Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #106
dsrydr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I guess the downside to your opportunity is having no control over what you are going through right now. Surely the upside will far outweigh this. I think the bikes will be great for this type of trip.

Look at it this way, the ADVENTURE has begun, and your first setback (part of adventure you know) happens before you ever leave the house.

Looking forward to your report. The first hand comparison of the Tiger vs the F650 will be interesting as will the trip itself.

Be safe and have fun!
dsrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #107
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,272
Like the attitude

You are bang on about not having control and working with some folks who are not ADV riders. But as you say the adventure has begun....now to see if we can get it all together by tomorrow night to leave by 9 AM Wednesday.
soph9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #108
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

And the fact that we are both CONTROL freaks, this is driving us crazy! lol
Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #109
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
Good things come to good people, but sometimes the waiting can be gruesome...

Not long though and soon this will be hind you as the trip in earnest begins, and I, for one, will be avidly following it.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #110
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

We will keep an eye out

Since these are not our bikes we are not going to really concern ourselves too much about the fact there is no rear spring protection. While we tried to think of everything to keep these bike protected, we did notice the fact the the spring is totally exposed and sure could use a Mudsling or something. We did not bring this up as it has begun to feel like the guys at the dealer and Triumph think we are a bit over the top with our "wants". Mudsling in any case does not have one out yet for this bike but some sort of flap would have been a good thing to add.

If this becomes a problem on the trip we might have to improvise but at the same time be mindful not to alter the bike in any way. That would mean having to ask ourselves if we had to screw or bolt anything into the the bike would that be altering the bike? Might ask before we leave if needed would this be OK.

soph9 screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 05:51 AM
Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #111
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 437
Thinking about buying an XC so really interested in seeing this report come to fruition!

Lets get it on!
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #112
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Thinking about buying an XC so really interested in seeing this report come to fruition!

Lets get it on!
When we get the bikes today we can officially say the ride is on..... Departure tomorrow from the dealer in Langley, BC Western Powersports at 9 AM....then off to Revelstoke, BC!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #113
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Wow! They are cutting you guys close for sure. There's a reason for that old saying about not leaving on a trip just after service.

If it was me I would try and keep within range of a dealer for the first week just in case some part decides to fall off.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #114
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Wow! They are cutting you guys close for sure. There's a reason for that old saying about not leaving on a trip just after service.

If it was me I would try and keep within range of a dealer for the first week just in case some part decides to fall off.
Yep all in the name of ADV....need to get some KM's on those Heidenau's too. I guess break and scrub in all will happen the moment we leave. It's all good all this stress has made me lose more weight!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #115
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,589
I am so jealous! This trip will be fun for y'all and I can't wait to read the updates! Good luck and ride safe!!!!!!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #116
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
SUBSCRIBED!
Looking forward to your pics and reports!
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #117
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
I have a hard enough time sleeping the night before I leave on a trip, I don't think I could stand waiting til the last minute for the bikes! All the best for a safe and wonderful trip; I wish you great success in raising awareness about Autism as well - great cause!!

Hope that the rains up north don't impact your travels too much, but then they may be part of the adventure. I like to buy rain gear right before I leave on a trip, ensure that it is packed in a handy, easily accessible place (which means I'll have to move it to get to something else at least once or twice a day), thereby ensuring it won't actually rain during the trip (last time it worked right up til the last day when we rode home from Bend OR via Leavenworth WA in a deluge that lasted until we reached Munroe WA... at least the gear kept me dry)!

Take care!!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #118
wescnmbkr1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Soph9

Consider using a thin sheet of Neopreen, wraping the sides around a frame rail & secured with a few Zip Ties. A major Hardware Store should be able to stock the Neopreen sheet, or some alternative material. Have a Great Ride & Ride Safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Since these are not our bikes we are not going to really concern ourselves too much about the fact there is no rear spring protection. While we tried to think of everything to keep these bike protected, we did notice the fact the the spring is totally exposed and sure could use a Mudsling or something. We did not bring this up as it has begun to feel like the guys at the dealer and Triumph think we are a bit over the top with our "wants". Mudsling in any case does not have one out yet for this bike but some sort of flap would have been a good thing to add.

If this becomes a problem on the trip we might have to improvise but at the same time be mindful not to alter the bike in any way. That would mean having to ask ourselves if we had to screw or bolt anything into the the bike would that be altering the bike? Might ask before we leave if needed would this be OK.
wescnmbkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #119
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

TWAS the night before Alaska!

Well…we got the bikes today and got home around 2:30 PM. It is now 10:20 PM and we are just about all packed and set up for this trip. We had to install our top boxes and other little things and then Cheryl the amazing packer fit all our “crap” in our luggage. This time around compared to last years cross country trip we are bringing more tools and we have back tire tubes, tire irons etc. On our Beemers the tires are tubeless so we need to be prepared for roadside tire maintenance.

Looks like it might shower or rain tomorrow. Nothing new for us in the Vancouver area but sure wold be nice if the rain would hold off until we got out of the lower mainland.

Here are some pics from today and tonight’s last minute prep and we are going to try and get some sleep for an early departure from our house around 0830 to be at Western Powersports in Langley by 0900. So, tomorrow is official we leave and day 1 of our Alaskan Adventure!

Cheryl is fresh in this pic

Mean looking eh?

Larger Touring adjustable Shield from Triumph

Fork seals

new Heidenau K60/Scout tires-very smooth on the road so far

Ontario plates because Triumph Canada owns the bikes out of Ontario

Tiger Adventure bag on Cheryl's bike

Tiger City Bag on Leslie's bike

Everyone knows this company!

Some important decals

installing more stuff

Cheryl's cousin, Taylor lives with us and will be taking care of our pets and house

Still working

All this fits on our luggage no problem

Cheryl had to grind some of the kick stand foot print to clear the center stand

Superman will be making the trip with us

That is it until the next post from the road. Hope we can keep this up and add some beautiful pictures and stories. Out for now and we have 45 days to explore, just the two of us and well, I guess we will find out what else! Cheers!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:21 AM   #120
scareraven
Ninja Freak

Oddometer: 612
Subscribed!
It looks to be an all timer, great cause and I would love to see how the bikes do.
I especially like the shot of Cheryl Grinding the foot plate in shorts. My moto is safety third!
Best of luck!