Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead View Post
I don,t think there,s a straight road in the whole of Colombia! Maybe that,s why Iko the dealer here in Medellin just sold 3 990SMR,s and thats more than you,ve seen in the States for Petes sake!
You Gringos need to get out and educate the masses
Al

That's more than I've seen for sure.
Most of our dealers have never seen ANY!
ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #17
tomotosoup
looney4bikes

Oddometer: 47
SMR Pics

A few more pics of my SMR

This pic shows the bike with white rims (powder coated or painted),
either way looks nice but tough to keep clean I'm sure.

This pic is just over the top, very nice.

tomotosoup screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 06:56 AM
tomotosoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
tomotosoup
looney4bikes

SMR 990 reviews

Not everything written about the SMR 990 is positive. The bike is unique to say the least. It appears its sister bike, the SMT is more widely accepted and understood. Maybe its the T that makes the R so difficult to understand. I must admit to having mixed feelings about the bike after I bought it. I know this bike has quite a following in Europe, but here in the US, I still think its missing the mark. Personally I don't think the bike is priced correctly, with an MSRP of $14k its hardly flying off the show room floors. Even now I hear of dealers (the few that have them) selling 2010's for $12+. I've had mine for a little over a year now, and each day I'm getting a better handle on what this bike is all about. Here are a few reviews from respected sources, but like everything you read, have a grain of salt handy.

from ashonbikes

"KTM’s 990 SM T is one of the best bikes of the year, which bodes well for its sibling, the 990 SM R. After all, the R has the same engine and frame with firmer suspension and better brakes, so it’s going to be even better. Isn’t it? The wheels and suspension are high competition spec too: Brembo Monobloc brake callipers, 10-spoke forged Marchesini wheels, fat 48mm inverted WP forks and a rear shock adjustable for high and low speed compression damping."

from Superbike

"Thanks to a bigger 999cc fuel-injected V-twin motor, KTM's new 990 Supermoto now makes 115bhp. That's a healthy 17bhp more than the 950 carbed version it replaces, with a tad more torque to make wheelies and general lunacy that bit easier. Riding it brought plenty of the expected howls of laughter and respect for what this utterly brilliant bike can do."

visit motorcycle daily

"Out on a brief street ride, the R inhaled the twisty Laureles Grade, with more-than-ample power and that same grippy, tenacious feel it exhibited on the track. Riding a supermoto with this kind of power, brakes and excellent suspension doesn't really feel like a fair fight. If I had one, I'd probably have to make new friends. Power is snappy, with the same excellent fuel-injection and part-throttle response the RC8 R showed (featured in Part Two later this week), and the gearing felt about right for fast roadwork. The motor is more raw and buzzy than the silky, quick-revving RC8 mill, but if you're used to a thumper dual-sport, it's not objectionable."

tomotosoup screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 10:35 PM
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #19
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 775
Mcn

Have a look on youtube under ''motor cycle news'' for two video reports on the SMR.One against the Ducati Hyper motard and another against the 1200 Dorsoduro and the Hyper again!
I would but I,m a bit inept with the old computer!
Al
PS hows the little screen workin for ya?
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
tomotosoup
looney4bikes

Screen n stuff

Al

The screen seemed like a good purchase, it wasn't too expensive. It doesn't look bad either. I cant say I noticed a difference with it on, but any deflection is better than none.

I saw the video comparo with the Hyper... the one where they say the SMR wins on the street and on the track, but they would still buy the Hyper because they think it looks better. I cant argue with their opinion, I too think the Hyper is a sharp looking bike. I also think the SMR is great looking bike, one of the biggest reasons that drew me in to buying it. The fact that it out performs the Hyper is just the icing on the cake.

I haven't seen the Dorso 1200 comparo yet, I'll check it out. I will say this, I almost bought the Dorso 750, but I knew the litre version was coming out soon and I didn't want to be a 750 owner when it did.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #21
tomotosoup
looney4bikes

3-Way SM Comparo

Very Nice... and the SMR remains king of the looney's. Notice the bike on one wheel at the end of the video, oh yeah.

Hyper-Dorso-SMR Comparo
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #22
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
That really is a magnificent looking bike!

I have had a love/hate relationship with 990's for a few years now.

A mate owns a SD, and another mate owns a SM-T.

I have ridden a standard SM, and whilst it was probably the best handling bike I have ridden, the FI just gave me the shits.

You would wind it on coming out of a corner, and it would kick and cough....almost dangerous...

How is the FI? Have you done any mods to make it smoother?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #23
tomotosoup
looney4bikes

FI Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Bird View Post
You would wind it on coming out of a corner, and it would kick and cough....almost dangerous...
I'm blown away when I hear people talk about the FI on the 990''s. I read all kind of horror stories like yours. It's confusing because my bike's FI is spot on, quite seamless, I never really think about it. Once in a great while It will stumble during roll-on but usually I'm a gear to high out on the freeway commuting through traffic. When riding aggressively I can say its flawless.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #24
esco1199
n00b

Oddometer: 1
So I got about a month left here in Afghanistan and have been doing lots of research on motorcycles. Ive narrowed it down to three choices 990 SM-R, Hypermotard, and the new 1200 Dorsoduro. I havent rode any of them due to the fact im out here still. From my research I have heard nothing but good things about the 990. If anyone can share experiences with these bikes please fill me in.
esco1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
tomotosoup
looney4bikes

And then there were three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esco1199 View Post
Ive narrowed it down to three choices 990 SM-R, Hypermotard, and the new 1200 Dorsoduro.
My recent post (about 2 back) with the youTube video pretty much hits the nail on the head. What he says rings true. I own the SMR, but I don't think I would be unhappy with any of these bikes. They all look very cool in there own way. It's really gonna come down to personal preferences.

Anything I could nit-pic on the SMR would probably apply to all 3. They are overgrown dirt bikes on roids. I think any one with a dirt bike background can really appreciate these bikes a bit more. They are very familiar in that way. I did take a test ride on a Hyper, and I can say straight out I preferred the SMR, but I cant say I wouldn't have chosen the Dorso 12, because it didn't exist when I made my purchase.

The short answer is Life with the SMR is good, but like all KTM's it's over-priced (imo).

Hopefully I've confused you even more. Cheers and get home safe.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #26
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Ace

This bike is so damn good it can even make a hamfisted goon like me look like I know what I,m doing.With this level of brakes and handling you can take your time learning to plumb the depths of what this bike is capable of! I,m beginning to think there,s not much it cant do.
Driving in Colombia is a test for any machine with good,bad or no road surface on each ride you take.Don,t even get me started on scooters,dogs,cattle,mules and morons.
Sport bike stopping power and long travel Supermoto suspension will save your life ten times a day!
My old 950ADV still is a stunning machine in this enviroment,but it didn,t stop when the old lady pulled out in front of me.The SMR would have saved me a broken leg!
Al
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #27
tomotosoup
looney4bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead View Post
Don't even get me started on scooters, dogs, cattle, mules and morons.
Al
Al
Would love to see some pics, put some up when ya have time. Sounds like an interesting place to say the least.
Tomoto
Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #28
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
tomato soup, I saw your bike at newcombs last year. it certainly caught my attention. then I saw it listed on CL. if I didn't have an SDR already I would have came knocking.

you inspired me to go motohooligan.
Attached Images

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #29
tomotosoup
looney4bikes

The Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
tomato soup, I saw your bike at newcombs last year. it certainly caught my attention. then I saw it listed on CL. if I didn't have an SDR already I would have came knocking.

you inspired me to go motohooligan.
Yeah the Motobox is a killer mod hands-down. Real small audience for this bike and no luck on CL except for charity request. I guess we were meant to stay together!

Went up to Newcombs last Sunday, finally opened to Wrightwood, but just a Sunday cruise thanks to massive CHP presence.

Funny to see a pic of my bike... small world eh?

Cheers
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Hey now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomotosoup View Post
Al
Would love to see some pics, put some up when ya have time. Sounds like an interesting place to say the least.
Tomoto
It,s not all Blow and Hookers you know(just mostly)
Heading out this weekend for a few photo ops
Al