User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #61
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,285
Nothing short of awesome, as expected!

I read his TAT RR live and it was one of my first, if not my first, live RR as well. Certainly did set a high standard.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #62
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,779
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Still in Foley, AL and planing on heading towards Birmingham in the morning to check out Barber motorsports.

Here is the update for day 2, June 9th, 2011, central FL to Foley, AL.

So I got up rather early, 6am, seeing as how I guess I wasn't supposed to camp here last night.

Here is a pic of my campsite in the morning.

Here's the cable across the road "closing off" the campground.

However, this does not stop motorcycles!

The little dirt road heading out of the state forest was a nice little piece of road. Short, but sweet.

Soon though I was back onto paved roads and heading towards Alabama.

I could tell that I was getting farther north, because I started seeing more and more live oaks with spanish moss hanging all over them.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find these trees fascinating.

As it was early in the morning, I was chasing my own shadow.

An hour or so after getting underway, I stopped by this hardware store with a cool mural on the side for a little breakfast snack.

Here are more random pics from the road. I was basically heading west on HWY 20 and then HWY 98.

Now I'm riding along side my shadow.

Hmmmm......more forest fires!?

Turns out yes.

I went right by where the fire had run right to the road that I was riding up just a day or so before. In spots, stuff was still smoldering!

A little ways up the road, I stopped for some gas and spoke with some forestry guys about the fire. Had a nice chat with one guy, goes by the name of Big John. Big John, if you end up reading this, I'll be looking forward to some pictures of the fire if you get any! Either post them up on here and/or email them to me!

After a nice chat with Big John, I was back on the road.

The court house in Mayo, which I thought was neat. Stopped here for a little lunch snack.

Another neat mural in Mayo.

Had these neat little vignettes painted in it.

Then, more riding.

Going up and over Trammel bridge in Blountstown, FL.

Arriving at Choctowatchee bay.

And heading over the causeway.

Going by Crab island, by Destin.

In Alabama, and almost at my buddy's place.

Dirt road, oh yeah! Almost there, just another quarter mile or so.

Pulled in to Stephen's place a little before 6pm and had a nice chill night. First order of business was a much needed shower. Then we proceeded to get steaks and drinks for the night. Spent the rest of the evening just hanging out with Stephen and his dad, and a friend of theirs, Gerry. Shang, Stephen's dad, had brought some sweet corn, tomatoes, and onions and those went quite well with the steak. Also I managed to source a new car charger for my GPS as mine had gone out half way through the day.

Tomorrow's plan: 1) get new car charger for GPS, and 2) sight see the important sights in the area!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #63
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Good stuff, Denis I especially liked the shot you got of the Osprey.

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #64
AKBMW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Looks like an Epic trip!! I work in dead horse I will keep an eye out for your bike.

09 R1200 ADV :)

2013 Prudhoe to Key West T2T (tip2tail)
AKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #65
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
PS. Anyone else that has any other tips like this PLEASE let me know! Thank you!
It's a while before you reach Alaska, but noticed on your map you were planning on riding from Anchorage directly to Tok. A highly recommended diversion is to turn south at Glennallen for the 120 mile over Thompson Pass to Valdez. Very scenic ride.

I'll watch your SPOT track and try to intercept you here in Glennallen.

Jack
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #66
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Great stuff so far! Here's hoping you finish on the same bike you started on (I'm reading your TAT ride report right now). The Versys looks up to the task.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #67
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Just a quick note. Camping in oak mountain state park just outside Birmingham tonight so no wifi. Will upload pics and update RR somewhere along the road tomorrow. Tomorrows destination/direction : Land between the lakes rec area.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #68
Fiend138
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks for sharing and these are some amazing photos!
Fiend138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #69
twohawks
Not Afraid

Oddometer: 2,541
Thumb

Quote:
Just a quick note. Camping in oak mountain state park just outside Birmingham tonight so no wifi. Will upload pics and update RR somewhere along the road tomorrow. Tomorrows destination/direction : Land between the lakes rec area.
How ya feeling about the Versys so far?

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #70
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBMW View Post
Looks like an Epic trip!! I work in dead horse I will keep an eye out for your bike.
Cool! Just check in on here from time to time, or look at my SPOT to see where I am. You'd probably be one of the best people to ask where exactly I can ride to dip my foot in the Beaufort sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
It's a while before you reach Alaska, but noticed on your map you were planning on riding from Anchorage directly to Tok. A highly recommended diversion is to turn south at Glennallen for the 120 mile over Thompson Pass to Valdez. Very scenic ride.

I'll watch your SPOT track and try to intercept you here in Glennallen.

Jack
Hi Jack, I already got Glennallen waypointed in my GPS. Thanks for the tip about Thompson pass to Valdez; maybe we can ride it together when I come thru!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Great stuff so far! Here's hoping you finish on the same bike you started on (I'm reading your TAT ride report right now). The Versys looks up to the task.
Hehehehehehe......yeah, I hope to use just one bike for this trip! Knock on wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohawks View Post
How ya feeling about the Versys so far?

Heya Michael, just sitting here in a McD's sippin' coffee and updating the RR.

So far I love the Versys. It's a blast on paved roads; very light, nimble, and plenty of power in reserve (well maybe not plenty being loaded down like I am). The only thing so far that I haven't gotten used to (and don't know if I will) is the seat. Let's just say, it reminds me of my seat on the DRZ before I added the sweet cheeks. However, I made an improvement to the seat yesterday, and now it's much better! Will post up what I mean later, so stay tuned!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #71
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Alright, Day 3 update, June 10, 2011. Day 3 was a day of rest; not intentional, but I needed to replace my GPS power cord as it had gone bad the day before, and my buddy Stephen was going to show me around the area. Besides, who could say no to a face like:

No that's not my buddy Stephen, that's his dog, Butters. Labs are such great dogs. He was not alone, he also had some friends outside:

There were also some cats and chickens around, but they just didn't feel picture worthy to me at the time. Oh, and trespassers beware!

So after a nice slow morning, and some breakfast, Stephen and I headed out to Pensacola to see a friends of his at West Marine where we sourced a new GPS power cord; thanks Joe! From there we looped back down to the beaches and made this our next stop.

That's right, the infamous Flora-Bama! In between these massive/expensive motel, sits a no-frill redneck bar! Gotta love it!

To the right:

And to the left:

Next stop:

Seeing as how I was planning on swinging by the Barber vintage motorcycle museum the next day, Stephen said I had to swing by his marina here first.

The place was amazing!

Inside the store, they had all these old outboard motors hanging on the wall.

And then more on one wall of their conference room. Thanks for letting us in Hanna.

Some were really neat.

As we were leaving, I had to snap a picture of this boat. It just reminded me on the Captain Ron boat!

Next stop, Pirates Cove. Apparently it's quite the party spot for people around here. Even though it was the middle of the afternoon, there were quite a few people here. I can only imagine what it must be like when the place is really hopping! Had to get a picture of this sign there because it made laugh.

Final order of business was to head back to the house to take care of a piece of bike modification that I was unable to do before leaving Key West; that is to modify the kick stand so it doesn't sink in soft ground. Here's the end result.

Alright, not as cool as the foot that I had made for my KLR:

But it should be just as effective.

Well that's about it. Tomorrow, heading to Birmingham to check out the Barber vintage motorcycle museum.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #72
bwwoodard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Lbl

Hey Denis,

After your stop at Land Between the Lakes, you heading through (or near) Owensboro? If you're in the area and need anything let me know.

Ride safe,
Byron

Quote:
bwwoodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #73
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,592
Your Spot shows you coming up to Pickwick lake.

Some excellent riding around there. Lots of great gravel roads. You'll probably not read this until you're well past it though.

Also, to the east of you a bit is Lynchburg, TN, where they make Jack Daniels. Great tour, and it's free. Highly recommended, though I'm not sure if they're open on Sunday.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #74
usp45
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Subscribed

My brother and I plan on doing Deadhorse in the next few years. Goodluck.

I will be watching to see how the Versys holds up.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #75
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,278
subscribed... good luck
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote