Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #16
PSUcanary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Normally I would tell someone who is about to embark on such a trip to enjoy every minute of it, but with you, I know this is something you don't need to be told....

I look forward to the RR!

Christian
PSUcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #17
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
That front end looks crazy cool.

Have a good one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
That front tire is crazy.

Jamie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holistic View Post
good luck on the road, I like your Versys, gonna still some ideas from you. What tires are that, model and manufacture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Good upgrades to the Vers.

What is the size & manufacture of the ft tire?

Don't forget your plug kit.

Wow, lots of questions about the front tire!!! Well I guess when you mount what is technically a rear tire up front on a bike, you're bound to get some looks and questions. For all inquiring minds, the front tire is a Metzler Tourance, size 130/80 17, and the rear is also a Metzler Tourance, size 150/70 17. It handles a little different from the stock tires, but after about 150 miles or so, I'm getting really used to it. The only thing that I noticed when I took it out for it's first spin was that the front end felt a little heavier than before and the bike seemed to fall into a lean more easily in turns. No big deal, just something to be mindful of. Just wait 'till I get to Watson Lake, YT, I've shipped some tires there ahead of me to put on the bike for when I hit all the gravel and stuff. I don't want to ruin the surprise by telling what they are now, but let's just say that they're knobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadok View Post
Nice job, XCR. I was quite taken by the Versys when it was released. You have done a great job of making it a cross country tourer. They are very reasonably priced, even in Oz, but I'm surprised I don't see more on the road.
I fully agree. While I have not run much off paved roads with mine, I've seen others do amazing things with theirs. They're very reasonably priced over here too, and they've got a tried and true powerplant in the frame. The only thing I wish they'd done differently is to put a 19" rim up front. But who knows, that may not even be necessary.

To all others who have posted their well wishes so far, I greatly appreciate it. Only 70 hours or so 'till departure time!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #18
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,811
This is gonna be great...subscribed
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Hey Denis!
Found this one early and will be watching for places Rita and I should plan on seeing.
Your hand guards and highway pegs look great on the Versys.....but don't have the personality of the ones you put on the DRZ for your ride back home from the TAT.

Have a good trip.

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
twohawks
Not Afraid

Oddometer: 2,753
Laugh Subscribed

Rock and Roll Denis!

One of these days we're gonna hit one of these trips together I hope!

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 780
Subscribed!

Ride On Brotha!

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #22
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 496
Looking forward to reading your RR. Like you I decided to buy a Versys for a "bucket list" long ride. I'm traveling from South Carolina to New Mexico and then on to Montana. Plan to leave after July 4th and spend about a month traveling.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
PsychoSayWhat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
In! Good luck and ride safe!

PsychoSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #24
stitchergary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I've had the Versys on my radar for a couple years...Looking forward to this ride report....Stay safe!!
Gary-In a Little Town in Northern NY
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #25
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
I'm in!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #26
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDrive View Post
Hey Denis!
Found this one early and will be watching for places Rita and I should plan on seeing.
Your hand guards and highway pegs look great on the Versys.....but don't have the personality of the ones you put on the DRZ for your ride back home from the TAT.

Have a good trip.
Hi Bob! So glad you found this RR. Don't know how far into CA I'll go on this trip, but I am planning on swinging down into CA to atleast check out Lassen Volcanic park on the return leg. It's always been closed when I've been out that way and this time I'm determined to make it more than half a mile into the park! However, after my Alaska run, I plan on re-running the TAT and my dad will be riding along with me. So who knows, we may meet up then. Just in case we don't get to meet up, all the best to you and Rita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohawks View Post
Rock and Roll Denis!

One of these days we're gonna hit one of these trips together I hope!

That would be awesome Michael! Say.....what are you doing in August!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Looking forward to reading your RR. Like you I decided to buy a Versys for a "bucket list" long ride. I'm traveling from South Carolina to New Mexico and then on to Montana. Plan to leave after July 4th and spend about a month traveling.
Good deal my friend, if you've never been out that way you'll have a blast! PS, I live in Columbia for a while and my oldest brother used to live just outside Charleston (Mt. Pleasant). Small world isn't it!?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #27
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

This weekend was a busy one, what with final preparations for the trip. Sunday was an especially rough day, with some heavy duty prep work for the upcoming trip. Here, just take a look for yourself!

That's me on the right, toasting everyone!

And friends on the boat that came out with me.

No the boat is not mine, I'm not that lucky. Just lucky enough to have friends that invite me along. Thanks Steve, I'll be thinking of this day when I'm freezing my cahones off, going over Atigun pass on the way to Deadhorse!

For those who are interested, these pics were taken at Boca Grande. A small key just a little west of Key West.

Well now I got to get back to being serious. Today's goal is to fully pack up all my belongings. Less than 48 hours until departure time!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #28
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
So not even a little preview of the proposed route Denis? ...
Sorry for the late reply there hppyfngy, but here goes. These are just screen shots from Mapsource where I layed out the route.

The northern route is the route going, and the southern route is the return route.

The eastern route is the route going, and the western route is the return route.

In these last two pictures is gets a little screwy but here's the main gist. From Watson lake I plan on riding to Dawson City. From Dawson I'll do a one way up the Dempster to Inuvik and back. I'll then head to Fairbanks by way of Chicken and Tok. Then Onto Deadhorse and back to Fairbanks. On the return I'll then head south from Fairbanks and swing by Denali National park and back to Tok. From there the southernly route back to Watson Lake again.

If I have enough energy while on the road, and I remember to do so, I'll try to save my tracks and post pics of the route.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #29
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Hey Denis

Been looking forward to reading this report since you told me about it this winter when I met you down in Flamingo camping. I like the changes you made to the bike since then.

We are headed down to the Keys in the next month or so, but you will be long gone by then. I am sure you are ready. You have to be a little stir crazy being a rider and living in the Keys.

Have fun on the trip. It sounds great!!!

Dan
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #30
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Hey Denis!! Glad to see your plans held together and you are starting. Nice job on the bike. If you get a late start on Wednesday give me a shout(pm'd phone number) and I will buy a beer and burger in Homestead as you come through!!!

My adventure starts in 25 days!!! Lots of Florida folks headed to AK this year!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote