Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #301
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
What would you have a driver do who doesn't know where to turn until he sees the sign, and traffic is already lined up for the turn?
miss the turn. keep going straight. find a place to turn around. come back. make the turn.

that's why i do when i'm in that situation anyway.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #302
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
Yes, sometimes, and sometimes that "someone" is me without the local knowledge that I need to get in the right lane in advance of the turn lane and in advance of the road sign telling that my turn is ahead. What
Immaterial since during rush hour, the commuters know precisely where they are going.
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #303
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Heading off post on the Ural, had a woman tailgating me. Now, no Ural jokes here, speed limit was 30 and I'm doing 35. I switched into the left lane to let her pass since she wouldn't pass me and as I'm moving over I notice she has a cigarette in her left hand and is yakking on her cell with her right hand, NO hands on the steering wheel. I move over and she guns it as she's passing me. I also notice that she has 2 TVs on in the back of her Denali, but no one back there. Traffic comes to a slow (there's usually a civilian police speed trap on this part of the road) and I notice traffic is starting to stop. We start moving again, but the right lane isn't moving.... I wonder "Was justice served and she was stopped?" Oh yes, she was stopped.

She rear-ended. . . An MRAP.

That Denali was about the size of a Smart Car! She didn't appear injured, but the guys from MI looked a little aggravated!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #304
J_White
should be working

Oddometer: 326
Awhile back I'm waiting at a red light, it's a pretty steep uphill grade to
the light. I'm third one back. First vehicle is a jacked up 4wd truck with
a drop hitch, trailer ball sticking out a foot... second car is a nice, newish
looking little BMW car. Well, light goes green, apparently the 4wd is stick
shift and the driver doesn't have a clue.
Stalls. Starts engine, revs, stalls. This goes on about 3-4 times until
they finally start, roll back at a good clip, burying the trailer hitch in the
grille of the Beemer - CRUNCH - then dump the clutch and peel out.

Well, truck then pulls over directly across the street into a service station
lot and stops. This is where it gets weird - the little Beemer lays into it,
takes off up the road trailing a stream of anti-freeze, down the road and
completely out of sight. Gone. WTH? Maybe they thought it wasn't hurt?
Daddy/Mommies car? In hindsight, I should have followed them to see
how far they drove it.
J_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #305
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
stolen?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #306
Jet Jaguar
King of the poseurs

Oddometer: 349
Probably the driver had no license and/or insurace.

It's not an adventure unless you need a tent, a passport, and a leather glove for your shooting hand.
'05 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Jet Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #307
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
I was heading to work this morning, feeling a bit grumpy because of the stuff I had waiting for me when I got there. I'm about 30 feet from three 6 or 7 year old boys waiting at a bus stop. 2 of the boys backs were towards me. The boy facing me pointed at me, the other 2 turned around and all 3 gave me thumbs up with big smiles on their faces just as I passed. I just managed to return the thumbs up as I went by. That really brought me out of my funk.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #308
RNYC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister deliberate View Post
So one day I was making this commute, just hit the bridge, and wanted to get to the far left ASAP. I can see the far right already shutting down, and all three lanes are jam packed. I got into the middle lane and saw my gap in the left lane, in front of an eighteen wheeler. The gap wasn't very big, maybe ten feet, but I'm on a bike, so in I went. This really pissed the trucker off. He immediately whipped into the middle lane and pulled up next to me.
Dude sounds like a jerk, but he was probably pissed b/c you jumped in so close. You know it takes them a while to stop and slow down, yes? And that's why they leave a gap? And then someone thinks 10 feet is plenty of room for them, then they get ran over, and it's the trucker's fault?

Yes. They get pissed.
RNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #309
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,322
Stupid to jump in front of a truck that is stopping.
Great to do if they are pulling away, since they are slow, but they can be slow to stop, and running some biker over might screw up their job chances....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNYC View Post
Dude sounds like a jerk, but he was probably pissed b/c you jumped in so close. You know it takes them a while to stop and slow down, yes? And that's why they leave a gap? And then someone thinks 10 feet is plenty of room for them, then they get ran over, and it's the trucker's fault?

Yes. They get pissed.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #310
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNYC View Post

Yes. They get pissed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Stupid to jump in front of a truck that is stopping.
Great to do if they are pulling away, since they are slow, but they can be slow to stop, and running some biker over might screw up their job chances....
He wasn't stopping. Don't give that psycho any credit for being rational. I weighed my options and decided I stood a better chance in front of him than in the other lanes. If the lane were to stop, which wasn't the usual case, I was prepared to bail into the breakdown lane to the left. If he had been rational he wouldn't have gone bowling for cars twice.
BTW, I drive a delivery truck for a living, so I know that big trucks have problems stopping quickly. Don't tell me that you guys don't jump in front of trucks. Seems to me that sometimes that is the only place that there's a gap.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #311
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
This happened a few days ago. It enraged me so much that I didn't want to type or talk about it because I knew it'd just get me more fed up. I'm proud that I was able to walk away from it without confronting the driver. It wasn't on my bike, and I'm glad it wasn't, but I see a few other stories on here from experiences in cages so I'm going to post it here as a means to vent. If you don't want to read all of the juicy details, the two paragraphs before the last should sum it up nicely.

It was raining pretty poorly and even beginning to hail, and I had to be at my first day of my Comp II class at 6:30 PM. I decided that I didn't want to deal with hail and putting my textbooks in a dry bag and everything, so I borrowed my mother's VW Bug, and off I went. Of course, not even a mile out from my neighborhood, it turned into a light to moderate rain that I could've easily ridden in. Oh well.

After negotiating the poor drivers on the way to the school (seriously, they ride CLOSER but still slower when it rains) I pull into the front parking lot, just to see that it's full...and that a lot of other cars also noticed it was full. I saw a minivan come around and get behind me, of course with no lights on. Over here, if it's raining, even if it's night time (which it was) nobody will turn their lights on. It's ridiculous.

Anyhow, pulled out of the front parking lot onto the road that goes in front of the school, and went up to the next road where TONS of accidents have happened due to moronic students turning left in front of oncoming traffic without looking. Also, it's set up oddly because it's off of a lake. There's even a sign that has to explain to drivers "LEFT TURN YIELD TO ONCOMING DRIVERS. ONCOMING DRIVERS DO NOT STOP." Well, I have to turn left on it. I put on my left blinker, and notice two oncoming drivers coming slowly. Meh, I'll wait. VW Bugs have piss poor traction, even when it's dry. At least this one does, so trying to do anything quickly would probably result in an accident. First oncoming driver passes, and I notice the second is turning right (which puts him in a lane to yield to left turners, so I can turn).

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THE WHOLE THING, START HERE :)I decide that I should make my left turn now, but before I begin to move I absentmindedly look in my mirrors and....the IDIOT in the minivan is coming at me at extremely high speed, and then swerves around me at the last second, continues down the oncoming lane, and then turns left onto the road, sliding around a bit during the whole process! Holy SHIT! If I didn't look in my mirrors, I would've turned in front of him! In addition, if I didn't look at the PERFECT time, I wouldn't have even seen him because he had NO LIGHTS on! He could have killed me, cage, bike, whatever, he was going WAY too fast for the conditions, not to mention the whole passing somebody who's turning deal. He would've rammed right into the passenger side. I layed on my horn, but they didn't even brake.

I was struck by immense anger, but continued on. The minivan went past the driver that had turned right into the yield lane, and that driver went onto the road before me. We were now on the road for the back parking lot to the school, which has about five different turn-ins. The car that was in front of me turned, but the minivan kept going. In a flash of rage I put on my high beams, and continued to follow the minivan. What do you know, he turned into my entrance at to parking lot. He turned down one row of cars, when finally I gained a bit of sense, and decided to try and let it go. I continued to the next row of cars, and turned around to park. They pulled through their row of cars into my row of cars, and parked two cars away from me. I was infuriated. I grabbed my books, slammed the car doors, and started at them with my face possibly looking like but then I gained another slight bit of sense. I stopped, and took a deep breath. I decided that if I didn't walk away before they got out of their minivan, I'd probably do something extremely regretful. So I walked away. I pride myself in doing that, because it was extremely difficult, and took every last ounce of my will to tell myself it just isn't worth it. I finally got over it just yesterday, which is why I'm posting it now. If I would've posted it sooner it would've only added to my anger.

The professor (who I've been friends with for a while now, he was my first professor ever) greeted me in the hallway as I made it to his building, and told me how delighted he was that I was taking a class with him again....then he asked me how I was doing. "Extremely angry." I told him the story, very loudly and aggressively. I was breathing heavily (probably from running up the stairs too) and redfaced. He smiles, and says "Confrontation is never a good thing. I'm glad you walked away from it. I think you handled it better than I would have at your age. Don't worry, you know that I always make the first day of my classes fun. We'll cheer you up." I was able to forget about it for the duration of class, but it still kept me angry for several days. I'm just glad that I didn't let my anger manifest in anything regretful.

Sorry for those of you who don't like reading long stories, but I really needed to get this off of my chest.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #312
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,322
I tend to let people know what I think of them after they do something nasty.
Never got into a fight about it, but could have I suppose.

If you don't call them out on it, they will tend to keep doing something.
Litter bugs I stop, pick up the trash, and throw it in their car, or in other situations just ask them what gives them the right to throw trash around.

I would have waited and told the driver they were going to kill someone if they keep driving like a fool.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #313
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Never got into a fight about it, but could have I suppose.

If you don't call them out on it, they will tend to keep doing something.
Litter bugs I stop, pick up the trash, and throw it in their car, or in other situations just ask them what gives them the right to throw trash around.

I would have waited and told the driver they were going to kill someone if they keep driving like a fool.
I wanted to...and I kept playing it in my head that that's all I'd do or say and then walk away. But I know how the people are around here...they're mostly self centered morons. I know that I would've said something very calmly but obviously upset, and they would've tried screaming at me to explain how they did nothing wrong, because maybe I was driving too slow for them or something stupid like that. I know that the second I would've heard that idiocy, I just would've seen red and lost it. I'm usually very slow to anger, but when it comes to something like driving or riding or anything when somebody risks my or someone elses life....I am very near my breaking point. The second a moron who obviously did something wrong argues with me, I'm done and just snap. And then I'd become the bad guy, and I'd be the only one possibly getting in trouble for road rage.

I know this because it's happened several times before. Hell, I've had some morons confront me for something stupid like not running a red light to turn left to get out of their way, because "OMG I COULD'VE REAR ENDED YOU YOU'RE LUCKY I STOPPED IN TIME YOU SHOULD'VE TURNED IT DOESN'T MATTER THE LIGHT WAS RED!" If I call the cops (this has also happened) they will just tell me some bullshit about how I should've pulled over sooner and how they were teaching me a "valuable lesson." Yeah, the lesson that the cops in this town are useless -.-.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #314
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,933
Quote:
Never got into a fight about it, but could have I suppose.//.
Haha, when I was young I got in many. That's one of the reasons I joined the Army - figured I might as well put all that hostility to a good cause.

When I was 24 or so I was driving through a school zone at the required 20mph. A pickup truck passed me and kept going. There was a traffic light a mile or so down the road so I caught up to him. He went straight across the light into a shopping mall. I followed him.

Parked next to his truck and when he got out I grabbed him by the shirt and said "WTF are you doing passing me in a school zone?" And shoved him into the bed of the truck.

Then, I reached into his truck, took his keys, and threw them into a vacant lot. Started to walk back to the car and he said "I'm gonna call the cops!" This was long before cell phones. I said "Go ahead, call the cops, and tell them that I pitched your keys because you passed me in a school zone." And left.

Not something I'd do today.
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #315
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
I am almost shocked that they are actually charging this guy.

http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona...icleid=1360507