Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #1501
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
In theory most of the base models of compact and mid-size Japanese cars come with a manual. In practice finding anything other than a Golf or a Civic with a stick is a real challenge. I had to hunt for my Mazda 3 far and wide, and settle for a color that I don't like. But it's an excellent potential girlfriend screening device: if she has absolutely no desire to learn to drive stick...
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #1502
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
In theory most of the base models of compact and mid-size Japanese cars come with a manual. In practice finding anything other than a Golf or a Civic with a stick is a real challenge. I had to hunt for my Mazda 3 far and wide, and settle for a color that I don't like. But it's an excellent potential girlfriend screening device: if she has absolutely no desire to learn to drive stick...
I had no problems at all getting my Mitsubishi Lancer (and its not a base model) with a manual transmission. NUMEROUS colors and options to choose from when I bought it, all with manuals.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #1503
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,794
Just a little something I heard about at work:

62 FUCKING PERCENT just not paying attention. No excuse, no multitasking, no talking on the phone or messing with the electronics.

"sorry, I just wasn't paying attention as I was sitting in my moving multi-ton death machine"

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #1504
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Just a little something I heard about at work:

62 FUCKING PERCENT just not paying attention. No excuse, no multitasking, no talking on the phone or messing with the electronics.

"sorry, I just wasn't paying attention as I was sitting in my moving multi-ton death machine"
That's 62 percent of the "at least one-in ten", so over 6.2%, which my gut tells me is way, way, waaaay too low.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #1505
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
That's 62 percent of the "at least one-in ten", so over 6.2%, which my gut tells me is way, way, waaaay too low.
Hmm. I took it as "of the distracted doofuses you see on the road, 62% of them are just brain dead" rather than victims of the cellphone zombie apocalypse.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #1506
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
From NASIOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
Anybody have a cam on their helmet? I picked up a liquid-image ego a while back. so far its been great.

Got this footage this morning: SUV driver cuts off me - and cop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tCFnKG79U4

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #1507
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
When I bought my Mazda3 in late 2008, the 3 was one of the few cars I didn't have trouble finding in a manual--even better, most of the leftover '08 mid-level sedans were manuals! I did have to use the Mazda website to see who had them, though. Got a sweet discount, but definitely wasted a lot of time trying to find manuals in the competition; I actually never found a manual Corolla.

You want a serious challenge, try finding anything bigger than a Focus/Corolla/3 with a stick. I initially wanted a Fusion but there was one manual Fusion in the entire state of California, and it was 350 miles away.

I should have used mine as a girlfriend screening device. I don't have the 3 or the GF anymore so it's OK
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #1508
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Hmm. I took it as "of the distracted doofuses you see on the road, 62% of them are just brain dead" rather than victims of the cellphone zombie apocalypse.
I don't think that's what it meant - but you were probably not far from the truth.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #1509
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarehead View Post
You would not believe how hard it was to find a BMW X3 with three pedals
Yes I can. I worked at a BMW (car) dealer for 2 whole days. Couple came in from PA to buy the ONE X3 with a manual they could find.

I found ONE X5 with a stick on CL DC. Too bad I didn't have the $$ to jump on it.

M
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #1510
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,017
Hey now. Some of us make a living because of those idiots and their cell phones ( I manage a tow company)
Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #1511
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
When I bought my Mazda3 in late 2008, the 3 was one of the few cars I didn't have trouble finding in a manual--even better, most of the leftover '08 mid-level sedans were manuals! I did have to use the Mazda website to see who had them, though.
The local Mazda dealer currently has 63 Mazda3s in stock, including 3 Speed3 (at least according to the website). Every. Single. One. is an automatic.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #1512
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
I had trouble finding my '12 Focus in the right color and trim, with a manual. Ended up having to drive 7 hours round trip to get it.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #1513
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,418
Any motorcycle commuting stories?

The How to locate a stick shift car forum is in the Fluff section in "Shiny things"

Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #1514
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The How to locate a stick shift car forum is in the Fluff section in "Shiny things"

Rode 110 miles this weekend, in 95 degree, 60% humidity weather.

Soaking my gear and letting it evaporate as I motored along helped, but hot is hot!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #1515
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I've been waiting until I had something semi interesting to add before I posted. Well, here ya go...

http://youtu.be/oFnwGQbdfaQ
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote