Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Increasingly worse vibrations - oil issue? (ER6F/Ninja 650R)

Morning fellow Road Warriors.

I've been having some issues with my 650R (EU ER6F 2007) and vibrations
that are getting worse with every ride.

About 4000 miles ago I went from Total 10W40 to Mobil Extra 4T 10W40 oil
and some have suggested that THAT might be the cause of the issue, and
I'm right at my next oil change/service interval right now and don't want to
make the same mistake again.

The Kawasaki importer (and some other EU importers) are recommending
switching to 15W50 oil since last year.. specifically Motul 5100, but some
are pushing Shell.

I've notice that my gear changes got rough and sometimes take a bit more
effort then before, and there's a lot more clunking when shifting while it was
smooth as butter before. Again, can this be oil related?

In the last 1000 miles I've noticed that the fairing is buzzing a lot more,
my right hand gets numb, even my a$$, sometimes even my right leg.

I'm about ready to park the bike in a brick wall.. as I've got some surging
issues too for thousands of miles too etc..

Anyone got any ideas?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Well... I know nothing about this bike, but does it have a wet clutch -- that is, does it use the engine's oil for the clutch operation? The only thing I can imagine is the oil you are now using (again, not familiar with that oil) is not suitable for a motorcycle with a wet clutch. does not have the proper additives. That is... if the vibration etc., you are experiencing is indeed related to the oil change.

scrannel screwed with this post 06-12-2011 at 10:04 AM
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

I have just spoken with the local kawasaki shop and they say that even the
chain, which I know is due for replacement CAN be responsible for extra
vibrations (and of course, surging). I'm near valve check mileage so that
might have something to do with it, and then there's the oil.

In the end, everything mentioned could be responsible so I guess I'll have
to take care of one by one and see.

I always attributed surging to bad fueling, but no one else seems to have
fueling issues with the 650R and/or Versys.

Damnit.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 06-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 742
You have thrown quite a few things at us. Without seeing your bike it's hard to tell what might be going on. Engine, chain, transmission, it's all over the place.

If it was my bike I would lube and the adjust chain, check/adjust clutch cable, check motor mounts and fairing fasteners. Change oil and look for any big chunks of metal stuff like that. For piece of mind you could take it to the dealer for valve inspection/adjustment.

Good luck!
Baldness
Old 06-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Kirk View Post
You have thrown quite a few things at us. Without seeing your bike it's hard to tell what might be going on. Engine, chain, transmission, it's all over the place.

If it was my bike I would lube and the adjust chain, check/adjust clutch cable, check motor mounts and fairing fasteners. Change oil and look for any big chunks of metal stuff like that. For piece of mind you could take it to the dealer for valve inspection/adjustment.

Good luck!
Baldness
Thanks!
Some of the stuff was done many times since this started happening.
I've been lubing and cleaning the chain every 300 miles, no exceptions
since day one, and it has been adjusted at least two times in last 4000
miles.

I'm an easy rider so chains don't suffer much here.
Clutch was adjusted a few times in the same period too, I like to keep
everything in top shape.

Motor mounts, yeah, that's beyond what I can see without taking everything
apart, that'll have to wait a while, but I've been thinking about taking the
fairing off and isolating/putting adhesive foam strips on EVERYTHING to take
care of the buzz (I've done that a few times already but it never worked,
I'm going nuclear now).

I've got the valve inspection in the next 2k miles or so I think, so I'll do
that and the oil at the same time and see how it goes.

I just wanted to check with 650R/Versys owners one more time if ANYONE
had any fueling issues causing surging. I've seen a few guys complain about
that on other forums, and most got rid of it with an aftermarket exhaust
and power commander, but that's a huge amount of money for a bit of
surging.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
...have you checked all your engine mount bolts? I seriously doubt oil choice has anything to do with this. The chain scenario even sounds more likely.

I beleive all Kawi's spec a "fastener check" every so many miles and the engine mounts are some of those critical fasteners that should be checked. On the Ninja 250 forum, several people have reported that they found the engine mount bolts only finger tight. Obviously, a different bike, but the end result would be the same.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,776
My 650R smoothed out considerably after the valve adjustment and throttlebody sync. I'm guessing it isn't necessary the valves themselves (I only had one out of spec) but that the major service will smooth things out quite a bit. I'm noticing the same behavior on the FZ6 (now at 24k, nearly due) in that it is a bit rough at low RPMs and buzzier than it was at 15k when I bought it.

I never noticed a significant difference with oil selection. I ran the chain on the tight side, same with the throttle cable free play. Suggest bumping up your valve check service to approximately, well, now. :)
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
...have you checked all your engine mount bolts? I seriously doubt oil choice has anything to do with this. The chain scenario even sounds more likely.

I beleive all Kawi's spec a "fastener check" every so many miles and the engine mounts are some of those critical fasteners that should be checked. On the Ninja 250 forum, several people have reported that they found the engine mount bolts only finger tight. Obviously, a different bike, but the end result would be the same.
I'll make sure the guys at the shop take a look at that (I'll be watching..),
that's probably something I wouldn't remember to check.
Thanks!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
My 650R smoothed out considerably after the valve adjustment and throttlebody sync. I'm guessing it isn't necessary the valves themselves (I only had one out of spec) but that the major service will smooth things out quite a bit. I'm noticing the same behavior on the FZ6 (now at 24k, nearly due) in that it is a bit rough at low RPMs and buzzier than it was at 15k when I bought it.

I never noticed a significant difference with oil selection. I ran the chain on the tight side, same with the throttle cable free play. Suggest bumping up your valve check service to approximately, well, now. :)
I guess the answer to my question is "Just do everything."
I don't see any other way!

I loved the smoothness of the bike when it was new.. this is unrideable now!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Oil doesnt do these kind of things, unless you had poor oil pressure and your bearings would be toast, but that probably would of let you stranded. As long as you use proper oil it should be fine, Motul 5100 15W50 is fine, I use it on my kawa too.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Oil doesnt do these kind of things, unless you had poor oil pressure and your bearings would be toast, but that probably would of let you stranded. As long as you use proper oil it should be fine, Motul 5100 15W50 is fine, I use it on my kawa too.
If you are using a motor oil with automotive-style friction modifiers you can get those symptoms because your clutch/tranny will be affected.

"...friction modifiers can be detrimental to proper wet clutch operation and can cause slippage and other potential performance issues such as engine start failures, a rough running feel..."

IMHO, using Occam's razor as your model, I would go back to your recommended oil while you are doing whatever else you are also doing. While Mobile Extra 4T is supposed to be suitable for wet clutch operation, as a "semi-synthetic" it may have anti-friction properties not suitable for your particular clutch. "JASO MA" specific oil, (unlike JASO MB) are not supposed to have any friction modifiers... but it seems like a very inexpensive thing to try.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
If you are using a motor oil with automotive-style friction modifiers you can get those symptoms because your clutch/tranny will be affected.

"...friction modifiers can be detrimental to proper wet clutch operation and can cause slippage and other potential performance issues such as engine start failures, a rough running feel..."

IMHO, using Occam's razor as your model, I would go back to your recommended oil while you are doing whatever else you are also doing. While Mobile Extra 4T is supposed to be suitable for wet clutch operation, as a "semi-synthetic" it may have anti-friction properties not suitable for your particular clutch. "JASO MA" specific oil, (unlike JASO MB) are not supposed to have any friction modifiers... but it seems like a very inexpensive thing to try.
Nice info, thank you!
I'll be all over it soon.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
my guess is chain. it will cause vibration and surging...especially if too tight. i would look there first...cheaper than doing engine stuff!

a slipping clutch could cause some surging, but not likely from what your describing. get to 45mph or so in a mid gear, 3rd or 4th, and twist the throttle. if its slipping bad the engine will rev but you wont go anywhere. easy way to rule out that issue

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhess74 View Post
my guess is chain. it will cause vibration and surging...especially if too tight. i would look there first...cheaper than doing engine stuff!

a slipping clutch could cause some surging, but not likely from what your describing. get to 45mph or so in a mid gear, 3rd or 4th, and twist the throttle. if its slipping bad the engine will rev but you wont go anywhere. easy way to rule out that issue
Re: Chain - yeah, I can see the surging, but why the vibrations? It's not too
tight, it's adjusted just right according to the manual at the moment, but I
have no idea if there's any of those spots where the chain elongated more
then the rest of it.

Re: Clutch - nah, it's not slipping, I test that 2-3 times a day..

Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
some may disagree, but many manufacturers process for chain tightening puts it too tight. the reason is alot of customers in the past complain about chain noise at the 'proper' adjustment. so the makers go beyond that to increase customer listening pleasures.

any defect or such in a chain could cause vibration, but so could a tire being off balance. chains also dont wear evenly, there is always a spot that is stretched more than another. at speed, that slop, or tightness, can feel like vibration, surging, and stiff shifting.

your symptoms really cover a multitude of areas, all i doubt would spring up all at once and i doubt the oil is a causation. if it is an engine issue, i would guess its coincidence that it happened at the time you changed your oil.

start cheap and easy. check your wheel balance, r/r chain AND sprockets, etc. if you can rev the bike at a stand still and it doesnt shake, its likely not the engine. you can also get to proper speed, pull in the clutch and let the engine fall to idle. if vibes stop, youve found the area of issue. if it continues to vibe/surge, then you know its in the drivetrain after the engine.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB

tjhess74 screwed with this post 06-15-2011 at 09:27 AM
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote