Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #46
agstacker
Rider

Oddometer: 24
[QUOTE=XC Rider;16109862]Thank you for the kind words; I like to think that I've done my homework.
Where you thinking of going in the fall? I'll be looking forward to a ride report!

Where going to leave Harrisonburg back roads through Virginia,West Virginia and Kentucky to Jellico, the TAT through Tennessee. Then Back to the Trials Training Center near Chattanooga,to North Carolina for the Tail the Dragon and backup the Parkway.
agstacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #47
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,879
Shhhhhhhh.......I'm stealth camping tonight. .
Will post up pics and story tomorrow or whenever I get wifi.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #48
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Looking forward to following your ride report.

My wife rode a Versys on our trip to Alaska last summer; the bike performed flawlessly with a similar setup, other than the large front tire. We did put on a three tooth less rear sprocket to reduce highway rpm's and had to add Grip Puppies to reduce handlebar vibration. Used a Tourance in back and an Avon Distanza in front.

Recommend staying at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks before and after the Haul Road trip. Numerous adventure riders assemble there before the trip north. Easy to find someone to ride north with if desired.

I see your route takes you near our home in NW Iowa. Holler if you need a bed/shower as you get closer. I'm leaving on the TAT on June 20th though.

Ride safe.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #49
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
Where going to leave Harrisonburg back roads through Virginia,West Virginia and Kentucky to Jellico, the TAT through Tennessee. Then Back to the Trials Training Center near Chattanooga,to North Carolina for the Tail the Dragon and backup the Parkway.
That's about more my size ride than the vast journeys of Denis. Hope to do a Denis-style ride one day, just not ready yet. Is that you, Clarence? Your ride sounds terriffic too; hope it turns out so! When are you going?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #50
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Made it to Foley, Alabama earlier today. Staying with a buddy of mine. Day 1 update coming up shortly.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #51
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Day 1, June 8th, 2011

The morning final pack up of the bike went off almost without a hitch; just went a little crazy trying to find a few last minute items that weren't where I thought I'd left them. In the end I found what I needed, and soon enough I was on the road to get get some departure pictures before leaving Key West.

Saying goodbye to my home for the last year and a half.

Both the bike and the truck, loaded up and ready to go!

Odometer before leaving Key West.

The required, Southern Most Point picture.

And then by mile marker 0 on US 1.

With the obligatory pictures from Key West out of the way, it was time to get on the road. The weather was nice, a little overcast, but at least it kept the temps down. Not great for picture taking though.

At Bahia Honda.

Got a picture of an osprey flying by.

The seven mile bridge, from a distance.

The old seven mile bridge.

Old on the left, new on the right.

Riding down the seven mile bridge, with the old bridge along side.

Random pics from heading up the keys.

Poor little bugger got caught in my handguards.

The 18 mile stretch from Key Largo to the main land.

Once we arrived at Florida city, I took my dad to this little taco place I'd discovered a couple months back to grab some lunch. The food was great!

After lunch, dad and I said our goodbyes, and I was now on my own.

Palm tree farms!

Rolling up Krome Avenue, CR 997.

From Krome Ave, I turned west and suddenly felt like I was a Ramblin' Man......after all, I was rolling down HWY 41!

Hmmm.....looks a little hazy up ahead.

Oh yeah, looks like wild fires!

I got so close I could hear the fire!

Also got to see a helicopter making water drops.

Went by the Miccosukee reservation.

More of HWY 41 (the Tamiami trail).

The was a lot of wild life along the canal, but most took off by the time I came to a stop along the side of the road; even the alligators would slide back into the water.

Sneeky little buggers!

Got this one!

Had planned to stay on 41 until turning north onto HWY 29, but saw this turn off and decided to take a chance.

Turned out to be a great little section of dirt, about 8 to 10 miles long before it looped over to HWY 29. The bike was handling great, and I was getting in a groove!

Is it just me, or is this just a little silly!?

I mean honestly, how do the panthers know that they're supposed to cross here!?

More pictures from rolling down the road. Hey look at this, turns and curves!

And trees that are not palm trees!

Lots of oranges groves.

A cool looking mural.

