Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #436
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
The lane doesn't end until it ends... No sense wasting it.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #437
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The lane doesn't end until it ends... No sense wasting it.

lol, you get your license in Nashville?

I was taught if your lane ended, YOU need to be the one getting out of it.

Here, they just merge and push over at the very end of the lane and look at you like you shoulda let them in.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #438
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Here, they just merge and push over at the very end of the lane and look at you like you shoulda let them in.

It's called a "merge" and it is in your drivers manual.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #439
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It's called a "merge" and it is in your drivers manual.

No, that's unsafe.

Merging would imply you signaled, and looked over your shoulder to avoid a collision with the car adjacent to you.

Staying your course until YOUR lane ended, no signal, no head check, and just jumping in the lane that has right-of-way, is not merging. At least in my book...

But then again, I had a MC cop tell me he doesn't give tickets for 11 over failing to signal, and texting while holding a steering wheel... "ppl will just say they're dialing a phone, and that's not illegal"

Me: I thought you had to signal every time you intended a change of direction?

Him; "You don't have to use a signal if it doesn't interfere with the flow of traffic"

Me, thinking: You're out of your fu$%ing mind!

...So I guess MY version of "driving" is the one that's jaded...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 09-29-2011 at 10:46 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #440
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
"use both lanes to merge point"

"merge here, take your turn"

they need to put those signs at more lane end points. people might start to figure it out.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #441
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

they need to put those signs at more lane end points. people might start to figure it out.
That makes too much sense...

Running down the right and cutting in, ppl don't realize that's what's causing the back up!

Ppl having to slow or stop to let them in, and the ripple effect!

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 09-30-2011 at 05:54 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #442
evilmedic13
Sarcastic & Fantastic

Oddometer: 938
After a long shift last weekend, I discovered that my FJR could go sideways through an intersection.
It was a nice warm, dry night and most of the morning. Right up to the hour before I was supposed to be relieved. That's when the drizzly rain finally started to fall. I got off shift late, due to a late call, an accident no less.

I had been up too long, just stopped smoking the day before, and was beat from the 24 hr beat down we had taken. Other than the 7am accident, everyone either lived above the 3rd floor, weighed over 300lbs, or wanted a fight. I knew I should go straight home, but the roads looked decent, it had been raining for over an hour at that point in time.

I took a little tour of the area, and realized the sleep monster was stalking me. My eyes start itching when my body has reached it's limits, and needs sleep. The brain usually follows an hour, or so later. So, I figured I'd put the hurry light on and just get home. As I came to one the "red light camera" intersections we have out here, the countdown went below 6. There was absolutely no traffic in front of me, so I hit the throttle. I was at a slow, or go point. So I went, like I usually do.

I guess my gear selection was a little too aggressive for the road conditions, which I underestimated as well. As I throttled up, the rear end started to get loose on me. Being someone that has never done that before, purposely, or accidentally, I just did what I've read from others adventures. I rode it out. I figured a chopped throttle would lead to a high side, whereas my present course of stupidity would only give me a low side. After we made it through the intersection, the bike started getting a bite into the road, and gently straightened up. That's when I took my cue, up shifted, and relaxed the throttle.
I realized what I did to cause it, and went "oh well" in my head. No adrenaline rush, elevated b/p, or pulse even.Just an "Oh well". I got home, literally, 5 minutes later. I just know I won't try to beat a clock again, if it's raining, anyway. Even though this long and drawn out, it happened so fast, it was over before I could really add to my screw up and do some real damage. Luck was with me for sure.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #443
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post

While I find that extremely annoying, only because it shows pure selfishness and lack of foresight and awareness on the part of the idiot driver, I still let them in. The road is not the place to be a vigilante dick and try to "teach" people lessons about their moronic behavior.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #444
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
While I find that extremely annoying, only because it shows pure selfishness and lack of foresight and awareness on the part of the idiot driver, I still let them in. The road is not the place to be a vigilante dick and try to "teach" people lessons about their moronic behavior.

I don't... B/c in those places, I'm already in the far left lane.

Off-highway, and yes. It only takes a sec, and in the long run is much better than the alternative.

Where I was referring to was on-highway... Where those that already have gotten in, really don't need to let those assholes in. It creates a ripple effect...
Old 09-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #445
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

No they won't.
You live in Pittsburgh and think that the average driver there is going to pay attention to a sign?

Lucky you can get them to pay attention to a jersey barrier in their lane

I've worked there enough to know that.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #446
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Volvo/Audi [and MB] wagon guy.
You know who you are.
$300 sunglasses.
Obama sticker on back.
Yakima bike rack on top.
Your shit doesn't stink.
You are a bad driver.//
You forgot that most of them have an "Inclement weather package" which includes a rear fog light. Because they are hellacool, they leave their fog lights on all the time, which is dazzling to following drivers on clear nights. But they have no clue it even exists.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #447
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
About 2.5 years ago, I was going to work one morning through one of the three busiest intersections in town (I was on a 4 lane road, and the intersection was a 6 lane road). As I am waiting at the red light I notice that the bike starts to stutter a little bit. No worries, although the bike is getting low on fuel I'll just flip the switch to the reserve. I do this, and proceed towards the intersection. Well, at about 20 mph and maybe 20 yards before the intersection, the bike dies completely, and I come to a stop in the middle of the intersection, as the light is turning red. I was pretty new to riding at the time, and did not want to be in that situation! I tried to start the bike one time, and one time only; it did not start. Freaking out because I know the drivers in this intersection at this time of day, I jumped off the bike, grabbed the clutch and RAN one hundred yards down the street to the closest store I could find where I could get off the road. All of that in front of several hundred people. When I get in the parking lot I start to inspect the bike to see what the heck is going on.

Turns out I turned the fuel switch to "off".
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #448
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #449
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

it happens... live, learn...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #450
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
No they won't.
You live in Pittsburgh and think that the average driver there is going to pay attention to a sign?

Lucky you can get them to pay attention to a jersey barrier in their lane

I've worked there enough to know that.
er, well, yeah, you're probably right...
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote