Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #361
bajamcguide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
You will need the G2 throttle tube as well as the cam, 300. 400 etc. The small cam itself will not fit on to the stock throttle tube. KTM Twins sells a throttle tube that has the 400 cam without the outher cams for about 80 bucks.

The preload adjuster comes with instructions and is easy to install. You will have to remove the shock, and will need a good spring compressor to instal the adjuster to the shock itself.

Hope this helps... And Happy New Year.
bajamcguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #362
Taz1200

Oddometer: 176
I bought the KTM Smt accessory socket (smaller BMW style) and installed it under the instruments...tight fit but it worked..for power there is an acc1 and acc2 plug under the right side of the instruments which I believe the socket plugged right into one of them is switched power and the other on all the time. I use it for the gps mounted on the handlebars and it worked well..
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #363
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,171
Appreciate the ADVice! Thanks, I've got the G2ergo tamer and cam ordered, picked one up for my track bike (SV1000) as well. Sam was a big help, and answering his phone on a holiday Saturday. I'll order the preload adjuster tonite, and I want to pick up the small windscreen like KTM Mike has. I saw in the PDF instructions for the 12v socket about the two power leads, one switched and one not. Taz, I haven't heard of a BMW style, will a regular 12 volt plug work or Is the male side different? Is the KTM a nice unit? If u get a chance post up a quick pic of where yours is mounted :)
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #364
Taz1200

The BMW outlet is smaller than a standard, you can either get a adaptor which powerlet makes that converts the smaller to a larger, they have different lenths as well as dual sockets if needed. I used this one because I did not see enough room to fit a standard size outlet... here are some pics..
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #365
Taz1200

opened up
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #366
Taz1200

the adaptor I use is the shortest only about an inch of wire you can get various lenths for wherever you want the socket
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #367
Taz1200

The GPS mounted, I just take any excess wire and use a stretchy velcro strap to keep them together on the existing wires...
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #368
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

That looks good Taz, I'll prolly do the same thing. Thanks for the pics. Hey, what did the dealer tell u about the coolant leak? That gasket looks like an o-ring on the parts diagram. Mine still seems to holding up after snugging it up a tad.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #369
Taz1200

I brought it to dealer and they replaced the gasket where you showed yours leaking.....I just got it back yesterday and will be out on it all day tomorrow.....50 deg and sunny .to start the new. year... ....
Old 12-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #370
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Have fun ! I've got all day to ride too, just a lot of thick fog forecast for early AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #371
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
I'm new to this forum and probably won't buy until later in the year (keep telling myself this) as I've kinda lost the lust for riding these last couple of years. Sold my Traxxion Dynamics suspension equipped GoldWing a couple days ago and then found this forum. Knowing well the difference between what the head says to do and the heart yelling something all together different...I must ask, why an S over the T? Many of you have installed the back rack/handles, the larger front shield, bar busters and T seat....other than the increased fuel capacity and different rims.....what's left that's different? Thanks.

After looking at all the pretty pictures and admiring your rides, I see a few things that I might be able to contribute to by providing some links to products used by the touring riders that you might find useful. I have no $$ interest in any of these products, but know they work very well and are of good quality.

Billet angled valve stems - www.motorcycleanchor.com
12V small power outlet ports - www.powerlet.com
Wheel balancing (internal) - www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm
Arkansas roads - http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2009/Ozarks/

My last KTM was a 1982 495 - raced/finished 1983 Barstow to Vegas

Trans4ormer screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 02:01 PM
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #372
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Hey T4, you're talking about an R vs a T? I did about 300 miles over two different afternoons, one day solo and one afternoon with a pillon, riding a demo-T. The T was nice but I bought the R. Best decision I ever made, funnest bike I own / ever owned. The T felt heavier, less nimble, I hated the seat (granted you can swap the R and T seat, but the T seat didn't let me sit back far enough to shift / brake and I found myself picking my foot up off the peg for every shift - of course if you're carrying a passenger, you're gonna be forward anyway. The R seat is a dirt bike seat with lots or real estate to move around on). Suspension was a lot softer, but obviously I didn't spend time dialing it in. The R does everything I want and well. From 20 minute sessions on the track, to 300-400 mile day trips, to overniters. I did put a rack on the back to carry a tail bag, if it had a metal tank I woulda just used a tank bag. I do have a small windscreen ordered, not much wind protection out of the box. But it depends on how you ride. If Im riding hard the fuel lite comes on at about 100 and there's a gallon left. If Im taking it easy, well actually Im not sure in that case.... Just kidding Cruising around at legal highway speeds I think it comes on around 120 or so. I've never sat on a Wing, but I doubt either one of the 990's would be as nice for carrying a passenger on the slab, but with the right passenger and the right roads, the KTM would be a lot more fun :)

Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #373
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,079
After a couple of years with my 690r enduro I have become a fan of light weight. After I sold my RC51 I was looking for a big but light v-twin and the supermoto r fit the bill. The hypermotard is a little lighter but has a less powerful air cooled engine. I chose the r over the t because I did not need a touring bike and preferred the slightly more hooligan r. No regrets. The Supermoto R is a hoot! If it was going to be my commuter bike or for trips then it would be the t model.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #374
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by withiam View Post
But do we have 2010s and 2011s? Time for KTM to perform their signature rock bottom pricing.
Would like to find a dealer that wanted a 2008 SD on trade for a SM-R. Know of any?
As a Superduke owner I am curious as to why you want to switch to the SM-R? The bikes seem quite similar, but I would be interested to hear why....

High_Side

PS - The only bike that might lure me off of my 'duke is the SM-T!
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #375
No Degree
~~~~~~~~~~

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side View Post
As a Superduke owner I am curious as to why you want to switch to the SM-R? The bikes seem quite similar, but I would be interested to hear why....

High_Side

PS - The only bike that might lure me off of my 'duke is the SM-T!
Good question and has been asked before so I snagged my response from my SD For Sale ad here on ADVrider.

"Ever since I went to a KTM Ride Orange Mid-Ohio track day, I have lusted for a big Supermoto. I rode the SM-R five out of six sessions over the RC8. It was that much fun! Whether it be a KTM SM-R or Hypermotard, I would like to ride one those big Supermotos for awhile. If I had my choice, the SD and Hyper or SM-R would both reside in the barn. The SD is a great bike and it will not be a disappointment if it doesn't sell."

Anyone who has experienced the LC8 motor knows the reason we ride the big KTM. Presently, the SM-R ergos are more appealing to me than the SD. I don't mind the rear sets, I prefer more of a "standard" type of seating position. I also ride a DR650 converted to back road blaster. Installed a 19" front wheel amongst other goodies. It just doesn't have the power. The SM-R has the combination of everything I need for that type of riding.
Anyone ever consider a 19" front for the SM-R?
No Degree is offline   Reply With Quote