As the day drew to a close, I was planning on staying at Hillsborough state park a little south of Zephyrhills, but they wanted almost $30 just for me to pitch a tent. So I talked with the ranger on duty who suggested I go a little farther north to a state forest. There they had more primitive sites that were quite a bit less. So, even though the sun was setting, I set off for another 40 minute ride. The site was a little off the beaten path, but I was able to find it without too much trouble. However, turns out their campground was closed!? Well, I'd seen a camp host trailer, with a forestry department truck in front of it, so I went back there and knocked on the door to see if anyone was in. I got no answer, and so it being as late as it was, I decided to make the call to drive around the closed gate (motorcycle are so key! ) and set up camp here for the night. After all, if anyone came by and asked me what I was doing here, I'd just say I had to pull over for safety's sake.

Stats for the day.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #52
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485

airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #53
twohawks
Not Afraid

Oddometer: 2,729
Laugh Photos

Glad to see you still take great photos. This is going to be great Denis...thanks for taking us with you!

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #54
7cells
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Salut Denis, no rain on the way home, all your things are dry in the garage. Nice pictures, I'll send you mine after I finished the high priority chores (that mom has for me). Nice pictures, and great report, quite entertaining . I wish I was with you, ride safe.
7cells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #55
Venkman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
This is the first ride report I have read live. It is a lot cooler this way.

Back in March I spent a bunch of time on 2 wheels in the part of the country you are near currently. I did around 1300 miles. Forgot the motor though. The whole time I was thinking it would be better on my motorcycle.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #56
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Have a good ride and maybe I will catch you up north sometime mid July!!

Sounds good. Keep an eye on my SPOT and if we're anywhere close to each other once you get under way, just give me a shout. I don't mind a little detour! Especially if it means either seeing something cool and meeting new people.

[QUOTE=agstacker;16119287]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Thank you for the kind words; I like to think that I've done my homework.
Where you thinking of going in the fall? I'll be looking forward to a ride report!

Sounds like a good trip. I'll be interested in hearing more and seeing pictures about that trials training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Looking forward to following your ride report.

My wife rode a Versys on our trip to Alaska last summer; the bike performed flawlessly with a similar setup, other than the large front tire. We did put on a three tooth less rear sprocket to reduce highway rpm's and had to add Grip Puppies to reduce handlebar vibration. Used a Tourance in back and an Avon Distanza in front.

Recommend staying at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks before and after the Haul Road trip. Numerous adventure riders assemble there before the trip north. Easy to find someone to ride north with if desired.

I see your route takes you near our home in NW Iowa. Holler if you need a bed/shower as you get closer. I'm leaving on the TAT on June 20th though.

Ride safe.
I'm pretty sure I read you ride report. U of A in Fairbanks is on my list. Seems like everyone headed to Deadhorse uses it as a temporary home base. Good to know that I might meet others headed there; I was supposed to have a friend joining me on this trip, but he unfortunately had to back out.

Thanks for the invite, PM me you coordinates. If I'm in the area before you leave for the TAT I'd love to swing on by. To me trips like this are half about the place you go and things you see, and the other half is about the people you meet.

Gonna be hanging out with my buddy here in Alabama today and do a little sight seeing. I've also got to go and source a new 12v power cord for my GPS as mine for some reason stopped working yesterday. We trouble shot everything and we're pretty sure the cable is bad. I've found a new at a West Marine store, so we'll be headed there while we're out for lunch today. Day 2 update coming up later today, and then tomorrow I'll be back on the road.

Is it too early to take a day of rest after only 2 days on the road!?!?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #57
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post

Back in March I spent a bunch of time on 2 wheels in the part of the country you are near currently. I did around 1300 miles. Forgot the motor though. The whole time I was thinking it would be better on my motorcycle.
My hat is off to you sir, 1300 miles via pedal power! While I like bikes, I prefer the ones with motors in between the frames!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #58
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
I'm in. Love the versys!

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #59
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
So you have been living on a boat in Key West for the last year or so and now you are off on a cross country ride? You are blessed my friend.

That section of US1 coming out of the Keys is crazy. I guess the concrete barricades makes it better.

Good start to the trip. I love your pictures.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #60
Mistress of the dual
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
You are in for a treat. XC Rider's TAT RR was the first live RR I ever read. I got hooked and had to log in every day to get my daily fix.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote