Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 AM   #271
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
I just wear my work clothes, either jeans or shorts and shirt under my riding pants and jacket. I keep a pair of shoes at work, and I have a place to store my gear at work. I also keep an extra pair of clothes at work in case of a sudden rain shower on the morning commute.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #272
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I bought a large duffle bag, and my gear goes in there. Wear my work clothes under my riding gear. Ususally wear a Olympia Stealth suit, or PPlympia jacket and pants. Keep my work shoes under my desk, and change out of my riding boots.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #273
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Same here: shoes kept in the locker at work where I store my gear, work clothes either under the gear or in a backpack.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #274
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordionThief View Post
What do you do with clothes when you commute on a bike?
i put my work clothes in my backpack. i leave a pair of shoes at the office. change when i get to the office.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #275
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordionThief View Post
What do you do with clothes when you commute on a bike?

I don't ride a long way, so I don't gear up accordingly...

I have a perforated leather jacket, set of cheap-o leather pants I put on over my work pants, a nice set of lace-less shoes and rode accordingly.

I'm still missing some pieces of my bike from the last offy, about 3-4 years ago and the hot pipe has killed 2 very nice set of rain/wind pants I had.

The leather was nonburnable if it hit the pipe, and enough for a short downpour I could get in.

I just rolled them up into a ball and stuffed them into by pack, my jacket, next to the others on a rack.

I'd rather sweat than bleed so don't ask me if I was ever hot... I was, TS.

Search CL or your local Goodwill or 2nd hand shops and get some used gear. I see over-pants all the time. But I can't get textile pants until I fix my bike or wrap the pipe with header tape.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #276
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I absolutely love this. Hope so much that it is true.

I really HAVE to get a few of these printed for the bikes and car:
They are printed and ready to go ($5 each at Cafepress.com)
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #277
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post

DAMN! 10" x 3" means I can't put one on my helmet... And the widest part of my bike is the handlebars... So that's out.

almost had a sale

This is gonna go on the GF's Malibu... The two would be too busy.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #278
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
DAMN! 10" x 3" means I can't put one on my helmet... And the widest part of my bike is the handlebars... So that's out.
Well - you could cut the panels apart. Just the "cel-in-ass" part might work. Or just stick them to some magnetic rubber sheeting and toss them onto the offenders vehicle , like this:

http://www.aerostich.com/yellow-cards.html

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #279
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
toss them onto the offenders vehicle

What are you, a mind reader? It was just this mourning, on the throne, I had an epiphany...

Bonzi-gorilla-Supermoto style cell phone removal service... Free, of course

I see you on your phone, with the window down... Thanks! Don't mind if I do... What'a you gonna do? Call the cops

Uh, sorry. But Shiniqua can't come to the phone right now...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #280
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:

Fixed!

Can you tell I'm a Droid user?
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #281
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Well - you could cut the panels apart. Just the "cel-in-ass" part might work. Or just stick them to some magnetic rubber sheeting and toss them onto the offenders vehicle , like this:

http://www.aerostich.com/yellow-cards.html

I wish I had one of these this morning.

On my commute there is a clover leaf interstate exchange that completely gridlocks right as I enter it. I always want to just stay to the outside and zip past all the cars, but I never do. This morning as I come to a complete stop the SUV behind me pulls right up next to me. I turn my head to the right and I'm looking directly at the driver side mirror.

This pisses me off mostly because it is illegal for me to split lanes. Drivers get pissed off if I split or filter. So if I can't share the lane with you, you can't share the lane with me!

I gave her the stink eye, but she wouldn't even turn her head and look at me. It would have been great to toss this yellow card on her hood.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #282
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
I wish I had one of these this morning.

On my commute there is a clover leaf interstate exchange that completely gridlocks right as I enter it. I always want to just stay to the outside and zip past all the cars, but I never do. This morning as I come to a complete stop the SUV behind me pulls right up next to me. I turn my head to the right and I'm looking directly at the driver side mirror.

This pisses me off mostly because it is illegal for me to split lanes. Drivers get pissed off if I split or filter. So if I can't share the lane with you, you can't share the lane with me!

I gave her the stink eye, but she wouldn't even turn her head and look at me. It would have been great to toss this yellow card on her hood.
Are you sure she wasn't there because she saw too late that traffic was backed up and did the common half-assed braking combined with veering, until she ended up right next to you (instead of "through you" without the veering part)?
I think she was too scared and embarrassed to look at you, having almost killed you.

---
- Sent from my iPhone
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #283
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Some lady in a subcompact was backing up slowly in the turn lane, without looking up. She was trying to get through 3 lanes of traffic stopped at a light. How about you go to the light less than 100 yards away from you, and use that to turn into all the interconnected parking lots?

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #284
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
Some lady in a subcompact was backing up slowly in the turn lane, without looking up. She was trying to get through 3 lanes of traffic stopped at a light. How about you go to the light less than 100 yards away from you, and use that to turn into all the interconnected parking lots?

Ppl are LOST when it comes to stuff like that.

Many a day I've had almost the whole lane beside my house blocked b/c I was moving a vehicle in or out.

And many a day I've seen ppl looking like they'd rather break their neck trying to get past me, rather than go one block up then turn in.

My other favorite is when ppl stop and leave a gap so that the ppl coming down the right turn lane can slam into the moron in the center turn lane making a left across 3 lanes that couldn't go down than turn around where it was safe, to come back up and make a simple, SAFE right into where they were going.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #285
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Let’s share some of our more entertaining commuter stories. Here, I’ll start it off with my ride home tonight.

On my commute home tonight a Black Mercedes changes into the left lane on the interstate where traffic was flowing along nicely and I am following a truck at a safe distance. He did signal (so in my mind no harm no foul I roll off the throttle to give myslf more following distance behind my new lead car) I doubt he looked or even saw me until his lane change was completed. All is right and OK and we are all flowing along nicely…Then he looks in his rear-view sees me and slows down. I have no idea why. ??? It is not as if my DR looks a cop bike.

I slow some more to keep a safe following distance as he pokes along beside a truck in the center lane as the Left lane traffic rolls off into the distance. Slowly... Ever so slowly Mercedes dude gets past the truck...When I clear a truck, I signal… Move to the middle lane… Pass said Mercedes dude then signal (both hand and turn signal as is my standard practice) and move back to the left lane when the Mercedes dude decides he doesn’t like that so he punches it and pulls up next to me to force me back into the middle lane. I think he was a little surprised that I did not play his game and held my line. He thought he could intimidate me but was unwilling to have my foot peg scratch up his pretty Black car. I was laughing so hard I almost teared up.

Quite silly actually but I did have an escape to the right if I needed it. Once he learned I did not wish to participate in his game (about a ¼ mile) he backed off to a safe following distance and I move to the center of the lane to discourage him from doing it again and I did one of these:

This seemed to anger Mercedes dude as he sped up again flashing his headlights. buy this time I am nearing my exit so I signaled and changed lanes to the right and slowed to match the slower speed of the traffic in the right lane when Mercedes dude zooms up beside me again thinking he is scaring me. If he had known how hard I was laughing behind my Full-faced helmet I think he would have exploded.

It was the most entertaining commute in the last year!!! Damn riding is fun.

OK, your turn. Any road rage, folly, humorous stories about your daily commute? Share away.

In 1995 I was hit head-on (in a car) by a drunk driver at 12:30pm on a Monday afternoon. The guy was so drunk he could not stand up.

In 2007 I was hit from the side in a construction zone by a Honda Accord who was more worried about hitting the traffic pylons than me. He clipped my rear bag, knocking the bike over and I did a SuperMan into a dynamite PLF at 40mph.

The bike had over $2,000 worth of damage. All my riding gear was trashed. I had a sprained ankle and a banged knee and needed a month of PT.

He could have killed you. Easily. Possibly without noticing and almost certainly without caring.

garandman is online now   Reply With Quote