Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #691
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,079
Count me as an ex-990 SMR owner Mixed feelings. Great bike but in the end I hit the end of my rope dealing with immobilizer issues. After hassles and confusion since last June, the new immobilizer finally came in so I rode the bike to the dealer for them to pop in the new part and live happily ever after......except there were still error codes and the techs were unable to get it to work. I had been running the bike using a 2008 ECU and only wanted to repair the bike to be able to get a decent sales price for it. Almost as a joke I asked them what kind of a trade-in price they could give me for the bike if I traded it in for a 2014 500 EXC. I managed to get them to offer 8,000 bucks, which is in the low end ballpark of what I could get selling it on my own. Done deal. Maybe next Tuesday they will figure out the problem and get the SMR back to normal, but now it's not my worry, plus I no longer have to pay for the immobilizer and the labor. So that is another 400-500 bucks. This is the first bike I have ever owned that pushed me to sell it due to problems. Anyway, there will be a cherry 990 SMR for sale at Lynwood Motoplex pretty soon. Just ask them what year ECU the bike has in it
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #692
steved57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Real bummer issues made you want to part with it I have had mine since 2010 with no issues
Good luck with the 500 as they look awesome and you will be able to go anywhere on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Count me as an ex-990 SMR owner Mixed feelings. Great bike but in the end I hit the end of my rope dealing with immobilizer issues. After hassles and confusion since last June, the new immobilizer finally came in so I rode the bike to the dealer for them to pop in the new part and live happily ever after......except there were still error codes and the techs were unable to get it to work. I had been running the bike using a 2008 ECU and only wanted to repair the bike to be able to get a decent sales price for it. Almost as a joke I asked them what kind of a trade-in price they could give me for the bike if I traded it in for a 2014 500 EXC. I managed to get them to offer 8,000 bucks, which is in the low end ballpark of what I could get selling it on my own. Done deal. Maybe next Tuesday they will figure out the problem and get the SMR back to normal, but now it's not my worry, plus I no longer have to pay for the immobilizer and the labor. So that is another 400-500 bucks. This is the first bike I have ever owned that pushed me to sell it due to problems. Anyway, there will be a cherry 990 SMR for sale at Lynwood Motoplex pretty soon. Just ask them what year ECU the bike has in it
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto
2010 KTM RC8
steved57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #693
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,224
Question

Quote:
Count me as an ex-990 SMR owner Mixed feelings. Great bike but in the end I hit the end of my rope dealing with immobilizer issues. After hassles and confusion since last June, the new immobilizer finally came in so I rode the bike to the dealer for them to pop in the new part and live happily ever after......except there were still error codes and the techs were unable to get it to work. I had been running the bike using a 2008 ECU

?????????

and only wanted to repair the bike to be able to get a decent sales price for it. Almost as a joke I asked them what kind of a trade-in price they could give me for the bike if I traded it in for a 2014 500 EXC. I managed to get them to offer 8,000 bucks, which is in the low end ballpark of what I could get selling it on my own. Done deal. Maybe next Tuesday they will figure out the problem and get the SMR back to normal, but now it's not my worry, plus I no longer have to pay for the immobilizer and the labor. So that is another 400-500 bucks. This is the first bike I have ever owned that pushed me to sell it due to problems. Anyway, there will be a cherry 990 SMR for sale at Lynwood Motoplex pretty soon. Just ask them what year ECU the bike has in it

I must have missed something, Velociraptor.

Why is it that you had a 2008 ECU in you 2010 SM-R ???

Did the original ECU have a problem separate from the immobilizer, or is the immobilizer part of the ECU?

(If you already explained all this earlier in the thread, just help me locate the page please).

ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #694
Velociraptor
TrackBum

The 2008 ECU was pre-immobilizer so it does not look for an immobilizer. So if the immobilizer does not work you will get some error code blinks on the instrument panel but the 2008 ECU does not care so the bike runs. I pasted the values from my 2010 map into a 2008 map and it worked great. If I was not interested in selling the bike I would be happy enough just running the 2008 ECU forever.

The 2010 ECU looks for the correct immobilizer code so if the immobilizer is bad then the ECU does not get the correct code and the bike will not start-not even the starter motor will run....the bike is bricked.

This is a pretty rare coincidence the you can swap out a 2008 ECU to get around a bad immobilizer. It just happened that the 990 engine is not much changed from 2008 to 2010 and were both fuel injected so it works. I found out about the 2008 ECU trick from an inmate in Chile who got his Adventure running that way.

I noticed that the parts fiche for the 1190 Adventure no longer lists an immobilizer, so maybe they have a more robust system now. I sure hope so as there is nothing worse than to have a perfectly fine motorcycle bricked because of a theft deterrent failure. I was lucky because it failed in my garage. Imagine out on a ride or on a trip. You are screwed.

I still have a deposit down on a Superduke 1290 but am wavering a bit. At this point I am happy that the 1290 will not hit the States until next spring, so I can decide whether having 2 dual sport bikes is OK, or whether I really miss having a crazy street bike. If I had to decide now I would pass on the 1290.
2002 RC51 SOLD
Old 12-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #695
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Question

Quote:
The 2008 ECU was pre-immobilizer so it does not look for an immobilizer. So if the immobilizer does not work you will get some error code blinks on the instrument panel but the 2008 ECU does not care so the bike runs. I pasted the values from my 2010 map into a 2008 map and it worked great. If I was not interested in selling the bike I would be happy enough just running the 2008 ECU forever.

The 2010 ECU looks for the correct immobilizer code so if the immobilizer is bad then the ECU does not get the correct code and the bike will not start-not even the starter motor will run....the bike is bricked.

This is a pretty rare coincidence the you can swap out a 2008 ECU to get around a bad immobilizer. It just happened that the 990 engine is not much changed from 2008 to 2010 and were both fuel injected so it works. I found out about the 2008 ECU trick from an inmate in Chile who got his Adventure running that way.

I noticed that the parts fiche for the 1190 Adventure no longer lists an immobilizer, so maybe they have a more robust system now. I sure hope so as there is nothing worse than to have a perfectly fine motorcycle bricked because of a theft deterrent failure. I was lucky because it failed in my garage. Imagine out on a ride or on a trip. You are screwed.

I still have a deposit down on a Superduke 1290 but am wavering a bit. At this point I am happy that the 1290 will not hit the States until next spring, so I can decide whether having 2 dual sport bikes is OK, or whether I really miss having a crazy street bike. If I had to decide now I would pass on the 1290.
(I just want to make sure I understand this problem thoroughly in case someone else on this thread has the same problem later on)

So if it ran fine on the 2008 ECU and the immobilizer was no longer a factor, why are you selling the bike NOW?

Did you try the new immobilizer before or after trying the new ECU?

About how many miles were on the bike when this problem started?

Thanx

*I wonder if Vortex makes an ECU for the 990SM-R ???
Surely he wouldn't build an immobilizer into it would he?
I had so many ECU problems on my 690SMC that I finally trashed the KTM ECU and went to VORTEX. What an improvement! KTM should just get that guy to make all their ECU's for them.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #696
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Bike has between 4-5,000 miles. New immobilizer was tried with original 2010 ECU as that was the point-to get the bike working properly with the stock ECU. The immobilizier itself is a separate part from the ECU and plugs into the wiring loom in the headlight housing. The original diagnosis of failed immobilizer came using the KTM diagnostic box the dealer has. The original ECU checked out OK. This was done by the dealer as you need the KTM electronic box that dealers have to properly set up the coding and the communication between the ECU and the immobilizer(maybe the key too). You cannot just bypass the dealer and order a new immobilizer and install it and be good to go. I wish you could! In fact, to even get the new immobilizer I had to supply all the key codes that are on that plastic info card you get with the bike. Also I had to send a fax of my driver's license to prove that I was the owner of the bike, as using a 2008 ECU and trying to get a new immobilizer could be due to a theft! The new immobilizer is pre-progammed by KTM Austria then shipped to the dealer. BTW the bike was out of warranty so I was paying for everything. I normally do all my own work on bikes and really try to avoid dealers, but in this case there was no choice.

I wanted to get the bike back to the stock setup so it would be easier to sell, as I was planning on trying to sell the bike myself instead of trading it in. I imagine that it would not be a good selling point to have a red light constantly flashing on the instrument panel and then have to explain the whole immobilizer failure issue. Oh and you also have to be careful about loading maps into the ECU because no one knows what will happen if you accidentally load a 2010 map into a 2008 ECU because this bike has a 2008 ECU and a 2010 ECU will not work anymore!

The trade of the bike for a 2014 500 EXC was impulsive, but was triggered by 4 things.

1. The new immobilizer was still not resolving the problem. Perhaps it was dealer incompetence, or indicative of some other electronic problem, so maybe the dealer would fix it the next day, or maybe it would be months before it was fixed, if ever. Keep in mind I had already hit 6 months of dealing with this problem, which happened in June.

2. An offhand question about trade in value ended up giving me a value in the range of what I was willing to sell it for. Why they gave me a good offer is a bit of a mystery. They must think they can fix it. I was expecting either no offer at all since the bike still was not fixed, or a very low offer which I would have rejected. I am assuming they were being honest with me about still not being able to fix the bike, as I asked about trade-in value after they still could not fix it. Maybe they are just going to ditch the whole repair effort and sell it with the 2008 ECU and try to BS a buyer about the flashing light on the instrument panel.

3. I had always been interested in the 500 EXC and they had a 2014 model on the floor.

4. I was fed up with dealing with the whole thing.

Again, I was planning on selling the bike to buy a 1290 Superduke whether or not I had ever had a problem with the ECU. So the only downside for trading the bike in was that it complicated that whole plan since I am limited to two bikes and now have two dual sport bikes. I would have to sell one of those bikes to buy a 1290 and I really like them both. I may be content to buy a second year 1290 and see if any problems arise with the first year. Or I may never buy one. Dont' know at the moment. One good point about the 500 EXC is no immobilizer and no coded key:)

I think that the immobilizer problem I had is not common, although a number of people have had failures. This system was on all the post 2008 fuel injected 990s as far as I know.

The 990 SMR is a really great bike and I loved riding mine, but the 1290 caught my eye so I decided to sell the SMR for that reason. The immobilizer problem complicated that, and I ended up trading the SMR for another bike instead of selling it outright.

BTW the 500 EXC weighs 266lbs wet and is a crazier bike than the SMR in my book. Not a great highway bike though

*I am running a Vortex ECU on my 690 enduro. Works great! I don't know of any aftermarket ECUs for the 990s.
2002 RC51 SOLD

Velociraptor screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 05:55 PM
Old 12-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #697
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Question

Quote:
Bike has between 4-5,000 miles. New immobilizer was tried with original 2010 ECU as that was the point-to get the bike working properly with the stock ECU. The immobilizier itself is a separate part from the ECU and plugs into the wiring loom in the headlight housing. The original diagnosis of failed immobilizer came using the KTM diagnostic box the dealer has. The original ECU checked out OK. This was done by the dealer as you need the KTM electronic box that dealers have to properly set up the coding and the communication between the ECU and the immobilizer(maybe the key too). You cannot just bypass the dealer and order a new immobilizer and install it and be good to go. I wish you could! In fact, to even get the new immobilizer I had to supply all the key codes that are on that plastic info card you get with the bike. Also I had to send a fax of my driver's license to prove that I was the owner of the bike, as using a 2008 ECU and trying to get a new immobilizer could be due to a theft! The new immobilizer is pre-progammed by KTM Austria then shipped to the dealer. BTW the bike was out of warranty so I was paying for everything. I normally do all my own work on bikes and really try to avoid dealers, but in this case there was no choice.

I wanted to get the bike back to the stock setup so it would be easier to sell, as I was planning on trying to sell the bike myself instead of trading it in. I imagine that it would not be a good selling point to have a red light constantly flashing on the instrument panel and then have to explain the whole immobilizer failure issue. Oh and you also have to be careful about loading maps into the ECU because no one knows what will happen if you accidentally load a 2010 map into a 2008 ECU because this bike has a 2008 ECU and a 2010 ECU will not work anymore!

The trade of the bike for a 2014 500 EXC was impulsive, but was triggered by 4 things.

1. The new immobilizer was still not resolving the problem. Perhaps it was dealer incompetence, or indicative of some other electronic problem, so maybe the dealer would fix it the next day, or maybe it would be months before it was fixed, if ever. Keep in mind I had already hit 6 months of dealing with this problem, which happened in June.

2. An offhand question about trade in value ended up giving me a value in the range of what I was willing to sell it for. Why they gave me a good offer is a bit of a mystery. They must think they can fix it. I was expecting either no offer at all since the bike still was not fixed, or a very low offer which I would have rejected. I am assuming they were being honest with me about still not being able to fix the bike, as I asked about trade-in value after they still could not fix it. Maybe they are just going to ditch the whole repair effort and sell it with the 2008 ECU and try to BS a buyer about the flashing light on the instrument panel.

3. I had always been interested in the 500 EXC and they had a 2014 model on the floor.

4. I was fed up with dealing with the whole thing.

Again, I was planning on selling the bike to buy a 1290 Superduke whether or not I had ever had a problem with the ECU. So the only downside for trading the bike in was that it complicated that whole plan since I am limited to two bikes and now have two dual sport bikes. I would have to sell one of those bikes to buy a 1290 and I really like them both. I may be content to buy a second year 1290 and see if any problems arise with the first year. Or I may never buy one. Dont' know at the moment. One good point about the 500 EXC is no immobilizer and no coded key:)

I think that the immobilizer problem I had is not common, although a number of people have had failures. This system was on all the post 2008 fuel injected 990s as far as I know.

The 990 SMR is a really great bike and I loved riding mine, but the 1290 caught my eye so I decided to sell the SMR for that reason. The immobilizer problem complicated that, and I ended up trading the SMR for another bike instead of selling it outright.

BTW the 500 EXC weighs 266lbs wet and is a crazier bike than the SMR in my book. Not a great highway bike though

*I am running a Vortex ECU on my 690 enduro. Works great! I don't know of any aftermarket ECUs for the 990s.
Yeah, I would be fed up with the whole thing too!

I guess I am still not able to follow where the switch of ECU's came about:

At the top of the 1st paragraph, they are installing a new immobilizer and programming it to the original 2010 ECU, because that ECU checked out, right?

Later in that paragraph, you are sending them a fax of your driver's license so they will send you a SECOND (?) immobilizer to match the bike with a 2008 ECU in it ??? (Or did you send the 1st immobilizer back?)

So somewhere in between, you must have switched the ECU from a 2010 to a 2008, but didn't you say in an earlier post that the 2008 ECU didn't NEED an immobilizer because the 2008 ECU doesn't look for one?

Sorry for all the detailed questions, Velociraptor, but I'm trying to get a step-by-step picture of this whole thing in my mind for future reference in case this happens to others on this thread including ME!

I hate the idea of even having an immobilizer on the bike.
It is just a complication to having a dependable motorcycle.

Thanx for helping us with this.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #698
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,171
I don't even like safety switches on sidestands or clutch levers, they always go bad at the most inconvenient time. If there was a way to immobilize the immobilizer, I'd do it in a heart beat. I bet they cause more problems for the legal owner than detour thefts.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #699
Velociraptor
TrackBum

June-immobilizer fails, bike towed to dealer

One month at dealer during which dealer tells me immobilizer ordered, will not arrive until September.

During this time I discover a 2008 ECU might work so purchase one from this place:

http://stores.ebay.com/Rubber-Side-Up-LLC

Bring 2008 ECU to dealer, they install it, bike runs.

Tell dealer to keep ordering immobilizer, call me when it comes in, as I want to get bike back to stock with 2010 ECU to better be able to sell it since I am interested in new Superduke 1290.

July to November. Ride bike with 2008 ECU. No word from dealer.

Early November. Visit dealer. Discover immobilizer never ordered! Many apologies from dealer. No explanation why this happened. Immobilizer re-ordered.

Early December new immobilizer arrives. Ride bike to dealer on Saturday. New immobilizer installed and original 2010 ECU put back in bike. Bike still will not run, but gives slightly different error codes-still immobilizer related. Tech is not sure how to fix it, hopes another tech might be able to fix it during the coming week.

Trade bike for 2014 500 EXC.

Leave tech with new immobilizer, and both 2008 and 2010 ECUs. Was going to take 2008 ECU, but tech wanted it as at least bike will run with 2008 ECU.
2002 RC51 SOLD

Velociraptor screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 09:04 AM
Old 12-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #700
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineymountainracing View Post
i don't even like safety switches on sidestands or clutch levers, they always go bad at the most inconvenient time. If there was a way to immobilize the immobilizer, i'd do it in a heart beat. I bet they cause more problems for the legal owner than detour thefts.

bingo!

Old 12-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #701
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Quote:
June-immobilizer fails, bike towed to dealer

One month at dealer during which dealer tells me immobilizer ordered, will not arrive until September.

During this time I discover a 2008 ECU might work so purchase one from this place:

http://stores.ebay.com/Rubber-Side-Up-LLC

Line 5: Bring 2008 ECU to dealer, they install it, bike runs.

Tell dealer to keep ordering immobilizer, call me when it comes in, as I want to get bike back to stock with 2010 ECU to better be able to sell it since I am interested in new Superduke 1290.

July to November. Ride bike with 2008 ECU. No word from dealer.

Early November. Visit dealer. Discover immobilizer never ordered! Many apologies from dealer. No explanation why this happened. Immobilizer re-ordered.

Early December new immobilizer arrives. Ride bike to dealer on Saturday. New immobilizer installed and original 2010 ECU put back in bike. Bike still will not run, but gives slightly different error codes-still immobilizer related. Tech is not sure how to fix it, hopes another tech might be able to fix it during the coming week.

Trade bike for 2014 500 EXC.

Leave tech with new immobilizer, and both 2008 and 2010 ECUs. Was going to take 2008 ECU, but tech wanted it as at least bike will run with 2008 ECU.

Thanx Velociraptor.
That will be helpful to us in the future.

I would have stopped right at the end of line 5 and said thank you Jesus.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #702
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Yeah probably should have stopped at line 5 I blame it all on that Superduke 1290!
2002 RC51 SOLD
Old 12-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #703
4ferma
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I'm sure the answer is in this thread somewhere but could some one tell me if it is totally impossible to get a 13 or 14 smr to the states. Thanks
4ferma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #704
Velvet
Very smooth

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ferma View Post
I'm sure the answer is in this thread somewhere but could some one tell me if it is totally impossible to get a 13 or 14 smr to the states. Thanks
I don't think its addressed in this thread, however, it would probably be more trouble than its worth to import a new Euro spec'ed vehicle into the US. Lots of hoops to jump through with E.P.A. and U.S. D.O.T. You'd be better off just finding a very clean '10 or '11 SMR U.S. model.
Velvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #705
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ferma View Post

99% sure that subject never came up in THIS thread.

I agree with Velvet.
WAY too many obstacles to make the effort worth it.

You should start your own thread titled,
"What are the obstacles to importing (and legalizing and getting parts for) a Euro Spec bike to the US.
I bet you would get an earful of reasons NOT to even try.