Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #601
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Yep no more kill switch. Something for Triumph to figure out when we get the bikes back. We have been able to go this far and after we get our new chains we would even do the entire trip backwards if our temporary fix continued to work
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #602
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Sad day coming up soon when we have to give the Tigers back

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #603
Cariboo_kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Despite your problems, or maybe because of them, you've been great ambassadors for the sport.
Cariboo_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #604
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Thanks but many who have gone out on adv rides have had so much adversity to deal with but very kind of you to say. As I look back on this trip which turned out to be Bigger than planned it has been such a fantastic experience I can not really express it. We are such better riders now because of the adverse weather conditions and that is worth all the "problems".
Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #605
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 669
Tps

Some riders on the BMW G650 have had problems with stalling and rough running occurrences.

One fellow posted a similar fix to the one you used.

For 2.5 years, my bike ran fine, then one day last month, it just kept stalling and running poorly.
(Can't recall if I had used the kill switch on previous ride.)

At a midday stop, I remembered the simple fix; executed it, and the bike ran fine; and has run fine since.

- Engine off, turn key to on position.

- Bring throttle to full wide open; then close.

- Bring throttle to full wide open again - HOLD WIDE OPEN; and with other hand, turn key to off position; close throttle.

Give it a try on your Triumphs.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #606
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
This sounds like the BMW process to reset throttle body position for idle. I don't think the Triumph will have the same procedure.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #607
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

We are just going to keep doing our vodoo procedure until Triumph can fix it themselves unless the guy at Kickstart figures out what to do himself. It's all good. Now back to the report.

Having issues with wifi right now. Have 1 more update and videos to post when I get the connection back.

---
Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #608
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Caught up yet again

August 3rd 2011

Stewart/Hyder to Terrace (312 KM)

The truck behind us we will the call the obnoxious campers. The had so many sites to pick and they park right behind us. They were also rude about it and we think they arrived late and left early to avoid paying to boot.

Before we left Stewart I added about 1/2 liter of oil to my bike. It was low but Cheryl’s oil level was fine.

Cheryl needed air in her rear tire but when we tried at the local gas station in Stewart the hose was not motorcycle tire friendly. Then we remembered we had our own pump at the Nass River rest area and put a bit more PSI in the tire within seconds with our Cyclepump.

Decent view of the rear tire. Starting to square off but plenty of tread left and we are not worried about them not lasting. They have 12375 KM on them to date. Hard KM’s and still look in good shape. We will never use another tire on any of our DS bikes other then Heidenau!

Not sure we can ever get the shields to look new after this trip. Cheryl’s more than mine has been sand blasted!

I bet this area looks even more beautiful in the fall. Lot’s of pine trees but many deciduous as well.

This is a picture of Cheryl really but caught the little thing I use to clean my camera screen with in mid air. What are the chances of this happening again going about 110 KM per hour?

Another sunny warm day. That makes 3 in a row for us. RECORD! A lot of traffic heading from Stewart to Terrace but luckily plenty of space to pass the slow vehicles.

Cute little cafe where we both has chocolate milk shakes. We were only about 90 KM outside Terrace at this point.

Some unfortunate information about Highway 16 from Prince George to Prince Rupert. This stretch of road is also know as the “Highway of Tears”. There has been 11 women over decades who have been murdered or have gone missing on this road and so far no person or people held accountable for the murders. There are signs now posted, will have to take a picture of one on our way out of Terrace that warn people of the risks of hitch hiking. Sort of a weird feeling if you think about it as you ride this part of Northern BC.

People who cycle are really champions in my book.

Terrace the home of the Kermodei Bear also know by the First Nations as the Spirit Bear. A blond black bear that has been seen but there only a few. If you see a Spirit Bear you will have luck and are one lucky person as well.

Got into town and stumbled upon Kickstart. We knew after today that putting off new chains just wasn’t going to work for the rest of the trip. While cleaning our chains the night before we noticed the space was getting bigger between the chains and sprockets and they are both very loose with no way to tighten them anymore. Got here and Frances the service guy started making phone calls to find us the right chains for these bikes and get them shipped to Terrace by Friday, August 5th. At least we hope. No one in Prince George has stock too.

We had Frances call Western Powersports in Langley the dealer that put the bikes together for us but they were not able to help in a pinch. Frances went with a dealer in Alberta to help off set the costs for us. The head tech guy will also have a look at the throttle cable etc but does not promise any permanent fix which is understandable. We will be back here on Friday.

Riverboat Days are here in town and this is a carving that was done on the carving competition day last weekend.

I think the owner’s Jim & Vera have their signage covered very well at their RV/motel. A spotless, friendly place to stay for our 2 night layover!

Notice the name on the tattoo?

This is also a nice clean pub. The food portions are HUGE!!!!!!!!!! and not that costly.

Sure nice to see a motorcycle friendly town.

Our little room while in Terrace.

As tempting as it is to take the short ride to Prince Rupert, we will not use the bikes while in Terrace anymore than we have to while waiting for the chains. No need to put too many more KM’s on them if we don’t have to. The bikes will be used for just getting us around town. After Terrace I think we will head out to Burns Lake, pass through Prince George and go to Quesnel. After that who knows, South America? Neither one of us is ready to go home and neither one of us wants to give back the awesome Tigers.

We will someday own this bike for real.

The stalling issue has not deterred us from ever thinking these are fantastic bikes. The engines are sound and the overall bikes performance out way any stalling problems. We would take these bikes over our Beemers in a heart beat and NO we are not being paid or made to say anything positive about the Tigers. We both without a doubt believe in this bike and truly have loved being able to take a trip like this on them.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #609
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Tiger up close Video

Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #610
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 229
Been following you two since the beginning... can't believe it's almost over

Question about the luggage. Can you put a full face helmet in either one of side boxes?
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #611
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonacharlie View Post
Been following you two since the beginning... can't believe it's almost over

Question about the luggage. Can you put a full face helmet in either one of side boxes?
you can't? Neither can we

No helmets in side cases but top box yes. This Jesse luggage is top notch!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #612
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Cyclepump Rocks

Old 08-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #613
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 229
Cheryl & Leslie,
A few years ago a couple riding bud's and I took a tour in your area. I've always wanted to get back up there, beautiful country! Our trip was in no way the adventure y'all are having but for us it was a pretty big deal. We got as far as half way up the Ice Fields Parkway before having to head back south towards Yellowstone. When you're really board and have some time to kill check it out... http://www.triumphrat.net/ride-trip-...tone-trip.html

happy trails,
dc
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #614
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

I will check out your report as soon as the motel figures out why we have no wifi. Glad to have 3G coverage back but really would rather be on my computer.

---
Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #615
Delilama
Papa Bear KLR

Oddometer: 186
Hey there.Been watching since the first post,Great job to both of you.
As to your choice of Beer,Ultra?
As to your choice of bikes.
They were named in both Cycle World,and Motor Cyclist as the best Adventure bike!
Looks like the Old KLR will get a roommate soon.
Hope the the Co finds a fix for the stalling thing.
Ride Well,Ride good,Have fun!!!!!