Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #542
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
The First ALCAN Ride by Motorcycle

http://www.youtube.com/embed/YmJAWLzJBRk
That was awesome...airborn do you mind if I post this on my RR?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #543
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 970
Quote:

Very cool....Thanks for sharing
Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #544
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
That was awesome...airborn do you mind if I post this on my RR?
go 4 it
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #545
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
This was so fun reading this awhile ago and now I find myself back re-reading it again. That must be interesting to cause that? Thanks for your time.

Gary

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride

Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Wow! Thank you for the compliment. I'm so glad you've enjoyed my RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer43 View Post
Those tkc-80's look baadass on the Versys, would you let us know what size you chose to go with? I may try this on mine. Awesome ride report
I posted this up earlier in the RR, but both tires are technically 17" rear tires; the front one being a 130 and the rear one being a 150. I was very pleased with how they worked, and in my opinion did not negatively affect the handling very much at all.

Quote:

Wow Keith, that video is so cool! Thanks for posting it up. I really enjoyed the part at the end where they linked the two motorcycles together with a spot for the husky to sit/ride in!

On a side note, I've been finishing up my prep work for another run on the TAT. The departure date has been pushed back and back due to family needs, but it is pretty much now set in stone, leaving VA on September 8th or 9th. In my opinion this is really as far back as we can push it because if we wait much longer we may run into problems when trying to cross over the Rockies or Sierras! On the positive side of things though I'm hoping that since it will be nearer to fall, the temps may be cooler, scenery and colors will be spectacular, and whatever happens it will be an adventure!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #546
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Good to hear you've got a definite departure date for your TAT re-ride. You said ".....as far back as WE can push it..." so I assume your Dad is still going with you. I like when old guys push kids and show them how it's done... I can almost hear my Grandson's eyes roll from here.

You've set a pretty high bar to beat ,with this report, but I'm betting you will. And with your Dad there to take care of you, you'll have a whole lot more time to take even MORE great pics and write near poetic prose!!

We'll be toughing it out in Marina a couple of days after you start out and will have a Gin & Tonic in your honor when we see your first post.

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #547
xmonger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Great ride report. It got my 5 star vote!

Thank you so much for sharing.
xmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #548
Oldfart123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Complements

Everyone is thanking you for the ride report but I'm most impressed with your kindness in replying to any and all questions. That takes patience!
Thanks
Oldfart123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #549
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Finally got to take a Versys for a spin yesterday. Aside from the seat (which I loathed), it was a nice machine. Smooth, quick, nimble, no complaints. Aside from the seat .

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #550
xmonger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Finally got to take a Versys for a spin yesterday. Aside from the seat (which I loathed), it was a nice machine. Smooth, quick, nimble, no complaints. Aside from the seat .
You need to do the board mod, just like Dennis.
xmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #551
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDrive View Post
Good to hear you've got a definite departure date for your TAT re-ride. You said ".....as far back as WE can push it..." so I assume your Dad is still going with you. I like when old guys push kids and show them how it's done... I can almost hear my Grandson's eyes roll from here.

You've set a pretty high bar to beat ,with this report, but I'm betting you will. And with your Dad there to take care of you, you'll have a whole lot more time to take even MORE great pics and write near poetic prose!!

We'll be toughing it out in Marina a couple of days after you start out and will have a Gin & Tonic in your honor when we see your first post.
Yep, dad is in; we're currently on day 6 I think of this trip as I type this. All is going well so far; just had our first rain day today.

Don't drink all the gin now! I may make it out to CA and if so we'll have to see if our schedules align so we can meet up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
Great ride report. It got my 5 star vote!

Thank you so much for sharing.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart123 View Post
Everyone is thanking you for the ride report but I'm most impressed with your kindness in replying to any and all questions. That takes patience!
Thanks

Thank you, it's my pleasure. I guess I do it because this way people reading this RR see that I actually read everyone's posts and comments, and it is one of the reasons why I put in the effort to keep a live RR up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Yeah, it's fun right!? You'd think that with all the smart engineers they got over there that they'd be able to design a comfy seat!? Oh well, at least this way it keeps the after market seat makers in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
You need to do the board mod, just like Dennis.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #552
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder
Finally got to take a Versys for a spin yesterday. Aside from the seat (which I loathed), it was a nice machine. Smooth, quick, nimble, no complaints. Aside from the seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post

Yeah, it's fun right!? You'd think that with all the smart engineers they got over there that they'd be able to design a comfy seat!? Oh well, at least this way it keeps the after market seat makers in business.

just a thought
if all of the engineers are Japanese then that seat might be pretty wide and comfortable if your a 4 feet tall japanese engineer

OK back to my beer
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #553
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Thank You list

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but with all the travelling, I haven't had the time to sit down and put this together. Now that my travels for the year have come an end, and I have the time to sit down and think. So here's a more detailed, and hopefully appropriate, list of those people who were instrumental in making this trip as special and memorable as it was to me.

- Captain Jim and Joanne
- Sean & Lisa
- Jamie & and the rest of the KW crew; thanks for the send off! Wish I was back there on Boca Grand, drinking cold ones with y'all!
- Stephen H in Foley, AL
- Ron & Tammy in Iowa
- Steve B & family in Kalispell, MT
- Alan from CA (aka ajeli)
- Gary & Josee
- Michael L (Air Force Lodge)
- Detlef, Simon, Olaf, & Toby, the German kayakers & their guide that I met in Carmacks.
- Chris (aka Dr. Science)
- Jarda & Dobra
- Dan & Shawn from Adventure Cycleworks in Fairbanks
- Frederick & Chris, thanks for the adventures and good times on the Dalton.
- Nora & Harold in Anchorage
- Jack (aka Alcan Rider)
- Greg, Peter, & Ken, British Columbia riders in Lillooet.
- And......ALL OF YOU! Like I've said before, you guys who read and post up on my RRs are a great source of inspiration and energy which I feed off of while on these trips.

Thanks,

Denis.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #554
gun 4 hire
FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer: 128
Yo Denis

Hope you had safe travels.....Look forward to seeing more of your posts. Be good, Happy Holidays.

Steve / Key West

87 Honda Rebel 450 {soon to be ratted}
http://tat09.blogspot.com/
gun 4 hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #555
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
I know this is 3 years after the completion of this RR but I just read this whole thing start to finish and I must say you did an excellent job. I spent 5 months touring Alaska on a 2009 XR650l in 2012 and I must say it was some of the best riding of my life. I now have a 2009 Versys and am looking forward to traveling to Alaska on it next year. Good luck in all your future travels!
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote