User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #61
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
Batesville Miss to Clinton Arkansas

Haven't had internet access since leaving Batesville Miss and trying to remember what and where things have happened is proving difficult and days are running together. So I'll try and get some of this straight.

I've learned two major/ important lessons 1) it hurts when you wipe out on Mississippi sand doing 35 mph, and 2) wiping out in Arkansas mud doesn't hurt and much as Mississippi sand.

Been ridding the Miss levees today and the gravel has been pretty decent, but we've been getting into some muddy areas to watch out for.

This part of Miss has been pretty easy ridding, a good fast pace with well packed gravel. Wish i could say the same for Arkansas, I found a good long mud hole to ride though. Got into the mud and another case of the bike (i.e. me) going to the wrong and deeper rut of mud...well I lost it at the end and dropped it. Well not really dropped completely flat on the ground as the rut kept the bike from laying completely flat. I waited all of 15 seconds (MAYBE LESS) for Kevin to come back and take a picture, but he was too slow.

Well two crashes in two days and that was just the beginning of Arkansas. The mud was only in patches, but the gravel was awful. The were long stretches of large rutted gravel, not just two ruts but two pairs of ruts which were probably caused by semis. one had to be very careful of staying in the rut or risk coming out over the fluffy stuff and having the front end get quite loose, which it did on quite a few occasions. I managed to have many close calls but was able to keep the bike under control by staying on the pegs, up on the tank and loose on the bars. It was really challenging, but I'm learning how to handle the bike better. Really have been glad to have Ken and Kevin coaching me. Event though the last few days I've felt more like being watched by camera vultures!!!

Here's one of the locals waiting for a meal

Arkansas gravel......and more gravel.......and more.....

This was a long day as one of our group hates the idea of camping and was pushing hard to find the comforts of air conditioning and and a cozy bed. Which isn't exactly what we found but he'll have to chime in on that...hey what do you expect for $55 for a double bed and "internet", I'm sure the owner had internet.

So this is what happens to one of my teaching gurus when he becomes tired....great I didn't even have to turn around to take a picture as he did it in front of me.

We this was what Kevin was waiting for to tell him to stop and find a camp spot....oooops just told you who was pushing to find a "nice comfortable" room.

Well now since ADV'rs are semi smart i can mention that Ken and I decided to leave our wing man...don't ride with Brad mentality here, and push on another 70 miles or about 2.5 hours to get out well deserved room in Clinton Arkansas...The Executive Inn.....1950's style hotel with all the trimings from 1950 and appropriate smell too. To bad other rooms were booked as it was about 8:30 when we got to town..no room in the inn at Best Western or others. I don't think there were any permanent residences in the room that we disturbed or at least they remained behind the plaster walls for the night.

06/24/11
Clinton Arkansas to Oark Miss--

We were going to meet Kevin on the trail somewhere but cell reception wasn't very good. We only knew approximately when he left his stealth camp site and got some sort of garbled message that he was about 7 miles ahead of Clinton. So we were behind him and hopefully be able to catch up. I'm sure kevbin didn't mind ridding alone, he had no roll charts or ODO only my GPS route which had some issues, but he managed only getting turned around 2-4 times. This allowed us to catch up to him about 1:00. All three of us had an enjoyable ride no drops by me or Ken, Kevin admitted to dropping his bike on one of the misguided routes.

We ended up FINALLY camping for the night just about 3.5 miles down the road from the Oark Cafe (nice spot and people BTW). It's a primitive site by the river. The water is very clear and the camp sites are only $3 for the site and not each!!

Wolfpen Campground(N35 40.466 W 93 37.960)

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 06-25-2011 at 08:00 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #62
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

We have seen and heard or a group of riders just ahead of us and have no who they are they were at Oark Cafe on the morning of the 24th. Hope someone chimes in.

Still need to post pict of today's ride and Warloop which wasn't that bad.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #63
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 719
Deliveries

Richard, et al,

So far have received one pair of tires from MC Super Store, and three pkgs. One from Trail Tech, one from Rocky Mountain ATV, and one from REI.

Have a safe ride and let me know when you're gettin' close...

Rod
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #64
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Blaisew here using OLH's computer. We are having a blast, and Richard is doing GREAT! He's riding as fast as Kevin and I want to go and getting the knack of making miles! There are a couple of tracks ahead of us but I don't think we will catch up to them as it seems they are really blitzing the corners. I think it's a group that is just riding this local portion based on reports from the Oark Cafe. What these trip reports never convey is just how much ground you cover, how many neat sights there are to enjoy, and for me, the challenge of using the roll charts to keep on the trail. Sam threw us a curve today, not intentionally, but I will say that you need to look at both the maps and the charts! Enough said.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #65
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by old2wheeler View Post
Richard, et al,

So far have received one pair of tires from MC Super Store, and three pkgs. One from Trail Tech, one from Rocky Mountain ATV, and one from REI.

Have a safe ride and let me know when you're gettin' close...

Rod

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HEADS UP and the use of your warehouse for our stuff!!!!! There should be one more tire showing up soon from Motorcycle Superstore. We are at the Oklahoma border tonite so 3-4 days (???) out yet wish I could give you a better ETA. You've got three guys that are very thankful for your generosity.

My rear TCK will probability be shot by then , plus Ken's front will ost likely be to the threads.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #66
grecojas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thumb

Awesome RR!

Subscribed
, '87 Honda Fat Cat, '87 Honda Elite 50, Afghan D/S Bicycle
grecojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #67
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

06-25-2011 Oark (Wolfpen) to West Siloam Ok.

We loaded up camp and made it to Catalpa which is just down the road from Oark Cafe, for breakfast. Nice pleasant people with for a good cheese omelet.

Today was a fast pace day without any tricky sections, good gravel roads and not much traffic. I was keeping more distance, getting tired of easting dust....

Pretty countryside and a little more jeep/truch traffic on the trails than before. Not that much, just a few more. More traveled roads.

Wen't through a road closed sign which had me wondering if there would be a detour, but this wasn't the case for bikes. The road was 50% washed out, but no problem.

Finally made it to Warloop, which was rocky and technical, but short. Just make sure not to blast though and it shouldn't be a problem for even an amateur.

When getting closer to Oklahoma we stopped for a short break at the Appletown BBQ in Lincoln, AR. I was cooling down at the water wheel and was greeted by the waitress with a paper towel to dry off with. Nice place she coaxed us in with her personality. The store has been open for only two days. Very good cider and salad.

V

Time to hit the road as ken is dressed and ready to go...I'm doing this RR so gotta go..

Old 06-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #68
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,720
Hey Richard!!! Looks like you guys are having a blast! Great pics and story, can't wait for more. I stopped at that catalpa store a few years back when i was lost. 2 older guys were giving me directions, they had no teeth and their accent was so strong, I couldn't understand them. Then my girlfriend translated, she lived in little rock for a few years. Super nice guys, knew right where we were heading!!!! Arkansas people are awesome.!

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 06:42 AM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #69
jbeem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Glad you're having a good time. I check for updates daily.
Be aware of the heat across Oklahoma, trees and shade are scarce.
03 KLX 400
08 Versys
jbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #70
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,743
forecast today and monday says 103 for a high here in okla
Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #71
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Im in, drink lots of water guys, gonna be bad hot crossing Oklahoma.

Once you get past Tall Grass Prarie gonna be a long grind. Keep the spirits up, dont run the fuel stops short.

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279

Vinnie the Snake screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 09:53 AM
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #72
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

The camel back easily lasted me all day on the street bike, and I thought it would be plenty, but it won't last all day in the higher heat and when exerting myself. I have a 22 oz water bottle which I haven't dipped into yet, plus a water badder ( forget the size). I had to fill the camel back up with the water bottle yesterday, but not today. Tomorrow it might not be enough w/o refilling. Not sure as physical effort will be lower but more exposure to the wind and sun. It was very windy today!! I sip on water all day long when not thirsty, but that's the best way. I stay hydrated, just ask the two other guys about how many short stops I'm making!!!

Pictures coming up late after supper. BTW my rear TCK is looking thin, sure hope it makes it to LaVeta!!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #73
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

06/26/2011 West Siloam Springs Ok to Bartlesville Ok (MM0-165)

First part trail of the TAT from MM00 in Ok, had rougher graded gravel than the Arkansas gravel. Nice tree cover but more loose gravel with some sneaky loose stuff in the curves. Not that it was difficult but just had to be mindful of potential loose stuff in the turns. It but after about 50-75 miles the roads smoothed out and we made good time in the wide open trail.

We stopped to take in the scenery of the river w/ people floating and paddling.

Other side of the road..

I like bridges..

Local feeding time.....

More locals?????

Open prairie..

Long fast sections...we were running at about 45-50 mph fast enough for me.

Did I mention it was windy??

...and then one of our group had a flat, just plugged the tire an advantage to tubeliss..

Old 06-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #74
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 719
Richard, from Bartlesville to La Veta BY ROAD (Pavement) is around 600 miles. Hope the tire makes it!

Rod
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #75
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by old2wheeler View Post
Richard, from Bartlesville to La Veta BY ROAD (Pavement) is around 600 miles. Hope the tire makes it!

Rod

Rod just sent you a PM, looking like Thursday for us.....lots of work, three tires and a trail tech odo for Kevin.

Just a side note on some gear I've been wearing. I bought a pair of used Astericks knee braces and was concerned about wearing these things that long. I'll give them about an 8 out of ten for comfort. Not bad at all on the bike, not to awkward, and for me worth the inconvenience while crouching down or working on knees as they limit fully bending the knee back to sit on the back of your legs, plus I need to pull them up the leg periodically on the ride to get then in the right spot. I've had some chaffing on the front top outside of the knee cap. Added a little gauze pad and tap to protect the raspberry on the knee. This did the trick for today. So one week of ridding and I'm glad to have these things on. Wearing Aero stitch Darien lights as over pants, these zip up the side of the leg for easy access.