Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #166
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Unless you're passing or making a left turn soon, get out of the left lane.
Not in that part of Winter Haven. So many cars in each lane, it's usually a struggle to change lanes, which makes it even worse that I saw red so fast with the idiot in the Taurus. Not to mention, the next set of lights the right lane turns into a turning only lane, the left continues straight, so I guess that I'm still fine lol. I'm huge on the keep-right-except-to-pass thing. Sometimes I might stay in the left longer than I need to, but only if there's nobody behind me...the second I see someone approaching, I move back to the right. I always get so fed up when there's some idiot i nthe left going less than the limit, or someone who changes lanes over from the right without signalling just to be going slower than I was going...and then when we get to the next set of lights where I need to turn left, they just keep going straight...and nobody was in front of them in the right! Ugh. Florida.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #167
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Panther13 View Post
Not in that part of Winter Haven. So many cars in each lane, it's usually a struggle to change lanes, which makes it even worse that I saw red so fast with the idiot in the Taurus. Not to mention, the next set of lights the right lane turns into a turning only lane, the left continues straight, so I guess that I'm still fine lol. I'm huge on the keep-right-except-to-pass thing. Sometimes I might stay in the left longer than I need to, but only if there's nobody behind me...the second I see someone approaching, I move back to the right. I always get so fed up when there's some idiot i nthe left going less than the limit, or someone who changes lanes over from the right without signalling just to be going slower than I was going...and then when we get to the next set of lights where I need to turn left, they just keep going straight...and nobody was in front of them in the right! Ugh. Florida.

Yeah, that's like yielding for an emergency vehicle here...

I was brought up you always yield right, so the emergency vehicle can have the center.

I wish they'd tell that to every Nashville driver that thinks using your mirrors and preparing for movements BEFORE you had to, was a daily part of a driving task that's too hard to do.

The problem is, there are those that can drive and don't need rules. And those that are just caught up in anything BUT driving and there is no clear laws to discern the two.

I've looked it up, and for the most part overtaking on the right, while unsafe compared to overtaking on the left, is NOT illegal here.

The law says "in places where passing on the right is permitted" .

It should be only used as a last resort... But then again, I'm a rare driver type that recognizes the increased blind-spot a left had drive vehicle has on the right hand side. But try and explain that to a steering wheel holder.

The point is there is no law, so there is no common law to prove who is right and who is wrong in that situation.

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #168
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Heh how'd I miss this th'd?

This week was the usual clusterfuck, but I got to play big bad biker and terrify some poor dumb ass woman. Pull up behind a Subaru at a light, that had just made the cliched three lane wide right turn out of an industrial strip mall. And her keys are still hanging out of the tail gate. Not just your usual key ring but a huge honkin' 2lbs of metal high school janitor key ring.

Pull up behind her, flip the stand down and grab the keys out of the gate and walk up the drivers side to knock on her window. She FLIPS, gives a huge horror movie shriek and gases it through the RED light, barely dodging a minivan. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
At this point, standing in the middle of the street holding a fist sized hunk of keys, having a red pill/blue pill moment I think what the hell and take off after her. Besides this could be fun.

I think she had just settled down her breathing when she looks into her mirror and sees big bad biker on her bumper, eyes like saucers when she turns into a cookie cutter subdivision, yakking on her phone, rolling through stop signs and tickling "go straight to jail" over the limit speeds. Screams into her driveway, and hubby is there in the driveway in his boxers. I'm laughing my ass off wondering if I'm going to have to explain beating his ass to the cops or not, so I just sit on the bike at the end of the driveway and jangle this giant ass key ring until the "OH" expression descends upon their faces and hubby comes down and grabs them with a meek "thanks".

Probably kinda dumb, but it broke up the usual clusterfuck of pig heads, Tim Horton's cups & Egg McMuffins
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #169
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
My commute is only about three miles on surface streets
Which is where my addition to this thread was... In Tucson, there are no highways. You wanna get from one side to the other you have to take the surface streets.

So I'm headed north from the office towards home.

Get stopped at a light and notice a Hardley Ableson sitting in the left side of the lane one car ahead of me.

Cool. I'll make this easy for everyone and pop up next to him.

So I did.

I looked over and nodded. Looked back at the light, waiting.

I look back over at Hardley boy and noticed is was a nice-looking bobber. Look up and his mouth's moving.

Huh? He wants to talk?!

I have the MP3 player going so I'm not hearing what he's saying till someone takes a breath in the song that was on.

Turns out, he's saying 'you're in my lane.'

Huh?!

You're in my lane. Why are you in my lane?! Not talking, huh?! ...and proceeds to get worked up to 'get out of my lane!

So I've got the music turned off and I'm just as confused as hell. WTF are you upset about?!

Then he gets off his bike and starts to go round like he's gonna punch me!

Uhhhh K. WTF is your problem?!

Bout this time, he's pretty well frothing at the mouth yelling 'get out of my lane!' so I did.

Just as the light turned green. I'm in insurance. Its ALL I need to be on the news 'insurance agent gets into a fight on X rd, Tucson...' You just KNOW someone had the video camera out for that!

To this day, I still don't quite know WTF that guy's problem was. IDK if it was that I was on my GS-Adv with my whale foreskin jacket on, that I wasn't on another Hardley, or what.

