ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #1201
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDoktor View Post
FYI, it was a concrete truck, not a "cement" truck if it was hauling a rotating tapered cylinder on it's back. A "cement" truck would be an 18-wheeler hauling a trailer that carries and dispenses Portland Cement, usually a fine, grey powder, that is mixed with stone aggregate, sand and water to make concrete. Neither vehicle should be ignored while on the road, unless one is attempting a Darwin Award. Both carry very heavy loads and have long braking distances. Neither can manuver quickly, and concrete mixers have a high, constantly shifting center-of-gravity which makes them prone to rolling over.

Sorry for the rant. It's just one of those incorrect word usage things that happens to irritate me. Newscasters (newsreaders?) are the worst for this. Another one that makes me crazy is when someone reports that a vehicle "lost control" and had an accident. Where did the "control " go? As it resulted in an accident, one can assume that a lost "control" is dangerous. Have the police found it? Are they looking for it? How would a non-professional recognize a lost "control"? Should you report it to 911? If you loose the "control" on your vehicle, does it need to be replaced? Where is it located? Is it covered by warranty? Can you get a good replacement from a used parts emporium or does a replacement have to be new? OEM or aftermarket? What does it look like? Does it have a part number?

There. I feel better already.
Pedantic much?



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #1202
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDoktor View Post
FYI, it was a concrete truck, not a "cement" truck if it was hauling a rotating tapered cylinder on it's back. A "cement" truck would be an 18-wheeler hauling a trailer that carries and dispenses Portland Cement, usually a fine, grey powder, that is mixed with stone aggregate, sand and water to make concrete. Neither vehicle should be ignored while on the road, unless one is attempting a Darwin Award. Both carry very heavy loads and have long braking distances. Neither can manuver quickly, and concrete mixers have a high, constantly shifting center-of-gravity which makes them prone to rolling over.
Let me simplify it for you. It was a BIG-ASS TRUCK.
__________________
"Would you care for some left-over bacon?"...said no man, ever.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #1203
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Honolulu
Oddometer: 1,341
Was Uncle Jed wrong when he would mention the "Cee-ment pond" ?

I think not.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #1204
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
Was Uncle Jed wrong when he would mention the "Cee-ment pond" ?

I think not.
You don't question "The Jed"...
__________________
"Would you care for some left-over bacon?"...said no man, ever.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #1205
bvardi
Probably not Deciduous
 
bvardi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
One morning a couple years ago I'm riding to work, and come around a corner to find a state trooper as the tail escort vehicle for a home being moved. Not a trailer mind you... but a 1.5 story, 3 BR Cape Cod style home being towed down the road taking up both lanes.

They had two troopers in cruisers leading, directing opposing traffic to the shoulder as the domicile made it's way at about 15 mph. I followed them for 5 or 6 miles rather enjoying the spectacle of it all.

Made for a good excuse as to why I was late for my meeting!

Gives new meaning to the term Mobile Home.
There was one occasion, while taking the sidecar bike out west from Toronto, that I was driving with my wife along a prairie highway. We were on a very long stretch of uninterrupted two lane highway, very deep ditch on either side, when I see something on the horizon. It's not a bird, it's not a plane... it's a freaking house doing about 90kph on the back of a huge truck. I pull over to one side, and this thing zooms by (not slowing down at all) with a few feet to spare... slightly nerve wracking, but ok.

And it was about then I see the SECOND house... the bigger house... coming down a ways behind it.

It isn't slowing down, nowhere to pull over - it's taking up more room than the other one on a relatively narrow road.

All I can do is lean way over to one side, the edge of the house coming within 2 feet of my head.... and thinking "The insurance company will NEVER believe a house ran into ME..."

Mind you I did have karmic revenge. I'm pretty sure I saw dry rot on the bottom of the floorboards.
__________________
------------------
Member, Canadian Sidecar Owners Club (CSOC)
Member, CURD (Canadian Ural Dnepr Riders)
bvardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #1206
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,697
"Hello, Progressive?" "I'd like to make a claim."

"I was hit by a house out on Route 7."

"No, not a bus, a house"

"Yes, that's right a house... What? No, I did not run into the house... I was pulled over and stopped so it could make it's way by and it hit me... A large White one with Green shutters"

"Hello? HELLO?"

__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #1207
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,516
I had my own encounter with the "moving building"....

Small town after dark somewhere in the American prairies. As I got to town they were moving a rather large building. Only one cop directing and no spotters.

I was right behind at a safe distance and speed down to a crawl rather enjoying the show....it was a safe distance that is until they turned left and the right rear corner of the building hit one of them very tall aluminium light poles.

That sent the pole shaking and the light exploded.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #1208
Islesfan91
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 81
one of the most irritating so far has to be last summer, riding along the highway in the right lane and a pick up truck rolls up on my left side, gets about 8-10ft in front of me. I see the passenger suddenly stick a fat boy size travel mug of coffee out the window and dump it in front of me. Swerved to miss it at the same time the truck takes off well above the speed limit. At this point I'm seeing red and I switch to the left lane and gun it after the truck. No idea what I'm going to do but I'm so pissed off I'm not thinking straight.

After the truck and I pass a long line of cars the right lane is finally open and I quickly switch lanes and pull up alongside the passenger. I look at him, he looks at me with a big shiteating grin on his face. Very slowly and deliberately, I point at him, then finger him. The grin leaves his face and he's looking at me with a confused look. At that point I realize it wasn't deliberate, he just never bothered to look before dumping his full mug of coffee out the window directly in front of me. I hate people.
Islesfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #1209
bvardi
Probably not Deciduous
 
bvardi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
"Hello, Progressive?" "I'd like to make a claim."

"I was hit by a house out on Route 7."

"No, not a bus, a house"

"Yes, that's right a house... What? No, I did not run into the house... I was pulled over and stopped so it could make it's way by and it hit me... A large White one with Green shutters"

"Hello? HELLO?"


I imagine the hard part would be when they ask for the number of the house that hit you.... do you give the plate number? Street address? Original street address or new street address... I mean, who knows?
__________________
------------------
Member, Canadian Sidecar Owners Club (CSOC)
Member, CURD (Canadian Ural Dnepr Riders)
bvardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #1210
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gonzoso's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Pocono Mt.s PA
Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post
one of the most irritating so far has to be last summer, riding along the highway in the right lane and a pick up truck rolls up on my left side, gets about 8-10ft in front of me. I see the passenger suddenly stick a fat boy size travel mug of coffee out the window and dump it in front of me. Swerved to miss it at the same time the truck takes off well above the speed limit. At this point I'm seeing red and I switch to the left lane and gun it after the truck. No idea what I'm going to do but I'm so pissed off I'm not thinking straight.

After the truck and I pass a long line of cars the right lane is finally open and I quickly switch lanes and pull up alongside the passenger. I look at him, he looks at me with a big shiteating grin on his face. Very slowly and deliberately, I point at him, then finger him. The grin leaves his face and he's looking at me with a confused look. At that point I realize it wasn't deliberate, he just never bothered to look before dumping his full mug of coffee out the window directly in front of me. I hate people.
I had some tools in a work van throw garbage out the window on Route 33 by Stroudsburg PA. I was riding and I see a can, then a chip bag, and finally a half full tea bottle fly out the window. The tea bottle hit the ground in front of me and sprayed my bike and legs with cheap iced tea.

I was livid. Well lo and behold the van was a company work van and had the "How am I driving, call 1800 blah blah" with a code for the vehicle on the back.

I rode his ass for 20 minutes repeating the numbers over and over so I memorized them. When I got home I tore off my helmet and called right away and told the company exactly what happened and who threw the crap at me.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #1211
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer
 
Wisconsinkris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
I had some tools in a work van throw garbage out the window on Route 33 by Stroudsburg PA. I was riding and I see a can, then a chip bag, and finally a half full tea bottle fly out the window. The tea bottle hit the ground in front of me and sprayed my bike and legs with cheap iced tea.

I was livid. Well lo and behold the van was a company work van and had the "How am I driving, call 1800 blah blah" with a code for the vehicle on the back.

I rode his ass for 20 minutes repeating the numbers over and over so I memorized them. When I got home I tore off my helmet and called right away and told the company exactly what happened and who threw the crap at me.
Luxury of BT in the helmet these days....Tap....call 1800xxxxxxx. Hi yes, I'm on a motorcycle behind truck number xxxxxx. Your driver is having trouble with his mirrors or having neck issues because he didn't notice me as he tossed his empty soda can out the window and hit me.
Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #1212
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,134
I was on my way to work the other day, stopped at a light right next to a man and a teenager, probably his son. They were in a new, very sleek BMW convertible. I raised my face shield and said "Wow, I didn't know BMW made cars too!" (I was riding my K bike) It took him a second to get it, we both laughed and had a nice little chat until the light changed.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #1213
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinkris View Post
Luxury of BT in the helmet these days....Tap....call 1800xxxxxxx. Hi yes, I'm on a motorcycle behind truck number xxxxxx. Your driver is having trouble with his mirrors or having neck issues because he didn't notice me as he tossed his empty BEER can out the window and hit me.
Fixed.......
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #1214
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
"Hello, Progressive?" "I'd like to make a claim."

"I was hit by a house out on Route 7."

"No, not a bus, a house"

"Yes, that's right a house... What? No, I did not run into the house... I was pulled over and stopped so it could make it's way by and it hit me... A large White one with Green shutters"

"Hello? HELLO?"



Explaining it to the patrol officer is probably just as difficult.

"No, officer, I haven't been drinking. See that white paint on the side of my vehicle... that's house paint!!! Get the CSI team out here."
__________________
Behold the field in which I grow my fucks | Feast thine eyes upon it and see that it is barren!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #1215
Craneguy
British Hooligan
 
Craneguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Riyadh, KSA, Cuernavaca, Mx, Houston, Tx
Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post


Explaining it to the patrol officer is probably just as difficult.

"No, officer, I haven't been drinking. See that white paint on the side of my vehicle... that's house paint!!! Get the CSI team out here."
"there goes the neighborhood... No I mean it... There is goes down I-95!"
__________________
Young enough to think I can. Old enough to know I shouldn't. Stupid enough to do it anyway
'13 Duc Multi GT, '10 Vstrom 1k, '10 705cc KLR
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014