ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #826
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: El Paso?
Oddometer: 167
commuting

My friend and I were going into New Haven Conn. It was rush hour so we were using the motorcycle lane on the right side.A man who was mad at the slow rush hour traffic kept moving over to block us. He got too far over and another car moved up and blocked him outside. we moved over a couple of lanes and went on. leaving him outside.slightly more frustrated
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #827
Elam
Noobus Maximus
 
Elam's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Motown
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Thank you for sharing.

It is for this reason that I have taken to adding HAND SIGNALS too.

Do you need better mirrors?
You really think most cagers know what you're doing when you do a hand signal? The YMCA? I mean, they may focus on you more, but you've also reduced your reaction time with one less arm.
Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #828
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Do you need better mirrors?
I do

The ex500 has notoriously bad mirrors. Well, not that there is anything wrong with the mirrors, just that they are too short. When I check the mirrors I see about 2/3 my arm, then a little bit of the scene behind me. Adjusting the view out doesn't help because then you can not see behind you, only beside you. Good in a car, but not on a bike. The Ninja 650r mirrors have the same bolt pattern as my bike, so I guess I could look for a set of those
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #829
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elam View Post
You really think most cagers know what you're doing when you do a hand signal? The YMCA? I mean, they may focus on you more, but you've also reduced your reaction time with one less arm.
Left arm for signaling. The right is left to twist the throttle. How is my reaction time slowed?
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #830
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I do

The ex500 has notoriously bad mirrors. Well, not that there is anything wrong with the mirrors, just that they are too short. When I check the mirrors I see about 2/3 my arm, then a little bit of the scene behind me. Adjusting the view out doesn't help because then you can not see behind you, only beside you. Good in a car, but not on a bike. The Ninja 650r mirrors have the same bolt pattern as my bike, so I guess I could look for a set of those
Here you go. http://www.speedmotoco.com/category-s/50.htm

I bought these: http://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/ap-106.htm
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #831
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]
 
SnowMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: I LIVE IN A GIANT BUCKET
Oddometer: 18,336
WTF is that on the guy's hood in the turn lane...


Oh you've got to be kidding me...
__________________
Spewer of the poignant non sequitur
SnowMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #832
ParrotheadJeff
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
WTF is that on the guy's hood in the turn lane...


Oh you've got to be kidding me...
Must be a Jimmy Buffett fan lamenting the fact that they're 200 years too late
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #833
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy
 
nhbubba's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southern NH
Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
I decided to see what the big fuss was.

Imagine his surprise about a mile later when he realizes there is a dude on a big old goldwing, in the middle lane, leaning a little over and looking at his phone.
I've done this. Hasn't worked out to be anything interesting yet. One of these days I hope to see pix of boobies.
__________________
2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650A
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #834
Tip Over
Whoopsie!
 
Tip Over's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
I've done this. Hasn't worked out to be anything interesting yet. One of these days I hope to see pix of boobies.
It was all duckfaces.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #835
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy
 
nhbubba's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southern NH
Oddometer: 435
Sadly I have money that most of it is work related.

Can you imagine? Clipping a guy and sending him to the ER or worse over some work related BS?!

More people need to ride; get their priorities straight.
__________________
2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650A
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #836
ultrachrome
Poser
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madrona, Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Thank you for sharing.

It is for this reason that I have taken to adding HAND SIGNALS too.

Do you need better mirrors?
Neither would hurt but I was focused on the right lane and squidly was coming from the left. He was likely blocked by my shoulder when I looked through the mirror with my head positioned to spot a car in the right lane.

I've not seriously considered other mirrors because I'm a hippo hands user when there's even a hint of precipitation in the forecast. This rules out bar end mirrors and stem mounted mirrors would need to be similarly shaped to work.

In the meantime I'm going to turn my head more, rely less on the mirrors, and be more defensive around other riders.

Also been thinking about a GoPro for post commute analysis.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #837
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
So yesterday, as I'm riding to school on I-4, in the right lane, I see the guy in front of me is driving a bit... distracted. So, I roll on the throttle, look, signal, and change lanes. Right about the time that I get next to him, I see through his open window that he is browsing Facebook on a rather large smartphone. ...
If I see something like this I'll often give a short blast on the air-horns as I pass - Just out of courtesy to let them know I'm there of course . Texting while driving is now illegal in Louisiana but I still see plenty of people doing it.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #838
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy
 
nhbubba's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southern NH
Oddometer: 435
Texting while driving is illegal in Mass too. Hasn't slowed anyone down, from where I sit.

I don't have a clue how they intend to enforce that either. "I wasn't texting, I was cuing up some tunes man!"
__________________
2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650A
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #839
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer
 
WoodButcher's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,045
Had to run down to our data center yesterday. Got on the toll road for the ride back to the office. 3 lanes wide at that point. 4 cars running together in tight formation, 2 in the middle lane and 2 in the right. Nobody else near for a mile in front or behind. And they the on ramp was short. So I had to merge into this mini pack. Okay, I had two better options. Pin in and pass in the short merge section or brake heavily and drop in behind. Both would have been better, but the cars let me join their little cluster just fine.

I worked my way through to the fast lane and speed up to get a safe gap...only to find that my new little flock speed up to stay with me. And so it went until we finally caught some other cars. I'd speed up and so would they, I'd slow down and so would they. I felt like a mother goose leading my goslings.

So, just one of those strange things about cages and the herd mentality.
__________________
Rusty

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #840
ADW
'tard bike restos
 
ADW's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: MI
Oddometer: 529
Convex stick-on mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
Neither would hurt but I was focused on the right lane and squidly was coming from the left. He was likely blocked by my shoulder when I looked through the mirror with my head positioned to spot a car in the right lane.

I've not seriously considered other mirrors because I'm a hippo hands user when there's even a hint of precipitation in the forecast. This rules out bar end mirrors and stem mounted mirrors would need to be similarly shaped to work.

In the meantime I'm going to turn my head more, rely less on the mirrors, and be more defensive around other riders.

Also been thinking about a GoPro for post commute analysis.
Goto any auto parts store like Advance Auto or Pep Boys and buy a couple of the small round convex stick-on mirrors they sell. About $2.50 each, and they're about 1-1/4" diameter. Foam sticky tape on the back, stick 'em to your regular mirrors. They really make a HUGE difference in what you can see.
__________________
08 KLR, 06 KLR w/Sputnik sidecar, 72 CB350F
ADW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014