Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #1216
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Not exactly a commute, but technically I was taking the wife to work so maybe it was?

I had dropped the wife off at work, and stopped at the gas station down the road to put gas in our Ion sedan. Pulled in right behind a new corvette, with a 30-day tag on the back. While filling the car, your classic backwards-hat-and-sunglasses douchebag with an MMA shirt comes out of the store, 32 oz soda in one hand, iPhone texting with the other, gets into said corvette, and starts the engine. Sounds nice. I like the sound of a good V8. The next sound was funnier though, the engine revved a bit, the car lurched, and the tires barked as the car stopped suddenly - apparently the car has a manual transmission, and he had stalled it. It's always funny when it happens to someone else, especially someone in a $60,000 car.

I then finished filling the tank, got back into my wife's 2003 Saturn Ion Sedan (Also a manual transmission. Normally driven by a woman, corvette guy!) and went home, my day brightened.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #1217
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,138

Some kind of short wheelbase unimog.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #1218
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 729
Laugh Oh Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post

Some kind of short wheelbase unimog.

Sent from my iPhone

Strange.

Odd.

Fun.

I've always wanted one...

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #1219
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,206
dont forget Topped out at 55 on a good day.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #1220
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,089
I wasn't going to post it, but I think that's a bit overkill. Heavy enough to find traction in the mud, sure, but not using that thing to its full capabilities when it's rigged up like a lifted Toyota. Despite that, it looks cool as hell. If it's some custom chop from a wrecked one, I wouldn't feel as bad, but I think I'm a little bit purist on military vehicles.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #1221
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 421
I'd rock it.. NOBODY would cut you off.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #1222
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Well... Almost NOBODY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
I'd rock it.. NOBODY would cut you off.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #1223
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I think I've seen this truck down near Mansfield Highway & I-20. Unimogs are rare as hen's teeth around here. Especially one like that.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #1224
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,138
Yeah this was over by 183/20. Kinda around South Hulen St.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #1225
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 145
Had my first run in with a "window washer" on the side of the road. I have not seen someone trying this attempt for money in years.

Best part is I am 4 vehicles back in traffic while waiting for a turn light, the guy steps out into traffic and proceeds to try and ask to wash the windscreens on the 3 cars ahead of me. He then gets to me, looks up, has a second of a confused look, and then asked if I "want a helmet wash, maybe a spit shine?". Now that is adaptation at its best. The light changed at that moment.

But, for his great line and morning entertainment I pulled to the left curb and fished a $5 out. I never give handouts but I have paid for entertainment (shows and such, keep it civil) and he earned it. I dont know if he is really hard up or figures this is better than working but with that approach I figure it was worth blowing my 'week of snacks fund' for it.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #1226
D R
----

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

The woman on the scooter wasn't cut off. She tried to execute a right turn across the front of the truck in the lane to her right. Given this is India and the truck driver is on the right side, I don't fault the truck driver for not seeing her. The woman was a flipping idiot... a lucky one at that.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #1227
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
The woman on the scooter wasn't cut off. She tried to execute a right turn across the front of the truck in the lane to her right.
No shit... Thus the "Well... Almost NOBODY"
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #1228
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 421
Fair enough. I stand corrected: If ANYBODY were to cut you off, you wouldn't give a shit.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #1229
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,970
I just remembered a write-up of an event I had back when I was commuting over 20k miles a year on a motorcycle... so I found it, copied it, and will paste it here. This did NOT just happen today - it happened back in Nov 30, 2011... but I don't feel like re-typing it to make its tense correct.

--------

I know I've always wondered how some guys limped their bikes home after their clutch cable broke. I've got to guess that some were lucky enough to have it happen when they were moving, but mine broke just as I was stopping for a red light - which means I had to figure out what was happening real quick, hit the kill switch, push the bike off of the road and think about what to do next. 9:15 PM, it's dark out, and I'm stuck.

The cheap pliers that come with VN800's are completely useless at trying to pull the cable to disengage the clutch - I can tell you guys that first hand.

First I wondered if I could start the bike, then give it some gas and knock it into first. This, of course, is dangerous and normally ends up in an uncontrolled wheelie, or a bump, start, bump sudden-stop.

It hit me that maybe I could pop it into first if the bike was started and already moving forward - so I looked for a place to do that that wasn't in the direct line of all the traffic we have.

More-over, I needed a direction I could go the farthest without having to stop if I did get it going. I had four directions I could have gone, and contemplated numerous side-street travels to try to do it.

If worse came to worse, I live in a flat state (sorta, in most places...) and a flat area. With this being a lighter cruiser and with me having recently replaced three of its wheel-bearings, the bike would push easily enough if I had to push it the miles home.

Then I looked in one of the directions and saw the main highway. If I pushed the bike across two intersections I'd have only two lights between myself and the on-ramp to our major highway. I'd have to chance hitting the lights green, or try to make it through them (probably wouldn't try it, but if it went red with no-one coming...)

It almost didn't work. After pushing the bike to where I thought I could get a pushing/running start, I started it in neutral and began getting it going forward with my feet. I mashed the shifter down into first; the bike lurched, then slowed, and sounded like it stalled, but I had to chance it - so I gave it more throttle and, I guess due to the rear wheel still moving while in gear it bump-restarted the bike and I took off.

I don't know how the lights stayed green as they were green for the entire time I was pushing the bike toward them, but were red just before that. On the on-ramp and the highway I thought of all the things that could go very wrong - especially at the off-ramp that leads to my house. I was just going to have to be careful, slow it down and downshift without the clutch, then stop the bike if I had to.

Or... option "B" that didn't hit me until I was near the end of the off-ramp... as I had to go right, and the light was newly red, I cut the corner a bit short - like, 50 feet short, through the grass corner and onto the sidewalk of the intersecting street.

Now I'm putting along the sidewalk - at first happy, then it hit me to be very concerned about the police seeing a street-legal cruiser with its lights on slowly heading down the sidewalk. I began looking for a way off of the curb, but there was no safe way back onto the street, and traffic had arrived so I couldn't really do it anyway. Now keep in mind I'm going, like, slow bicycle speed, so it's sorta like riding a bicycle on the sidewalk (which I never do, but everyone else in south Florida's rougher neighborhoods, like the one I was in, does). I didn't really feel too out of place when I saw one pedestrian coming at me. He was all the way over to one side, so I could easily make it past him what with the rest of the sidewalk and the grass... so I did. He didn't even blink (like I said, in neighborhoods like these, here, bikes, skateboards, and numerous versions of illegal or non-registered motorized two-wheel contraptions: pit bikes, micro-bikes, chinese scooters, chinese dirt bikes, bikes I don't even know the classification for, etc. ride the sidewalks and roads around this place, so I guess me being on it with actual lights and such didn't faze this guy).

Finally I make it to the first intersection with a side-road that both has en easy ramp down to the road surface, and will lead me to my house. It's at this point that I have to admit I ran - as slowly as I could (brakes on, nearly a stall) - some stop signs to get to my front yard.

I think this is why the other guys who have written about their clutch going out, but limping it home, refrained from writing about it... but just wrote that they never wanted to have to do it again. It's not pretty, and it's illegal if even for nothing more than you really don't have complete control of the vehicle when you are moving forward. I know that I've read that certain types of bikes are more prone to this than others, and that I've read in at least one forum (not here in the Vulcan forums) that it is strongly suggested that every rider of that forum's particular bike make/model carry a spare clutch cable for traveling roads.

I'm not too sure I will carry a spare yet as mine needs a custom-length clutch cable, but I suppose I could carry a stock cable and somehow mount the clutch-handle somewhere closer in an extreme emergency...

But that's my interesting tale for the night. Feel free to flame away - I know it weren't right, and I'm not bragging... I'm gonna guess that eventually one newer rider here might use the same rolling jam-it-in-first start I had to do to get their bike to a garage or closer to home, 'cause this crap can happen with a cable or with a hydraulic clutch if you're real unlucky some day.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #1230
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I just remembered a write-up of an event I had back when I was commuting over 20k miles a year on a motorcycle... so I found it, copied it, and will paste it here. This did NOT just happen today - it happened back in Nov 30, 2011... but I don't feel like re-typing it to make its tense correct.

--------

I know I've always wondered how some guys limped their bikes home after their clutch cable broke. I've got to guess that some were lucky enough to have it happen when they were moving, but mine broke just as I was stopping for a red light - which means I had to figure out what was happening real quick, hit the kill switch, push the bike off of the road and think about what to do next. 9:15 PM, it's dark out, and I'm stuck.

The cheap pliers that come with VN800's are completely useless at trying to pull the cable to disengage the clutch - I can tell you guys that first hand.

First I wondered if I could start the bike, then give it some gas and knock it into first. This, of course, is dangerous and normally ends up in an uncontrolled wheelie, or a bump, start, bump sudden-stop.

It hit me that maybe I could pop it into first if the bike was started and already moving forward - so I looked for a place to do that that wasn't in the direct line of all the traffic we have.

More-over, I needed a direction I could go the farthest without having to stop if I did get it going. I had four directions I could have gone, and contemplated numerous side-street travels to try to do it.

If worse came to worse, I live in a flat state (sorta, in most places...) and a flat area. With this being a lighter cruiser and with me having recently replaced three of its wheel-bearings, the bike would push easily enough if I had to push it the miles home.

Then I looked in one of the directions and saw the main highway. If I pushed the bike across two intersections I'd have only two lights between myself and the on-ramp to our major highway. I'd have to chance hitting the lights green, or try to make it through them (probably wouldn't try it, but if it went red with no-one coming...)

It almost didn't work. After pushing the bike to where I thought I could get a pushing/running start, I started it in neutral and began getting it going forward with my feet. I mashed the shifter down into first; the bike lurched, then slowed, and sounded like it stalled, but I had to chance it - so I gave it more throttle and, I guess due to the rear wheel still moving while in gear it bump-restarted the bike and I took off.

I don't know how the lights stayed green as they were green for the entire time I was pushing the bike toward them, but were red just before that. On the on-ramp and the highway I thought of all the things that could go very wrong - especially at the off-ramp that leads to my house. I was just going to have to be careful, slow it down and downshift without the clutch, then stop the bike if I had to.

Or... option "B" that didn't hit me until I was near the end of the off-ramp... as I had to go right, and the light was newly red, I cut the corner a bit short - like, 50 feet short, through the grass corner and onto the sidewalk of the intersecting street.

Now I'm putting along the sidewalk - at first happy, then it hit me to be very concerned about the police seeing a street-legal cruiser with its lights on slowly heading down the sidewalk. I began looking for a way off of the curb, but there was no safe way back onto the street, and traffic had arrived so I couldn't really do it anyway. Now keep in mind I'm going, like, slow bicycle speed, so it's sorta like riding a bicycle on the sidewalk (which I never do, but everyone else in south Florida's rougher neighborhoods, like the one I was in, does). I didn't really feel too out of place when I saw one pedestrian coming at me. He was all the way over to one side, so I could easily make it past him what with the rest of the sidewalk and the grass... so I did. He didn't even blink (like I said, in neighborhoods like these, here, bikes, skateboards, and numerous versions of illegal or non-registered motorized two-wheel contraptions: pit bikes, micro-bikes, chinese scooters, chinese dirt bikes, bikes I don't even know the classification for, etc. ride the sidewalks and roads around this place, so I guess me being on it with actual lights and such didn't faze this guy).

Finally I make it to the first intersection with a side-road that both has en easy ramp down to the road surface, and will lead me to my house. It's at this point that I have to admit I ran - as slowly as I could (brakes on, nearly a stall) - some stop signs to get to my front yard.

I think this is why the other guys who have written about their clutch going out, but limping it home, refrained from writing about it... but just wrote that they never wanted to have to do it again. It's not pretty, and it's illegal if even for nothing more than you really don't have complete control of the vehicle when you are moving forward. I know that I've read that certain types of bikes are more prone to this than others, and that I've read in at least one forum (not here in the Vulcan forums) that it is strongly suggested that every rider of that forum's particular bike make/model carry a spare clutch cable for traveling roads.

I'm not too sure I will carry a spare yet as mine needs a custom-length clutch cable, but I suppose I could carry a stock cable and somehow mount the clutch-handle somewhere closer in an extreme emergency...

But that's my interesting tale for the night. Feel free to flame away - I know it weren't right, and I'm not bragging... I'm gonna guess that eventually one newer rider here might use the same rolling jam-it-in-first start I had to do to get their bike to a garage or closer to home, 'cause this crap can happen with a cable or with a hydraulic clutch if you're real unlucky some day.
Mine broke at 1am after a 975 mile day, 3 miles from home. Was able to use vise grips to grab the end and limp home.
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote