2 stars

I guess we better pick this RR up a notch so we can get a better rating

6 days to go until freedom!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #77
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,434
Still watching from Oz ladies - good luck.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #78
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
I guess we better pick this RR up a notch so we can get a better rating

6 days to go until freedom!

I'm sure you will get 5 starts once you guys get rolling! Looking forward to it.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #79
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by lion br View Post
i'm sure you will get 5 starts once you guys get rolling! Looking forward to it.
thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #80
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 882
I was making a bunch of popcorn and stocking up on beer, now I can relax and enjoy, I'm IN!!

Very good cause and great to see the support you are receiving
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #81
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
HEY SKYSAILOR "over engineered" check out this ride.

http://mopedtrip.com/
Got to tell you, my 441 Victor set up looked like the bleeding space shuttle compared to that guy's rig! Now HE was an adventurer! I tend to subscribe to the "ride what ya got" school of thought. The more "dressing" you put on the cake, the more likely something will go wrong. If they were heading out on a pair of Vespas, I'd subscribe.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #82
thumper_tx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
The Tiger never came in Soph.........wound up buying the last f800gs the dealer will have this year.
Actually saw the Triumph rep while picking up the GS.
Interesting conversation for sure. Needless to say I will watch your trip closely.
Best of luck to ya.........
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #83
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_tx View Post
The Tiger never came in Soph.........wound up buying the last f800gs the dealer will have this year.
Actually saw the Triumph rep while picking up the GS.
Interesting conversation for sure. Needless to say I will watch your trip closely.
Best of luck to ya.........
that's too bad....but the more I get to know this bike I think it should be compared to the 1200GS not the 800's. The width of the bike and seat alone makes it a much different bike then our F650GS and the 800GS. This bike seems like it was made for road touring with going off on dirt roads as a bonus. I will make more obs as we out the KM's and go exploring. I am interested on how it will handle loaded with luggage and when I stand I have to work my legs to hold the tank because they feel so far away. Big tank wide seat. In the end I hope everyone finds their bike of choice and just enjoy riding as much as we do!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #84
10-95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Good luck!

I'm interested as to what your inseam is, height, etc. My wife is a little on the short side. Right now she rides a DL1K, got rid of a DL650 just a few months ago. Still working on getting the 1K down where she feels comfortable.

That Tiger is a good looking bike but we haven't been able to get her on one to see if she can get her feet down.
10-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #85
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Inseams

My inseam is around 30 and Cheryl's is 32. I have the gel low seat and can get almost 2 feet down but for sure one at stops. Cheryl has regular gel seat height and can get 2 feet down but not flat. She probably could have gone with the low seat and then she would have been totally flat footed. But once you get used to not have both feet securely planted as I am on my Beemer it becomes not so intimidating.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #86
CDN_Bacon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
My inseam is around 30 and Cheryl's is 32. I have the gel low seat and can get almost 2 feet down but for sure one at stops. Cheryl has regular gel seat height and can get 2 feet down but not flat. She probably could have gone with the low seat and then she would have been totally flat footed. But once you get used to not have both feet securely planted as I am on my Beemer it becomes not so intimidating.
I'm really looking forward to reading about your progress, it sounds like its going to be a good trip. I'll also be interested to read your feedback on the Tiger... I have a short inseam unfortunately and was convinced to get the 800GS until I started reading about people and their mechanical problems with them so I have my eye on a Tiger XC... just waiting to see how the feedback is first.

Have a safe trip (and fun!)
CDN_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #87
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

4 days to go

I have two more shifts at work to do and then I think my head will get more into the trip. The bikes are at the dealer getting some final items installed and our Heidenau tires have been mounted. I have not seen them yet.

Working with Triumph and the dealer has had it's challenges mainly about communication and what we want on the bikes etc....having said that, the other stressor is having everything put off until the last minute. Personally I hoped the bikes would have been up and running weeks ago and by now we would be in that sweet break in period. But since many things are out of our hands we might get the bikes back on Monday. Still waiting on the plates. Since Triumph Canada owns these bikes they will be insured from Ontario and we need Ontario plates. The first batch were sent out Canada Post. Well, they are on strike and nothing is getting through. Second via courier and I really hope arrive at the dealer on Monday.

Sunday is my last day at work until the end of August. That is soooooooooooooo sweet to say. We both have been working probably too much OT to be healthy but we had to do what we had to do to get this time away and make sure we still had pay cheques.

So, if we get the bikes on Monday, that leaves about a day to pack them up and do a few more things ourselves. We installed front fender risers to get more clearance for the Scout tires. I got 20 mm risers for my handlebars. Makes a lot of difference. We installed them too. Kick stand foot print, we used Touratech. Funny when the guys who made this little accessory, they must have designed it for a bike without a center stand. If anyone gets this from Tourtech and if it one that they have not modified, you will have to dremmel about 5 mm or more where the side hits the center. No a huge issue just someone needs to go back and redesign the foot for a bike with a center.

Both are of us are really ready to put all the "planning" behind us and just go for a long ride. Wednesday will be here very soon and first "goal" is to spend 2 nights in Dawson Creek where Cheryl has family and I get to meet them for the first time. So, not more to really do except make sure the house sitters are good to go, play with our three dogs because they know we are going to be leaving. Our dogs do not like it when we leave to go out to dinner... as far as this report....whenever we hit WIFI, I will be loading pics and videos up and post as often as we can. I think a live report is a good thing. So, in the mean while please feel free to post specific questions about the bikes if you want and we will try and answer. Or just post whatever you want of course.

Well...it is 0430 and I need to get ready for work! Later for now.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #88
vthuman
Lolo

Oddometer: 31
Greetings and hope to see you on the road!

Cheryl & Leslie - Best of adventuring! We'll be leaving from Vermont a couple days after you leave but headed for Prudhoe Bay. I'll try to keep track of you and maybe we'll meet up in AK - or Yukon Territory.
LOVE the Tigers by the way.....
vthuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #89
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Touratech sidestand foot.

Apparently the folks at Touratech didn't realize Triumph made different centerstands (sidestands?) for the 800 and XC. I got one of the early ones on my 800 and it fit with room to spare. You do have to put the sidestand down before you can use the centerstand though.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #90
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
"Triumph Canada owns the bikes...."?? Me bad. Missed that in your very first post. All your gear is supplied for you. Methinks coming up with the "bread", equipment etc is half the effort most put into a venture like this one? It's kind of like getting Boeing to supply a 737 and crew, ESSO supplying the jet B, and then doing a report on your "adventure" flight to Hawaii? So, in essence. you're just a rolling advertisement for Triumph motorcycles?
How'd you manage that one? You guys rock singers or something? So far your RR has gone 6 pages, and you haven't left BC yet. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip and all, but it doesn't seem like there's all much "you" in it? You must at least have a good TV deal, like Ice Pilots, or Ice Road Truckers?
Lyle

skysailor screwed with this post 06-25-2011 at 08:29 AM
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote