Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #121
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
This thread title got my attention as I am in the same boat. Post 1 took me out of the suggestions for the most part since I am focusing more on jap bikes and maybe a BMW, but would pick a trumpy ST or GT out of any of your suggestions.

Then I read the post below and am all since that bike currently has my attention and have found a couple '12 leftovers under 9 grand for an ADV model with bags. That is NOT a bad buy on a rock solid reliable bike.....that is unfortunately ugly as sin. So ugly that it's growing on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
I agree the V-Strom doesn't have much excitement to it. It's really just straight utility, like a basic SUV.

I still need to take a seat with the pillion on the Multi. I too don't like that duck beak. For the cost, the difference between it and the Triumph Explorer isn't really enough to warrant the cost delta I don't think.

If I was going to go with the Triumph, I'd likely stick to the new big Explorer, as that 1200 has the juice to move me, the pillion and our junk much better than 800.

Like most 4x4 vehicles on the road today, my "adventure bike" will likely never see anything more than a dirt road, so no knobbies needed for me.

I don't see the ST4S on the list of Ducs in the USA; do you mean the Street Fighter?
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #122
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
That is NOT a bad buy on a rock solid reliable bike.....that is unfortunately ugly as sin. So ugly that it's growing on me
I agree; plus with American Suzuki going bankrupt, you may be able to leverage that for even further discounts...

But, I'm willing to pay the extra duckets for that beautiful Duc!
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #123
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
I agree; plus with American Suzuki going bankrupt, you may be able to leverage that for even further discounts...
Unlikely, their motorcycle division is quite healthy. It was the cars that were dragging them down.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #124
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Unlikely, their motorcycle division is quite healthy. It was the cars that were dragging them down.
As I mentioned elsewhere; American Suzuki is only the importer of Suzuki's (cars, bikes, watercraft, etc.), and have nothing to do with the manufacture of any of their vehicles.

However, they are the importer who supplies all the dealers here in the USA, so you may be able to leverage that, even though after bankruptcy they are going to continue to import everything but the cars (which are still being made) into the USA.

Just saying, another bargaining chip, or not, your choice. If it'd save me a few hundred or more, I'd mention that I was aware the dealer's flow of bikes could be affected by the bankruptcy of the importer, and that I'd be helping them out by buying one of their bikes to keep them afloat...

But then again, I'm a hard-a$$ who spent 6 hours haggling over my last vehicle purchase... Though it saved me over $10K on my truck.
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #125
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Did the paperwork and closed the deal tonight on my new Ducati Diavel Strada... Soon as they install the Akrapovic and Ohlins, I'll pick her up!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #126
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Amora, the Enchantress came home with me today...

Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #127
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Amora, the Enchantress came home with me today...

I love that bike! Other than a few misgivings about the difficulty of getting parts/repairs in the hinterlands, that is high on my list of favorite new bikes.

But holy crap did that get hit by the ugly stick!! Homer Simpson musta designed the asthetics.... It's like a woman with a great body and a horrendous face.

I still want it. Must be a blast to ride.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #128
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Some better pics...

Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #129
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,906
Just curios, can you mount a top box on the diavel? You won't be carrying much in those saddles, excuse me panniers. If the SO doesn't pack very light, I don't think you've done with your search yet.
The multi with a confortable seat was just too tall for me but was perfect in every other aspect, it even has larger panniers as an option alla granturismo which as everything for touring standard.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #130
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Just curios, can you mount a top box on the diavel? You won't be carrying much in those saddles, excuse me panniers. If the SO doesn't pack very light, I don't think you've done with your search yet.
The multi with a confortable seat was just too tall for me but was perfect in every other aspect, it even has larger panniers as an option alla granturismo which as everything for touring standard.
Duc doesn't make one, at least not in the literature I got; but I wouldn't be surprised if the aftermarket doesn't make one...

We don't need it in our house; the most we're gonna do is weekend gettaways on it.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #131
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Congrats on your purchase. I hope you and the wife are very happy.

I love that bike now that I've seen one in person. No offense to your photographic abilities, but those pictures reinforce for me the notion that the Diavel is one of the least photogenic bikes ever made.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote