Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 04:28 AM   #196
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,097
Hi Bbenn, I have absolutely no idea. To this day I could not find information on why and what the idea around the statues. If it was a colonial type art or if it is new or old. It also intrigued me and I would love to get the story behind this. Might be some erotic art, and there are loads of European woman on safari on trips in and out of the nature parks so it might be something to do with that.

Here is a few more.

michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #197
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Embarrassed written all over my smug face! Apparently those water buckets are what they use to serve water onto tables for restaurant guest. *:lol8:

Our clothes and boots were soaked with mud water and the sand rubbed our knees red from all the sand stuck between the knee guards.

We were quickly whisked away to the local hotel by a fixer. The policeman that helped us came over for a beer with a friend that reminded me of Crocodile Dundee. *He rides a normal 250cc Chinese special better than most KTM riders I have seen *.

The room cost us 7USD and had a sand floor. The shower we could use was next door at an additional 15BIRR (.70c usd) and how it works is that you stand in tin corrugated enclosure and a guy on a wood stand above you, throws water out of a drum over you!

Eats dual sport bikes for breakfast, what a great time, sitting having beers with other bikers.

It looked more like the local brothel, in fact it was the local brothel. *We now know because the other rooms next to ours were being used during the night and we were listening to the moans and groans. They were cool to their clients, there were condoms in the corner on the floor, at least safe sex was promoted. We decided to pitch our inner part of the tent outside the room and rather sleep in the tent.

Biker, policeman, general do gooder and all round nice guy

We were happy to be in Ethiopia. Elsebie did really well with this entire Turkana stretch and I am super proud and impress with her for keeping up with a loaded bike on a stretch that count as a proper ride in any competent riderís book.

We met Uncle, the resident 3 year old baboon and had local njera for supper. *All in all it was a good party with the locals and good to be in Ethiopia.

Yes, it looks like vomit in a dirty face cloth. It does not taste any better.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #198
Thomas B.
desert racer

Oddometer: 173
Hey Michnus,
the world is indeed a small place. It is exactly that Andrew we travelled 3 months though Africa with. We were actually at his marrige with Tina in the south of France some years ago, but then lost him.
Let me know when you are in Eu the next time. Maybe we can meet for a beer. (And look at the bags).
See you then and keep the report going. Great work.
Cheers Thomas
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #199
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Forsure! If all goes to plan and the Rand/Euro currency do not go for shit, will come and visit you for a beer. Where in Swiss you stay?

I will send Andrew this link!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #200
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

We were in heated negotiations with black market petrol suppliers trying our utmost best to obtain a few litres of petrol to get us to Addis. The town of Arba Minch half way between Omerate where we crossed the border from Kenya and Addis was engulf in dry sweltering mid-day heat.

Omarate to Addis Ababa
The voices around us were getting louder and more stressed, there are 30 people around us all pushing and shoving for the best seat in the house, this is their modus operandi of confusing and scaring. The men put a 20L yellow fuel drum in front of me and with confidence declared there is 20L in the drum.

Getting shafted for petrol

One look into the container and it was evident there were only around 15L but not a hell 20L in there. We were warned by many a traveller about these tactics in Ethiopia. There's many shrewd business people bordering on scoundrels, over charging to make a fast buck is how things roll in Ethiopia, you have to think on your feet or you will be less your underwear and socks.

Filling station corner shop, Spar, DIY shop, Bank, Forex exchange.

Main road out of Turmi, this is a one horseman town and the horse died

One man closed up the opening of the container with his hand every time I pour petrol over into our containers to filter the petrol before filling our bikes. I see the plan, and ask them for a smaller measured container.

They gave me a 5L Mobil oil container with markings on the side. I get three fills out of the yellow petrol container and tell the men I cannot pay for 20L there was clearly only 15L of petrol in the container.

Elsebie laughed herself silly, I gun it through the river bed, all is going well the next moment I am flying forward over the bars and my bike stays behind like I hit a brick wall. I rode straight into this Milktart consistency mud hole.

Riverbeds double for roads, the black dot in the distance is me.

Bulk water supply Ethiopia style

“But sir you know petrol evaporate quite quickly in the sun?” Ye, right, I might look like a retard but do not take me for one, I will respect you, but you need to return the favor for us to do a deal.

The negotiations are getting louder and fierce, we stay calm and I take out the amount of money I need to pay for 15L. They are insulted they tell me. Hell, that just sucks, I am so sorry you feel that way but have to leave. You can decide to keep on arguing with yourself or take the money.

The Ethiopians are quite good at building houses from sticks and mud that will also last for years.

Bridges get made from whatever is available.

Days before when we entered at Omarate we only had the fuel left from where we filled in Kenya. We were lucky to find a little bit in Turmi and that is where the locals informed us that there is a huge fuel shortage in Ethiopia.

We just did not realize how big the problem were until we got to Arba Minch, which is a relative large city in Ethiopia and should have had petrol.

Onions part of Ethiopians staple food.

