Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
south
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
As it happens, along with a few other bikes, I own both an '03 600RR and a '78 CX500--and I'm in west central Florida (Tampa Bay area); FWIW, I purchased the RR and its 2 predecessors from the Osborn-family-owned Honda of Winter Haven. Been riding and racing CBR600s for decades now; owned a 600 Hurricane (F1), F2, F3, and now the RR.

Any similarities between the CX and the CBR end with the fact that they're both motorcycles. Sure, you can still ride the thing, but modern sportbikes are from a whole other planet than the bikes in your sig (I've got a CB360, XL350R, and SOHC CB750 project out in the garage as well). And as far as wrenching on the RR goes, the thing looks like the space shuttle underneath that bodywork: wiring everywhere, individual coil packs for each (iridium) spark plug, 2 complete sets of injectors/injector rails, shim-under-bucket valve adjustment (gotta pull camshafts for valve adjustments--and it takes several hours to disassemble the thing just to get to the cams) so you'll need to be comfortable updating your mechanical knowledge by several decades.

On the plus side, the (main) frame is hellaciously strong, so, even as trashed as that POS looks (that's a little foreshadowing of my opinion as to what you should do ), I wouldn't be concerned about the steering head and frame. As for the forks and triples, they could quite easily be tweaked (or worse); however, replacements can be had for around $300+ depending on completeness--i.e., just the forks, or including the triples, and/or brakes, axle, etc. I happen to have both an '05 and an '06 600RR front end that I picked up for reasonable prices (to install on my '03; got the '05 set first, and then got a great deal on the '06 before I found time to make the swap).

Anyway, IMO, only way I'd bother with that thing is if I could get it for $500-$600, I was dying for a sportbike, and just didn't have the money for anything in better shape. Of course, if that was the case, I still wouldn't have the money to fix it up. If you think you kinda might want a sportbike, you can pick up a decent F3 or F4(i) on Craigslist all day long for $2K or less. H*ll, I just bought a nicely farkled, mint '01 VFR800 with 14K on the clock for less than $3K off the Tampa Bay CL.

Good luck either way, and if you ever get out to the Bay area on that CX, feel free to give me a heads-up and we can get the Twisted Twins out for a ride.
south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #17
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSteve View Post
I bought one in very similar shape about 2 years ago and put it back together. These bikes are very commonly crashed, so used parts are plentiful and cheap. The most expensive parts are the front end. Used forks go for about $400 for a decent pair, and a headlight assembly $200-300. You can get a full set of OEM fairings for around $600 on ebay if you're patient and buy them one at a time, or a shiny new aftermarket set for about the same brand new. I hear the fitment is pretty good on most aftermarket sets these days, I went OEM and a rattle can paintjob myself.

Here's mine under reconstruction.

I replaced...let's see.

All fairings
Swingarm
Subframe
Windshield
Taillight\Turn signals
Mirrors
Left Clipon
Stator cover
Chain and sprockets (converted to 520)
Installed a crash kit
2 New tires
Changed all fluids and filters

Took about 2-3 months in the garage, total cost was about $2500 including buying the bike. It's got 13,000 miles on it now, had about 9,000 when I got it. I could sell it for about $4000 if I wanted to.

As far as the bike, it's about as pure a sportbike as you can get. Handles like a scalpel, takes off like a rocket. The ergos take a little getting used to. Forget 2-up riding, unless you like getting your nuts smashed into the tank at every stop. I usually need to take a break after about 75 miles, because my back/neck hurts. I'm 6'0" 230 lbs btw.

I love the bike, really. Every time I think about selling it, the handling makes me keep it. There's isn't much that makes me happier than tearing up the twisties on that bike.

If you can get it for around $1500, and you're fairly good at swinging a wrench, I'd so go for it if that's what you want. I have no regrets about buying mine. PM me if you do, I'll send you a copy of the factory service manual. It helped do every single job on the bike.

Here's my "after" picture. Your mileage may vary, but like I said, I don't regret buying my wreck. I forgot to mention, a good deal of that $2500 I spent on tools and not the bike or parts (chain breaker/riveter, good torque wrench, big ass metric hex wrenches). If the bike runs, and the frame or forks aren't bent, you could have a very fun project.
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
King_Panther13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
As it happens, along with a few other bikes, I own both an '03 600RR and a '78 CX500--and I'm in west central Florida (Tampa Bay area); FWIW, I purchased the RR and its 2 predecessors from the Osborn-family-owned Honda of Winter Haven. Been riding and racing CBR600s for decades now; owned a 600 Hurricane (F1), F2, F3, and now the RR.

Any similarities between the CX and the CBR end with the fact that they're both motorcycles. Sure, you can still ride the thing, but modern sportbikes are from a whole other planet than the bikes in your sig (I've got a CB360, XL350R, and SOHC CB750 project out in the garage as well). And as far as wrenching on the RR goes, the thing looks like the space shuttle underneath that bodywork: wiring everywhere, individual coil packs for each (iridium) spark plug, 2 complete sets of injectors/injector rails, shim-under-bucket valve adjustment (gotta pull camshafts for valve adjustments--and it takes several hours to disassemble the thing just to get to the cams) so you'll need to be comfortable updating your mechanical knowledge by several decades.

On the plus side, the (main) frame is hellaciously strong, so, even as trashed as that POS looks (that's a little foreshadowing of my opinion as to what you should do ), I wouldn't be concerned about the steering head and frame. As for the forks and triples, they could quite easily be tweaked (or worse); however, replacements can be had for around $300+ depending on completeness--i.e., just the forks, or including the triples, and/or brakes, axle, etc. I happen to have both an '05 and an '06 600RR front end that I picked up for reasonable prices (to install on my '03; got the '05 set first, and then got a great deal on the '06 before I found time to make the swap).

Anyway, IMO, only way I'd bother with that thing is if I could get it for $500-$600, I was dying for a sportbike, and just didn't have the money for anything in better shape. Of course, if that was the case, I still wouldn't have the money to fix it up. If you think you kinda might want a sportbike, you can pick up a decent F3 or F4(i) on Craigslist all day long for $2K or less. H*ll, I just bought a nicely farkled, mint '01 VFR800 with 14K on the clock for less than $3K off the Tampa Bay CL.

Good luck either way, and if you ever get out to the Bay area on that CX, feel free to give me a heads-up and we can get the Twisted Twins out for a ride.
Hell yeah! I love bumping into you guys. Are you on the CX forums as well? My moniker over there is just Cramer.

I'm actually friends with a lot of the people at Honda of Winter Haven, especially Bobby who owns a CX/GL cafe racer and various other cafe bikes and vintage cars. I asked him how much it costs for them to do a checkup of a bike like this, and he said "Oh, I'd be more than willing to head out with you to take a look at it." Then he quickly followed up with a "Oh, crap, wait, where is it?" to which I replied "St. Pete I think" "Umm...I'm busy that day!" haha. He told me he may help check it out, all depending on his free time. He says he'd even be willing to buy it himself if I don't want it, and if it's in decent enough condition.

The only reason I'm considering it is because I love projects, and I've been searching voraciously on CL for a cheap project to fill up my free time once my CX becomes "perfect." I haven't found anything worth buying (anything that is in my price range has no title) Then this CBR kinda bit me, and it seems like it'd be a fresh new challenge, but it's definitely going to be a huge challenge if I do get it.

I really don't have an "itch" for a sports bike, but I do have an itch for something that handles better and goes faster than my CX, even though I'm never going to get rid of it...this thing is bulletproof. I couldn't kill it if I tried.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
south
Gnarly Adventurer

Man, there are ALWAYS cheap project bikes on CL--just gotta keep checking all the local Florida regions; the good deals often don't last long. When I'm looking around, I check Tampa Bay, Sarasota, Ocala, Lakeland, Ft Myers, and even Orlando, Gainesville, Heartland Park, and Daytona CL. H*ll, I recently bailed out on driving to Lakeland (didn't want to deal with rush hour traffic on the way back, which all worked out, since I was then available to snatch up the VFR locally) for a Honda CM400, 11K miles, clear title, for $200.

Among my CL aquisitions: a Suzuki GS500--ran great after a carb clean, 20K miles, only needs cosmetics--for $200; my CB360 in real nice, running, original condition with <4K miles for $360; my Honda XL350R--running but needed top end work (rebore and piston/rings)--for $340; a cosmetically challenged '78 Goldwing with (only) 36K on the clock for $350; a (first-year) '86 Kawi ZX1000(A1) Ninja--Yosh full system, jet kit, slotted cam sprockets/degreed cams, port work, 34K miles, needed new intake valves (3-angle re-cut all the valve seats) and a CDI off ebay to get it running good, the thing is an absolute BEAST--for $250; my '88 Kawi KLR650--see project thread in my sig--for $500; and a couple others as well. And I've missed out on probably just as many as I've snagged.

Which brings me back to your CBR--if that thing was worthwhile, it'dve been snatched up by someone before now; deals around here rarely make it past a few hours, let alone a few days.

As for the CX, I spent a lot of time lurking on the forums--esp Chopper Charles'--learning all I could while I was re-doing mine, but never posted up. FWIW, for $500 I got the bike, a low-mile (5K) spare motor, extra wheels, aftermarket 2-into-1 exhaust, and a couple milk crates full of parts. The thing was basically sound, but neglected, dented, dirty, and rusty with cruiser high-rise 'bars, and a hideous "king and queen" stepped seat. Here's what it looks like now:
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #20
King_Panther13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Well, I know that the bikes are out there, but usually they sell before I have a chance to get them, or they'll be up when I don't have the cash!

Lately all I can find is in the 500-750 area which is out of my budget...at least at the moment.

Though this CBR isn't even being advertised, it was just brought up to me by someone on another forum. He said he was just going to scrap it but since I'm into bikes he'd let me look at it first.

That CX is awesome. I got mine for 1200....I kinda regret paying that much, but I was still very new to bikes at the time. It too had the cruiser bars, stepped seat(the stock one), etc...I actually never got rid of the buckos until a few months ago, and I'm still trying to find a nice straight seat that'll fit the custom frame. Not many options out there, especially not on my budget.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #21
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 668
good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I wouldnt touch it.

I think this is your best advice yet.

Luck,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
donno what your time is worth but to rebuild a bike like that from nubbins and make $1500 profit means you have to 1. lie about the bike's history to the buyer and 2. lie to yourself about whether it's actually worth it.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #23
samadams0824
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Panther13 View Post
Thank you. I appreciate everyone's opinions. The first time I bought a used/tweaked bike without getting the opinion of other people was also my last....and I plan to keep it that way.

As for not liking sports bikes...I've never truly ridden one before. I don't like sitting on them, and I don't like the majority of the people who ride them (in other words, the squids. I'm ok with everyone but squids), but I may just like this one. The things I love most about riding are wrenching, twisties, and speed. That's why I have any interest in this bike. I really want to get a sports standard bike next like a ER6n or f, or a Gladius, or maybe even an FZ6, but budget doesn't allow anything new for a while. Something to wrench on would not only save cash, but give me something to pass the time.

As for getting it checked out...I was already thinking of that, but definitely a good call either way. It shouldn't be too expensive to get it inspected, especially not since the guys at the Honda shop know me pretty well.

And yeah, no insurance is required in Florida, so I figure that that's what happened.

Nice! 1500 is more than I was expecting it to be worth, but I guess we'll just see what happens once I finally do get a quote from him. 2500 overall isn't that bad at all, especially since it could be resold for more. Though if I do decide to get used to the ergos and keep the bike to tool around on, I'd probably just get an aftermarket headlight/signals, and either keep it naked, or maybe find a cheap windscreen or something.

DONT DO IT! for $2500 you could have an early sv650 or fz6 in decent condition which did not require a penny more. I wouldn't touch this bike with a 10 ft pole unless I was going to part it out. It looks like a money pit.
samadams0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #24
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr View Post
donno what your time is worth but to rebuild a bike like that from nubbins and make $1500 profit means you have to 1. lie about the bike's history to the buyer and 2. lie to yourself about whether it's actually worth it.

abe
So, in your opinion... If a bike goes down, and has everything repaired to the way it was before it went down, and it still has a clean title.... How much less is it worth than one that's never been down? Assuming the repairs were done properly of course.

I've gotten a couple offers on mine since I fixed it up, one for $3500 and another for $4200. I didn't take them because I like the bike.

I wish you were there to tell everyone I was bidding against when I bought the wreck how worthless it was. You may find this hard to believe, but some people actually enjoy the project itself.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
bimmerx2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Good thing I didn't ask you guys if I should fix my 05 CBR after I got into a contest with it at the track last year to see who could do the most flips - neither of us won.

My bike was in about the same shape as the one the in the OP - exploded front fairing, broken fairing stay, bent subframe, broken clip-on, etc. Heck the key is even bent almost 90 degrees - I still use it so I'm reminded to keep the rubber side down. I put about $1k into fixing it but a chunk of that was just fluff for new stuff that I could have gotten a lot cheaper. It helped that my forks checked out OK and nothing in the front was tweaked - I guess it landed right on it's nose. I got everything from guys parting out bikes online. Since I already have a CBR 1kRR for the street and this was a just a toy for the track I went ahead and made it a track only bike.

Like in the OP's case this was just a hobby for me to pass the time - in this case while my broken bones healed. I can't say if the one he's looking at can be fixed as cheap but if the frame and basic drive components are OK and the price is right it can probably be brought back to life without a lot of drama.

Before (last fall)...

Two weeks ago at the track (with my delux rattle can paint job) and it seems to be running pretty good...

'08 Honda CBR 1000RR (get outta da way!)
'05 Honda CBR 600RR (trackday toy)
bimmerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Sweet paintjob Bimmer! It's nice to see someone else that's actually done this kind of project offering their take on it.

I hope someday when I can afford a trailer and full leathers to start running mine at the track. It's really what these bikes were born to do.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
south
Gnarly Adventurer

Except, of course, as I point out the obvious, he really hasn't done what the OP is asking about. He already owned the bike, so he wasn't assuming any financial liability/burden; if anything, he was recouping lost value by rebuilding his own wrecked bike. Further, he was fully aware of the complete history of the bike and the exact nature of the crash, which also serves to minimize any risk/potential downside.

I'm not looking to bag on anybody, but you guys seem to have unnecessarily gotten all defensive about the whole thing, even though, and while ignoring the fact that, your situations are not the same as that of the OP. In order to solicit the best advice, the OP provided a number of specifics with regard to his taste in bikes, his financial situation, and his mechanical background/abilities. Reviewing the OP's remarks in full, in light of his particular situation, I think it's entirely reasonable to conclude that what worked out well for you guys *may* not be the best move for him to make--i.e., he doesn't have a lot of money, he doesn't particularly yearn for/want/like a sportbike, and his motorcycle mechanical experience doesn't seem to reach past the late seventies/early eighties.

Folks on here are just providing their opinions about a specific situation of a specific individual when specifically asked--exactly as you guys should--no reason to get your backs up and (mistakenly) feel that anybody is criticizing your decisions/actions. It's important to look at the situation from his perspective/circumstance, that's all.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #28
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSteve View Post
So, in your opinion... If a bike goes down, and has everything repaired to the way it was before it went down, and it still has a clean title.... How much less is it worth than one that's never been down? Assuming the repairs were done properly of course.

I've gotten a couple offers on mine since I fixed it up, one for $3500 and another for $4200. I didn't take them because I like the bike.

I wish you were there to tell everyone I was bidding against when I bought the wreck how worthless it was. You may find this hard to believe, but some people actually enjoy the project itself.
your question is impossible to answer, every bike/situation/crash is different. i'd say your rebuilt wreck isn't worth much at all...not to me, at least. no way i'd buy a completely crashed-to-bits wreck from some dude on the street for full market, much less half market. i don't care if you're factory trained or whatever. once a bike goes through a serious crash, no telling where the rebuilder decided to cut corners or what they missed.

you may find this hard to believe but if you showed a pic of the wreck before you rebuilt it to *most* buyers they'd either walk away or adjust their bids downward. it's no secret that some talented wrenches buy wrecked bikes in order to rebuild and resell. it's also no secret that most of them won't disclose the full history of the bike...which is why clean title wrecks get such good money and you had yourself a bit of a bidding war.

while you may enjoy the project, most people don't want to pay full market price for what could be a worthless ticking time bomb...the buyer has no reason to trust your mechanical abilities, after all, you have a financial incentive to sell the bike as OK.

i stand by my earlier statement...an honest seller will NEVER get full market for a significantly rebuilt bike...your pics are well past "cosmetic damage only" and so your bike is worth jack to anyone but you.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."

bostonsr screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 02:55 PM
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #29
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr View Post
your question is impossible to answer, every bike/situation/crash is different. i'd say your rebuilt wreck isn't worth much at all...not to me, at least. no way i'd buy a completely crashed-to-bits wreck from some dude on the street for full market, much less half market. i don't care if you're factory trained or whatever. once a bike goes through a serious crash, no telling where the rebuilder decided to cut corners or what they missed.

you may find this hard to believe but if you showed a pic of the wreck before you rebuilt it to *most* buyers they'd either walk away or adjust their bids downward. it's no secret that some talented wrenches buy wrecked bikes in order to rebuild and resell. it's also no secret that most of them won't disclose the full history of the bike...which is why clean title wrecks get such good money and you had yourself a bit of a bidding war.

while you may enjoy the project, most people don't want to pay full market price for what could be a worthless ticking time bomb...the buyer has no reason to trust your mechanical abilities, after all, you have a financial incentive to sell the bike as OK.

i stand by my earlier statement...an honest seller will NEVER get full market for a significantly rebuilt bike...your pics are well past "cosmetic damage only" and so your bike is worth jack to anyone but you.

abe

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but you're dead wrong. Just because something isn't worth anything to you doesn't mean there aren't 1000 other people that would gladly pay top dollar for a bike like this. I know this is true because I see it every day. Here are a few examples of bikes with disclosed histories of crashes *SOLD* for the prices I mentioned. It may not be the case with most bikes, but a 600rr maintains a good chunk of it's value even after a crash.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=234474

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=225273

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=143191

If the OP's bike in question were closer to me, knowing what I know now, I would at least go take a look at it.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #30
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's another scenario to consider.

Suppose you were 19 or 20 years old. You've been saving your pennies for a while to get your first bike. I know a 600rr is a HORRIBLE choice for a first bike, but that certainly doesn't stop most kids in this situation. A few of your squid buddies have sportbikes probably GSXR's, R6's etc. , and you want to ride with them. You see that one or two of them went out and bought a brand spankin' new gixxer, and dropped it/looped it the first week he had it.

So, you think to yourself, maybe there's a good chance that can happen to me... do I really want a brand new bike? Why bother, when I can get a shiny used one for around $5500, never been dropped, etc... Keep in mind MSRP on a new 600RR is $11,199, this isn't an SV650 we're talking about here. So you think, no problem, I can handle the payments on a $5500 bike, and be riding this summer!

Then you you get an insurance quote.... $2000 a year Now that mechanically sound, rebuilt bike that your buddy is selling for $4000 is looking a little more attractive. Especially if it's the difference between getting the model you really want, or settling for something else. Or worse yet, having to wait till next year when you can actually afford it.

The bike might not have value to YOU, but it might have alot more than you think to someone else.

One last thing to consider, when he eventually does drop that bike, the bike that was once wrecked but is still clean on paper will be worth exactly the same as one that was never dropped as far as the insurance company is concerned.

VTSteve screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 07:40 PM