User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #796
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
They ARE out to get us...

Has anyone else noticed that some days it seems that you have more close calls than others? I nearly got taken out by a guy pulling a trailer across 5 lanes of traffic....saw him, slowed, eased around him; then some lady came flying out of a parking lot (the wrong way)....stopped to let her pass; then some guy cut through a gas station, I suppose to get ahead of me as I was turn right onto another street, came screeching out to get ahead of me, nearly clipped me...and so it went for 7 miles 'til I got to work. Sheesh.

Then again, Friday was an easy commute both ways....nice and peaceful.

Maybe it was the full moon....but, wasn't it over by then?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #797
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 994
Fridays are always the worst for me.

I had a guy cut over at the last second right in front of me, getting two wheels airborne, and then looking at me like "why were you in that lane in the first place?"

First time I've locked up the rear wheel on the Goldwing...
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #798
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that some days it seems that you have more close calls than others? I nearly got taken out by a guy pulling a trailer across 5 lanes of traffic....saw him, slowed, eased around him; then some lady came flying out of a parking lot (the wrong way)....stopped to let her pass; then some guy cut through a gas station, I suppose to get ahead of me as I was turn right onto another street, came screeching out to get ahead of me, nearly clipped me...and so it went for 7 miles 'til I got to work. Sheesh.

Then again, Friday was an easy commute both ways....nice and peaceful.

Maybe it was the full moon....but, wasn't it over by then?
I've been commuting daily for about 5yrs and I can count on one hand the number of close calls caused by other drivers. Plenty caused by me.

Anyhoo, I had a day a couple of weeks ago where I had two pucker moments 5 miles apart.

Lady merged into my lane while riding up a two lane on-ramp and I froze only managing to honk the horn. This lack of reaction on my part unsettled me. It was enough to avoid a collision but I should have not let myself fixate on the car in front of me who was refusing to accelerate.

It's raining and five miles later in the HOV lane I clip the painted HOV symbol in the middle of the lane and the handle bars almost tore themselves from my hands.

I usually avoid the marker in that particular location but it's actually really hard to see until the last moment due to the curve in the road and the fact the lane is narrow with no shoulder and stop and go traffic on the left.

I've clipped it before with and it only caused a slight shimmy to the bike. Not fun but not crap-your-pants either.

It was not a ride home I enjoyed.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #799
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
I've been commuting daily for about 5yrs and I can count on one hand the number of close calls caused by other drivers. Plenty caused by me.
I've only been riding for a month and a half, but I have yet to have anyone cut me off, pull out in front of me, or do anything that has made me have to take any action so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
It's raining and five miles later in the HOV lane I clip the painted HOV symbol in the middle of the lane and the handle bars almost tore themselves from my hands.
How can paint cause this? Is it like an object? Or just painted asphalt?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #800
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I've only been riding for a month and a half, but I have yet to have anyone cut me off, pull out in front of me, or do anything that has made me have to take any action so far.

How can paint cause this? Is it like an object? Or just painted asphalt?
The paint gets slick in the rain. You need to learn to spot it.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #801
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 662
It can also be very slick if its just been applied, They repainted those big white squares at crosswalks at an intersection near my home about a year ago (not 100% sure exactly when) and they are still slippery.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #802
shaddix
Banned

b
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister deliberate View Post
The paint gets slick in the rain. You need to learn to spot it.
So you're saying his front wheel washed out? That has to be some pretty intense street riding for that to happen don't you think?

Maybe I just ride really slow compared to you guys ??
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #803
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
b

So you're saying his front wheel washed out? That has to be some pretty intense street riding for that to happen don't you think?

It also depends on the bike, some bike are inherently more squirrelly than others.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #804
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
b

Not necessarily intense riding, just have to be leaned over a little. You might not even have be moving that fast. From the guy's post, it sounds like he was moving fast and turning.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #805
shaddix
Banned

hooooooooleeeee crap. I had no idea those things could be that slick.... I will avoid at all costs from now on X_X...
Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #806
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
Shaddix,

I've been riding for about a year. If you haven't had anyone think about pulling out in front of you, it just hasn't happened yet This is a good video with some really good information

While you're at it, you might want to download and read the handbook from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation - It's free and well worth the time - Click here

Finding and taking the Basic Rider Course would also be a good idea - the best one if you can do it
Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #807
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister deliberate View Post
Not necessarily intense riding, just have to be leaned over a little. You might not even have be moving that fast. From the guy's post, it sounds like he was moving fast and turning.
I don't remember but was probably somewhere in the 50's and I was leaning just a bit. The highway is curving to the left, two lanes of traffic on the left and an HOV lane on the right. When it rains, the left two lanes are packed with cars, bumper to bumper, stop and go. The right side of the road is essentially a guard rail, no shoulder. The painted HOV marking in question lies in a slight depression in the road which together with the aforementioned factors, makes it harder to see than most.

I try to ride to the right of the HOV symbol. Riding to the left risks contact with truck/SUV mirrors.

I know it's there and try to anticipate it but avoiding it is a bit like threading a needle, definitely more technical than the others I encounter. Like I said, I've clipped it a few times in the rain and knew it was to be avoided. This time I thought I was going to miss it or barely miss it so I was quite shocked by the outcome. Won't be doing that again.

There's also a big fat HOV marking on the on-ramp from first incident I mentioned. Opposite layout, HOV lane is left most and curving to the right but I can see it well in advance and easily apex just behind it with no drama. Interestingly, one rainy day I followed a guy riding a GSX-R 1000 and watched him ride right through this marking while maintaining a very respectable lean with not even a hint of slippage. I tried to catch up to him but he pointed the needle north of 80 and disappeared into the mist.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #808
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
All in my commute home

On my 17 mile commute home from work I had one guy honk the horn at me because he was trying to merge from the left lane, I was in the right lane. And he wanted to get to the the exit lane to the right of me. Why he honked at me like it was my fault I have no idea. You either slow down and go behind me or speed up. It's not that hard. I then stopped at the ATM and has I pulled out a guy on a bicycle on the sidewalk try to cross and fell in the front of the car in front of me. I'm thinking "okay, just pick up your bike and go" but it was another 15 seconds and he hadn't moved (this is 5 in the afternoon). So I got off my bike and asked if he was okay, he was in the process of picking it up and told me he was fine. When I walked back, the women in car in front of me asked if the guy I was drunk. I really thought he was. So I told her to call 911. Which she was doing when I left. Got back on the highway and thought that was enough excitement for the day. But no, I took the exit and the car in front just stopped on the exit lane. Just stopped. There is no stop sign, no yield sign. I'm just behind asking WTH are you doing? There is no reason to stop there. So, that was more of my funner rides home.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #809
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Had a Harley owner (dressed like an outlaw) lane split between me and a car Friday morning on the way to work. I knew he was behind me, but didnt' realize his speed. Lane splitting isn't legal here, so I was a bit surprised when I heard his pipes on acceleration and he went down the left side of my lane (the slow lane) between me and traffic in the left lane. He pretty much blew by me and the adjacent car and made an immediate lane change in front of the car as he zigged and zagged down the highway. I guess he was late for his road captain meeting or something. I haven't had that happen, being passed in my own lane. It made me laugh though.
You shoulda got on his back wheel and drafted through traffic. Quite exhilarating.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #810
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
This one sticks to memory, as I'd just got my first set of saddlebags and felt kinda liberated by all the crap I could carry.

I'm just doing my thing in my home county, lots of twisties, almost home when I come up on a truck with tags from my college town. I can tell they don't know the road very well, but they're not in granny gear, so I just stay behind. It's not like I had anywhere to pass anyway.

Anyhow I've kept about 3 seconds behind for 5 miles or so when the passenger throws a can out. Didn't hit me, but I got misted with whatever the hell it was. I see the passenger turn around and the driver checking mirrors. Honestly, I'm not sure if it was a mistake or malice, but it was a bit annoying. I had a near-empty soda in my saddle bag, and we're about to hit one of the few straights in the county. I got it out and opened it up, then took my pass on the stretch and gave it a chuck right onto their windshield. I think it was a fair game, as they didn't really try to run me down or anything.