User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #1246
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Merging...

I have short merge lane onto the two lane interstate on my daily commute to work. I try to speed up quickly and to get up to speed limit before approaching. Being that I ride a KLR, that can take awhile. Merging today the car approaching decided not to move over and actually sped up and I had to slow down to merge behind him. He could have easily moved to the left lane to let me in and continued on. I rode by and just looked at him (didn't make any salutes). He looked at me with a "what?" face. I just continued on. I agree there is no need to escalate on a ride to work on a very nice crisp morning. But this is a pet peeve of mine.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #1247
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Glasscock View Post
I have short merge lane onto the two lane interstate on my daily commute to work. I try to speed up quickly and to get up to speed limit before approaching. Being that I ride a KLR, that can take awhile. Merging today the car approaching decided not to move over and actually sped up and I had to slow down to merge behind him. He could have easily moved to the left lane to let me in and continued on. I rode by and just looked at him (didn't make any salutes). He looked at me with a "what?" face. I just continued on. I agree there is no need to escalate on a ride to work on a very nice crisp morning. But this is a pet peeve of mine.

The driver may have thought he was doing you a favor by speeding up to get out of your way. "Those KLR have a reputation ya know." DAHS

Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #1248
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Someone actually tried to adjust their speed to let you in and you whine about it?
...because you had to merge behind them instead of in front? ...or?

Really?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #1249
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Someone actually tried to adjust their speed to let you in and you whine about it?
...because you had to merge behind them instead of in front? ...or?

Really?
No, it wasn't all that simple. I have it on camera (I always ride with my GOPRO). Let me edit it and see if I can learn to post vids on here (photobucket seems to not work the last time I posted something) I'll set up another site account and I can show you and I can get your opinion(s). And If it still looks like I'm whining, fine. Deal?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #1250
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

My merge

Okay. This is what I was talking about. Please tell me if I'm in the wrong. Notice no cars at all in the left lane. The guy just didn't want to move over. And it appears that he speeds up as I was approaching. Notice him applying the brakes there? My only guess is he was driving below the speed limit and felt it would be easier to just do this instead of moving to the left. I don't know. Now that I got a youtube account set up. I'll try to post some of my more closer calls I've had on my daily commute.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #1251
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 678
Question

Hey KG,

Your video shows up as "Private", and doesn't let me view it.

Anybody else having better luck?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #1252
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Ahh commuting.

One lane in either direction, stopped at a red light. I am the front car.

The car across from me has their left signal on, I have my left signal on. Light turns green. I attempt to wave him through, he insists that I turn across the intersection first. Fine. I proceed....PWHAHABLEEPINGBAM!!!! I am struck head on. Not by the man who insisted that I proceed first, but by the dumb bitch behind him who drove her car up on the sidewalk and around him to avoid having to stop for a moment. I am glad I was able to refrain from the ass beating that I almost gave her, because she received 100 percent liability for the accident, and I was happy to be unharmed.

Oh, and I am an advocate for letting things go and being nice. I let the police officer off with a warning when he insisted that it would be primarily my fault, because although she made an illegal pass and was driving wrecklessly, I should have yielded. Unlucky for me, this officer filed the initial police report. Lucky for me, the chief and the other office in charge of approving the report pointed out his stupidity and rejected his report.

Ladies and gents, this has been my first episode of your "Douchebag-Of-The-Day", and do not worry, I have another for tomorrow, and many more to come.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #1253
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Hey KG,

Your video shows up as "Private", and doesn't let me view it.

Anybody else having better luck?
Nope! Same issue here
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #1254
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Nope! Same issue here
Sorry about that. I just updated it to public so see if you guys can view it.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #1255
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Okay. This is what I was talking about. Please tell me if I'm in the wrong.
That is NOTHING. The other driver didn't even inadvertently try to kill you. On a rudeness scale of 1-10 that's a 2. Throttle past and move on with your day.

If that's the worst offence against you, you have it great.

That's my opinion anyway.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #1256
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Okay. This is what I was talking about. Please tell me if I'm in the wrong. Notice no cars at all in the left lane. The guy just didn't want to move over. And it appears that he speeds up as I was approaching. Notice him applying the brakes there? My only guess is he was driving below the speed limit and felt it would be easier to just do this instead of moving to the left. I don't know. Now that I got a youtube account set up. I'll try to post some of my more closer calls I've had on my daily commute.

It looks like he was trying to move up to allow you to merge, then he hit brakes to avoid rear ending the car in front of him. This is really not that bad, maybe he was expecting you to stop in the acceleration lane like many people do.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #1257
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Okay. This is what I was talking about. Please tell me if I'm in the wrong. Notice no cars at all in the left lane. The guy just didn't want to move over.
I don't know what the laws are where you are, but where I'm from, he has legal right of way, and it is your responsibility when merging into traffic to find a gap.

Looks to me like he was trying to not get stuck behind you or was trying to be polite by opening a gap behind him. Legally, he should have maintained a steady speed and made you adjust to him. To be polite he could have moved over, but has no requirement to do so. He may have thought be was being nice by opening up a space, not expecting you to accelerate as fast as you did to get in front of him.
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #1258
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Sorry about that. I just updated it to public so see if you guys can view it.
Yep show a pic of the speedometer. Looks like it was "up there" on the video. Mid-scale??? On my bike that's way to effing fast to merge safely.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #1259
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Yep show a pic of the speedometer. Looks like it was "up there" on the video. Mid-scale??? On my bike that's way to effing fast to merge safely.
"Too effing fast" is entirely dependent on traffic speed. I'll find my own gap when merging into traffic no need for someone to make one for me unless they just feel like being nice.

My biggest pet peeve with people and merging is by people coming onto the highway from a ramp. They have a half mile of run up room and they try to merge into 80 mph traffic going 40 MPH. IMO that should be ticketable as it creates a traffic hazard.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #1260
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
maybe he was expecting you to stop in the acceleration lane like many people do.
Cynicism. Yer doin' it right.

It is amazing how many people slow down or keep doing 35 mph when they try to merge.
Pet peeve of mine, find it annoying, but as soon as you know this you can take it into account and adjust your riding.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote