Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #151
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnks4alltheFsh View Post
Good points guys, Thanks. I should amend my last post, it was a bit misleading. I do have experience on dirt, mostly when growing up, many years ago. I would be very rusty, and I've never ridden bikes nearly this large off road, so that would be new. I'm pretty conservative about my skills, so I would plan to ride mainly hard packed dirt and gravel at first, and probably would never get to anything too extreme.

I guess I was kind of hoping that someone would point out something that would exclude one of the two bikes and make this an easier decision. As I said, I have ridden the tiger, and plan to ride the KTM, just having some issues finding a ride since the nearest dealer is supremely unhelpful thus far. I'll make it happen somehow. I do plan on buying new. Recent circumstances are such that I have a bit of money to spend, and I plan to keep whatever I get for a long time.

Well, welcome to the club! I bet you most of us have struggled with this issue! I know I certainly did.

It really is a tough decision and I think it boils down to preference. I can only speak from MY experience and that I wanted a bike big enough to ride on the interstate, if needed, but off roady enough to be useful in the dirt. We have to travel a lot of asphalt to get to any fun off road stuff here. Anyway, I couldn't see myself on a DRZ 4xx, 6xx, or the like, enjoying a ride on the interstate and in fact, I did own a KLR 650 and was not happy with it even after a lot of upgrading.

It is possible to get a smallerish bike that handles well off road, but will likely be a pita on asphalt. It is also possible to get a biggerish bike that will handle asphalt mostly ok, but is a bit of a beast to handle off road. To me the KTM is the best of both worlds. It has plenty of power to keep up with any traffic and it will handle far better in the twisty stuff than I can ride it. It is a damn heavy bike to pick up, but it handles, imho, off road better than I can ride it. I was very much pleased with the performance of the KTM versus the KLR in higher altitudes, as would be expected. I don't mind the weight of the KTM off road for the trade off of comfort on road. If tight, single track is what you like, this is probably not the bike for you!

So, I know you said you wanted to make a decision on one bike and keep it for a long while, but maybe you should think about spending a little money on a good smallerish used bike and then move up as you feel more comfortable. I dunno; tough question and I'm sure everyone will have different answers! Fun to yak about it though!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #152
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Funny this old thread popped up as I have also been in the market for a new ADV ride and looking for the past few months. One of my main considerations unfortunately is cost. I can pretty much get whatever I want depending on whether or not I want to make a payment (which I don't) therefore my budget is limited. Luckily I have a supportive wife when it comes to my motorcycle addiction but I have this damn conscience that won't let me get to crazy since I have a family to also consider and my riding time is limited which makes it difficult to justify having a toy in the garage with a payment..... Anyway I really would love to buy whatever I want but decided to try and be budget minded so that eliminated some choices. My focus was to stay in the 10K or under range which led me to look at primarily used rides. I narrowed the list to a used Tiger 800xc (if I could find one) BMW F800GS/older BMW R1200GS or maybe even a new BMW G650GS.

With the above objectives in mind I have owned several dual sports orientated bikes including a DRZ SM, WR250X and a newer KLR. All competent bikes in their own right and some really fun to scream around on. My issue is that I need something with some giddy-up and long range ability. I really enjoy low end grunt. (Think freight train) Have owned several Ducati's (1098,Hypermotard and most recently an ST4) So I'm smitten by a twin. Had a Trumpy Speed Triple as well so I do have a soft spot for the triple.

I hadn't really considered the KTM for some reason or other. Some of it was I wasn't so sure about the looks. I know many will say that this doesn't matter however for me design is an element I consider because I like to sit in the garage with a choice import and cigar on occasion and just sit back and observe. The KTM Adventure grew on me after some time and the design elements started to show through for what they are a purpose built rally type bike. Now I dig it.

So with that said I started to consider the KTM Adventure after doing a little research. The maint intervals scared me a little but not enough to discount the bike. What was really grabbing my attention was finding some really nice KTM Adventures with lowerish miles on them for a very good price when compared to the big BMW's. Sometimes I wondered if the BMW was made of some mystic material or something finding 05's with 52000 miles for $7500+

Well anyway I'm rambling now but I have found my latest ride a 2004 KTM Adventure 950 with just over 13000 on the odo and loaded with all kinds of farkles. Actually found it ride here in the flee market and will be picking it up next weekend for its maiden voyage. Can't wait.........its going to be a long weeks wait.......

Good luck to everyone else who's looking for their next mistress.......
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #153
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
Well anyway I'm rambling now but I have found my latest ride a 2004 KTM Adventure 950 with just over 13000 on the odo and loaded with all kinds of farkles. Actually found it ride here in the flee market and will be picking it up next weekend for its maiden voyage. Can't wait.........its going to be a long weeks wait.......

Good luck to everyone else who's looking for their next mistress.......
The '04 950 was really still in the "bad old days" for KTM. Go back into Orange Crush and read read read. Hopefully the PO has gone through and fixed the many areas left unsorted by KTM.

Those early 950's had all the usual problems ... and more; water and fuel pumps being the main issues. Two 950 riding friends went though a couple motors each. They love the bike and both still have it. But both had extended warranties and got KTM to pay for all repairs. Very lucky.

One newly rebuilt motor grenade'd (within 500 miles) due to improper parts and assembly by an incompetent KTM dealer. 2nd time round KTM sent a rep to the shop WITH the parts. He rebuilt the engine using several "new" parts. That was 3 years and 25K miles ago. Not one issue with that bike! So ... needs to be done right!

Keep a sharp eye on the water pump, water level, temp. Keep oil topped up. Filters clean. KTM have upgraded some parts ... hopefully you're bike has some or all of the new stuff done by the PO.

Wheels were also soft on early 950's. KTM have strengthened them now. Read all you can, do the up grades and all should be well. The basic motor and bike are very good.

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #154
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The '04 950 was really still in the "bad old days" for KTM. Go back into Orange Crush and read read read. Hopefully the PO has gone through and fixed the many areas left unsorted by KTM.

Those early 950's had all the usual problems ... and more; water and fuel pumps being the main issues. Two 950 riding friends went though a couple motors each. They love the bike and both still have it. But both had extended warranties and got KTM to pay for all repairs. Very lucky.

One newly rebuilt motor grenade'd (within 500 miles) due to improper parts and assembly by an incompetent KTM dealer. 2nd time round KTM sent a rep to the shop WITH the parts. He rebuilt the engine using several "new" parts. That was 3 years and 25K miles ago. Not one issue with that bike! So ... needs to be done right!

Keep a sharp eye on the water pump, water level, temp. Keep oil topped up. Filters clean. KTM have upgraded some parts ... hopefully you're bike has some or all of the new stuff done by the PO.

Wheels were also soft on early 950's. KTM have strengthened them now. Read all you can, do the up grades and all should be well. The basic motor and bike are very good.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. After talking with the owner it appears the bike is mechanically sound and well taken care of unless he is flat out bluffing but I don't get that feeling from him. The bike does have some miles on it so I will take care to keep an eye out for those known issues. Thanks again
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #155
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Test ridden both this week Tiger 800 XC vs 990 ADV

Hi all ,spending more time here lately as I was preparing to sell my KLR and move on. I raced Motocross as a teenager and into my 20's then found mountain biking and road cycling and raised my kids racing bicycles. found myself in a motorcycle shop 20 years later getting a bicycle suspension fork serviced. was bitten by the motor bug and ended up with a KLR! what had really caught my eye though was a KTM 990 Adventure. just a little to much to soon for me to spring on my wife while paying university tuition for 3. Have been lusting for the 990 ADV for 3 years now and with the light at the end of the tunnel just sold my KLR. I had it set up with side cases etc. and want to do more incl. trips into the rockies, Alaska, fishing, mountain forestry roads/passes. Somehow (beasts forum) the tiger 800 xc caught my attention. did the research, (read Burren tigers thread) and tested one last Saturday. What a cool bike! seemed to fit me (5'8" longer legs shorter torso), sounded really cool as it had the Arrow pipe,very smooth power and plenty fast compared to my KLR. Did not get off pavement as it was a group ride with 4 others on mostly pavement restricted bikes. I think the 800 xc would need a little better tires for offroad before I'd want to go there. I fell in love with it anyway! Decided that I should at least ride a 990 before committing to the triumph so arranged a test ride today. Brand new, never ridden Blue/orange Dakar version.
Went for a 1-1/2 hr rip into a nearby National park. Some freeway, rural highway with some twisties that turned to new fresh gravel in the middlle of the last turn, a little more broken pavement then freeway back. The KTM definately had more rip and snort . Gutteral acceleration and aggression but I did not equate it to more fun! It reminded me of a more refined more powerful KLR it seemed big and heavy , something you sat on and handled rather than blending with it. It was impressive but not enough to make an easy decision.The Tigers seat seemed more comfortable and wind protection seemed comparable. Cornering on the T800 xc just seemed more planted and connected. The triumph will end up approx. 1500.00 to 2000.00 CDN$ less expensive all said and done. Both will do what i want to do with them but in very different ways. my dirt bikin days must be over I guess and my adventure biking days starting cause I think the Tiger xc has grabbed me. Sorry for the long post but I enjoyed giving my .02 cent prespective. Can't wait to hit the roads to the campsite at Dust to Dawson next June(2013)
xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #156
lynch180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I have a Tiger 800 and cant wait for it too sell so I can buy a 990 adv R..........
The Triumph is fun on a test ride but when you own one you realise it has no soul. It is the least fun bike I have ever owned!!!
KTM 250 EXC
Honda XR 50
lynch180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #157
lynch180
Adventurer

Ergonomics of the Triumph suck along with a characterless engine.............why wont it sell
Have been riding a friends 990 and have fallen in love with her but cant get the wife to sign the divorce papers
KTM 250 EXC
Honda XR 50
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #158
NHKTM990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I have ridden both, and the Brit bike was an XC model. It is a great bike, but more roady than dirty. I agree about the cockpit position, it is kind of "you reach for it rather than it reaches back to you". Sort of sport orientated. The triple is sweet but that's a lot of weight up high both statically and relatively when they are all pumping. The thing about a KTM 990 it just touches your soul, your inner hooligan or adventurer. It I not the simplest, or easiest, but it is a whole lot of freaking awesome when your on one!
NHKTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #159
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Hey twowheels - this thread is old enough that you should have some feedback by now... I take it you bought the trump - how'd it work out for you???? I've always liked the look of the trump, didn't care for the look of the 990's... Ended up with a used F800GS, only to sell it and buy a 990 R! I never considered the trump for me, sat on it at the dealer and found it just felt small... But then, I wish the 990 R was a bit larger... 6' 4" with plenty of inseam, and a need for attitude and performance out of my ride.

My observation is that several someone's need to make really high quality bikes for really cheap prices that a person with an average income can afford to buy! That would just take all the drama out of this "which bike should I buy?" dilemma... Which every one of us knows all to well.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #160
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 894
I was riding fast ans slow trails, sandy, muddy and rocky ones with my 950 , a gs800 anf a tiger.

950 seems limitless. It takes what ever I trow at it. GS800 has better low rpm torque a is much better on gas but front suspension sucks which is a big deal for off roading.

Tiger gets the lowest mark off road. Its like taking a Harley offroad. At a steep climb I zoomed up hill with my 950 my buddy made it up with his gs800 and worn rear noobies (TKC) but tiger with new TKC tiers front and rear just couldn't do it.Finally I rode it up with great difficulty and two people pulling with ropes. It felt too heavy and difficulty to stand up that may be improved if bar raisers are installed. I didn't ride the tiger on the road.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #161
lynch180
Adventurer

The 950 showed them who was the boss
KTM 250 EXC
Honda XR 50