Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #1411
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Saw this while getting gas a couple of weeks ago. I now see it around town almost every day.

Brilliant slogan!

RxZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #1412
mneblett
Professional Lurker

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfcat View Post
I agree with everything 100%, but you left out one major group... the people attached to the diplomatic missions and other third world nationals.
Anything with a Dept. of State-issued tag (diplomats or their staff) I stay *far* away from. As a rule, most actually drive better than the locals -- the real issue is that they know that 99.9999% of the time the cops won't even light them up, let alone stop them. I go to extremes to avoid any potential for confrontation, as the worse thing that will happen to them is that they get sent home.
mneblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #1413
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
The Nautilus actually takes a split-second to come up to full volume; you can 'chirp' it at only slightly louder than a standard horn, or you can lay on it to make people's ears bleed.

Cool.

That settles that then.

Can't wait to try it out!

Cheers.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #1414
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Well, I had fun on my commute this morning. Normally my commute is relatively uneventful but today there was an accident that had all three lanes of I-30 at a relative standstill. I normally don't even go this route but decided to try it today. Anyway, I just got on the freeway and proceeded to lane split, which you just don't see done here. The other drivers were either fine with it or too surprised to try to block me, except for the truckers who succeeded in blocking me. Why do people do that? By then, one lane was flowing so I hopped over there and passed him too.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #1415
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
Well, I had fun on my commute this morning. Normally my commute is relatively uneventful but today there was an accident that had all three lanes of I-30 at a relative standstill. I normally don't even go this route but decided to try it today. Anyway, I just got on the freeway and proceeded to lane split, which you just don't see done here. The other drivers were either fine with it or too surprised to try to block me, except for the truckers who succeeded in blocking me. Why do people do that? By then, one lane was flowing so I hopped over there and passed him too.
Didn't you see the 'road patrol' sign on that truck? Or them trucks 'cause they were on the cb talking about you for a while before one of em had enough room to block you.

Your experience pretty well mirrors mine sharing here in the DC area. *Most* people could care less, but every once in a while you run across someone that just HAS to try something.

The best part is the fact that they're stopped (or pretty close to it) and all it takes is a little break in another lane to go around em. I've even gone around one yahoo on the driver's side as he was darn near straddling the line between lanes 1 and 2. Zipped around him and kept going. Waved at him as I went past. ...and that's on a GS-Adv! NOT the narrowest bike out there.

M
Old 05-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #1416
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
At least we usually get the last laugh on those dudes.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #1417
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
At least we usually get the last laugh on those dudes.
+1

That's why I like traffic lights: they allow to move up to the front and leave the bogeys behind.

It has to be red though.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #1418
SteveROntario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I wasn't commuting at the time but the other guy probably was. I was in Boston and figured I'd go have a look at Harvard. I'll be damned if I didn't find myself at an intersection with 5 roads meeting up with each other and 5 sets of street lights all sort of hanging from slightly different angles. I couldn't figure out what set of lights to look at and the guy in front of me made it through so I decided to proceed through the intersection at a slow creep. I almost made it through but some guy in a Jeep Cherokee came flying from road X at 100 mph which just happened to be one of the 4 roads in my blind spot. He locked up the brakes and stopped directly in front of me. His reaction was hilarious, he was screaming at his windshield and he nearly tore his steering wheel off during his fit but he would not look in my direction! I mean really, a local would have to be nuts to go through that intersection at any rate of speed knowing how us tourists would behave at it.
Steve
Old 05-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #1419
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Oregon / Montana

Not really a commute story but...

In Oregon, if you get caught riding over a 100mph it is:

A Felony
Automatic Impound of your bike
Automatic 6 month suspension of your license
$3,200.00 fine.

I just took a little ride to Montana last weekend and got pulled over doing 106 MPH.

I was riding with a friend. Him on a Vulcan 1500, Me on my Triumph Sprint 955. We were cruising along at the speed limit (75 MPH) because that is where my friend feels comfortable cruising...

We Stopped for gas and I forgot to put my ear-plugs in so I rolled past my friend and took the next exit. Ear-plugs now in place he rolled on up the on-ramp to I-90 and I followed... When I realised I had forgotten to zip up my pocket and stopped on the on-ramp to take a moment to fix my over-sight.

I then accelerated hard up the on ramp to re-join my friend 1ST.... 2ND... 3RD.. DOH!!! I spied the Highway Patrol Officer and quickly got off the throttle... TOO LATE... LIGHTS ON!!!

I pulled over, turned off the bike, removed my helmet and waited.

LEO: "Welcome to Montana"

ME: "Thanks, Sorry for my speed I was just catching back up to my friend after stopping to zip up my pocket. We have been cruising at 75"

LEO: Yup, I clocked him at 75... You got up to 106 in short order... There were 7 fatalities last year from riders hitting animals on this stretch of road so you need to be careful. I am going to give you a ticket but I'll cut you some slack because I believe you... How does $40 sound?"

Me: Sounds great!

WOOT!!! I LOVE Montana!!!
No, condescending judgemental crap...
No Excessive unnecessarily over exorbitant revenue generating fine... Just a straight forward Welcome and a heart-felt concern for safety.

AS IT SHOULD BE!!!

Keeping it real in Montana

Old 05-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #1420
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 731
Cool2 Gonna be a Dental Floss Tycoon...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Ialha...%3DIalhaxhr7iA

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #1421
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,730
Gotta love Frank. Funny, Camarillo Brillo came up in conversation the other day. Friend of mine said he'd brought a poncho because it looked like rain (two-day rifle match). So I asked him, "Is that a real poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?" which he recognized, and we were off......

My last trip through Montana, I drove from way up in the NE corner to Missoula, averaging about 105mph. We got gas and changed drivers, and as my friend got up to 90, and my other friend was lamenting the fact that when it was his turn to drive we'd be in Washington, a trooper lit us up. Same thing- Fourth of July weekend, be reasonable, pay the trooper $40, and move on.
Memory whiplash: We were running at 75-80 along this long straight stretch of two-lane rural road, when a Cadillac came up and passed us with a pretty solid speed advantage- probably doing well over 100mph. It was granny, Sunday church garb on, hands at 10 and 2, signalling politely... she disappeared pretty quickly off ahead of us.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #1422
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Not really a commute story but...

In Oregon, if you get caught riding over a 100mph it is:

A Felony
Automatic Impound of your bike
Automatic 6 month suspension of your license
$3,200.00 fine.
Actually, that is all incorrect if you are just stopped for speed (ORS 811.100 and ORS 811.109). It is still just a traffic violation and not a traffic crime. Fine is $1150 and suspension is 30-90 days. In Oregon, vehicles can generally only be impounded for no insurance, if it is a traffic hazard, or if it is left in an area where it is likely to be vandalized or stolen.

That said, 100+ MPH usually also brings a reckless driving charge, which is a class A misdemeanor.

And I agree the traffic fines in Oregon are too high, even though they were lowered slightly last year.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #1423
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Thanks for that. I had heard it on the news last year. Here is a more recent one.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...s-1103-ticket/
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #1424
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Did a whole tank of gas over the ton in Wyoming a few years back on the HD. Got caught after refueling.
$50 and no points/no sharing with DMV - pure revenue generation but no complaints from me
Cops were nice, we got 3... one for each bike.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 AM   #1425
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Two semi-recent oddities.

First. I'm sitting in the left turn lane behind a car, when another car creeps up behind me to a stop (gotta watch those mirrors). I twiddle my proverbial mental thumbs a bit, check the mirrors again and the rear car suddenly seems a whole lot closer. A shoulder check confirms that he's edging up BESIDE me. Sure enough, I have now have a car filtering to the stop light.

I give hime the "what's up?" gesture when he stops again. He points ahead to the car in front, then ignores me. When the light turns green he aims to pull ahead of me, which I let him do as the car in front turning has effectively cut off my escape routes. Of course the guy then proceedes to go *straight* in a left turn only lane. Doubleya-tee-eff.

Second. Another stoplight. An SUV pulls up behind me looking as though the windshield had met a boulder at 40 MPH. Only the laminate of the safety glass kept the thing in one piece. I can't see the driver at all from the exploded cracks, and the SUV keeps creeping up little by little because I doubt he could see much either. The light flips over to green before I have to use a get-out, but it left me wondering who would drive a car in that condition and what did he *really* hit?
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote