User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #841
redstar
New adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Great cause, great RR!

Great cause, great RR! I enjoyed it all the way, especially being an ex-Vancouver-ite, and west coast person.

Small advise: make a DONATE button by PayPal. Go to Merchant Services and there is Donate Button link in the Create Buttons list. And place it on your blog. It'll be more convenient to many people who'd like to donate. How much did you raise thus far? if it's not too early to ask. It's a great cause, and I for one can really appreciate it having a special needs daughter.

Question:
what kind of issues you had with Contour 1080? and why did you choose Contour Vs. HD Pro?

Thanks,
Egor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cags View Post
Once again ADV will not let me in so I am using Cheryl's username. Not recognizing my password. I ask you guys who do I email again?

Also, please have a read and look:

Here are some stats, over 220,000 Facebook views of our page, over 180,000 hits to our ride report on the ADV forum and almost 37,000 unique hits to our BLOG. We are really short of our goal. $5 for half of these folks would be HUGE. Think about it and learn how to donate on our BLOG under the ACT page.

http://advgrrls.com/

Thanks so much for everyone's support and great comments!

Our Charity means a lot to us....this forum has been so good to us and we just want to give back!
redstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #842
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,275
So easy Who knew

WOW...that was easy enough...I thank you for the paypal button idea...crap should have had it there all the time...better late then never as they say...thanks for the suggestion!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #843
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Followed you girls from start to finish. Great RR and awsume pics. Suggestion for you Cheryl and Leslie if your making a DVD of the pics. Sell them to us wannabes who may be thinking of heading to Alaska someday. Helps pay for the trip and/or donate to your Autistic kids Org. Maybe provide a rough list of expenses, what you did or didn't need, Things you wished you did but didn't get to do and vice versa. Well worth $20-$25US in my book. rj in Walla Walla, WA
great idea we are working on it right now....hard to edit all the pictures to make sure this is not 10 hrs long I think the first run will be for us and then we will really edit it down. Trying to get something together for my parents who are coming here from New York on Friday.

No word on the bikes regarding the service and/or Triumph offer. I got our Beemers are cleaned up and shiny. They still look great in our garage and like I have said no matter what as long as we have a bike to ride it's all good.

Quote:
Question:
what kind of issues you had with Contour 1080? and why did you choose Contour Vs. HD Pro?

Thanks,
Egor
We have been using the Contour cameras for awhile and never owned a GoPro HD cam. When I was on the road Contour offered me to trade in my GPS HD cam for the new Contour + which has an external mic for free. So, my GPS camera will be sent off tomorrow in exchange for the new 170 degree lens Contour +. can't wait to try that one out.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #844
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,208
Great ride report.....thanks a ton for sharing your adventure. You did a fine job with your RR.

To be fair.....Riding (evaluating) the Tiger; of course you should expect a different level of machine. Without listing boring specification differences; stating the price alone should be sufficently revealing.

Triumph Tiger 800 = $ 12,000
BMW G 650 GS = $ 7,350

Did the Tigers have ABS ? If so, how did it work for you ?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #845
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
Great ride report.....thanks a ton for sharing your adventure. You did a fine job with your RR.

To be fair.....Riding (evaluating) the Tiger; of course you should expect a different level of machine. Without listing boring specification differences; stating the price alone should be sufficently revealing.

Triumph Tiger 800 = $ 12,000
BMW G 650 GS = $ 7,350

Did the Tigers have ABS ? If so, how did it work for you ?
we own 2010 BMW F650GS bikes..the twins...but yeah there is quite a price difference between the 650GS twin and the Tiger. Yes, the Tigers we rode had ABS and we are both fans of ABS but we never had to use it. We turn the ABS off whenever we hit long stretches of dirt.

The real difference between the BMW and the Tiger for us is street comfort. The Tiger is way more comfortable on the pavement. There is no doubt in our minds. Not to say the Beemer is not a great bike. We just felt right out of the gate with the help of the Triumph gels seats, the set up of the Tiger is obviously more street touring than our Beemers.

Again this is just our opinions and for the amount of street riding we have to do on a daily basis makes the Tiger a more comfortable ride.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #846
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cags View Post
Once again ADV will not let me in so I am using Cheryl's username. Not recognizing my password. I ask you guys who do I email again?
Go to the opening page (main page with all the fora showing) and locate toward the bottom a board titled something like, "Ask Baldy, Blame AceRalph". Post your concerns there or maybe the mod for this forum will note your post and take matters into his own hands.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #847
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Go to the opening page (main page with all the fora showing) and locate toward the bottom a board titled something like, "Ask Baldy, Blame AceRalph". Post your concerns there or maybe the mod for this forum will note your post and take matters into his own hands.
Got it all worked out...been weird over the last few months with the forum not recognizing my password. In any case back in business and all is good for now.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #848
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Lodging and Campings Expense

Total for 44 days is: $2447

This can be done for way less if we camped more. The weather did not cooperate in the way we like to camp. Rain does not fair well with us sleeping outside. We had to remind ourselves this was our vacation too, an easy way to justify a motel. Anyone doing this trip can probably save about $600 if lodging choices were more frugal. Even more if you stealth camp. Gas costs coming up.

Gas Expenses for Both Tigers:

$1663.37

We thought it was going to be much higher.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 04:27 PM
Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #849
mnesci
Adventure Dad

Oddometer: 142
Expenses

Thanks for giving us all #'s we can look at......Is it possible to tell us how much you spent on camping/motels, food and you already gave us a gas total. Im leaving in late June of 2012 from the Chicagoland area and seeing this information is so valuable for budgeting and getting real world info. Thanks so much and glad you 2 made it home safe.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #850
mnesci
Adventure Dad

I just reread your post and see the $2500 was just for camping/lodging.......WOW must have stayed at a few nicer places.....Or is it just that expensive at motels up north. Id like to hear what your food expenses where if possible. Id like to spend less than $30 a day for food, but those cinnamon rolls looked like something id like to eat 3x's daily.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #851
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

your welcome...right above the gas costs is the lodging....$2447. Good luck in your planning...we are watching our pictures via Apple TV with music right now and man does that make us miss the road all ready.

The motel we stayed at on the Dempster and Dalton cost...

Dempster = Eagle Plains = $147 plus tax
Dalton = Wiseman (Boreal Lodge) = $90 and Prudhoe Bay Motel = $220

Just going up those roads cost us $457

And no...only 2 Hotels were nice all the others were motels and not so nice...the camping was the best
Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #852
mnesci
Adventure Dad

Laugh

I hope to camp as much as possible. Did you guys run into any problems with animals or even worse...human animals at camp sites? Nothing worse than idiots at a camp site ruining the night for everyone.
Thanks again for taking the time to post all of this for us to use.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #853
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnesci View Post
I hope to camp as much as possible. Did you guys run into any problems with animals or even worse...human animals at camp sites? Nothing worse than idiots at a camp site ruining the night for everyone.
Thanks again for taking the time to post all of this for us to use.
No issues with animals are people except some kids at Kathleen Lake but other than that ....nothing which is a good thing.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #854
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
16 hundred bucks for 44 days!!!! That's damn near free for a trip of that magnatude!!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #855
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
16 hundred bucks for 44 days!!!! That's damn near free for a trip of that magnatude!!
we may have missed a few fill ups but gas was cheaper for us in Alaska with the dollar being so strong. not bad eh?