User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Shivanshu OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Epic Ride with Epic Bike

This ride happened in the state of Himachal Prades, India. We two seasoned riders took our 100cc bikes from New Delhi to a place called Shoja in Himachal Pradesh. Distance approximately 500kms. The details are given below -

This ride was in plan for a long time, yes March, 2015 was the month which materialized this plan. I wanted to take my 1986 model Yamaha RX100 to Jalori Pass. And on 20th March, 2015 it happened.

I along with my friend Atul Modi went to Jalori Pass on 20th March, 2015. Atul was riding his 2000, RX135 as well, so it was basically a Two-Stroke ride. The planning was done, the bike checked up and serviced, leaves sanctioned and we were ready to go.

The plan was that we will leave Delhi at around 2am on 20th March. Now before this we had contacted people in Shoja which was going to be our destination and we were not getting good reports about the weather. A week before we called up ‘Thakur Elu Ram’ of Raja Guest House, and what news we get is that Jalori Pass is still not open for traffic movement because of heavy snowfall. I told ThakurJi that I will call him again mid week and then find out. Now, Atul and me, both were in a bit of confusion as we were going to a place which is above 10,000ft and if it is snowed out and not open for vehicular movement how we going to do it. The point we had in our mind is that we had to do Jalori. We both left it on the fate of time and sticking to our plan waited for the next conversation to happen. We called ThakurJi on Wednesday i.e. 18th March. The news was still not a positive one but there was a hope of light. ThakurJi informed us that though its completely snowed out and no traffic movement has taken place, but the authority may open the road this weekend. That’s all we wanted to hear, we said alright we will go as per the plan and keep him informed.

The Bike was ready, saddle bag was getting ready, all knick knacks were getting sorted out. I was excited about the ride as I was going to take my RX whom I usually call Devil after 5yrs to hill. I was waiting for the time I would leave with Devil and then ride throughout in hills. Even today the RX100 which is with me since 1998, gives me high when I ride her. So taking her to hills and specially Jalori Pass was something for which I was very excited and looking forward to.

The Riders

Atul Modi – Atul is very passionate about his bikes, he loves his bikes and he takes good care of him. In spite of riding big bikes, while touring he is always there with his co-riders and for them. A very fun to be with guy. If it is Yes for him then its Yes, if it’s No, then it’s No he is a no- nonsense guy. His riding skills are great, a very sharp person. He prepares for his rides very well. He is a mentally strong person and loves riding, he has been riding with me since past 2yrs and I am glad to have found a good friend in him.

Atul’s Ride – Yamaha RX135 – 2000model – 5speed – ported.

Me – I love riding in hills and this ride was special as I was going to take my Devil (RX100) after 5 yrs in hills. And rest you all know ;)

My Ride – Yamaha RX100 – 1987model – 4speed – stock.

The Route: New Delhi – Ambala – Zirakpur – Shimla – Narkanda – Kingal – Anni – Khanag – Jalori - Shoja

Shivanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
Shivanshu OP
Adventurer

Sorry for the size of the pic in this post, I will resize it and post it in future posts. Thanks
Old 05-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Dirt Road Cowboy
Sometimes I'm A Jerk

Oddometer: 500
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Crude quotes aside, I await you adventure.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
Shivanshu OP
Adventurer

Thank you, updates will be coming soon
Old 05-17-2015, 12:56 AM   #6
Shivanshu OP
Adventurer

Day1: FINALLY I TOUR ON MY DEVIL

The night before I slept early as had to meet Atul at around 0200hrs at Moolchand Petrol Station. I got up at 1 and reached the Petrol Station 15mins late. Atul called up and came in 10mins times and till then I was getting the fuel for my bike. Finally, we left the place around 0300hrs after chit chatting a bit and smoke. We went smoothly till Gulshan Dhaba and then stopped for a quick tea break. After leaving from Gulshan dhaba, we started moving ahead at a good pace. I was glad to take my RX out in open air after such a long time. But now as we were approaching Panipat, my bike started having hiccups and then died on me. I was like what is it? I

I switched the ignition off and then started my bike, in 2 kicks it started, I was like Thank God. So again I moved ahead and started riding happy. But again after say 20kms it started dying out on me. So again I had to switch it off and kick start it and it used to start. Now the time was around 5am, I was like hell can’t even get any mechanic at this time. So I continued doing this and Atul was cooperating completely. By 0630hrs I called Shivom bhai (RX expert) and then consulted with him. He suggested I by pass the filter from the fuel tank and let it flow directly into the carb. I took my tools out and did that. It ran all smooth only to come back after sometime. Again I called Shivom bhai and consulted with him, he asked me to go ahead and unscrew one of the screw under the petrol cap. I did that and then it ran all smooth.
A learning tip for me as I have been riding my RX since 1998 but I never found this fault taking her to many different places in plains and hills, but this was something new. Airlock in RX… well good for me I am still learning in my bike.

Now all this had delayed us by around 3hrs. As per our plan we had to reach Zirakpur by 7am, but due to the problem with my bike, we reached Zirakpur at 1045hrs. We tanked up our Bikes and then relaxed ourselves. Also since we were riding Two Strokes so we just wanted the Bikes to rest and cool down before we start our climb.

After about 20mins of rest, we left from the Zirakpur petrol station at 1100hrs. We zoomed our way to enter the foothills and we were flying once again enjoying our bikes and the cool scenic Himalyas. Without taking much stop we crossed Shimla at around 1330hrs and we stopped for smoke and some rest to our bikes. We discussed our options of the time when we will be reaching Jalori Pass. We decided we will talk about it more where we have our lunch. So we got on our bikes and left from there.

The weather which was a bit hot till now suddenly started getting cold. It was a good change of weather for both bikes and us. We finally stopped at Fagu for lunch. Fagu was snowed out, at this time of year I have been to this belt before but the amount of snow on road side was amazing and good as well. We were hungry, and the best part what I like about Atul is that he enjoys eating and hogging like me especially when we are riding. So after tanking ourselves up, we finally decide that we will see till where we can go and then take a decision. It was already 1600hrs before we left Fagu.

We crossed Narkanda pretty soon and stopped at the Petrol Station just to find out that he is out of fuel and advised us to go ahead and fill it ahead. So we move ahead and wow man the amount of snow on roadside increases and the chill factor increases along with it. So we again stop for smoke and admire the beautiful hills wrapped in fresh white sheet. After leaving from there the roads gets a bit bumpy but soon the smooth tarmac flows in. So we start pulling it up and after a short stop at Kingal for fueling up. After Kingal the attitude climbs up pretty quick, and the bike was feeling the heat. I was very happy with the response my Devil was giving, we were riding since 3am in the morning and no sign of fatigue in the bike. But as the sun was coming down quickly our speed was increasing gradually, around 1800hrs we crossed Khannag. We thought we have good time and hence let us stop for a smoke and tea. And while having tea we just enquired from the local shopkeeper about the road conditions ahead. He immediately said the roads have opened today only for the small vehicles, If you want to reach Shoja, leave now or else you will land in problem. Atul and me saw each other and being in rides before we knew what was in for us.

to be continued.......
Old 05-17-2015, 04:50 AM   #7
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,743
oh, yeah.... i'm in!.... sounds like good fun.... i mean...

What could possibly happen?....
Old 05-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,858
Awesome!!
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
Shivanshu OP
Adventurer

Yes Dave, you will come to know soon

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
Shivanshu OP
Adventurer

We knew that till we reach Jalori it will be dark and night, and as per the reviews of the Local from Narkanda, we should be ready for good snow. Now reaching a place which locals are saying has snowed a lot this year in night means Black Ice probability – definitely present. In past we have done some crazy rides like night ride from Uttaranchal to Himachal. But this time it was going to be a level up. Reaching above 10,000feetin dark which is completely snowed out…. This means few things:

1. Complete Isolation

2. No traffic

3. No help

4. No dhabas

5. No food

6. Animal conflicts

7. Above all a very chilly ride

We smiled at each other and giving a high five we sat on our bikes to go ahead and do it. And we left Khannag. I know it may sound stupid, dangerous and also adventurous to some. That we leaving from Khannag at around 1830hrs when the sun is waving good bye, the whole environment is going cold and blue, we getting stares from locals as if they trying to say, these guys must have lost it in life…. But we kick started our 2 stroke beauties and started purring up the hill leaving the civilization behind…. The whole surrounding went all quiet with lights flickering in some far off house up the hill, the few traffic which we saw on this route disappeared, forget about people we didn’t even get any stray animal on the way.

And soon it got pitch dark, the temperature dropped down to within 10degrees. Now the problem started, we were on our 2 strokes. In which mine is a 6 volt one as I had kept it stock, and Atul’s bike was 12 volt. The headlight was hardly able to illuminate the path and since the road towards Jalori was all broken up it reduced our speed drastically. Once we thought about the wild animals but thanks to our 2 strokes, we were sure the sweet sound of exhaust will definitely send those animals on their own way. The climb started getting worst with slush and broken roads, my Devil started breathing up a bit but was still pulling up good. We came to a Y intersection where we stopped, it was pitch dark and very cold. We stopped to see where to go, and then one car crossed us and he said he is going to Shoja as well. So we started following him, in this slippery slushy road, his car was able to move on swiftly but our bikes were having a problem. So within 5 minutes he had gone and beyond the visual range. Again we were in dark. The slush on road was going from bad to worst and the elevation of the climb was increasing. Trusting ourselves and our bikes, we started climbing. After sometime my bike got heated up so it was not able to pull, so I stopped and let her cool down. Atul also stopped with me, we had some water and then after say 10 to 15minutes we started climbing again. But as I said, the slush and the elevation were not able to help our bikes in anyway. We could see snow all around us. So again I stopped and then cooled down and then started it repeated once again and at last we did climb the Jalori. So at last we were at Jalori Pass but the time was 2030hrs.

I have done this pass many times since 2009 and in March also I have done it, but this time I was surprised to see the amount of snow it had all around. We stopped and nobody was there, there was a bench out there on which we sat and congratulated ourselves for doing this. We lighted a smoke and checked our bikes. The temperature was sub zero, we could not take out our Balaclavas it was that cold. We sipped water and tried to take some pics but we were too tired and exhausted to click more. So we just walked around. And then we decided to check the downhill ascent on foot and see what it has for us…. We were not surprised but we were blown away, if you think the adventure is open, wait till you see the video, of us walking down from Jalori Pass to check the road patch……

There are not much pics taken on this day but I will give you all a glimpse of what type of road which we took in the night.

rest later on buddies......

Shivanshu screwed with this post 05-24-2015 at 10:18 PM
Old 05-25-2015, 12:57 AM   #11
thepav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Awesome ride

Brilliant stuff, wonderfully written, please keep it coming, and good luck!
thepav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Shivanshu OP
Adventurer

Sorry for the delay friends was occupied in some work:

Alright after watching the videos I am sure you all would have known what the conditions were like. So we looked at each other, discussed few strategy to ride down hill and then went back to our bikes. All who have been to Jalori knows if the climb to Jalori is good then the downhill from Jalori to Shoja is more amazing. The steep downhill were great, and to add to that the Black Ice, slush and the temperatures which were in hospitable…. So we know we were still left with a bit of adventure.

Now since it was already night, the only thing in mind was to get to Shoja and crash off in bed after having bath and eating a good hot dinner. So we went to our bikes had water and smoked one more discussing few things and then we got loaded up. One kick and our beautiful two strokes fired up, though I know they had taken the beating. SO in 1st gear with our left foot down touching the road surface we started crawling down. Yes we were crawling. We could not lift our left leg and keep it on the foot peg for the next 3kms. The surface of the road was all filled with Black Ice and slush. Many times our both front and rear tyre got locked and our shoes also slipped on the road. We had to steer the bike on the snow wall on the side of the road to stop. We were stopping almost every 10mins or so to take rest and give our bike and leg a break. Ohhh man did we ask for something out of this world and you bet we got it. Wherever we used to turn the handle of the bike to see what lies ahead it was all snow on both the sides and below it was glass the reflection of black ice. We met with a stuck alto coming uphill from Shoja, the guy was drunk a bit. And we came to know that the givenrment agency who tried to clear the road today in the morning has dumped some clay mud at several patches and his car was stuck in one of them. So that guy asked for help and we being generous got off from our bike and helped him, in the process our riding gear was spray painted in brown and white (mud and snow) but after several tries his car moved ahead, he asked the road conditions we told him its very bad, but still he moved ahead and now it was our time to move ahead too. Fighting all the odds and testing our bikes to the limit we crossed 3kms of slush, black ice, mud and what not; I don’t even remember. After that we rode down and finally we reached our destination.

The destination was Raja Guest house, the owner Mr. Thakur Elu Ram came out listening to our bikes. He was a bit surprised as well as taken aback to see us riding downhill from Jalori at this time of the day. We checked our watch it was close to 11pm. We have been riding from 4am today; thanks to some initial glitches in my bike we lost some precious 2 to 3hrs. But hell yes we were happy that both the RX did the tour without any problem and without any major glitch. Riding in this terrain which is challenging and specially at the temperatures which were quite inhospitable. We did not click any pick downhill, as we were not in position of taking out our camera and doing a shoot so sorry guys no pic. But yes once we reached out there, the hotel guys picked our luggage and then kept in the room. I could see snow around the guest house as well, when asked Thakur Ji he said yes this time it has snowed a lot. I asked for a hot cup of tea which was readily available. Then we had bath and had dinner and crashed off. That was all for today.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #13
Shivanshu OP
Adventurer

The morning happened early around 6am which is what I life especially when I am in hills. I like to see the sun rise and feel the morning chill, it rejuvenates me. So I got up and as usual did all the good morning chores. Went outside and breathed in the fresh cold air of the beautiful valley. I went down to the kitchen and Thakur ji was awake, I requested him for tea. He woke up his kitchen hand and told me within 10mins I will get it. I went and saw my bike after that and man what a mess she was in. Mud and slush everywhere, some oil leaks as well. I went to my room and got the keys, two kick and she got up as well. I was happy that she is all well, warmed her up till I got the call that my tea is ready. I shut her off and went up. I have one spot where I love to drink tea here at Raja Guest House and since I have been visiting this place since last 5yrs so I get the privilege of being able to move things around a bit, I will see if I can look for a picture of it. So I pulled a chair and sat there with a hot cup of tea admiring the flying birds in the valley which is green and lively. On the left side I see the Jalori pass and thinking about yesterday’s journey, lol I laugh at myself for being such a crazy person. Coming downhill from Jalori to Shoja with more than 10 to 15 feet of snow sideways and that also after 8:30pm lol, but I was proud of my RX for being able to do and coming to hills after 5yrs she did not complain anything.
Finally Atul also came out so got tea and sat together and started discussing what to be done for the day. We were planning to go ahead and take our bikes to Jalori pass once again. We both were excited and we knew that this is going to be tough as well as adventure. So we both got excited and started cleaning our shoes and riding pant which was covered in mud from last night’s ride. We ordered paratha and of course tea for breakfast.
Now we all ready to go uphill again, we went to check our bikes. The bike was covered in mud and then there were oil stains almost everywhere on our bikes. Then only Thakurji came in asking us what the plan is for today, we disclosed him our adventurous trip. He said do you really want to do it. We said yes, he said the traffic has started moving and the slush will be getting worst now. Also the government will be attempting to run the bus today from Banjar to Jalori and see if it can go through or not. Then only one Tavera guy came from Jalori side. Thakur ji asked him in local language about the road conditions, the driver of the Tavera said that an before he went to climb Jalori and cross to other side but he got stuck and had to come back. He said he will try till noon again, but for now it’s quite bad as the water flow from the snow on the sides has increased which has created lot of slush.
Now we both started to think and there were too many things coming up in mind. One of them was that we both had 2 strokes which have been abused a lot yesterday, and we still had a long way back home. But again coming to Shoja and not going to Jalori and eating magi and egg bhuji with few cups of tea was something which we cannot miss and it has to be done at any cost. Discussed the same with Thakur ji and we came to a solution, that we will catch any of the taxis who are going to cross Jalori Pass and get down at Jalori pass, spend time out there and then come down through some other taxi. Yes, Atul also agreed to this plan. So we got relaxed and had our breakfast and then started waiting for the taxi to come by. After a wait for about 30mins we got the Taxi and jumped in it. There were few other people in the taxi which was Tata Sumo. So we started from Raja Guest house and we both were excited as never took a trip by taxi on this route, always did this route on our bikes. Now the Tata Sumo was going all well for the 2kms and then it hit the patch where the incline becomes too much and seeing the slush and the snow around, we were missing our motorcycles. But then only something happened which made us feel that we made the right decision.
There was another vehicle coming downhill from Jalori, the Tata Sumo in which we were travelling had to move sideways to give pass to the incoming vehicle. Now as the vehicle passed by, the Tata Sumo tried to get out of the sideways and it got stuck. The tyres started rolling and spinning the mud was splashing but no luck. We got down and tried to push the Sumo, but it being a heavy vehicle and stuck it could not come out. After lot of tries the driver managed it to get into back gear and pull it backwards, but he was not able to go ahead and was getting stuck again and again. The driver finally gave up and said he won’t go further and reversed his SUV and went out. Atul and I decided to get down and wait for the next incoming vehicle and then we will go up. Till now it was already 1000hrs. So now waiting on the side of the road it was already around an hour, we were strolling and slowly we were trying to go ahead. But the slush was too much for us, so we got a nice spot where we got easily stand without worrying about the incoming vehicles and then started playing with snow, and we were just doing absurd things. Time passed by and we were being stared by the vehicles which were coming downhill from Jalori. So after a while we decided that we will go down and wait for another taxi.
Now as we were walking downwards we saw that a Mahindra Bolero Camper was coming downhill, so we asked him for a lift and yes we got it. We climbed on the back and there were two other people sitting and there was pile of Telecom Cables. The ride was quite a bumpy one but one hell of an experience. Nowhere to sit we were actually sitting on cable and could feel the cable well within, just after few meters of bumpy ride. We did not have any other option, so we tolerated what beating we were getting underneath and as soon as Raja Guest house came we told the driver to stop, jumped out and thanked the driver. We got down and some kids were playing on the parking lot of Raja Guest house. The cook came in and enquired what happened, we narrated him the whole story. He was like don’t worry when other one comes then you can go in that. So since we were getting bored, Atul started recording the kids playing cricket in his GoPro. And I joined the kids and was playing cricket along with them. So this happened for quite some time, I think easily an hour or more, before we spotted another taxi coming and going uphill. We waved and sat on it, this time it was Toyota Qualis. So we sat in there and again started our ride uphill, this was the second one and the time was already past 12pm. We again got excited and were happy to be on our way. One more reason to be happy was that we did not order for lunch as we wanted to have lunch at Jalori. So while going we crossed the spot where our Tata Sumo got stuck, and we were happy that this vehicle crossed it, but damn our happiness was short lived. Just I think 100meters ahead of the spot where we got stuck before the Toyota got stuck. The rear wheel started spinning moving the vehicle ahead slowly, so we were like yes it will do it. The only “bbbbaaaammmmmmm” and I knew, the rear left tyre of the vehicle burst. We were like what the hell? We asked the driver if he has a spare and very confidently he said YES. So I was like alright lets help him changing the tyre. As soon as he got the spare down from his luggage carrier on top, his face turned pale. He was like it got punctured yesterday night and he forgot about it and hence did not repair. The result – the spare had no air. Atul and I were like wow. Well the family which was sitting in the Toyota started walking upwards and were making fun of us, saying come you can do it. We were like yeah why not but in other direction. Atul and I lost it completely, we started laughing and abusing and what not. We lighted a smoke and then got back to our senses. We decided whatsoever happens we are not going to go back, so we once again started trekking uphill and towards Jalori. We were playing and doing some crazy things and laughing our guts out. The vehicle going downhill were staring us and thinking that we have lost it big time, which actually we did. So we did trekked uphill for sometime before our stomach alarmed us that the paratha consumed in breakfast in no longer available as fuel, kindly fuel up. Now this was an issue, if we went this time then I am not sure if we will be able to get the cab in time or not. So what I did is I called Thakur ji, thank God I was still getting the Cell phone reception which usually vanishes at this place. Called him and narrated him the whole thing. He said what we want; I informed that we have to go to Jalori, that’s all. Thakur ji said he will send a taxi. We said alright, we will keep moving ahead slowly so till the taxi comes we will be able to cover some distance already. After sometime we got a call that Maruti Alto will be coming and taking us to Jalori. And hence finally we reached Jalori, thanks to Thakur Ji.
The amount of snow on top was simply amazing. I have been visiting this place since year 2010 and I have visited this place in the month of March as well, I have done it twice. But this time the snow was simply amazing. Everybody even the locals were a bit surprised about the snowfall this season. Atul and I went to the dhaba which I always visit here, and the cook recognized me and we greeted each other. Then we ordered food and then visited the temple. And then we were just lazing around on the bench in sun and speaking to the locals and the Police guy who stays at this place 12 months and in all weather. We had a good long chat while we were getting our tummy filled with magi and Egg Bhuji and tea. We spent some more time and then it was time to go down back to Raja Guest house. The Alto driver was very nice, he waited for us without saying a word. Once we were back in Raja Guest House, we ordered our dinner and in evening it got quiet chilly so opened the drinks and enjoying the snacks we crashed off, tomorrow we were to reach Delhi.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
Shivanshu OP
Adventurer

Thanks for reading out till now, now enjoy the pics :

Old 06-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,075
This is awesome!