ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
I bought the InReach. Also have a SPOT II.

The InReach tracks pretty good and have message confirmation - which really mean the message has been sent. SPOT II will have a message "sending" light, but it is not a confirmation that the message made it. .
Add your cell phone number to your SPOT contacts list. When you press the OK button on the SPOT, your cell phone will ring in a few seconds. Any lengthy delay is due to your cell phone provider.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #32
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So basically - both are moderatley OK. But I dont have a lot of trust in them. They are fine to say "see where I am", but not reliable enough to say "this was my last location before I fell in the hole, start looking here".
That's why you want something with a tracking feature.

I was following a rider on his trip to Alaska though his SPOT shared page. I noticed that he wasn't moving for some time, flags kept dropping along the side of the road, so I called his cell. The engine on his bike blew and he was waiting for a tow. The call, somewhat shocked him.

daryl
Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #33
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Add your cell phone number to your SPOT contacts list. When you press the OK button on the SPOT, your cell phone will ring in a few seconds. Any lengthy delay is due to your cell phone provider.

daryl
Or due to the fact that your way off the cell grid in the middle of nowhere and miles from any cell signal. That's why I got the SPOT.

I'm liking what this unit can do as I've found my original version SPOT a bit limiting. I've had a couple incidents where the SPOT preset help message was a bit overkill, certainly nowhere near an SOS level event. In one incident I did use the help message and set off general panic amongst all the recipients. The second time I chose not to use it and just managed on my own until I could get to a cell signal and call home. The ability to send a message tailored to the situation would be fantastic, though as was pointed out earlier, the SPOT connect is not really the best device either due it's limitations as a stand alone device. Being able to have two way communication would be superb, someday perhaps

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #34
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Or due to the fact that your way off the cell grid in the middle of nowhere and miles from any cell signal. That's why I got the SPOT.
By adding your cell phone number to your contacts page, your building confidence that the system works for when your out of cell service.

Purchase any hardware or service you feel makes you safe. But keep in mind, your still at the mercy of the rescue infrastructure that's in place wherever your at in the world. Be it in the US, Mexico or Russia.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 04:32 AM
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #35
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
By adding your cell phone number to your contacts page, your building confidence that the system works for when your out of cell service.

Purchase any hardware or service you feel makes you safe. But keep in mind, your still at the mercy of the rescue infrastructure that's in place wherever your at in the world. Be it in the US, Mexico or Russia.

daryl
I do have mine set to send me a text message, but many times it doesn't get to my phone until hours or days later depending on where I am. It is a good method to verify the messages are going through from the service, but not always timely, so it's not a perfect indicator.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #36
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
That's why you want something with a tracking feature.

I was following a rider on his trip to Alaska though his SPOT shared page. I noticed that he wasn't moving for some time, flags kept dropping along the side of the road, so I called his cell. The engine on his bike blew and he was waiting for a tow. The call, somewhat shocked him.

daryl
huh?!? If I was in cell range, I'd be doing something WAY different. As I put in my post. I am not road riding - I am way out in the woods way far away from any civilization. The tracking sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. For real back country travel (away from cell coverage), you have no way of telling if messages got through successfully.

The SPOT is fine for what it is - unconfirmable messages and tracking - but its not a reliable lifesaver. I will still have the PLB and sat phone, hand out my plans before going and give a deadline.

Oh, and a cell phone for when I come back to easy riding country and I am at the bar.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #37
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
huh?!? If I was in cell range, I'd be doing something WAY different. As I put in my post. I am not road riding - I am way out in the woods way far away from any civilization. The tracking sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. For real back country travel (away from cell coverage), you have no way of telling if messages got through successfully.

The SPOT is fine for what it is - unconfirmable messages and tracking - but its not a reliable lifesaver. I will still have the PLB and sat phone, hand out my plans before going and give a deadline.

Oh, and a cell phone for when I come back to easy riding country and I am at the bar.
Some SPOT owners don't think about sending themselves a text message to test that the 'OK' messages are going out. Its a great way to show to others how the system works. As you said, you won't receive the text messages, if your out of a cell service area.

I own a SPOT and have been quite pleased with it, it does what I want for a price I'm willing to pay. I used the 'HELP' function as a poor mans tracker to see how tracking worked before purchasing the tracking package.

What model sat phone and PLB do you have?

Can your sat phone receive text messages?

Did you add your sat phone number to the 'Additional info' box on your SPOT profile page?

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 04:53 AM
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #38
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Daryl, It sounds like you have the right idea about SPOT. Just like any technology it has its limitations. My SPOT II is starting to grow on me - it's kinda fun. I enjoy sharing the info with friends. I give my wife quizzes every time I am out, so she really know how to use the information in case I do not return and the predetermined time.

The PLB I use is a FastFind/ We have been taking PLBs mountaineering for years. I have never needed it, but one of our group did once, when a fall resulted in a broken leg on the top of a peak. Another time another group had a sprained ankle on a multiday mountain trip. In Canada, PLB rescue is through the Military, so they send a spotter jet overhead first, then send a helicopter. For both, they had to do a highline rescue.

The sat phone I use is Iridium, yes it does text messages and voice. BUT it has limitations too, like delays in receiving test messages. Kinda crappy for an expensive setup.

I need to express though: my trips are in the middle of nowhere - the deeper and more remote, the better I like it. I will often be by myself. 100s of ks away from any road.

I do a huge amount of backcountry actvities - far away from cell towers and people - so this stuff is par for the course. For years I never carried anything, but as I get older, I experience a little more and learn a bit more, so I get more training and get more prepared.

Like all of the backcountry stuff I do: training is #1, being prepared is #2, working under my limits when in deep is #3. All the technology is just to make it easier in case of a bad problem.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #39
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,033
What about the battery life? 60hrs? not vey long. Any one else?
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #40
Cap'n Ron
The Devil's Advocate

Oddometer: 526
Another player entering the game: http://cerberus.briartek.com/cerberlink

A little higher initial investment but lower per month cost for what appears to be slightly more service. I think more competition in this market is going to really help give us more user options and lower costs.

Exploration is the key to a youthful outlook!
"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." -Ann Trason on running marathons.
Cap'n Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #41
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Cap'n Ron,

Interesting player to the game. I poked around on their site and noticed it will work with iOS. For those that are interested Ceberus has free app's and a downloadable user guide on their site to look at.

App here - http://cerberus.briartek.com/cerbertouch

User Manual - http://cerberus.briartek.com/support

To get back on topic...

I had been thinking about getting a SPOT (or a Sat Phone and PLB) when I came across the inReach. Given some of the issues folks have had with SPOT I'm leaning more towards the inReach at this time.

If I had not already bought a Garmin Montana and supporting hardware and maps for it I'd be very tempted to return the Montana to REI and bring home the inReach and a Delorme Earthmate PN60w since that would give me the GPS and SPOT functions along with two-way txt msg's if I was out of cell service range.

Nothings perfect but it's good to know I'm not locked into a SPOT the way I thought I was.

Jon...
Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #42
Get_Bent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Recently purchased an inReach.

With only one ride so far, here are my thoughts:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....84&postcount=5
Live in Minnesota and Ride? Read this
Get_Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #43
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Thanks for the report. You're right, the map sure is different than what SPOT does. It will be interesting to see how it progresses over time.

Jon...
Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #44
Get_Bent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
I ran the firmware update for the InReach as well as the Update for the Earthmate app.

As of right now the inReach only works in standalone mode. I've been unable to pair the phone and the device.
Live in Minnesota and Ride? Read this
Get_Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #45
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah I had the same problem - pairing. I tried with two different HTC phones - which is a known problem. Then I tried with Galaxy tab. The tab ended up working. Then I went on a field test and the pairing screwed up. It was a total PIA. Which is too bad, because its a good concept.

I ended up returning the InReach, because of the pairing issue and track plans in Canada are way to expensive. I ended up with Spot II and a PLB.

I'd am interested to hear how yours makes out.