User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Dieselpwr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Bmw r1200gt?

this looks like a nice compromise for those wanting something bigger than the 800GT, but not a full weight RT

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...rer/25101.html
Old 06-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Krakatoa
Waiting...

Oddometer: 43
I am looking for a middle weight sport touring bike bigger than the F800GT and smaller than the R1200RT. So this bike sounds very interesting. There is also the rumored S1000F, but not sure if that will be for 2015. And hopefully Triumph will bring back the Tiger 1050 Sport to the U.S. or even a rumored 1200 Sport. I think 2015 is the year for the middle weight sport touring bikes to surprise us all.
Krakatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Oooooh yes! Please bring it with ABS, ASC, heated grips and cruise control, and high quality suspension bits, nothing more, nothing less! Well maybe TPM...
Keep the weight under 575 lbs with a fuel range of 230+ miles
No Nav..
No ESA....
No Radio....
No Sirius....
No electric windscreen...
No LED headlight....
No Angel eyes.....
No adaptive lighting...
One ride mode, GO!

Paul
Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 593
I really think that their little F800GT is a great looking machine. I know that for myself, I would want more motor. This seems like it could be a great alternative!

I'd love to see a bike like the F800GT with the S1000 motor in it. The upcoming S1000F seems like it'll be among the beak crowd. I love a sleek looking good ol' ST bike. Like the Sprint, Ninja 1K, VFR ect. ect...

More lightweight, strong engined ST bikes, please BMW!!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 98
Oh, this is so my speed!

Being that the RT is 580 lbs without panniers and the R is 491 lbs wet, I would think this one could be a few lbs over 500lbs, in Ninja 1000 territory. Make a great stablemate for the VFR1200.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Modulo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
It'll be interesting to compare ...
S1000F (999cc I4 160hp 83ft-lb)
R1200GT (1170cc flat-twin 125hp 93 ft-lb)
FJ-09 (847cc I3 115hp 65 ft-lb) [if it exists]
Modulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
There's always someone who wants more hp, I'm not one of them.
The vast majority of riders never twist the grip to the limit and there are few placed in the US where you can get away with that on the public roadways. Running the track is a different story but this is not a track bike. Even on the track very few have the skills to run even a 600cc bike at anywhere near full throttle. Generally speaking hp equates to top speed and torque equate to rate of acceleration. For me, bring more torque and good fuelling with linear power.

Paul
Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
If this is an R1200R with a semi fairing and grand touring amenities, I will be all over this.

The R1200R is great but for long distance and comfort it is just a bit lacking. I've never been a fan of the R1200RT (although I respect and acknowledge how good it is, its just not for me. Average age of ownership of RTs must be 55 years or something, so a bit of an old geezers bike)

The seating position of the RT has been lowered (and I'm tall, the R1200R is already slightly on the small side) All in all, the RT sits you back and lower, more like goldwing rider triangle, than 'on top' naked standard like the R is (and which I love).

I think this could be a direct competitor (and along the same lines) as a 1250 bandit. However, a 1250 bandit is by all measures simply a brilliant motorcycle, much undervalued by the press. AMAZING value for money. If you compare it the competitors, they seem to be giving it away, even at full MSRP. I noticed that in Europe it is less than 10000 euro, vat included for the faired bandit with cases. That is just staggeringly good value. Yes is looks bland and might be boring, but the engine has car like reliability and will go on forever.

So yes, while I might be drooling all over this GT (finally a successor to the ST), I might just leave it for what it is, and get a bandit. I've been burner a bit too much by expensive bmw dealer maintenance. And I hope they can get the reliability right (all this for probably 60% more expensive than the equivalent bandit)
Old 06-08-2014, 02:33 AM   #9
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
If this is an R1200R with a semi fairing and grand touring amenities, I will be all over this.

The R1200R is great but for long distance and comfort it is just a bit lacking. I've never been a fan of the R1200RT (although I respect and acknowledge how good it is, its just not for me. Average age of ownership of RTs must be 55 years or something, so a bit of an old geezers bike)

The seating position of the RT has been lowered (and I'm tall, the R1200R is already slightly on the small side) All in all, the RT sits you back and lower, more like goldwing rider triangle, than 'on top' naked standard like the R is (and which I love).

I think this could be a direct competitor (and along the same lines) as a 1250 bandit. However, a 1250 bandit is by all measures simply a brilliant motorcycle, much undervalued by the press. AMAZING value for money. If you compare it the competitors, they seem to be giving it away, even at full MSRP. I noticed that in Europe it is less than 10000 euro, vat included for the faired bandit with cases. That is just staggeringly good value. Yes is looks bland and might be boring, but the engine has car like reliability and will go on forever.

So yes, while I might be drooling all over this GT (finally a successor to the ST), I might just leave it for what it is, and get a bandit. I've been burner a bit too much by expensive bmw dealer maintenance. And I hope they can get the reliability right (all this for probably 60% more expensive than the equivalent bandit)
I must say, from reading your posts, I have been more inclined to give the ol' Bandit more of a look. That black one you posted a few days ago struck a chord.

I sure do love Bavarian machinery. I also realize from my experiences with my amazing BMW automobiles, that one should enter the relationship with caution. There are few machines that will cause as much elation, and equally as much frustration and financial duress...
Old 08-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
DougM
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hoping BMW introduces this in Oct. Would like a wethead to eventually replace my R1200ST. My ST, which I do love, weighs around 505 lbs "wet" and I'd like to see the GT under 500. Leave all the electronic stuff off except ABS and offer a premium suspension option and I'd be very happy. They could give it a few cc's more and call it an R1250ST.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
murdock2002
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
This would be awesome...hopefully it will be priced in between the r1200r and r1200gs as well....
murdock2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Oooooh yes! Please bring it with ABS, ASC, heated grips and cruise control, and high quality suspension bits, nothing more, nothing less! Well maybe TPM...
Keep the weight under 575 lbs with a fuel range of 230+ miles
No Nav..
No ESA....
No Radio....
No Sirius....
No electric windscreen...
No LED headlight....
No Angel eyes.....
No adaptive lighting...
One ride mode, GO!

Paul

Nailed it!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Although it may need handlebar risers.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,253
I don't think the ST has sold well in the past. Not sure why BMW is bringing it back...
Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I don't think the ST has sold well in the past. Not sure why BMW is bringing it back...
Remember the Rxxx-RS?