Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #61
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
What is a Rooney frame?

Re the forks : I am not sure why folks are going for the old wp extremes
If you really want the aesthetics of a conventional fork I suppose, though I personally prefer the looks of USD forks on these bikes.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #62
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
frame...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=rooney

I wondered if it might be mostly an aesthetics thing with the forks. I have used both on ktm's, all good, but newer is generally better. I can highly recommend Zerodog for uprated springs as well. One other thought.... I finally got my 4860's revalved after 2 years with the stiffer springs and the difference is transformational.....

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #63
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
What is a Rooney frame?
Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Re the forks : I am not sure why folks are going for the old wp extremes
If you really want the aesthetics of a conventional fork I suppose, though I personally prefer the looks of USD forks on these bikes.

dc
Personally the reason I went with the 4860s is the fact that KTM used them on heavier bikes. The heaviest bike that the extremes were used on weighed 348 pounds. At least 100 pounds less than any airhead GS. 150 pounds less than a GSPD. I know they've worked fine for others, but I don't know what kind of loads they were designed to take. The 4860s have been used on the 950/990 adventure which weigh around 450 pounds. The 50mm extremes were only used for a few years whereas the 4860s have been used on almost all of KTM's bikes since around 2002, so parts are everywhere and will be for quite some time.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #64
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
OK, I PM’d Guy about a set of the 50mm clamps - no reply yet - but I’ve changed my mind!

Put me down for a set of the 4860 clamps please!

Cheers,

Igor
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #65
ontic

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Ive changed my mind!

just joking

But seriously, although this isn't really the thread for it, for a bit of balance, I think someone needs to sing the praises of the WP5060 extremes a little bit- unfortunately I am not technically up to the task. I could waffle on and quote other opinions and details I have gathered in my research, but this would be second hand argument at best, so I see little point in me doing it.

Generally speaking, the 50mm's are by many accounts very very good forks- possibly the best of conventionals ever made, and by some opinions better than many comparable USD's. If one does a bit of research into it one can even find people who prefer to swap out wp 43 and 48 mm USD's and replace them with the 50mm extremes.
I don't know what is truly better. I don't really care- and I certainly won't attempt to argue about it.
I think both options are going to require a fair bit of work to set up and reach their true potentials- and both will have great potential- a hell of a lot better than what these bikes came with, and more than good enough for me.
I imagine that for a straight-out swap with no further tinkering that a set of 4860's straight off a 950ADV would be sprung and valved much closer to what would suit an airhead- however are they just sprung and valved OK, or sprung and valved as they really should or could be? A lot of people are respringing their 950adv's... If one has to re-spring and re-valve both forks anyway, then there is not much use in starting off 'closer' to goal- especially considering the price of respringing the 4860's compared to the 5060's
Personally, I plan on (eventually) re-springing and revalving to suit my bike and me and my load and riding style- I am trying to be realistic and accept that this is probably ineviteble not matter which way I go.
If people can get away with not doing this then more power to them.

I will admit, I think the 4860's seem to have some significant advantages. Much larger and longer application and parts availability being probably the most important to me (although they do seem to be more expensive). Twin disc possibility is nice too (though I hope to get a single disc working very well).
To counter the parts availability issue, I do plan on eventually getting a spare set of 50mm extremes to put on the shelf for a rainy day. Looking at the prices these forks are going for, and their ready availability, I don't think there is any rush on this though.

Irrationally, I must admit to having a strong aesthetic element in my decision making.
If I really loved the look of USD forks (as some seem to) then the 4860's would probably have won my battle- for some of the longer term advantages they seem to offer. But, they just look wrong on an airhead to me, and as I have developed a mothers love for these odd bikes, in this building of my dream bike I want to really like the end result.

But, while there is a superficial element involved, it is far from the driving factor. When researching into these forks they seem like a truly excellent option.
I think any which way we go on this sort of endevour, we are all a bit crazy I am doing it for an adventure and a satisfying challenge, and I hope the results speak for themselves. It is going to be a challenging and expensive exercise by the time it is done, I am sure, but I am building this bike for keeps so as long as I can get it done in the end and be happy with the results I am not too worried about this.

Anyway, apologies for the long ramble, I just felt the 5060's were needing a bit of support.

I really don't care which way people go so long as we get enough people interested and committed to get both these runs of triples made
Cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #66
HPMGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
OK, 50mm guys have the numbers. I will go ahead and order the material and get the ball rolling. As a reminder, the price for the pair will be $350 plus anodizing. I am leaving on a short vacation, so when I return the material should be here waiting and I will put the job in the queue for the 25th, and a tentative ship date of the 5th of August. I will collect payment when I start machining, and will send out a PM to everyone with the details at that time.

As far as stem machining/pressing I am willing to do that as well. It will be modifying a stock KTM stem as done by R-Dubb per his drawing. Let me know how many are interested, and I will quote pricing including a new stem and the modifications.
HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #67
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMGuy View Post
As far as stem machining/pressing I am willing to do that as well. It will be modifying a stock KTM stem as done by R-Dubb per his drawing. Let me know how many are interested, and I will quote pricing including a new stem and the modifications.

I'll add a list of those interested in the stem machining to the list post (#2 IIRC)...

I am one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #68
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Solo, could you add me to the stem list? Guy already has my stem.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #69
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Solo, could you add me to the stem list? Guy already has my stem.

Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #70
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMGuy View Post
OK, 50mm guys have the numbers.
Any chance of doing the 4860s as well with our current numbers since the top clamp is basically the same, just 4mm wider holes? I don't see this being a terribly high demand part and I'm frankly shocked that we have as many takers as we do.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #71
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Sorry Ontic... I still really like the idea of the 50s, but Ive been seduced by a wheel option.

Thanks for your helpful post by the way - appreciate that one regardless.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #72
gsjam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Re the machining of the stem offer do we have to supply the stem or will hpn guy supply
Old 07-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #73
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

4860's or Extremes....

I suppose the other thing to consider with the 2 WP forks is that you can insert/remove a spacer in the extremes to adjust travel/ride height, but this isn't possible with the 4860's; I have pushed the forks 1" though the triple clamps to adjust the ride height on my ktm, but the travel stays the same.

Cheers,

Adrian
Old 07-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #74
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian V View Post
you can insert/remove a spacer in the extremes to adjust travel/ride height, but this isn't possible with the 4860's
Actually it's very possible. Just gotta consult the googs:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580298

Old 07-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #75
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Wish I'd known that earlier....

Well pluck me...... Wish I'd found that out before I got my 4860's revalved. I asked them if they could shorten the forks 1" and they said no, not without a lot of pissing about, so I pushed them up through the triple clamps....... Good to know though, as I still have short legs

Thanks for the info,

Adrian