at my VFR forum, as what the VFR1200 shoulda been (in specs anyway). Most of the newer Japanese bikes are a little too "transformer" looking for me, don't really know how else to describe it.

Also, there's the sound. That inline 4 sewing machine sound just doesn't do it for me either. Now, if Honda would take that new 1200 VFR engine, put it into the old 800 chassis, upgrade the suspension and brakes, we'd be talking about a new Honda for me...
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #104
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1952 View Post
Guzzi is Italian????
I know I'm new here, but that's a joke, right?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #105
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Cool2

So, as an attempt to resurrect this thread;

I've been hovering over at the Triumph Tiger Explorer thread, and it's still high on my consideration list.

The wife and I used all the info from this thread and many others, and were almost set on the Duc Multistrada, but it appears the Tiger Explorer is almost as capable, while much less expensive, and besides that, it's a Trumpet.

Now, all that being said, I was causing a mess over there asking about smaller, more "Supermoto'eske" front wheels and about all the butt-ugly panniers for "adventure bikes", even though we know most of those 1200's will almost never see any real dirt.

So tonight, I was reading up on the KTM 990 SMT and the Ape Dorsoduro 1200. Some folks on here brought up the KTM before. Looking at the placement of the rear pegs, looks like both would still be in the wheel house for the pillions leg room, and both are 100+ pony's and well under 500 lbs. What I haven't found much info on, is how good either are for more sport-touring; thoughts?

If I win the lotto, it appears that Motus is looking better and better, and is closer to what I'd like if I could design what I'm looking for myself. But, at $30K+, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

So there you go, some fodder to try to reignite this discussion. If you're new here, please check out the first couple posts I started with, as they lay the ground work for the discussion.