Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #76
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,464
Glad to hear things are going well. As for hydration, it's worth the extra weight to pack on some more pounds of water. When I did the OK TAT last summer, I consumed about 7L of water in a day plus a couple gatorades. Just keep sipping often, gulping sometimes, and make it a goal to generate a good whiz as often as possible. I know when riding with a group, it's a drag to make a lot of pee stops, but in this case, your health and safety is more important.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #77
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
I have a 2 liter dromedary , 22oz water bottle and 70 oz camel back.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #78
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I have a 2 liter dromedary , 22oz water bottle and 70 oz camel back.
That seems plenty to last you between fuel stops (200 miles?)

Unless you're going REALLY slow...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #79
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I misssed you guys at Oark..
Richard, tell Kevin and Ken I must have been too early (did you sign the guest book?) I was there around 11 on Sat..
Sorry I missed you.

It was a lot hotter than I thought it would be. Not bad when I went in for lunch about 80, about 90 when I came out..

100 when I came down off Mt Nebo..

Hope you are staying dry, and find some cooler weather.

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #80
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
We're enjoying the report; ride safe and have a great time!

Sarah
Old 06-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #81
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Left Bartlesville at about 8:30..we're wearing Ken down on leaving early....har har har!!! He stayed up late last night 10:30. I beat him to bed. I was really enjoying the 2nd day of Oklahoma, very pretty open prairie, cows have it made, plenty of green grass and no one bothers then until slaughter time!!! Forgot to mention yesterday there was a cow on the wrong side of the fence and i didn't see her until she was running BESIDE me.......CRAP!!! We were making good time, but I had to stop to take quite few photos. Most of the scenery but some of Kevin with a front flat...tubliss you know!!

Flat ONE

Burnt Tree

Wildlife management area

We also noticed when working on the front tire that the rear brake lever was cracking at the weld...again. So we stopped at Newkirk at Leaman Const to have it welded. Tig welded that is!!! Got that taken care of rather quickly.

Brake lever fix #2

After lunch at Sonic we then hit the road again. I'll tell you the last 50 miles to Alva OK is very challenging for a novice, had a few OOOOOOOO S%$# moments in or should I say on the sand. Quite a few trucks looking for oil and there are some motorcycle sand traps to worry about. I saw Kevin moving right along and drop right down into the road and pop back up.....ooooohhhh crap wasn't sure what it was but knew I was up next...CRAP and sand trap made just for ME. I hit it and gave it some throttle and poped out, pucker factor very high. Ok one scares you...and so did all the others too...about 4-5 of them. What i would call deep sand today, but I'm new to this. Note to self need to slow down tomorrow!!!!

The about 30 miles out, Kevin looses pressure in the front tubliss again. We'll check it out in the morning,.

I hope tomorrow has less sand but I'm afraid that there is more to come. I need to be more carefull on my speed and use only enough, but it's so easy to get going fast hit sand and use even more throttle, then the speed it up even more and w/ my lack of ability this could end badly.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 07:55 PM
Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #82
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
That seems plenty to last you between fuel stops (200 miles?)

Unless you're going REALLY slow...

slow.....who ya been talking to?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #83
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
slow.....who ya been talking to?
It wasn't a dig, just a generalization. Slow going is usually sweaty going on all of my rides, therefore even more water is needed per mile. Get me?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #84
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
Hey Guys.

Reading your Ride Report brings back really good memories.

Just a few words of advice.

Get used to camping - it's so much more convenient when you are not pressing to make a destination. Plus if you see a nice place to stop, go ahead. You will remember the camping nights more than the hotels. Plus as you get out west, there are fewer towns and lots of beautiful free places to camp.

Also, 'make cows your favorite'. They will be the "significant points of interest / markers of time" as you get out west. Right now your probably thinking, "Cows? Big deal..." But by the time you get to Nevada you will be like "OMG! Look a Cow! Thank goodness another sign of life!"

and finally... stop dropping the bikes.

Good luck and enjoy your journey.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #85
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
It wasn't a dig, just a generalization. Slow going is usually sweaty going on all of my rides, therefore even more water is needed per mile. Get me?
oh yeah I knew what your were saying, just being my sarcastic self!!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #86
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

The guys are checking out the tubliss right now, putting a tube in. It has a slow leak, not sure yet from what.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #87
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
I'll be interested to hear a review of the tubliss system after the ride. Looking good guys!

John
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #88
TavisB
@TavisB

Oddometer: 379
Last year my group lost two riders to injuries on that last section before Alva. Remember, it's ok to slow down a bit :).
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #89
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Hey Guys.

Reading your Ride Report brings back really good memories.

Just a few words of advice.

Get used to camping - it's so much more convenient when you are not pressing to make a destination. Plus if you see a nice place to stop, go ahead. You will remember the camping nights more than the hotels. Plus as you get out west, there are fewer towns and lots of beautiful free places to camp.

Also, 'make cows your favorite'. They will be the "significant points of interest / markers of time" as you get out west. Right now your probably thinking, "Cows? Big deal..." But by the time you get to Nevada you will be like "OMG! Look a Cow! Thank goodness another sign of life!"

and finally... stop dropping the bikes.

Good luck and enjoy your journey.
Q~
I had a different take on the Cows of Nevada,we were out for a week of riding in Northern Nevada a couple weeks ago,very few fences for livestock and every group of cows we passed that were loitering in or near the road would either threaten to run in ft of us or just sprint around doing crazy cow stuff.
Eventually we were passing a truck on a long straight dirt road and just as I was alongside the truck a cow sprinted out in ft of the truck,the truck missed it,I tagged it at 50+ in the rear quarter and was launched over the bars,flipped and cartwheeled down the road with the bike mostly on top of me flipping rt along.

Very exciting,I ended up on my back with the DRZe laying on top of me,the truck guys stopped and got the bike off of me.
I limped away,the cow limped away(very slightly) The DRZe came through like a champ with only the handlebar clamp bolts pulled out of the triple clamps on one side and scrapes top side and bottom.I rode 80 miles the next day but was sore for a couple weeks.

So in retrospect,watching the hell out for Cows is a very good idea,they can and WILL do most anything at any given time.

We also had a couple badgers pop out and threaten to attack us,nuther day,nuther story.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #90
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
I'll be interested to hear a review of the tubliss system after the ride. Looking good guys!

John
Sounds like it's not much better than my tubed tires so far.

OLH- why the heck is that brake pedal giving so much issue?
Was it broken before the trip? Or is this a model-specific weakness?