Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #256
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I understand what you guys are saying, and agree...I don't usually ride like that when someone is behind me. I just thought "Oh, hey, another motorcycle, he'll pay attention." This was...months ago. I've since corrected that bit of behavior if there are people following me, though occasionally swerving out is necessary if I'm going to be going over a bump, incline, or sand in the turn. There's one turn that scares the crap out of me, because it's off of a major 2-lane road so I have to do it quick, but the road I'm going onto always has the entrance covered in sand....so I do everything I can to be straightened up as I go over it, which requires turning wide....the alternative is slowing down the 60 MPH traffic behind me and turning slowly onto the road.

I always figured that the swerving shouldn't matter...when I slow down, the response for the person behind me should be to slow down...not to illegally pass on the right. And yes, I'm well aware that idiots do stupid things, but the only way I've learned to turn really fast off of a busy road is to take it wide. At least on my bike. It may be different for those of you who ride things that aren't 30 years old.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #257
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
This one was pretty scary, not really for me but for the other commuters. I used to live north of Little Rock, Arkansas, and commuted about 35 miles one way. Usually traffic wasn't terribly bad, because I would leave early, but it would usually get pretty scary on the I-30 bridge over the Arkansas River in downtown. I would be riding down I-40 east and then have to merge on I-30 west. This was always scary because both I-40 east and west, six lanes of traffic, were forced into three lanes to cross the river. I would be entering in the far right lane, and I always wanted to get over to the far left, because I knew that the far right lane would literally stop with all the idiots trying to get off as soon as they hit the far side of the river and downtown Little Rock. The middle lane was dangerous as well, because sometimes it stopped too or at the very least was fulll of people rapidly switching lanes because of the stopped right lane. I always thought of that bridge as the "meat grinder".
So one day I was making this commute, just hit the bridge, and wanted to get to the far left ASAP. I can see the far right already shutting down, and all three lanes are jam packed. I got into the middle lane and saw my gap in the left lane, in front of an eighteen wheeler. The gap wasn't very big, maybe ten feet, but I'm on a bike, so in I went. This really pissed the trucker off. He immediately whipped into the middle lane and pulled up next to me. I could see he was screaming at me through his side window but couldn't hear a thing. At this point I was prepared to be forced onto the shoulder to my left and possibly brake to avoid him crushing me into the median barrier. He didn't come over on me, instead he elected to go to the far right lane, which was stopped maybe a half mile in front of him. He floors it. I'm still going the speed of traffic, slower than him, and just watching. He runs right up to where the cars are stopped, still going eighty or so, then abruptly swerves back to the far left lane without signaling. The freeway was still jam packed. The cars and mini-vans scattered like cock roaches. Brake lights and smoking tires and people swerving all over. Nobody was hit, I don't know how. He continues to blow down the left lane at eighty. Once we clear downtown, traffic thins out and we're heading opposite the morning rush, so he's really flying. There are still quite a few cars though. He gets south of downtown, sees that I-30 west splits off in the two right lanes, and proceeds to DO IT AGAIN! Far left to far right, no signal, scattering cars like quail, smoking cars tires and everything. All I could think was that he was obviously from out of town and he must have been on drugs, maybe some uppers. I'm glad that he didn't try to grind me onto the median barrier and that no one was hit, miraculously.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #258
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Did you piss in his wheaties or what?
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:14 AM   #259
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
STOP Looking at their eyes.

Whatch the wheels. Wheels NEVER lie.
F.W.I.W. You must not have guys with "spinners" on their cages out there. You know, those damn hubcaps that keep spinning after the vehicle has stoped. Let me tell you, the perceprion that the vehicle is still moving even when it's come to a complete stop is really unnerving
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #260
khager
Studly Adventurer

First time I seen one years ago, it just happened to be in the rain, sitting at a light, I thought he was spinning out. All I can say is try to look at the tires and not the wheels. Yeah not easy I know!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #261
johnnuke
Submariner

Oddometer: 197
Toll Booths

Yes, you need an E-Z pass to go through this lane.
No, you can't back up, my bike and 5 other cars are behind you.
Ok, now that you've paid, take the car out of Reverse, put in Drive and pull away...put it in Drive...HEY, PUT IT IN DRIVE...OH SHIT.......it's Stebel Time. I love that horn.

-Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell.-

-I already pay a health insurance tax. Every 6 months they charge me $130 for running shoes.-
johnnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #262
johnnuke
Submariner

Oddometer: 197
the Stebel strikes again...

Hey...Jackass...in the blue convertible...Yes, I'm sure my really loud horn interrupted your phone call, but it's not my fault you dropped the damn thing out the window...SO STOP YELLING AT ME!! Next time maybe you'll use your mirrors and a blinker before changing lanes.

-Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell.-

-I already pay a health insurance tax. Every 6 months they charge me $130 for running shoes.-
johnnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #263
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,437
Mirrors and a blinker

Didn't know new cars still had those.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #264
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnuke View Post
Hey...Jackass...in the blue convertible...Yes, I'm sure my really loud horn interrupted your phone call, but it's not my fault you dropped the damn thing out the window...SO STOP YELLING AT ME!! Next time maybe you'll use your mirrors and a blinker before changing lanes.
It really doesn't get any better than that.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #265
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I've actually had a few drivers honk BACK at me after honking. It's somewhat common, and it always pisses me off. Each time it's happened was when some idiot decided that they didn't want to come to a complete stop at a stop sign (so I'm unable to tell if they're going to run it or just keep creeping) or actually went through and ran the stop sign. I don't understand it. Just last night this happened with a "penis truck" aka, one of those big trucks men with self esteem issues drive. I guessed that he was trying to keep his ego inflated or something. Idiots.

As for the spinners....sometimes they haven't built up enough momentum for them to spin, so the car will be moving, but it'll look like the wheels aren't spinning. Some particular idiots will actually install them to do this on purpose, so they'll be going down the road at a high speed and it'll look like their wheels aren't turning at all. It looked cool the first time I saw it...when I was about eleven years old...but then I quickly realized how dangerous it was, considering how 90% of the morons who drive cars like that drive extremely aggressively, and even moreso when you consider how slow their cars are and how poorly they handle.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #266
Acosi151
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Rural Commute

Thursday night this week at the in-laws cottage in rural New Brunswick, Canada. Up and on the road at 5:15AM Friday morning to get to work a solid 1.5hour ride away.

About a half hour into the ride, in the deepest darkest black, out of the corner of my eye Mrs. Moose gallops in front of me from the left side 30 feet out. Going about 80km/hr (50mph), KLR 650, full rear lock up, hard on the front brakes, kicking down through gears sans-clutch, in a sideways skid.. got to within 10 feet of the back of the moose then let up on the rear brake, straightened out and pulled into the deserted oncoming lane. Rode beside the moose for another 5 strides then gassed it to get by. At the same time the moosed ducked back into the woods on the right.

AND I THOUGHT COFFEE WAS THE BEST WAY TO WAKE UP IN THE MORNING! Glad I was consciously going slower than daytime because of the lack of visibility.

There is no traffic where I live.. worst thing I've got to worry about is junk coming off logging trucks when I'm following them or mud in the road from tractors.

Acosi151 screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 07:28 PM
Acosi151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #267
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,840
I love "people"... The more it seems we go on, the more nothing's ever anyone's fault.

I was riding here, and came around the corner to a stopped Superduty in the on-coming lane, and a Honda Accord BACKING up in mine to talk to the SD driver...

I stoped well enough in time, despite the diminishing distance due to her backing up, and the driver of the SD is screaming at me "what's the speed limit?" and I should slow down...

Imagine that... I come around a blind turn, to a stopped 3/4 ton truck in one lane, and an Accord backing up, in mine.

How dare me!

This is the best POV I could come up with... I was... I had the audacity, to be coming towards the camera.

If you spin it around, that was my POV. Also, the camera is highly distorted here. It's way tighter and closer that it appears.

View Larger Map
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #268
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnuke View Post
I absolutely love this. Hope so much that it is true.

I really HAVE to get a few of these printed for the bikes and car:
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 AM   #269
khager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
I stoped well enough in time, despite the diminishing distance due to her backing up, and the driver of the SD is screaming at me "what's the speed limit?" and I should slow down...

Imagine that... I come around a blind turn, to a stopped 3/4 ton truck in one lane, and an Accord backing up, in mine.

How dare me!
"What's the speed limit"? I am afraid I wouldn't be able to hear them over my horn, they wouldn't be able to hear each other either!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #270
AccordionThief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
What do you do with clothes when you commute on a bike?

What do you do with clothes when you commute on a bike?

I want to use my bikie to go to work, while it's just 20 minutes in a city or 35 minute using a mass transit, I want to use the bike to ride around after work and don't want to go home back and fort.

But what should I do about clothes? I car remove the jacket, right. But I'm not sure what to do with pants. They're great for long rides and pretty comfy, but my skin would probably peel of if I had to wear them for eight hours sitting in front of a computer. But I'm not willing to ride without my gear.

So how do you guys do it? Kevlar jeans? Normal pants with protectors underneath? Extra clothes kept at work?