User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #31
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
I'm in. Looking forward to this one.

I've seen on the news that there is lots of flooding going on up in the north central part of the country... do you think any of that is going to impact your route?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #32
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post

I've seen on the news that there is lots of flooding going on up in the north central part of the country... do you think any of that is going to impact your route?
Denis always has a back up plan

airborndad screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 04:55 AM
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #33
Pflum
Throttle Junkie

Oddometer: 107
This will be an awesome trip, we rode up to Deadhorse last July.
Are you coming back on the Cassiar? If so, make sure to check out Telegraph Creek in Dease Lake, B.C. It's a 70 mile, dead end gravel road with some of the best scenery we saw on the entire trip. Definitely worth the half day or so it takes to ride it. Have fun and safe travels!
1998 Gas Gas ec250
2004 Yamaha FZ6
Pflum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #34
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
For all inquiring minds, the front tire is a Metzler Tourance, size 130/80 17...
damn, ya absolutely positive that will work? looks dangerous.

nice setup on the bike. safe travels.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #35
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Today is the day! Vaya Con Dios Brother! Stay safe and can't wait to see your RR.
Bob
Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #36
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,890
Alright, got a lot of posts to respond to, and I'm doing my final load of laundry this morning before my dad gets in and we have to pack up my truck, so here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post
Hey Denis

Been looking forward to reading this report since you told me about it this winter when I met you down in Flamingo camping. I like the changes you made to the bike since then.

We are headed down to the Keys in the next month or so, but you will be long gone by then. I am sure you are ready. You have to be a little stir crazy being a rider and living in the Keys.

Have fun on the trip. It sounds great!!!

Dan
Hiya Dan! How's that Shadow treating you? Too bad we'll be missing each other when you come to the keys. Thanks for the kind words about the bike; it has taken a little transformation since you last saw it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Hey Denis!! Glad to see your plans held together and you are starting. Nice job on the bike. If you get a late start on Wednesday give me a shout(pm'd phone number) and I will buy a beer and burger in Homestead as you come through!!!

My adventure starts in 25 days!!! Lots of Florida folks headed to AK this year!!
Thanks for the invite, but I'm more than likely get an early start tomorrow morning; I'm just so damn excited! I don't know if I'll be able to fall asleep tonight! Instead, how 'bout you keep an eye on my RR for when you hit the road at the end of the month. Maybe we can meet up for a brew somewhere up north!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post

Hmmm.....hadn't heard about flooding. Like Airborndad said though, I'll come up with something. Who knows, sometimes when you have to detour you see the coolest things!

QUOTE=Pflum;16100886]This will be an awesome trip, we rode up to Deadhorse last July.
Are you coming back on the Cassiar? If so, make sure to check out Telegraph Creek in Dease Lake, B.C. It's a 70 mile, dead end gravel road with some of the best scenery we saw on the entire trip. Definitely worth the half day or so it takes to ride it. Have fun and safe travels![/QUOTE]

I will be! Dease lake is right on my return route. I've now put a waypoint there and will be sure to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

PS. Anyone else that has any other tips like this PLEASE let me know! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
damn, ya absolutely positive that will work? looks dangerous.

nice setup on the bike. safe travels.

You know, now that you mention it, I am starting to worry a little bit. After all, people have warned me that the guy who told me it would be safe to do this is a bit of a nut job!

Just kiddin'! Thanks a lot for all the advice and tips in my prep work for this trip JD, I greatly appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBaloo22 View Post
Today is the day! Vaya Con Dios Brother! Stay safe and can't wait to see your RR.
Bob
Bob my good man!!! Thanks for the well wishes. Hope all is well in VA. We'll have to get together when I get back to VA in late July/early August.

Alright, now back to laundry, and then packing up the truck. Less than 24 hrs 'till take off!!!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #37
agstacker
Rider

Oddometer: 24
Dennis the bike looks great, you definitely know how to prep a bike for a long trip, sense looking at your DRZ at Laurel Fork I've been working to get mine ready for a fall trip. Have a safe trip I'll be following your RR.
agstacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #38
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,530
As always, so well thought out and expressed.

May God's hands be on the handlebars along with yours, Denis.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #39
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
Dennis the bike looks great, you definitely know how to prep a bike for a long trip, sense looking at your DRZ at Laurel Fork I've been working to get mine ready for a fall trip. Have a safe trip I'll be following your RR.
Thank you for the kind words; I like to think that I've done my homework.
Where you thinking of going in the fall? I'll be looking forward to a ride report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
As always, so well thought out and expressed.

May God's hands be on the handlebars along with yours, Denis.
Thank you George. Having the big guy upstairs keeping an eye on me can only help.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #40
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

SPOT Tracker Page

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've gone ahead and added the tracking option to my Spot Tracker at the behest of my dad. So here's the link to my SPOT.

Damn, now I won't be able to hide anymore!
Just kidding. This is always good for when trying to meet up with other riders. This way they can look up and see where you are.

If you open up this page though before tomorrow morning when I get on the road you won't see nothing though as I haven't left Key West yet.

LESS THAN 12 HOURS 'TILL TAKE OFF!!!

Alright, now to try and get to bed.

PS. I've also added my SPOT page into my signature line.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #41
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,548
The Cassiar Hy has a forest fire going. It has been closed, but according to this link it has re-opened:

http://www.drivebc.ca/#listView&severity=Major

Might want to put that link in your favorites,,

Have a great ride, man.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #42
bwwoodard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Bon Voyage!

Have a great, fun, & safe trip! May the Versys serve you well!!

Looking forward to the updates...

Byron
bwwoodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #43
vibenation
Out of Rat Race

Oddometer: 62
Bon Voyage!

What a ride you have planned! Know that many people (myself included) will be spending countless hours living vicariously with you from their desks at work, and if you look over your shoulder long enough you might even catch the faintest glimmer of the pack running just a heartbeat behind you :)

Bon Voyage, and very much subscribed!
vibenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #44
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Seat Up, Rubber Down!!

Have a good ride and maybe I will catch you up north sometime mid July!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #45
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Just wanted to post up a quick note. After a less than organized morning, , I was cruising out of Key West at 9:30 (after swinging by to get a picture of the southern most point and US 1 mile marker 0). In Florida city now, just stopped for lunch at a great taco place I'd found when I went camping in the Everglades a couple months back.

Pictures to follow.

Don't forget that you can see where I am at any given point via my spot tracker! Link is in my signature line.