Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #1111
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
This is usually it - it isn't people out to go faster, but instead clueless drivers tail-gating because they're using the vehicles in front and beside them as reference points to maintain speed while they text or talk.

I used to only have four classifications way back when:
Slow & Safe
Slow & Dangerous (these usually cause other people to wreck while they continue on unhit and oblivious - the most dangerous, IMHO, due to them being the most common and their ability to hurt others. Quite honestly back in the 1990's this category probably included at least 80% of those who thought that buying a new Buick was a good idea. One learned to give late-model-Buick drivers a wide margin for safety's sake. Note that used-Buick drivers didn't usually fall into this category.)
Fast & Safe (I've been in cars driven by older Italians and Germans who would fall into this category)
Fast & Dangerous (more often take themselves out, sometimes while taking out others - typically teen drivers and idiots, still not as bad as the Slow & Dangerous IMHO)

but over the last seven years or so I've had to add a fifth category:
Basers - these drivers really only came around in big numbers as of late, and they 'base' their speed and positions off of the vehicles next to them (as much as vehicles in front of them, and far more than any normal involved driver would do). These drivers will slow down to the same speeds of those to their sides even if they're in an HOV lane that is completely clear. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with people who just aren't paying attention to the roads anymore, or whose brains just can't compute what they're seeing while they're focused on some other task (talking, playing with the radio, watching videos, etc.). I'm not writing of those who safely lower their speeds a bit for safety's sake when traffic beside them slows (never know who is going to jump out or emergency-brake into your open lane), I'm talking about people who just seemingly 'base' their speed, no matter the situation, on the people beside them and, to some degree, as James Adams just wrote of those who take forever to be aware that the person ahead of them is slowing down way too much.

I was really made aware of the numbers of 'Basers' after developing a tactic I had to create just to change lanes on a multiple lane highway with my pickup truck. Once a baser driving beside me is identified, there is usually no real hope of getting in front or behind them while in traffic on a multiple-lane highway unless I ever-so-slowly back off the throttle a bit, setting a slightly more relaxd & seemingly happy pace maybe three or six MPH slower than we were going, then gassing it for the pass while they are hopefully still adjusting speed downward. I swear it never used to be this way except maybe that one time every five years or so you'd get someone who intentionally and psychotically interferes and hinders you passing... like those who block your pass by speeding up on a broken-yellow two-lane highway after they were going slow enough to warrant passing in the first place. Besides being dickheads, there was no real need to classify them as a driver-class as they just weren't seen all that often... but 'Basers'? Everywhere now. They're not malicious, they just aren't interested in driving.

---------

As an aside, I know they first four categories can apply to motorcyclists as well, but after all the droning super-slab moto-commuting I've done over the last year and a half (over 20k miles of super-slab, alone), I'm almost tempted to say I've seen some motorcyclists fall into the 'Baser' category, but I'm still not sure, and am not sure it's even possible.
Motorcycles as basers. I've seen it! I was riding up a local freeway in town (Hwy 100 by Excelsior in Mpls) and was in the left lane passing a bunch of cars in the middle lane to my right. Harley was sitting with the group of cars and wasn't attempting to pass, just crusing along in heavy traffic. I'm a few lengths back and he moves into my lane and doesn't get on the throttle to pass, he just cruises along with the car to his right. Didn't even bother to speed up or drop back, just sat with the car. I switched lanes and throttled pas him. I don't get it...I've also noticed alot of the Harleys here like to cruise in the left lane, right in the middle of the lane WITH the traffic. They don't bother to speed up and gtfo of the cars. I'm not sure why, but maybe they're so conditioned to driving cars that way that they don't even think twice...
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #1112
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I have done this with the selfish intent of using THEM as MY rabbit but they almost always slow right down, sometimes to well below the speed limit, presumably waiting for me to pass them again. If I stay at least a few hundred feet back, they will usually eventually settle to their own pace until another opportunity to latch on to someone presents itself. I'm sure some of those people are on here or other forums moaning about the awful drivers who do this to them
fIf I use someone as a rabbit, I hang back a half mile or so so any cops can get out before they see me...
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #1113
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
L.M.A.O.! when Guy fucks himself!

On my home from work last night, I'm traveling down a 2 lane highway with heavy traffic in the right lane (due to road construction up ahead where the left lane is closed) that everyone else has merged into.
I'm taking advantage of my bikes maneuverability and staying in the left lane (passing traffic that's standing still, safely and slowly) as long as possible.
...apparently some A-Hole in a large box truck didn't like my doing this and decided to merge into the left lane to impede my forward progress. What he didn't know, is that I was almost @ my exit so, I used the hole that he moved out of, to cross over into the right lane and travel about 75 ft to take the off-ramp that takes me to the same road but, in a different direction, where I then did a quick U-turn onto/over the bridge that crosses over the traffic I'd just avoided.
Needless to say, I took the time wait on that bridge where I watched ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, allow that box truck to merge back into the right hand lane...and I made damn sure to give the asshole a friendly salute as I stared down at him L.M.A.O.! ( I made sure to get his attention from above while wearing my helmet so he knew it was me...and he looked PISSED OFF!)
I absolutely LOVE when someone who is trying to fuck me (and fails) fucks themselves by being an asshole.
Maybe the experience will teach him to not piss on the road to mark his territory.

I think what pissed the assclown off more than anything, was that since I took the time to salute him from the bridge above him, (and watch how bad he fucked himself) I obviously wasn't in any hurry so he knew what he did, didn't bother me at all.
Better yet, his maneuver actually made it easier for me to get where I wanted to go.(by not having to wait with the traffic on the off ramp that sends you in the proper direction onto the road I wanted to get onto)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #1114
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Motorcycles as basers. I've seen it! I was riding up a local freeway in town (Hwy 100 by Excelsior in Mpls) and was in the left lane passing a bunch of cars in the middle lane to my right. Harley was sitting with the group of cars and wasn't attempting to pass, just crusing along in heavy traffic. I'm a few lengths back and he moves into my lane and doesn't get on the throttle to pass, he just cruises along with the car to his right. Didn't even bother to speed up or drop back, just sat with the car. I switched lanes and throttled pas him. I don't get it...I've also noticed alot of the Harleys here like to cruise in the left lane, right in the middle of the lane WITH the traffic. They don't bother to speed up and gtfo of the cars. I'm not sure why, but maybe they're so conditioned to driving cars that way that they don't even think twice...

It's funny, but one single Beginner MSF course for each Harley rider would probably go a long way to reducing that, but one way or another - intentionally staying beside and near cages on the highways is a lack of intelligence. Now I see the "Loud pipes save lives" argument in a whole new light if their goal is to sit in cages' blind spots (forever)!
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #1115
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 658
Bump

Well I haven't seen this thread in awhile so I thought I'd give it a bump.

A few of months ago I stopped at a gas station near home to pick up a pack of smokes. In the line in front of me is a mom with two kids a boy 8-10 and a girl 5-6 (just guessing) both in costume. The boy was a vampire and if I remember right the girl was a princess or some such thing. Now remember this is June or July, right in the middle of summer The cashier asks the mom why they are in costumes, going to birthday party or what? The mom says no "just because". Right then the boy turns around and sees me in full gear minus helmet, and asks "What are you supposed to be?" Of course there I am without a clever response, so I just said a motorcyclist. Thinking back I should have told the kid I was a vampire hunter.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #1116
Mistress of the dual
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
Yesterday I was heading home up a mile long hill with 2 lanes in each direction that ends at a T with a signal light. I'm almost to the top, cruising 2-3 seconds back from a group of 4 cars in the left hand lane, preparing for my left hand turn. Me and the other cars are all doing about 5 miles over the 60 mph speed limit. A pick up truck slowly catches up behind me, matches my speed for a couple of seconds then swerves into the right hand land, floors it and cuts back into the left hand lane in front of me. I take note of the pick up as it goes by; white Ford F250, mirrors extended as if towing a trailer, 3 foot high letters down the side spelling out Harley Davidson. I guess he showed me how much cooler he was than me on my DRZ400 cause he had a truck that said Harley Davidson on it. I laughed in my helmet as I split lanes up to the front when we hit the red light.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #1117
VozProto
Type A ADD w/ OCD

Oddometer: 181
The other day I rode by a guy on his full dress Harley.
In the back of his bike was a cobbled together chicken wire cage and his ~70 lb brindle mutt of a dog.

That was just about the oddest thing I had ever seen.
Wish I had taken a picture.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #1118
RI2CA
Deer John

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress of the dual View Post
Yesterday I was heading home up a mile long hill with 2 lanes in each direction that ends at a T with a signal light. I'm almost to the top, cruising 2-3 seconds back from a group of 4 cars in the left hand lane, preparing for my left hand turn. Me and the other cars are all doing about 5 miles over the 60 mph speed limit. A pick up truck slowly catches up behind me, matches my speed for a couple of seconds then swerves into the right hand land, floors it and cuts back into the left hand lane in front of me. I take note of the pick up as it goes by; white Ford F250, mirrors extended as if towing a trailer, 3 foot high letters down the side spelling out Harley Davidson. I guess he showed me how much cooler he was than me on my DRZ400 cause he had a truck that said Harley Davidson on it. I laughed in my helmet as I split lanes up to the front when we hit the red light.
Sounds like the jerks I see daily on Scripps Poway Parkway.
RI2CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #1119
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI2CA View Post
Sounds like the jerks I see daily on Scripps Poway Parkway.
They must live around here too. Seems that trucks (and cars) with Hardley stickers on em are some serious drivers.

M
Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #1120
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairBear View Post
On my ride home I always smell cookies...but then I ride past a cookie factory...so I guess it's not that strange really

Mmmmmm.

COOKIES!!!!!

ME LIKE COOKIES!!!!

Its when you start smelling toast that you gotta worry...

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #1121
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
They must live around here too. Seems that trucks (and cars) with Hardley stickers on em are some serious drivers.

M
They are just mad because they don't own motorcycles
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #1122
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Its when you start smelling toast that you gotta worry...
For those of us with water-cooled bikes, it's equally bad to smell maple syrup. Tabarnac!
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #1123
HairBear
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
For those of us with water-cooled bikes, it's equally bad to smell maple syrup. Tabarnac!
Oh, I get it now. I was tryin to think of movie lines with toast in it
Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #1124
chrise2469
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairBear View Post
Oh, I get it now. I was tryin to think of movie lines with toast in it
Slightly offtopic but it's likely a reference to this heritage minute.

It's a Canadian thing.
chrise2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #1125
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
A couple months back I was stopped at a red light. Two young mothers, with their kids in tow, were crossing the street in front if me. One of the kids was a girl who looked to be about three. As soon as she saw me she kept her eyes on me the whole time she crossed the street, and even as they turned left and walked down the sidewalk she had he head twisted around looking at me.

Passed an Amish family in a buggy once, and one of the kids in back gave me the wheelie sign. I didnt want to be an ass and scare the horse, so I didnt do it.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote