Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #181
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I do it to people quite frequently. Never occurred to me that anyone would have a problem (putting their need to keep their place in front ahead of any sense of camaraderie I suppose ) I only do it if there's plenty of space. It's not like I'll squeeze by. Anywhere else in the world there would be three or four people all doing the same thing.

it has nothing to do with wanting to be in front of the guy. Being a little weirded out by it has everything to do (for me) with the fact that I have no idea WTF this guy is going to do when the light changes and I want to get the hell out of there. As mentioned already I have no idea what his skill level is, why he is next to me, if he's going to wobble and crash into me, etc.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #182
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I was waiting at a red light on my Guzzi this week, sitting in the left part of the middle lane and I noticed a Honda Civic fender slowly edging up, right next to my right leg. I was about to shoot him the stink eye when he asked in a pronounced German accent "Is that a California Vintage Edition?" "Uhh... no it's a V1100 from 1997, almost the same bike mechanically" "Did you get it here in the states? It's the first I've seen." "I bought it used in L.A. 3 years ago, they aren't real common around here" "Yah... beautiful bike!" Green light, "Thanks man, have a great day!"
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #183
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Had a vehicle lane share with me recently.
Saturday afternoon 2 lane road with a center turn lane, modest traffic. 3 cars in front of me.
As usual I am in the left half of the lane. Next thing I know a Subaru pulls up along side me, in my lane
I can't figure out any point as there is vehicles in front of me and a red light.
I'm starting to get a little irritated.
Then I see the driver, a little old lady waves at me with a smile, then looks straight ahead again.

I'm still a little concerned as I don't know what she is going to do. There isn't room for both of us in the lane through the intersection. But once the light turned green she waited for me to proceed first then turned right onto the cross street.

I still have no clue what possessed her to pull along side me.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #184
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
If I'm first at a light with no turning lane, and I see a car behind me with their right blinker on and the intersection is big enough, I tend to move over to the left and wave them by. The drivers around here tend to do it without "asking" first anyhow, and I've had quite a few that made me recoil my foot to my bike. Once I saw someone speeding up behind me as usual, but no blinkers. Normally the people here won't touch their brakes until the very last second...apparently they think that the momentum will save them if the light turns green at just the right second (and sure, maybe it would, but uh...one should plan on actually slowing down in case it doesn't >,>) anyhow the moron was coming at me fast enough to make me start thinking of how I'd handle flying through the busy intersection, when he goes around in me in the oncoming lane, then swerves into the highway cutting off several people...just so he wouldn't have to wait for the light to turn -.-. Jackass.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #185
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,157
i don't have a problem with another bike pulling up beside me at a light...as long as they don't pull along side me and block me from turning if i am wanting to turn.

i would never pull along side some other motorcycle if i did not know the rider, though. it is his space...and he might not like people invading it. and, what if he wants to turn, but forgot to turn on his turn signal?

(if i see someone behind me wanting to turn and i can make room for them to squeeze by, i will do so and wave them past.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #186
StarFleet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Not a moto story but I was once riding my bicycle home. I typically have a backpack loaded with reflective decals, and a blinky light for visibility.

An old lady pulls up next to me, rolls down her window and yells "I couldn't see you, you shouldn't be on the road".

I yelled back "Your headlights are off." Which was true.

StarFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #187
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
My favourite one was commuting in the cage about 5 years back. Highway was flowing freely, 3 lanes, good surface, good visibility. Everyone driving relatively sensibly, nice big gaps between cars etc. Suddenly, a lorry up ahead on the inside lane shed its load of bricks. Everyone moved to the outside, even the vehicles that were doing 15-20mph under the limit. It was by and large a wonderful display of co-operation and good driving, people merged in turn and it really looked like the bricks weren't going to do any damage to anything. Then an idiot, in a Civic R-type, IIRC, came haring up the inside just under a ton. I was watching him and clocked the exact moment he realised why we were all in the outside lane. It was about 2 seconds before a brick smashed into his car, ruining the bonnet and front spoiler. The look on his face as it made a terrifyingly loud bang was priceless and I was nearly wetting myself laughing as this clown pulled over to inspect the damage.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #188
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
a wonderful display of co-operation and good driving, people merged in turn

lol, we don't get that here...

And I'm sure you'd get a "love it or leave it" or "well then move there" quip if a Merican brought up the possibility in a conversation...
Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #189
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
My only problem is if you try to chat me up. I have a lot of hearing loss, and try to protect what little I have left with earplugs, between that and a full face helmet, I am only going to catch about every 3rd word if that. I just nod in agreement to what , I don't know and ride on.
I have the same problem, and typically the same response. However I remember advice my grandfather learned in a class he took on strategies for dealing with hearing loss (he also took lessons on how to keep from farting in public - really, I think he'd go to anything at the senior center just to get away from my grandmother): NEVER say "yes" if you didn't hear the question!
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #190
Timbo813
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I was riding home from work a few weeks ago and I took a "shortcut" on a gravel road with trees lining both sides. As I rounded a curve I found a turkey standing on the left side of the road. It took off and tried to fly across the road about chest level. I eased off the gas to avoid hitting it and it veered left to avoid me. It ended up flying straight down the road with me riding about 10 feet behind and to the right. We proceeded that way for about 5 seconds until it landed and ran off into the woods. Kind of a cool experience. I was glad I wasn't going much faster. A turkey to the chest probably wouldn't feel to great.
Timbo813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #191
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,910
I prefer my turkeys to the gut. Smothered in gravy and topped with stuffing.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #192
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,246
Was riding home from work today when I passed a guy on a Harley ... hey! LOL ... I was on my Harley too so not bad jokes but I took notice of his back patch ... I took notice because it sure wasn't local ... said something like Killer Creek 'GA' ... anyone know this group? HOG I think ??

Anyway I gave a big wave and got a big wave back ... made me smile to see someone from there enjoying the roads here
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #193
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Harley owners group. Close ties with Harley. Usually each delership has their own group.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR

ggrjr screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 09:56 AM
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #194
Dragan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
cagers in different places

Having moved to Saskatchean last year from Alberta ( No, not by choice...I'm retired, my wife isn't and she got transferred) we haven't really had the time or the motivation to do a lot of road work. Having to ride in straight lines for 50km or more at a time is not the most fun I've ever had on a bike.
We did go for a day ride ( about 500km) last weekend, and I discovered an interesting "habit" that many Saskatchewan cagers have.
Let's say they're approaching the rear of a car going slower than they have their cruise set for. What to do, what to do???
the standard seems to be that you do NOT adjust your speed, up or down. The cruise is on, and it STAYS on. Instead, you pull out into the opposing lanes and proceed to pass...perhaps you're only going 2 km faster than the slowpoke, but you pass.
and you stay in the opposing lanes until you get by; doesn't matter if that means driving for 5 km against traffic...once you commit, you stand your ground.
Oncoming traffic, especially motorcycles....well, you just have to pull over onto the often gravel shoulder to get by...they're PASSING fer Gawd Sakes!
Four times in less than a hundred kms we had this happen. Waving ones arms, flashing headlights, honking horns...ZERO effect.
I've ridden for a lot of years, but the pucker factor of having to get onto a gravel shoulder at 110km on a Harley with my wife on the back hasn't diminished in any way.
Don't even get me STARTED on the octogenarian farmers coming into town for grocery shopping....
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #195
Mistress of the dual
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
I often have other riders pull up in front of me while I am waiting at lights. Sometimes I have split lanes and I’m sitting between 2 cars. They will squeeze between me and one of the cars and plant themselves just ahead of me at an angle where when the light turns green I will have to wait for them to go first. Sometimes I am first in line and have the whole lane to myself and they will have split lanes to get to me, sharing my lane but pulling ahead of me. These riders are also putting themselves a couple of feet into the intersection to get their position. They never look at me. The funny thing is that this only happens when I’m on my DRZ400; it has never happened when I’m on my F650GS.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote