Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #46
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I am really surprised how quick you have gone thru tires. It's not like the thing is making 100+ hp.
I'm surprised too. My Super 8 has around 5,000 miles on it and the tires hardly look worn.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #47
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,157
On my BV250 I just turned 10,000 miles on a pair of 16" Michelin "Gold Standard"s - doesn't that sound like a OEM tire? Anyway, the front is 50% gone, the rear just a bit over that. I suppose it'll accelerate in wear now, but I can still see another 2000 or so miles on the rear. I had heard that scooter rear tires are fast wearing, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #48
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Time for another update. At around 8100 miles I noticed that one of the fork seals was leaking. Good thing I still have a month of warrantee left. Last weekend I took it for a ride in the N. GA. Mtns before dropping it off at the dealer. I can say that the Dunlop 404, which now has 1400 miles on it, handles just fine. I leaned the scooter to its cornering clearance limits on both sides. The Centerstand tang scrapes on the left and the lower fairing on the right.

When I dropped it off at the dealer at the end of the day there were two other sport cities there:

I also noticed that my front tire wasn't looking too good.

Time for a new tire.

For anyone looking for a bargain on a new sport city, I think they are selling these for around $3200

I've got more pics of my ride in my ride report. Here's a sample:

The link:http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694932

Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #49
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,309
You sure are putting the miles on that scooter. It seens to be holding up well.

My Kymco people 250S is running really well. I don't have the miles that you do though.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #50
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post

My Kymco people 250S is running really well. I don't have the miles that you do though.

I put 8300 on the Aprilia in 11 months, 5600 on my Kymco Super 8 in the last 16 months and occasionally I still ride my motorcycles.

How many miles on your 250s?

There are still some new 2009 or 2010 Kymco 250s in dealer showrooms. The local dealer has a 250s as well as a Grand Vista 250 in the showroom. It's still a buyers market out there. Anyone considering buying a scooter should act now before the leftovers finally all sell out

Old 04-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #51
hexnut
just cruising

I only got 2500 miles on the Kymco. I had some health problems the last few months and did not ride from late last fall till a few weeks ago. I am back to riding now. I was also absent from this form for a while because of it. I am better now.

There are a lot of good deals to be had right now.Any body looking for a new left over scooter can get a good discount. I was down to my local kymco dealer last week and except for a 200 GT and a 300 GT they have sold every thing with the exception of a couple of Kymco people 150s and a black super 8 150. They had a couple of Downtown 300s and they are gone as well. They even sold the two Like 200s they had. They also sell Hondas and have sold the 110 Elite and the two SH 150s they had and a couple of used People 150s and a used Honda reflex.

They sell a lot of motorcycles as well, They carry Honda,Triumph, Kawasaki, KTM and Yamaha.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #52
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I only got 2500 miles on the Kymco. I had some health problems the last few months and did not ride from late last fall till a few weeks ago. I am back to riding now. I was also absent from this form for a while because of it. I am better now.

There are a lot of good deals to be had right now.Any body looking for a new left over scooter can get a good discount. I was down to my local kymco dealer last week and except for a 200 GT and a 300 GT they have sold every thing with the exception of a couple of Kymco people 150s and a black super 8 150. They had a couple of Downtown 300s and they are gone as well. They even sold the two Like 200s they had. They also sell Hondas and have sold the 110 Elite and the two SH 150s they had and a couple of used People 150s and a used Honda reflex.

They sell a lot of motorcycles as well, They carry Honda,Triumph, Kawasaki, KTM and Yamaha.
Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm sure you are enjoying riding in this spring weather.

The Kymco Dealer in Huntsville has a well stocked showroom. Scooters don't really seem to have caught on that much in Huntsville which is too bad. This is a good place to ride around on a small scooter. The traffic isn't too heavy and the drivers here are much better than average.

The Aprilia dealer in Dahlonega, GA where I got my Sport City is another story. He is selling scooters and motorcycles like crazy. Considering that he only sells relatively rare brands like Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, and MV agusta, he's really doing well.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #53
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I LOVE my new Sportcity 250!!!!

I have been riding for 23 years and between many purchases and 2 jobs with busy motorcycle dealerships I have ridden just about everything.

I only have around 1,500 miles on her so far (2 weeks old), but this has to be one of my all time favorite vehicles and is by a mile my favorite scooter!

Storage is very small, the ride has some bumps but the handling is superb. I personally wouldn't change the read suspension dampening / rebound in the least. I weigh around 170 LBS and rarely have more then 10 LBS extra with me.

I have been a fan of the 250 Quasar engine for some time, but by marrying it to such a stiff chassis it is a dream of a scooter. Handling is truly top notch. I'm not comparing it to a Burgman 650 which can't take a corner on a good day, but comparing it to a BMW S1000RR. Heck no it won't go 200MPH like my S1000RR can and has, but in it's performance envelope of approximately 80 MPH it is the easiest bike to go fast on I have ever ridden.

Front brake bite is just right to me though the rear is anemic and lacks feedback. Big deal as the front is what counts if your trying to slow down, still though, I may investigate how to improve the rear skidder.

The seating position is a little hard on my knees but nothing reworking the seat can't fix.

The instruments kinda suck for blind people such as me, why Piaggio group couldn't print a label with big MPH numbers for the USA market is a mystery.

I haven't taken it apart yet and am still in training for Piaggio as master BMW / Volvo / Ford tech doesn't fully prepare one for how Italy likes to do things, but will certainly dig in soon and have seen the internals of the Quasar 250 up close and personal which is one of the reasons I really like that engine.

I am surprised more of these haven't sold in the USA but being very few dealers offer test-rides, I guess there is little opportunity for people to find out just what a gem this bike is.

If anyone with an SC250 wants to go for a ride within 300 miles of St. Louis, count me in :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #54
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Increase your range a bit and come on up to Amerivespa in Lake Geneva, WI. All scoots are welcome not just Vespas. I'll be riding in from Colorado on my BV.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #55
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome to the ranks of happy Sport City owners. I know they did not sell very well but my local (OK, 80 miles away) dealer has sold a dozen or so in the last year. Perhaps allowing test rides helped but then so did the low prices.

I 'll be passing within 300 miles of St. louis next month as I ride my Sport City back from Cleveland, OH. I'm riding up too but will be taking a scenic easterly route up through NC, VA, and WV.

Edit: Never mind, I got St Louis mixed up with Louisville, Ky.

klaviator screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 07:45 PM
Old 06-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #56
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I thought this thread could use some more photos of my favorite kind...

She is home, literally.
DSC_0373

Radiator cover removed. Notice, the tank at top is a REAL expansion tank, not a catch tank like many scooters use. This means what you see is what you get. If the expansion tank is full then the radiator is full which is unlike bikes with catch tanks where the tank can be full as the radiator is dry and engine melts down. This is a serious plus in my book.
DSC_0377

You have to remove the seat to remove the panel right behind your legs. No big deal, 4 10mm nuts, though I don't recall a 10mm nut driver in the tool kit so this is the first tool I would fortify the tool kit with.
DSC_0384

Once the seat and cover right behind your legs can be removed to get at the spark plug and whatnot. Just wiggle the last cover and it comes off.
DSC_0428

cover with glove box removed. A lot going on up here, amongst other things, behind this cover is where most of the relays are.
DSC_0396

Down a little further from the brown relay in the last picture and on the forward side is 3 more relays.
DSC_0395

The other side is not quite as busy but contains all of your main cooling hoses.
DSC_0397

Looking down, you can see that this is a STOUT chassis! This would by why the SC250 holds a nice line when other bikes wiggle. The thing on the left with all the fins is the voltage regulator. That which is rattling around in my battery box is a LiFePO4 battery that is not stock. It weighs 1/4 the stock lead acid job, is fine for a year of sitting without being connected to a charger, and has more CCA. It is the first upgrade I make to any bike. This particular one is made by AntiGravity and has proven way better then Shorai branded LiFePO4 batteries
DSC_0400

Do you think the zip tie holds the chassis welds together haha, because it is not holding anything else
DSC_0402

Left side, floor and under fairing removed.
DSC_0404

Naked handle bars and forward view of heavy frame that will accept a windshield. This is important as wiggly frames add to windshield buffeting.
DSC_0407

Nuts for adjusting the head set, very heavy duty.
DSC_0416

Rear of handle bars.
DSC_0423

Possibly the worlds longest throttle tube, throttle pulley integrated into front brake master cylinder mounting. Italian engineers have even more time on their hands then German engineers.
DSC_0424

The full range of hose clamps but all high quality. I am NOT a fan of screw drive hose clamps but they are higher quality units and will please the no tool crowd.
DSC_0425
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #57
mjhoward
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:

Looks just like MINE!! I opted for the GIVI E55 though The PS250 is an AWESOME scoot, I havn't had a single problem out of mine yet other than replacing the factory battery.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #58
hexnut
just cruising

Yeah the battery is the only problem I have had with mine as well. It was replaced under warranty.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #59
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm still looking fro a rear tire that will last on the Sport City. The Dunlop 403 I put on was wore out at only 2600 miles. It wore out much sooner than expected while I was on a trip. I replaced it with another Kenda since that's what was available but I'll try something different next time.

Aside from the fact that it eats rear tires, I'm still very impressed with this scooter. I recently did a 2000+ mile 8 state trip on it. It handled curvy back roads, gravel & dirt roads and some interstate riding very nicely. I have started a ride report here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803404

Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #60
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,664
IF the Michelin City Grip is available in that size, you're not gonna find a
better sport-touring tire for your scoot.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote