Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #1666
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairBear View Post
Back when I drove the car on the highway to get to work, I'd zip along in the empty righthand lane (3 lanes) & be to work in 10 minutes. Nobody wanted the stigma of being in the slow lane.
This! In Mexico on the toll roads the inside lane is always empty except for the very slowest of vehicles.

After learning to drive in the UK, passing on the inside fells all kinds of wrong (similar to going the wrong way up a one-way street) but you have to get used to it to deal with the outside lane campers.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #1667
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
This! In Mexico on the toll roads the inside lane is always empty except for the very slowest of vehicles.

After learning to drive in the UK, passing on the inside fells all kinds of wrong (similar to going the wrong way up a one-way street) but you have to get used to it to deal with the outside lane campers.
I had the same problem getting used to passing on the inside after living in the UK. I now occasionally do it when I'm back in the UK but it usually gets people mad so I try to remember not to.

Back in the mid 80's, I had a job at Heathrow airport. The M25 was still under construction, ending at the cargo terminal exit. For the last mile or so, I used to do 100mph up the shoulder on my bike while all three lanes were crawling toward the exit at walking pace.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #1668
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Last night I was sitting at a red light on my DR650. Guy making a left turn from the other road gives me the stink eye so I started to bounce up and down on my seat and bouncing my head around all crazy like. I'll bet he's on his favorite website idriveaboringcar.com commenting on how crazy them there motorcyclists are!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #1669
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
Last night I was sitting at a red light on my DR650. Guy making a left turn from the other road gives me the stink eye so I started to bounce up and down on my seat and bouncing my head around all crazy like. I'll bet he's on his favorite website idriveaboringcar.com commenting on how crazy them there motorcyclists are!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #1670
GDI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I'm heading home from work on a rural, two-lane, county road cruising at 5-10 mph over the posted limit of 55mph. It's a beautiful day and no traffic until I caught up with a late-model, dark red, Ford Focus. The car is just puttering along at maybe 40mph, so I back off the throttle and start slowing down. I'm in a no-passing zone as we're in a bit of a valley just starting up the hill on the other side. The car continues to slow, hits the brakes and eventually comes basically to a stop just as it comes to a crossroad. But, it never had indicated which way it was going to turn! I had been in the left tire-track considering a pass, but then move to the right tire-track. Finally, the car makes a left turn onto the crossroad. By this time, I'm mashing the shifter down about 3 gears 'cause I'd had to slow so quickly that I didn't have time to downshift through the gears. I give him a nice little toot from my horn as I pass just to let him know that I was there, and that he's an amazing driver.

He gets all pissed off and lays on the horn like I was out of line!

I thought about it a while, and the only conclusion that I can come up with is that he had seen me coming up behind him, and he thought he'd stop in the middle of the road, so that I could pass him--even though we're in a no-passing zone, and there is very poor visibility as traffic could pop over the little hill that we're on. He got angry at me and retaliated w/ his horn because I had been "ungrateful" for him stopping in front of me!

Well, that's my best guess anyway?

GDI
GDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #1671
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Some people respond with anger when they are caught being stupid.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #1672
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,140
That.

And being convinced they've every right to their anger makes them most dangerous... and hilarious.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #1673
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
Not sure whether to put this in the commuting thread (I was commuting) or the douchebag thread (it was an Audi).

I was coming into work this morning on the CBR (grabbed a CBR250R for while I rebuild the F), and came up to a two-lane on-ramp that merges into one. A third lane splits off to an early exit to the right. I am in the center lane of the three, and will have to merge left in about 300m.

There is a larger truck in the right lane that has to merge into the center lane, signals on, ok. I can wait for him to make his merge, I'm not in a hurry. Check that. I was not in a hurry until I noticed that the Audi behind him was in a hurry, and wanted to eat my mirror! Yikes.

I gunned it out of that hole, felt bad about going around the poor truck, but it was better to escape than become breakfast for the stupid Audi. And seriously. I have the Captain America Honda. I'm hi-vis'd out. It's a tiny single screaming at 7K rpm. How the f*ck could he miss me, if that was going to be his excuse?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #1674
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,796
He wasn't interested in missing you.
YOU were in HIS way. And he of course is more important.

And he figured since it wasn't a big bike he wouldn't bang up his car much when he ran into you.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #1675
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
Good point. The GS would have done damage....
Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #1676
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
until I noticed that the Audi behind him was in a hurry
this should rightfully be enough for a conviction
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #1677
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Not sure whether to put this in the commuting thread (I was commuting) or the douchebag thread (it was an Audi).

I was coming into work this morning on the CBR (grabbed a CBR250R for while I rebuild the F), and came up to a two-lane on-ramp that merges into one. A third lane splits off to an early exit to the right. I am in the center lane of the three, and will have to merge left in about 300m.

There is a larger truck in the right lane that has to merge into the center lane, signals on, ok. I can wait for him to make his merge, I'm not in a hurry. Check that. I was not in a hurry until I noticed that the Audi behind him was in a hurry, and wanted to eat my mirror! Yikes.

I gunned it out of that hole, felt bad about going around the poor truck, but it was better to escape than become breakfast for the stupid Audi. And seriously. I have the Captain America Honda. I'm hi-vis'd out. It's a tiny single screaming at 7K rpm. How the f*ck could he miss me, if that was going to be his excuse?
When I lived in Germany, I was shopping for a BMW and my girlfriend (German) thought that was a bit pretentious. Her mom smiled and said "You have to buy a BMW, Mercedes, or an Audi. They have the priority built-in. You'll never have to yield again."

I bought a Peugeot instead.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #1678
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
There is no way in hell that Audi's are anywhere near as pretentious as BMWs and Mercedes.... Just saying.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #1679
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
There is no way in hell that Audi's are anywhere near as pretentious as BMWs and Mercedes.... Just saying.
The only reason I bought an A4 was because I got tired of telling people that I was better then them.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #1680
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post

"You have to buy a BMW, Mercedes, or an Audi. They have the priority built-in. You'll never have to yield again."

Der Mercedes Stern: Eingebaute Vorfahrt!!!!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote