Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #61
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I did Toronto to Alaska in 1972 on a BSA 441 Victor. Never had a break down, or a flat tyre! I'll be very interested in how you guys manage BC to AK on a pair of 20 thousand dollar bikes? I tend towards a little more "grass roots" approach. I'll be watching to see if you're not a little "over engineered"? Have a safe trip!
Lyle

we are with you on this one.....I am pretty sure these bikes will do well on this trip and as far as we can tell right now...they sure make a nice touring bike. Love the engine, power and seat
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #62
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
That noise is the bike talkin' smack about your riding style.Seriously though, thats normal. My Tiger 1050 does the same thing. About the temp guage. You know, its the little things like that. That add up to increase the msrp. Also, it would be nice to have a button to turn the ABS off. But then they would have to redesign the hardware and that again will increase the MSRP. It would be nice to have it. Obviously the engineers did a simple work around to keep with in the budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Just got back from a short ride with the Tigers...pics to come...we have a lot of riding to do tomorrow...I know so sad Leslie & Cheryl...

They sure smell new....and handle really smooth. Pics to come and what the hell is that noise they make well after you shut them down...the computer? Seriously, about oh I dunno 30 secs or minute after you turn the bikes off sounds like the computer is shutting down. We are no techies but it was weird when we first heard it. Also, just a quick comparison with the Beemers...on the BMW GS bikes there is a switch to turn off the ABS. The Tigers not so much. You have to toggle thru the console buttons to turn the ABS off. Not a huge deal but just quite a few steps to get it off when hitting dirt roads. Also, on the Beemer there is an info button so you can toggle through the computer settings while riding. Tigers no info button and again have to push the buttons on the "dash" to get the info. No ambient temperature gauge on the Tiger like the BMW. I got a little temp gauge that I will stick on the bike. I have to know what the temperature is outside...call me anal. More in a bit!
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #63
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
be safe
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #64
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Questions

Hey Gals,

I'll be following along. Have fun and good luck along the way!

I have a few questions. Are both bikes 2012s? I noticed that one has black frame and one does not. I thought that was a sign of a particular production year (2011 = silver frame, 2012 = black frame). Also it looks like one of you opted for factory skidplate and center stand and the other didn't. But I notice that both of you have the factory engine guards. Why the differences?

A riding buddy of mine recently bought one of these and he says that it is a great engine, suspension, and ergonomic package. He says that it is as different from the F800GS as night and day --- not really better or worse --- just very different. Would you two agree with that? His only mild criticism so far is the method for "scrolling through" to disable the ABS. He thinks that it will be no big deal after some practice.

Be careful and have a blast along the way!

Regards, Rob
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #65
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Both Bikes are 2012

just one was manufactured earlier I guess..the one with the silver frame. we are just waiting on the rest of the farkles to be installed on Cheryl's bike...the one without the skid plate or fog lights etc....both bikes will be kitted out the exact same way int he end and same tires.

So far the bike handles on the road was more like a street touring bike than our BMW F650GS. Mind you we have the 650 twin not the 800GS. But keep asking the questions and the more we ride the more we will know. but our first impressions are really good. Should be a comfy ride up north and thanks...we will be safe, alert and have a great time.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #66
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Jesse bags are on!

These are the Odyssey bags, 10 inch. We traveled last year with Jesse Safari 8 inch bags plus top box. We are thinking we might not need to top box that Al Jesse sent us and just use a Triumph dry bag with the panniers. We will see how the packing goes. Cheryl and I installed the luggage last night. Thanks again to Al Jesse for allowing us to borrow your panniers for this trip...that is just awesome of you!

Bikes are back at the dealer to get serviced, more farkles and tires mounted. So, in the meantime here is a little town store near our house and of course the bikes with luggage now. We managed to get almost 600KM's on the bikes over the last day or so...not the 1000KM they wanted.

Jesse bags

Common around our area, float planes because of the Fraser River.

Bruce's market our corner store here in Maple Ridge

It was about 26 degrees Celsius today...82 F. Finally maybe summer has arrived???

soph9 screwed with this post 06-21-2011 at 07:33 PM
Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #67
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 392
Nice panniers.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #68
juliaschrenkler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Alaska Trip? On an admirable mission?! Subscribed!
juliaschrenkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #69
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaschrenkler View Post
Alaska Trip? On an admirable mission?! Subscribed!
Glad you got the mission part....
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #70
Rubicon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I did Toronto to Alaska in 1972 on a BSA 441 Victor. Never had a break down, or a flat tyre! I'll be very interested in how you guys manage BC to AK on a pair of 20 thousand dollar bikes? I tend towards a little more "grass roots" approach. I'll be watching to see if you're not a little "over engineered"? Have a safe trip!
Lyle

HEY SKYSAILOR "over engineered" check out this ride.

http://mopedtrip.com/
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #71
Rubicon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Cheryl & Leslie

Have a safe and great trip.
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #72
suecanada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Thumb Just in time

Cheryl and Leslie, I hope I have caught you two before you leave...tomorrow?? Wow! Have a very safe and wonderful trip. Having had a F650GS twin too before I am very interested to hear how the Tigers do. Centre of gravity, handling on dirt, comfort, sidestand issues, throttle control on dirt. I am all subscribed and popping the popcorn!!
Picking up a Dr200 Suzuki for my new fun times this weekend from the States. Good old Micatech was selling his. Hoping for a renewed sense of freedom and less anxiety. Still keeoing the Bonnie and '83 R65LS. Spending time on the minimalist touring thread!!
Bon voyage!!
suecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #73
FXA
left turn

Oddometer: 13
I really admire you two gals for your sense of adventure.
Your going to love your trip. Wife and I are leaving from
Mn. On the 24th for Deadhorse. We'll be riding two up on
a BMW Adventure. I'm going to keep my eyes open for
two ladies on white triumphs. Have a safe and exciting
trip!!
FXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #74
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXA View Post
I really admire you two gals for your sense of adventure.
Your going to love your trip. Wife and I are leaving from
Mn. On the 24th for Deadhorse. We'll be riding two up on
a BMW Adventure. I'm going to keep my eyes open for
two ladies on white triumphs. Have a safe and exciting
trip!!
see you up there! Hoping for great weather too!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #75
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Cheryl & Leslie - all the best wishes for a fabulous ride!! I loved your report from last year, looking forward to this one!! Take care!