User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Returning to Nova Scotia after 32 years

After spending 10 years of my early childhood in Nova Scotia and now having been away for the last 32 years, I'm going home! My buddy Joe and I are leaving sometime in early June to take a 3,000 mile trip on our bikes to the land of the "Bluenose". It's not so much that others haven't done this trip, but more that I haven't been back in over 30 years, and Joe has never been there.

I very naively figured I'd get in touch with the son of our good family friends up there who was 8 years younger than myself, so I looked him up on the web. To my great sadness, I learned that he passed away in 1994 at the tender age of 36. I was crushed! I know I shouldn't have been. . . . . . .but I was. I resolved right then and there to take Miranda Lambert's song to heart, that "You Can't Go Home Again", and that I would use this privelege of having the opportunity to go back to Nova Scotia as an opportunity to acquaint myself with parts of this land so near and dear to me, which I had never had the chance to come to know very well.

Our main rule is that this is a motorcycle trip, so for the duration of the 2 week trip we would stay on the bikes. . . . . . . . . .no boats. Our focus will be fourfold: Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton, the Schooner-building capital of the world: Lunenburg, and observing the 60 foot tides on the Bay of Fundy at Hopewell Rocks .

I thought that a trip like this might interest some folks, so I decided to do a ride report about it where I would share my preparations in terms of Basecamp trip planning, Bike farkling, and the overall gear necessary to do a trip like this. Then I figured I'd share pics and observations along the way so folks could feel like they had come along for the ride.

Here's a pics we took of the bike "tear down" since we decided to put a Wilbers ESA into the 2015 K1600 GT I will be riding on this trip, along with a host of other farkles (to be discussed).

MORE TO COME. . . . . . . . stay tuned!

Best,

Dave R.
"Occam's Razor"
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Kawi-Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
It's funny how things affect people. I think you may find out something about yourself on this journey. I will follow along!!!
91 ZX 11
78 Z1R
Kawi-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,858
This is gonna be fun

Old 05-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkjack View Post
MORE TO COME. . . . . . . . stay tuned!
Sounds good, subscribed!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,270
In! This is a trip I want to take myself someday soon. Where are you starting from? I'm not that far away in Virginia, it's just been a matter of time and resources going other places than long motorcycle trips.

I grew up in New Mexico and travelled back there after many years away and was not real happy about what had become of some of my old haunts. I hope you fare better. Sorry to hear about your younger friend...

Doug
Old 05-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 296
If you go into Halifax "Le Citadel" is well worth seeing!

Have fun!!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 163
Nova Scotia

I grew up there until I was 27. All my immiediate family still live there in Halifax & Dartmouth. I rode my 2002 BMW 1150GS there last summer. I never get tired of riding the shoreline there. I have travelled alot and never get tired of going back home. Actually in about 5 years I hope to be spending my summers there. When you go to Lunenburg stop at the Knott Pub for some Muscle Chowder..its out of this world delicious! Enjoy your trip and PM me with any questions. I am leaving this weekend for a month to the west coast. I check this site daily. Have a safe trip.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad to have you aboard!

Thanks for the interest guys. I thought this ride might ring a bell for a few of our inmates. As soon as I get this big order out the door to the UK, I'll be able to get back to sharing our preparations, so you guys can appreciate all of the planning and the preparation this involves.

Hey GB. . . . . . . . . .bet you didn't know I was a Bluenose, did you?

This is going to be a great trip, and it makes it that much more fun to bring you guys along for the ride.

Best regards,

Rep
"Occam's Razor"
Old 05-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This is gonna be fun

Yup. . . .yup. . . . yup!
"Occam's Razor"
Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
Sounds good, subscribed!
Great to have you along!
"Occam's Razor"
Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
In! This is a trip I want to take myself someday soon. Where are you starting from? I'm not that far away in Virginia, it's just been a matter of time and resources going other places than long motorcycle trips.

I grew up in New Mexico and travelled back there after many years away and was not real happy about what had become of some of my old haunts. I hope you fare better. Sorry to hear about your younger friend...

Doug

We are starting from Upstate NY (Capital District). Reason I am focusing on new aspects of my beloved Nova Scotia is so I won't wax too melancholy. Thanks for your thoughts about my friend Jamie.

Onward and upward!

Rep
"Occam's Razor"
Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nash View Post
I grew up there until I was 27. All my immiediate family still live there in Halifax & Dartmouth. I rode my 2002 BMW 1150GS there last summer. I never get tired of riding the shoreline there. I have travelled alot and never get tired of going back home. Actually in about 5 years I hope to be spending my summers there. When you go to Lunenburg stop at the Knott Pub for some Muscle Chowder..its out of this world delicious! Enjoy your trip and PM me with any questions. I am leaving this weekend for a month to the west coast. I check this site daily. Have a safe trip.

Will be in touch!
"Occam's Razor"
Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
Junkbonds
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Good luck on your trip. I toured the east coast and the rock the last 2 years.

This year it is up to Inuvik.

I put a pair of Wilbers on my K1600 too, a set of high powered driving lights and a knarly Wolo Big Boy horn.
Junkbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I'm planning a Nova Scotia trip in early June, and I live in NY too! I hope I run into you guys out there!
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
adkjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkbonds View Post
Good luck on your trip. I toured the east coast and the rock the last 2 years.

This year it is up to Inuvik.

I put a pair of Wilbers on my K1600 too, a set of high powered driving lights and a knarly Wolo Big Boy horn.

Good luck on your Inuvik trip! The Wilbers thing was an unbelievable experience. I am also an airhorn guy. I have both the Twisted throttle "Sound Bomb" and the Carson "Stutter Horn" which is basically the same intersection horn as for 1st responders. Easy to get tired of being invisible to cagers.
"Occam's Razor"