ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #1366
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 845
OK so I am riding to work the other day and some Asshole is cruising in the far left lane of a 6 lane divided freeway at 50 mph in a 60 zone,, and everybody is having to pass on his right. Well a Cop pulls up on his ass and rides it like forever. Yeah, finally a Cop when you need one. I am in the middle lane, and move over to the right lane, and slow down because I am waiting for the Cop to light him up, and I want to see this jerk off get pulled over. Finally the Cop gets an opening in the middle lane jumps over there and floors it past this jerk off and cuts back in front of him and takes off. WTF! I would have lit his ass up and rode him to the shoulder like the Youtube video floating around here. To top it off when I passed him in the far right and looked at him two lanes over the fucking jerk was on his cellphone which is why he was cruising 50 in the #1 lane while everyone else had to go around to his right. I wanted to pull the damn Cop over and chew his ass out. And yes he was a marked County Sheriff's Deputy in his jurisdiction. WTF!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #1367
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central Oregon
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I wanted to pull the damn Cop over and chew his ass out. And yes he was a marked County Sheriff's Deputy in his jurisdiction. WTF!
He might have been on his way to a higher priority call. Just food for thought...
__________________
- Eric
2002 BMW R1150GS
EKinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #1368
8lives
Dharma Bum
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,874
I may not ever get to do a Alaska etc kinda trip,so my ADV rides are commuting,it's been a year of motorcycle riding only using a cage when no other option exist.I think I'm ready for whatever because I've seen snow,rain,and heat.Kinda getting to the point where I feel funny in a car.
__________________
Trickster Redeemer
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
I used to do drugs,I still do drugs,but I used to too!Mitch Hedburg
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #1369
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE
 
DOGSROOT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: DOGHOUSE
Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I may not ever get to do a Alaska etc kinda trip,so my ADV rides are commuting,it's been a year of motorcycle riding only using a cage when no other option exist.I think I'm ready for whatever because I've seen snow,rain,and heat.Kinda getting to the point where I feel funny in a car.

Don't give up hope yet, dude.

Sounds to me like you're on the right track!
.
.
.
__________________
In what sense can economics still claim to be a science if its predictive capacity is so dismally low?
Timothy Garton Ash

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #1370
8lives
Dharma Bum
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Don't give up hope yet, dude.

Sounds to me like you're on the right track!
.
.
.
Thanks I am working on it
__________________
Trickster Redeemer
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
I used to do drugs,I still do drugs,but I used to too!Mitch Hedburg
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #1371
mitchapalooza
Rider is Air-cooled
 
mitchapalooza's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD
Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
...Kinda getting to the point where I feel funny in a car.
+1
mitchapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #1372
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel
 
ParrotheadJeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Margaritaville, UT
Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I may not ever get to do a Alaska etc kinda trip,so my ADV rides are commuting,it's been a year of motorcycle riding only using a cage when no other option exist.I think I'm ready for whatever because I've seen snow,rain,and heat.Kinda getting to the point where I feel funny in a car.
I know exactly how you feel

These days I'm in the cage about once a day to take my daughter to daycare, but the rest of the time I'm on two wheels. Before I moved up here to Utah, I went months at a time without touching the cage. It just felt weird having so many blind spots and no helmet.

I noticed something in some parking lots that made me laugh a while back - "Buckle Up" was painted along with a seat belt on the way out of the lot. I thought it was funny how I hadn't buckled a seat belt in ages at the time

Have fun and keep riding
__________________
Just show me the way to the bar and a nomad who knows
- Jimmy Buffett
ParrotheadJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #1373
8lives
Dharma Bum
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,874
I drive a Peterbilt for a living so for long periods of time it's either the truck or the KLR,I commute to the truck on the bike.Neat to see so many like minded responses.
__________________
Trickster Redeemer
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
I used to do drugs,I still do drugs,but I used to too!Mitch Hedburg
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #1374
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinOR View Post
He might have been on his way to a higher priority call. Just food for thought...


Ummmmm? So wouldn't that justify lighting up the leftist douche-nozzle to get him out of the way??????
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #1375
arbutus
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 21
neat thread, just finished reading the whole thing. some highlights from the beginning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
I want to stand there and hand out flyers explaining the difference
I think you should. sometimes i want to stand along a particular stretch of road and do a dance holding up the speed limit sign ('hey, idiots, you can go faster!').


Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Taking the GF to work the other day, in her car... A hoity toity look at me my shit don't stink hot chick was jogging listening to her iPod...

...[snip]

Well, sure enough here comes a clueless "look at me my shit don't stink" female jogger with her head stuck in something with a 'i" in it, and the dumb bitch seeing my nose out in traffic runs right behind me making a panic back-up impossible...

I wait for clueless to get clear, and I back, then ditzo stops and is like "phew, that was close"... As I'm about to get out and punch the stupid out of her...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
I turned to go down my "track" and coming out of a hair-pin I passed a slow Yuppie-mobile, 3 series IIRC, headed home with her daughter.

...

Then here comes Nancy in her husbands pride and joy, "you think that's a good place to pass?" or something to that effect, b/c I've got on a helmet & ear plugs.
ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
stupid joggers, stupid pedals, stupid car, etc...
THIS^. yep.
but you are still young, are you not, IheartmyNx?? I'm guessing 23?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Sorry, my bad... Those SUV's understeer like mofo...
I'll give you this one..


Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post

That pic is undoubtedly taken in some Left Coast city that has a neo-Marxist mayor and city council. We don't have bicycle lanes around here.
because roads are for cars


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoneshot View Post
.....New to this site, but a 70 year old vet with 50 years riding......Mirror Smacking ?? Really, now, this is a good one.
So, you're hustling along at a cool 50 mph, and the oncoming cage is doing the same, and you decide to smack the
mirror to teach him or her a lesson. Seems like the mirror will smack you, at 100 mph. No ?? Got a strong wrist ??


Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
My 1st day in Paris traffic a series 3 BMW cut off a group of scooter on the freeway. A couple of miles later traffic came to a standstill.

When the scooters went by the Beemer on both sides they kicked both mirrors off. While we waited for traffic to clear an ambulance came up the left [very narrow] lane and left a trail of broken mirrors and side swiped cars that didn't get over to the right.

It was a eye opener.
awesome. i love europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post

Now, it is illegal to transport live wild animals in Maine, so I gave him some tea and a biscuit and let him out to eat some of our hen's eggs.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Man hispanic women suck at driving, this lady and her daughter just pulled out right infront of me and there was nothing blocking her view of me coming, then her dumb ass lil beaner of a daughter is like smiling and shit when i confront them, makes me want to kill people. /rant ps, i swerved and avoided her and sorry for the racism but damn every time its a hispanic person, I think i should be a border patrol agent
can you say stereotype confirmation? all kinds of dimwits don't know how to drive, as this thread will attest to. In my experience the worst ones are the young hot shots who roll up to a right hand turn, don't even look for pedestrians trying to cross the street because they're too busy rolling through and checking for cars coming at them from the left. I've seen pedestrians hit 3 times because of that sh*t. That kind of arrogant yet unaware driving is the most dangerous thing on the road (ok, except for the people with no skills).


I don't have any bike commuting stories yet (that's odd, isn't it?). I have been involved in some huge rage-fests in my car though, which, because I live in Canada of course, escalated into fits of laughter and acknowledgments of 'yeah, you're alright I guess'. Hm. Not really.


Also, I don't give a sh*t if someone crosses a double yellow to pass as long as they do it safely. I really don't see why some people make such a big deal about it just because it's a double yellow and just because it's illegal and just because you can't see the sense in passing.
All for now.
arbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #1376
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post


Ummmmm? So wouldn't that justify lighting up the leftist douche-nozzle to get him out of the way??????
Not always. http://www.annarbor.com/news/opinion...olice-driving/
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #1377
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Opinion piece by a whiny cop. Nothing more.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #1378
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Opinion piece by a whiny cop. Nothing more.
Yup! There's no doubt that average cops are better than average drivers. They'd damn well better be! They've had enough extra training. The "holier than thou" attitude that they are better than everyone else is complete bullshit however. We've all followed cops cruising in the left lane, changing lanes or making turns without signaling, rolling through stop signs, yakking on their phones and playing with their computers while driving, etc. I've seen all of the above dozens of times.

I will say that I have never seen a LEO who's driving was at the bottom of the scale but they are by no means universally at (or even near) the top of the scale either.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #1379
garandman
Beastly Adventurer
 
garandman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Dorchester, MA / Goshen, NH
Oddometer: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
H/"M****rf****r, if I had my .40 right now, you'd be dead!" /
"Would you like to borrow mine?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oic0 View Post
Thats idiot driver 101. They can NOT get behind someone. Never never never, when they get over it always has to be in front of someone. Can't count the number of times I will be at the end of a line of traffic with 100 yards of clear road behind me... 1 car length in front of me... and some guy will come up in the left hand lane trying to force his way into the not quite big enough gap in front of me. Flip me off, yell profanity, etc... because I won't let him in front of me (in my truck of course) while I am looking behind me at all of the open space. Sometimes I think I am the only human on earth that has ever slowed down to get behind someone when I want over and there is no gap.
I'm a bad person. Usually commute in a WRX. And because I leave plenty of distance with the car in front of me, some dbag will always pass me then dive into the spot in front of me: even when there's no one behind me for a 1/4 mi.

So sometimes I step on it, go around them, and pull back into line for the exit. Almost every single time, the guy who just swooped in front of me goes mental when I do the same thing to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Not a commute (although I do), but, on the way home from the shop, taking some nice twisties (through Devil's Hopyard State Park in CT, if you know it) to start scrubbing the new tires. Saw a fire truck, and ambulance and several volunteers going the other way. This can't be good. Slowed it down, several miles later came across three state cops around the remains of a WRX, wadded up into a tree. Almost certainly a one vehicle accident./
If that's the one I think it was, the car was cut virtually into two pieces. IIRC he was doing up around 100mph. There was an equally horrific crahs on LI - brand new STI, teenage driver and three friends, at least one of whom died. When my kids start driving I think I'll buy them a diesel Suburban and paint it school bus yellow.



I guess we're all somewhat mellow.....

"In Soviet Russia, traffic cut off you!"

__________________
2012 WR250R, 2009 TW200, 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS, 2008 CRF100F

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 07:07 PM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #1380
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
"In Soviet Russia, traffic cut off you!"

What a total asshole. Tried to pass a car that was obviously going to have to get around parked construction equipment, on an underpowered bike that didn't have the accelleration to pull it off, then smashes and cuts the mirror off in a fit of rage. Should have been dragged off his bike and received a good beating.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 07:23 PM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014