Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Hmmm. I was considering going the 50mm route and scrapping the 4860s, but not being able to buy off the shelf KTM springs easily and cheaply kinda sounds like a deal breaker to me. Plus I just gotta have that huge axle.

Well, the parts fiche shows the stock KTM springs for a 2010 990 Adventure running $287.99 at retail, and the three places I saw building custom springs were both around $150.00.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #17
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,204
triple

I'm in for the WP 50 extremes
R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:04 AM   #18
herman maire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
what is the dead line for this group buy?

I still have some stuff to figure as I dont have a clue what model to go with or any of the pluses or minuses between the different models.
herman maire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #19
borsiin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
If avaliable for the later model WP48mm USD forks i'm in.

I have a 640 Adventure 2006 with WP48 and the dual disc setup. Way to powerful for the 640 but probably perfect for my GS....
borsiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #20
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman maire View Post
what is the dead line for this group buy?
The 50mm will happen sooner than the 4860s. The design needs to be reworked a bit for the USDs.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #21
ontic

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Well, the parts fiche shows the stock KTM springs for a 2010 990 Adventure running $287.99 at retail, and the three places I saw building custom springs were both around $150.00.....
I got a quote for a recommended-by-someone suspension guy to rebuild my set of WP50's. He said Aus$400-450 for re-springing and revalving (with some test-riding and tuning as part of the process). Around $200 of this price was what he was going to have to pay for springs alone- so your figure of US$150 for springs seems about right (even though our dollar is worth more than yours at the moment, it should be assumed that we would get screwed for parts regardless).
Not sure yet if I will fork out for this quote on the forks or attempt such a thing myself.

On one level I wish I could wrap my head around USD forks on an airhead... For good or worse I just can't. Sure, in their own way the USD's look pretty sexy, but just not the sexy me or my airhead are after
I even got offered a set of 4860's from a 950 adventure for a reasonable price (compared to the cost of wp50 forks and a re-springing)- given the weight of the 950 they might be sprung adequately. Twin discs would be really nice too!
But, even though I have had moments of real doubt and strong leanings towards 4860's, I am just going to stick with the good old conventionals. These forks seem to have mostly good reviews. Hopefully they can be tuned-in to work really well. I am hopeful that a decent single disc and caliper can be made to work well too. I plan on finding some gaitors for the beasts to try overcome the leaky seals syndrome.

I picked up my ktm front wheel and axle the other day,
Tomorrow morning I leave on the R90 for a two day ride up through the high country to pick up my WP50 forks then ride on to stay at a friends place a night before riding back the next day. Great excuse for an adventure!
Brakes will be next and I am not quite decided on what to get yet.
The front end is coming together. Can't wait for these triples.

Looks like 5 now for the WP50's, maybe by the time I am back we will have the numbers!
Cheers,
ontic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMGuy View Post
No problem, as soon as there is enough interest in this style (and someone can supply me with the bore diameters) I will rework the design and post a copy here.
Boomshaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromorangekrush
I have a '04 KTM Adventure w/4860, am putting in fork seals. I used a 2"-3" micrometer and 1.5" to 8" inside micrometer set. Here are the calculations I made just below the lower triple clamp. I double checked all diameters with a dial caliper to verify.

Lower Part of Fork Tube Location Diameter: 2.356" (calc. 59.8424 m.m.)
(micrometer direct reading)

Space between Diameters: 5.116" (calc. 129.9464 m.m.)
(inside micrometer direct reading)

calculated Center to Center of Diameters: (calc. 7.472", 189.7888 m.m.)

Upper Diameter on Fork Tube: 2.1255" (calc. 54.00 m.m.)
See? Those KTM guys aren't all bad.

Just their taste in bikes.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #23
HPMGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
The 50mm guys just about have the quantity to make a run, I will post final pricing including anodizing shortly (waiting for a quote) and also the drawing of the triples for review. When everyone is satisfied, I will order the material and get these in the queue.

As for the 4860 group, it looks like there is some interest beyond the couple who are on the list here, so a run will be likely. From the dimensions above, it looks like the 4860s will use the same top triple as the 43mm forks, with a 54mm bore, so no redesign is necessary. I will rework the lower triple design to accept the 60mm bores, and post the revised design here later this week.

In the meantime, Airhead Wrangler, if you want to pick up a set of the 4860 clamps/stem and send them this way that would be great. I could verify the above dimensions and take a look at what needs to be done to modify the stem. PM me and I'll give you shipping info when you're ready.

HPMGuy screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 10:54 AM
HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #24
HPMGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are the triple clamp drawings for the 50mm Magnums consolidated on one page:

HPMGuy screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 01:54 PM
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #25
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
In the meantime, Airhead Wrangler, if you want to pick up a set of the 4860 clamps/stem and send them this way that would be great. I could verify the above dimensions and take a look at what needs to be done to modify the stem. PM me and I'll give you shipping info when you're ready.
10-4. PM sent.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #26
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
The 50mm guys just about have the quantity to make a run, I will post final pricing including anodizing shortly (waiting for a quote) and also the drawing of the triples for review. When everyone is satisfied, I will order the material and get these in the queue.

As for the 4860 group, it looks like there is some interest beyond the couple who are on the list here, so a run will be likely. From the dimensions above, it looks like the 4860s will use the same top triple as the 43mm forks, with a 54mm bore, so no redesign is necessary. I will rework the lower triple design to accept the 60mm bores, and post the revised design here later this week.

Guy - is there a way for you to make me a stem and send me the whole thing - triples plus stem, all put together? If not, I'll have to find a KTM stem and send it to you for modifying and installation as well. I want to make this as plug-and-play as possible.

BTW I am in for a set of 4860's, think I already said that though.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #27
ontic

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Here are the triple clamp drawings for the 50mm Magnums consolidated on one page:

Sounding good Guy,

I've tried zooming in on that image and also downloading it and zooming in on it but there doesn't seem to be enough detail to actually read measurements or anything.
Would it be possible for you to email me the high resolution versions of these images- either as one or two images would be fine.
I'll PM you my email address.

Having had a play with my ktm triple clamps and stem within a bmw frame, I have a few questions/issues I want to make sure of/mentally resolve with these clamps.

I won't bother wasting time or space with these queeries until I can have a good look over the final plans.

Thanks,
ontic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #28
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

FYI, I bought a KTM bottom triple and stem on ebay last night and they should be on their way to HPMguy for measurement soon.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #29
HPMGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Guy - is there a way for you to make me a stem and send me the whole thing - triples plus stem, all put together? If not, I'll have to find a KTM stem and send it to you for modifying and installation as well. I want to make this as plug-and-play as possible.
Airhead Wrangler is sending over a lower triple/stem assembly. When it arrives, I'll have a better idea of how feasable it is to modify vs. build new stems. I'm open to either....

Quote:
I've tried zooming in on that image and also downloading it and zooming in on it but there doesn't seem to be enough detail to actually read measurements or anything.
For some reason the quality of the image degrades when I post it here, I will resolve this issue and re-post the drawings soon.

Got the quote for black anodizing which comes to $18/pair bringing the total for the 50mm magnum triples to $368.

Pricing for the 4860s should be the same + ~$10 for additional material charges needed on the lower triple.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
+ ~$10 for additional material charges needed on the lower triple.
Which just raised the question in my head, what alloy are you using for these? Just curious.