.................................................. .....

Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #201
Thomas B.
desert racer

Oddometer: 173
Hi Michnus,
we live close to the capital Bern, so let me know when your in EU and we'll try to work something out. And do let Andrew know.
Cheers Thomas
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #202
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Cool, will PM you Andrews email
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #203
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Many roads are powder puff stuff and it get into everything.

The lower south-West Omo region of Ethiopia exhibits much the same fauna and flora as the bushveld in South Africa. Lush thorn trees overgrown bush runs kilometres over hills and through valleys.

Its home to the Omo tribes and Hummer people. We decided against visiting them, tourism have long time ago turned this into a play act as Linda described in her post.

Another day another puncture. At least it was the front tyre and we got going in 5min. Fixing punctures in 40′ heat is no fun. This is where we realised the Heidie's start to tear once they have a puncture hole.

This after all the excitement, we were relaxing sipping on fresh squeezed lemon and mango fruit juice on the veranda of the hotel overlooking Arba Minch, lake Abya and Lake Chamo.

Hotel rates in Ethiopia are so low we can stay for less than camp, its on average R100 for a room. In any case, we had to book into a hotel to wash our clothes. Still full of mud and sand from crossing into Ethiopia and by now the sand stuck in our pants were busy rubbing the skin off our kneecaps.

The service in the hotel is great and the food quite tasty. We just could not get enough of the coffee. Both of us are coffee addicts and Ethiopia is where coffee started hundreds of years ago. Coffee cost R2.5 a cup, it is an espresso style with sugar but not as bitter as Italian coffee.

Road side bar. It's a very welcome oasis after 45degree heat through the Omo valley. Beers and cold water!!!

Faark I love this!! *: :biggrin:

Fruit juice are fresh here, not the water downed stuff we get in South Africa. Fruits are freshly squeeze, nothing else added, you can even get an Avocado drink, well you have to eat it, as it is not drinkable.

Abar Minch the town next to the lakes.

We had to stay over another day in Arba Minch due to the fuel shortage while the friendly WesternUnion bank official drove around trying to beg some petrol for us at black market vendors and filling stations. All the small Tuk-Tuk taxi’s use petrol and since there is a shortage tourist are ripped for all they have.

What's better than a beer? Nothing!

michnus screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 09:50 AM Reason: Ethiopia, group photo looks like a barcode.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #204
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Ethiopia the land of StGeorge beer

Hotel Abar Minch. Good food, and water to wash our really dirty riding clothes for the first time in more than a week, after the muddy river crossings.

Late afternoon drinks on the terrace over looking the lakes

We got a sms from Martijn and Wibien with their 1972 VW they made it to Addis, and also StGeorge offer us his blessings for cold beers. It was wonderful news to know they made it to Addis with the VW. While we went the Turkana route, they had to follow the same route as Harold and Linda and do the 280km Marsabit dirt road.

The place Ewan and Charlie stayed when rushing through Etiopia. We found that out late the evening when the owner came past to ask about our trip. Luck that we had to pull into the place they also stayed

Our first coffee ceremony, itís tradition in Ethiopia and you must have popcorn with the coffee

This was a serious concern for the two with the old VW. I tried to convince Martijn to go for it, just take it slow, other non 4◊4 vehicles have been travelling that road and made it without damage. Going slow with a car is the way to get to the other side.

Fruit juice in ethiopia is the real deal. No water added, just real fruit juice freshly squeezed. It's thick and Mango and Avo must be eaten with a spoon.

In Isiolo in Kenya he commandeered a truck to take the VW to Marsabit. Not 5min on the road and Martijn and Wibien ordered the man to turn around and offload the VW. The truck operators tied the car on the back of the truck with thin nylon rope and in such a way that would have damaged the VW without doubt.

They soldiered on and got to Marsabit late the afternoon, VW in one piece and their nerves shot, but they made it!

The road up to Addis is in the process of a rebuilt by Chinese contractors and in very bad shape. We made it to Lake Langano and pulled into an Eco lodge that was recommend to us by other bikers. As I was tracking the spirits of Ewan and Charley since Malawi, it was rumoured they also stayed over at this lodge on their Long-way down expedition.

Most Ethiopians are dirt poor. A persons perception of poor change when seeing this level of commitment to make a living.

We definitely felt a very strong presence of their spirits, my neck hair stood up, it might have been because it is such an expensive place and not your average travellers hang out. This time we had no feeling of our skills levels increasing, only the size of the wallet reduced. In any case, their spirits did nothing for our riding ability.

Itís dry in Ethiopia and all the roads turn to a fine dust powder. Dusty reddish face and dry mouth with a sticky tongue for the one riding at the back.

With the spirit and all we rode into Addis at Wimís Holland house. The old Dutch man with the lovely young Ethiopian wife and only place to stay when in Addis. Martijn and Wibien brought their VW over and Andrew and Tina with their two daughters came to stay there.

Wim's Holland House and time for many beers and time to relax and kick the shoes off.