M
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 AM   #170
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Probably kinda dumb, but it broke up the usual clusterfuck of pig heads, Tim Horton's cups & Egg McMuffins

Actually the best one I've heard in a while!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:09 AM   #171
khager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
To this day, I still don't quite know WTF that guy's problem was. IDK if it was that I was on my GS-Adv with my whale foreskin jacket on, that I wasn't on another Hardley, or what.

M

He was on a Hardley, what if one of his Hardley buddies would have seen him hanging with a GS, oh the shame!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #172
Road Program
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
I can see his point. Not sure about AZ, but in some states lane sharing is illegal, specifically meaning two motorcycles may not ride side by side, or for that matter sit side by side. So here's this other rider, minding his own business when some guy he doesn't know pulls up next to him at a light, effectively causing him to break the law. Mr Harley rider kindly asks stranger to leave his lane and is ignored.

Lane sharing legal or not, I'd be pretty pissed if someone I didn't know pulled up right next to me. As a vehicle on the road you're entitled to a whole lane. Random guy pulls up next to you at a turn and you don't know what's going to happen when the light turns green...is he going to go first, same time, fall in behind, crash into you?

Sorry, I can't see a scenario where you're in the right here.
Road Program is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #173
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Program View Post
Lane sharing legal or not, I'd be pretty pissed if someone I didn't know pulled up right next to me.
When stopped at a light if another rider pulls up behind me and stops short... I wonder why the hell he stopped short and did not pull up beside me. ???
Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #174
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,394
On my commute, think it was Wednesday of this week, I was stopped at a light with a woman in a car next to me. She was holding a very fancy coffee mug with what appeared to be hot coffee...while reading a laptop on her lap. Light turned green and I started to go, while she sat there for a few seconds with cars behind her.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #175
khager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
When stopped at a light if another rider pulls up behind me and stops short... I wonder why the hell he stopped short and did not pull up beside me. ???
I don't have a problem with it either. If the other rider is there first, I let him go first unless he motions for me to go first.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #176
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Yeah, I tend to pull up next to other bikes when it's safe, or when I know that the light may take a little while...or even if I want to pass them. Every time I've always gotten a nice (short) conversation out of it. Once I was taught a lesson in commuting in Kissimmee...I was waiting to pull out of a gas station, and I saw a guy riding a Suzuki Boulevard getting tailed horribly by some twat in a Honda Civic. So I pulled out behind the civic, and positioned my headlight to his mirrors (even though it was daylight, if I position my headlight right it can really get to people) the guy freaked out, slammed on his brakes, and turned into the first side road he could. I pull up next to the Suzuki, pointed at the car speeding crazily down the side road, and said "Man, what a jackass. Hey, mind if I pass you? I'm gonna be late to work."

He chuckled, and gave me the go-ahead. Once the light turned green I took off, and was going in and out of traffic as fast as I could (but no lane splitting or filtering or anything). Sure enough, at the next red light, I look in my mirrors, and here comes old slow Boulevard right behind me. He pulls next to me. I say 'Wow, guess that that didn't make much of a difference, huh?" "Nope, it never does!" he replies. I pulled away from him again just to get blocked off again...haha. Eventually I was at my turn, and we waved at each other and went our separate ways. He was heading to his mechanic for some reason or another, to figure out why the bike wasn't going fast enough. Go figure. I got off work early that day too, I should've tracked down the mechanic to chat with the guy more. Pretty cool experience.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #177
khager
Studly Adventurer

My only problem is if you try to chat me up. I have a lot of hearing loss, and try to protect what little I have left with earplugs, between that and a full face helmet, I am only going to catch about every 3rd word if that. I just nod in agreement to what , I don't know and ride on.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #178
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
My only problem is if you try to chat me up. I have a lot of hearing loss, and try to protect what little I have left with earplugs, between that and a full face helmet, I am only going to catch about every 3rd word if that. I just nod in agreement to what , I don't know and ride on.
If I can't see lips, I don't always catch every word either (earplugs), and I'm fairly young, and have most of my hearing. (At lest I think I do!j)

If I'm talking to someone else in a full-face, who also wears earplugs, as long as things are said deliberately and clearly it usually isn't a big deal.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #179
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,803
Odd timing for this discussion...yesterday I had a guy on a cruiser pull up directly next to me and stop in my lane at a stop light. I looked over, we nodded at eachother and then I DUSTED his ass when the light changed.

First time that's ever happened to me before (by somebody I don't know) and I did think it was a little odd, but it sure didn't bother me enough to go off on the guy.

I don't care when people I know do it. I'll do it to people I know as well but to have a complete stranger do it smacks of assumption which bugs me a little bit. Oh well.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #180
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Odd timing for this discussion...yesterday I had a guy on a cruiser pull up directly next to me and stop in my lane at a stop light. I looked over, we nodded at eachother and then I DUSTED his ass when the light changed.

First time that's ever happened to me before (by somebody I don't know) and I did think it was a little odd, but it sure didn't bother me enough to go off on the guy.

I don't care when people I know do it. I'll do it to people I know as well but to have a complete stranger do it smacks of assumption which bugs me a little bit. Oh well.
I do it to people quite frequently. Never occurred to me that anyone would have a problem (putting their need to keep their place in front ahead of any sense of camaraderie I suppose ) I only do it if there's plenty of space. It's not like I'll squeeze by. Anywhere else in the world there would be three or four people all doing the same thing.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote