User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #886
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Triumph should go over the bikes, make any necessary repairs and then sell them to you for $5000 each on the condition that for the next two years that you attend four of the winter motorcycle shows in Canada to have a slide presentation and question/answer period regarding the Tigers (Triumph would pay your travel costs). You have much more credibility that many of the sales reps. They would also need to provide you with the full normal warranty coverage. That would seem to me to be a fair exchange. Lets say the fact that you got to use the bigs for free and Triumph benefited from your RR is a draw. The above proposal would be a negotiated trade in which you end up with a super deal on the bikes and Triumph gets equivalent value in advertising.

On a separate note, I second everybody's comments on the great RR but would like to add how much I appreciate the fact that you take the time to really try to provide detailed answers to everybody's questions. Touch of class. I like that.
Great idea and worth a shot....thanks!

Quote:
To have another inmate call your hopes or sentiments about the final outcome after the journey 'whining'... well, that's just plain tacky. Good riddance.

Congrats on a great journey, and I really do hope that Triumph steps up and makes you a fair offer (or counter-offer if you happen to make the first move!). You two would make great ambassadors for the Tiger, especially given your prior experience with the beemers.
Nice to know that our objective opinions were really noticed because we did indeed work hard to keep things in perspective and be fair.

Quote:
No you weren't whinning. You were opining, sharing with us your wishful thinking
Yep just wishful thinking out loud!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #887
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
I agree with the proposals here that in exchange for the bikes or a super deal on them, you appear at X number of events. This will leverage the publicity you've already gotten. I'm sure that many will attend an event and go to the Triumph tent if they know they'll get to meet you two and see the actual bikes you rode on your trip.

Very much a win win if you guys are interested in doing these personal appearances.

As to the 'whining' comment - ignore that fool.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #888
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 883
If you want a new Tiger, go buy one like the rest of have to. You were loaned two brand new bikes to beat the crap out of - for free. The other costs incurred (lodging, etc) on the trip were by your choice. You agreed to do the trip. Dont spoil such a great RR by whining.
Sorry - had to say it. Really enjoyed reading this thread, now go ride some more.
Well done.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #889
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Hey Leslie and Cheryl,

How are you adjusting to getting back to the grind? Any word yet on your next trip?

I happen to agree with the suggestion of the personal appearances in exchange for the bikes. You grrls now have what appears to be a cult following and Triumph would be crazy to turn their collective back on that. Maybe you could talk to them and put forth the idea? Can't hurt. Plus, even more opportunity to raise money for ACT. All you'd have to do is mention WHY you did the run. That's very good PR for Triumph...they donated new bikes for a trip to raise money for ACT and now, they would be allowing you to "sell" this new bike for them in exchange for the bikes. It would only be fair to allow you to keep the bikes, or give you brand new ones for the free PR.

OR...we could start a petition to ask Triumph to donate the bikes to the two of you. Anyone know how to do an online petition?
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #890
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
. I'm sure that many will attend an event and go to the Triumph tent if they know they'll get to meet you two and see the actual bikes you rode on your trip.

Very much a win win if you guys are interested in doing these personal appearances.
Probably 500 people a year ride motorcycles to Alaska, not a celebrity maker..

...surprised anyone thinks Triumph should give them the bikes after Triumph already did so much for them.

" No good deed goes unpunished"
Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #891
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post

...surprised anyone thinks Triumph should give them the bikes after Triumph already did so much for them.

never once has anyone referred to us as a celebrity on this forum...I think some are trying to say is that we have taken these bikes on a great trip and probably have a good feel for them and actually like them too. Which in turn might be worth listening to if someone was in the market for a bike like this and get some feedback from 2 of the 500 riders you say ride to Alaska each year. Some real honest feedback not a sales pitch.

In any case...all those who think Triumph has done so much for us and in return we should not get a deal...cool...because it is looking more and more like we will stay on our Beemers. So, again no big deal. New bikes come out all the time and I am really curious since we are not in a position to lay out too much cash right now for used or new bikes what BMW has in store for the market in 2013 and how the two brands change or modify their existing bike line ups.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #892
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post

They are celebrities in our books. You, however, are just a curmudgeon. Jealous much?
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #893
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque_machete View Post
They are celebrities in our books. You, however, are just a curmudgeon. Jealous much?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #894
Mark_O
BuyMyChair

Oddometer: 15,714
I'm sorry but I must have missed the whining and the expectation of a free motorcycle...

Great ride report.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #895
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_O View Post
I'm sorry but I must have missed the whining and the expectation of a free motorcycle...

Great ride report.
no expectations of anything free in this world...and thanks...glad you liked the RR...I almost forgot I wrote one!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #896
skyguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Yeah, I wouldn't expect to get free bikes. Hell, BMW made Ewan and Charley (and Claudio) give their bikes back after "Long Way Round" & "Long Way Down" and those trips had a LOT more visibility than yours. I think those bikes ended up going on tour and/or being auctioned for charity.

That said, nice ride report.

skyguy screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 09:03 PM
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #897
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't expect to get free bikes. Hell, BMW made Ewen and Charley (and Claudio) give their bikes back after "Long Way Round" & "Long Way Down" and those trips had a LOT more visibility than yours. I think those bikes ended up going on tour and/or being auctioned for charity.

That said, nice ride report.
Didn't someone mention a charity at some point during this ride report?????
Might be worth a mention to Triumph.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #898
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaduc View Post
Didn't someone mention a charity at some point during this ride report?????
Might be worth a mention to Triumph.
I think we were their charity from the sounds of it....
Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #899
Wonko the Sane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Who Got/Gets What

I see Triumph Canada is getting some mileage (pardon) from your trip, but Western Powersports doesn't even have a link to your ride report.

On the other hand, neither is there a testimonial from you two.

If its not too late, perhaps you could start a "one hand washes the other" dialog with Western Powersports; unless they just don't need to drum up any more business... I notice their calendar is pretty full through the year, perhaps they just couldn't squeeze in a date/time for you to meet the public at their dealership? Once a month for 3 or 4 months? If there's a lot of interest maybe even more frequently.

Glen Heggstad did this at BMW dealerships, but he didn't have a regular job to go back to.
Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #900
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Not that I want to get into the politics so I won't. So, the trip was known as Cheryl and Leslie's Triumph Tiger 800XC Adventure to Alaska.... now that we are back in reality we are cleaning up the blog. Be assured that before, during and after we did a lot of promoting for all things we believed in and deserved air time. Not to say we have any influence, believe me we are as humble as can be.

We are looking towards the future and moving on, no need to negotiate anymore. One thing for sure is Western for some reason never promoted themselves as being involved in this trip. We believe they possibly may have missed out on a good opportunity but that is their business not ours.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 07:35 PM