User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #586
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,584
Laugh Damn it's nice outside!

Just took a quick 10 mile jaunt around the Ft. Walton Beach area. Damn thing runs GREAT! A nice way to get the 'ol juices flowing on a crisp fall morning!

Still have a couple of issues. I need new bars to get my bark busters installed. The cam cover is leaking oil. The exhaust header is too close to the air box - that's gonna be a bitch to get fixed. All in good time, all in good time...

Now I need to do my (hopefully) LAST lawn mowing job on the yard for the season. I bet those boys are having a blast out at spec!
Attached Images

"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #587
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 850
Looking good Pete, I'd lose those Deathwings though. Busted my ass real quick with em on my KLX.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #588
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Question

Dude - they are Dunlop 605s...

Dunno if that's good or bad, but they look pretty good to me. My DRZ had 606's on them and they were almost too grabby for me...
Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #589
Barney
I reckon so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court View Post
Dude - they are Dunlop 605s...
I stand corrected, 605's came on my bike also and they're crap for dirt. Change them before you're on the ground wondering what happened.(Like me).

Barney screwed with this post 09-24-2011 at 11:31 AM
Old 09-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #590
Barney
I reckon so

The DR's coming along, got a RM250 front end and just got finished putting a Scorpion XC up front and a Trackmaster on the rear.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #591
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,763
You'll like that Scorpion XC. Had on on my KLX, and it's real predictable..
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #592
Barney
I reckon so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
You'll like that Scorpion XC. Had on on my KLX, and it's real predictable..
Had em on mine too, probably on your recommendation, predictable is good.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #593
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
Had em on mine too, probably on your recommendation, predictable is good.
I just put an MT21 on the front of the KTM... I have my doubts that it'll work like I want in the sand but we'll see- It was priced right
Quote:
My bad
Old 09-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #594
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Pete, If you really like those 605's I think I still have the take off's from my KLX, but they ain't sand tires unless I'm behind you with a camera
Quote:
My bad
Old 09-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #595
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Well - there ya go. I have been schooled!

TKS!

That scorpion XC sounds predictable - just the way I like it!

Can't wait to see the DR Brett!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #596
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Now here's a perspective. It might not make too much sense right now, but lemme tell ya this.

Back in the day, say bout '66 or 7, when you could still run cars out on Johnson's Beach, and then in the mid 70s when I had my "Baja Bugs" and running thru the trails, as we sorta do now - the wise word was, for sand, you wanted FAT footprint. Nothing aggressive. That would dig in. Could get you stuck. I ran worn-out, bald, ex-caddillac 15" tires on my buggys. So anyhow - I aint a big fan of aggressive tires in the silt.

In 1967ish, in Dad's black 50 Chevy 4-dooor: at Johnsons Beach, all he did was let the psi down to about 9 or 10 (and at only 6yo I knew exactly what he was doing) psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssst. psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst.

Though a bit surprised by Dad's whole tire psi adjustment debacle, tho I should not call it as that, -- he and I then proceeded to cruise out onto Johnson's Beach, over the sand dunes, over the GD pitcher plants, out onto the freakin Gulf of Mexico, and went fishing by the moonlight. And that was with a peg leg differential anda 3 on the tree.

That was some Good Times Manaingoz.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #597
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court16927454
psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssst. psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst.

Though a bit surprised by Dad's whole tire psi adjustment debacle, tho I should not call it as that, -- he and I then proceeded to cruise out onto Johnson's Beach, over the sand dunes, over the GD pitcher plants, out onto the freakin Gulf of Mexico, and went fishing by the moonlight. And that was with a peg leg differential anda 3 on the tree.
Pix or it didn't happen, Petey

By-the-way: does your old man have anything to do w/ that beautiful Stearman that flies over my west-9-Mile house every other week? I'm thinking that Stearman is based at Coastal, just west of me on 90
Mugwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:27 AM   #598
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,092
My family had similar stories back in the late 50's early 60's. Dad had a 54 Chevy pickup and made some special split rims to get the wide tires wider on the sand. Before leavin the pavement, he'd let a bunch of air out of the tires and off we'd go. His technique would be to get some speed up on the pavement and use the momentum to get him to the firmer sand near the shoreline.
Wonderful memories. Mom and Dad were sunday school teachers and would take their class's out for parties/fishing on the beach.
My Sister and I always got to go too.

Liability and Laws put a end to shenanigans like that.

Last time I rode Johnson Beach was in the middle 70's. Had a rail dune buggy powered by a 40hp VW engine and bus transmission.

Not nearly as much fun as running the beach to Ft. McRae on a dirtbike.

Quote:
Now here's a perspective. It might not make too much sense right now, but lemme tell ya this.

Back in the day, say bout '66 or 7, when you could still run cars out on Johnson's Beach, and then in the mid 70s when I had my "Baja Bugs" and running thru the trails, as we sorta do now - the wise word was, for sand, you wanted FAT footprint. Nothing aggressive. That would dig in. Could get you stuck. I ran worn-out, bald, ex-caddillac 15" tires on my buggys. So anyhow - I aint a big fan of aggressive tires in the silt.

In 1967ish, in Dad's black 50 Chevy 4-dooor: at Johnsons Beach, all he did was let the psi down to about 9 or 10 (and at only 6yo I knew exactly what he was doing) psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssst. psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst.

That was some Good Times Manaingoz.
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #599
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Pix or it didn't happen, Petey

By-the-way: does your old man have anything to do w/ that beautiful Stearman that flies over my west-9-Mile house every other week? I'm thinking that Stearman is based at Coastal, just west of me on 90
Don't think so Mug. They have a goofy agricultural-looking tow plane and a bunch of sail planes, but thats about it. When I've been there I've never seen a Stearman...

Damn Tony - now that beach ride sounds like the bomb! But then again, I could basically ride WFO from Criegton Road at the Gull Point Community Center all the way over to Airport blvd and Cordova Mall on Old Spanish Trail back when it was about 10 miles of nuthin but clay.

I had split rims on the back of my Bajas - usually running the baldest set of F or G, 78 or 70 series tires I could swipe from the used tire joints around the p-cola area. (well if you could call 'em that.. they were round, made of rubber, and held air (for the most part )
Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #600
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:

Damn Tony - now that beach ride sounds like the bomb! But then again, I could basically ride WFO from Criegton Road at the Gull Point Community Center all the way over to Airport blvd and Cordova Mall on Old Spanish Trail back when it was about 10 miles of nuthin but clay.
Cool Pete,

I use to ride that area too.
A claypit near the south west end of the north/south runway had a good track layout, and on the east side of the east/west runway near Warlock country was a pretty good run through the blackjack oaks and a sandy motocross track.
I'da been on a blue Rickman 125 Six Day back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
If it ain't Jap,,,,it might be crap!
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote