Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #121
ScorpioVI
Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar View Post
Interesting reading here, but I wonder if there are nay riders with 30 inches inseam. I am in the middle of all these great ds bikes, and cant figure out which one to get Tigers and Storms, KTM 950 and 990, GS and GSAs...oh man

I always wanted KTM, but given that I will be using it commute as well as riding dirt, I dont feel like perfecting my Captain Morgan pose

If someone would tell me if there are any lowering kits for the bike, or aftermarket lower seats?

30" inseam here on a stock suspension '08 990 with the low-profile gel seat. I'm on my tippy toes and it sucks when I have to paddle-walk the bike anywhere, but I've long gotten used to just dabbing a foot down. I also came from a KLR with a taller seat height (37") because of the RICOR suspension, so the transition wasn't hard.

I've pretty much sat on all the newer "Adventure" bikes and in my opinion the KTM 950/990 is the second-most friendly to those of us who are atmospherically-challenged. The F650GS being the friendliest (I rented one in Europe and I could flatfoot it). The GS12 I could also tippy-toe but it just felt too big/too fat for me. The GSA was out of the question. The Tiger 800 is closest to the KTM 990 but it has a really wide seat/frame that really splays your legs out so I feel the 990 is better in that regards.

If you pick up a 950/990, just put the lowering seat on it and learn how to ride it one foot at a time. That's just me though, I'm personally not a fan of fucking around with lowering bike suspensions. Man up or get a bike that fits you.

Low-profile gel seat here: http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-...ofile-gel-seat
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #122
jnberr0
Priller Pilot

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI View Post
30" inseam here on a stock suspension '08 990 with the low-profile gel seat. I'm on my tippy toes and it sucks when I have to paddle-walk the bike anywhere, but I've long gotten used to just dabbing a foot down. I also came from a KLR with a taller seat height (37") because of the RICOR suspension, so the transition wasn't hard.

I've pretty much sat on all the newer "Adventure" bikes and in my opinion the KTM 950/990 is the second-most friendly to those of us who are atmospherically-challenged. The F650GS being the friendliest (I rented one in Europe and I could flatfoot it). The GS12 I could also tippy-toe but it just felt too big/too fat for me. The GSA was out of the question. The Tiger 800 is closest to the KTM 990 but it has a really wide seat/frame that really splays your legs out so I feel the 990 is better in that regards.

If you pick up a 950/990, just put the lowering seat on it and learn how to ride it one foot at a time. That's just me though, I'm personally not a fan of fucking around with lowering bike suspensions. Man up or get a bike that fits you.

Low-profile gel seat here: http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-...ofile-gel-seat
+1 Good advice
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #123
wildehond
wildehond

Oddometer: 334
I had a deposit down on a R1200GS Adv. I tested a 990Adv. 200m into the test of the 990 I knew it was thje bike for me. Three years on I still enjoy it like the first day.
Test all the bikes. You will just know when you are on the right bike.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #124
redstar
New adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Thanks Scorpio, Im gonna try it...going to the dealer tomorrow.
redstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #125
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Motorrad View Post
I actually own a 2011 990 KTM adventure dakar and a 2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure and a 2011 F800GS and I have to say that I find all of them to be excellent on and off road machines. They are very different bikes, and all have their pluses and minuses. I would never compare the new Tiger 800XC to either the KTM or the 1200. It really is in a different class. If you are looking to compare something to the tiger I would go with the F800GS. The tiger has a nice engine when all revved up, but what good does that do you in an adventure bike? I think that it is really a matter of personal preference and that you have to ride them all for an extended period of time and come up with your own pro and con list in order to make up your mind. I have been on all of them for a while now and I still can't pick a favorite. Come and ride mine anytime you want and decide for yourself.
I have a Tiger and its actually very comparable to the 1200GS when your a buyer looking for an adventure touring bike. I would recommend checking out the tiger before buying a 1200GS. 1200GS has more range but is that nessisary in North America? The Tiger engine is super smooth and transmission is well awesome. Lets also not try and pretend its just an onroad bike its very capable in the dirt. Maybe not to the degree the 990 is but can certain come along and play and in more style and comfort.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #126
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI View Post

Lol! I have a 2004 950S which was the tallest of the 950.990 bikes and i also have a 30" inseam,mind you i have a gel low but's its still very tall ,but i have adapted
Old 11-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #127
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Guys, I know this is an old thread but thought I'd give a view having test ridden a 990 today (I own an 800XC). I kept on reading about how amazing the 990 was so I thought hm, maybe I should try one. Didn't get to try it offroad though so this is road only.

So my subjective comparison:

990 - well balanced, lower centre of gravity than the tiger, nice riding position - in it rather than on it.
Bar position not good for me (I'm 6'4, 33/4" inseam), too low and too close. Easy to solve I guess.
Gearbox - agricultural compared to the tiger.
Acceleration - dull an unexciting compared to the tiger
buffeting - not much which I was amazed about, even at 80-85 ish
handling - hm, what to say? it's ok, turns in quicker than the tiger but didn't find it exciting

Overall: the 990 felt heavy and sluggish compared to the tiger. the tiger revs freely, wants to rev and I find it far more fun than the 990. I liked the riding position of the 990 - the tiger is on rather than in.

But, for those who say the tiger isn't an offroad bike, how wrong you are. It needs bar risers (I have Rox adjustable 2" ones), but once they're on it's easy to stand on, easy to grip the tank with your legs and the gearing is not the issue which people seem to think it is. The tiger engine is MILES better in terms of usability than the 990, it's just chalk and cheese. I can't help but think those who think the 990 is a better engine are on crack or affected with orange crush disease.

The tiger suspension is a little stiff for offroad, and the forks aren't adjustable. Ohlins has a new kit out n December for shock and fork which will cost about a grand (sterling) for both, and I'll probably have it. That should really make it pop.

Re the 990, I love the look of it, really love it. I REALLY wanted to like this bike, I really wanted to be talking to the dealer about a deal on the R version. But I didn't. I got home and thought phew, I'm happy with my tiger.
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #128
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
"Re the 990, I love the look of it, really love it. I REALLY wanted to like this bike, I really wanted to be talking to the dealer about a deal on the R version. But I didn't. I got home and thought phew, I'm happy with my tiger."

You need to completely rebuild or replace the forks and shock on the Tiger? A person can make just about any motorcycle do just about anything with enough replaced or up-graded parts. O, have you tried out Thriumph's break-away saddle bags yet?

Whatever the case, we all have to buy the bike we will enjoy owning (mostly riding) the most.

KTM 950 Adventure
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #129
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
Didn't get to try it offroad though so this is road only.

The tiger suspension is a little stiff for offroad, and the forks aren't adjustable. Ohlins has a new kit out n December for shock and fork which will cost about a grand (sterling) for both, and I'll probably have it. That should really make it pop.
So you tested the KTM against the Tiger on the pavement and then tell us how much better the Tiger is off-road? Not one reviewer/rider I've read had anything good to say about the Tiger engine off-road. On the road most folks loved it, not many thought it was good when it get's tricky.

I can think of a long list of bikes I'd rather ride over the KTM if my riding was 100% paved so I'll accept that its better on the road since I haven't had the opportunity to try one.

I''d be really surprised if Ohlins made a complete setup (front and rear) for the Tiger that was around $1000.00 I'm guessing more like $2,000.00. I've never seen an Ohlins rear shock for under $ 1,000.00.

It's OK to like the Tiger more than the KTM, but I don't believe as a package it's anywhere near the KTM off-road stock to stock.

Every year a new Adv bike comes out and every year the people who bought it come in here and tell us how much better it is than the KTM.

Then 2-3 years later and sometimes sooner they turn up here as KTM owners.

I think its because as some of these riders progress and push the bike harder it comes up short and then the rider eventually figures out that its going to cost thousands of dollars to make their bike more capable or if I can say it, more like the KTM.

Don't get me wrong, if a new bike comes out that I feel really nails it I'll jump ship in a second, but its not been built yet. My main disappointment with the KTM is that I didn't try it first. 6 "Advbikes later" here I am.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #130
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
So you tested the KTM against the Tiger on the pavement and then tell us how much better the Tiger is off-road? Not one reviewer/rider I've read had anything good to say about the Tiger engine off-road. On the road most folks loved it, not many thought it was good when it get's tricky.

I can think of a long list of bikes I'd rather ride over the KTM if my riding was 100% paved so I'll accept that its better on the road since I haven't had the opportunity to try one.

I''d be really surprised if Ohlins made a complete setup (front and rear) for the Tiger that was around $1000.00 I'm guessing more like $2,000.00. I've never seen an Ohlins rear shock for under $ 1,000.00.

It's OK to like the Tiger more than the KTM, but I don't believe as a package it's anywhere near the KTM off-road stock to stock.

Every year a new Adv bike comes out and every year the people who bought it come in here and tell us how much better it is than the KTM.

Then 2-3 years later and sometimes sooner they turn up here as KTM owners.

I think its because as some of these riders progress and push the bike harder it comes up short and then the rider eventually figures out that its going to cost thousands of dollars to make their bike more capable or if I can say it, more like the KTM.

Don't get me wrong, if a new bike comes out that I feel really nails it I'll jump ship in a second, but its not been built yet. My main disappointment with the KTM is that I didn't try it first. 6 "Advbikes later" here I am.
I didn't say the tiger was better than the ktm offroad. Read it again. I said for those who said the tiger was not good offroad...

I also said that the new Ohlins kit is a grand sterling, (that's British Pounds) and it is. If you wish I can copy and paste the email I received from Ohlins UK two days ago. Not really sure why you think I would just make that up.

Tangai, I didn't say the suspension needed "completely rebuilding". I said I find it a little stiff offroad. Don't you guys actually read whats written?

And V8, I started off by saying it was personal opinion ok? We're all entitled to one. It makes me laugh when car owners and bike owners get all tribal and protective about what they own. I couldnt really give a fuck which bike I have, if I like one more than another, I'll have it, but I won't get all "my truck's better than your truck" about it. I made it clear that I wanted to like it, but FOR ME, the tiger is a better machine for what I'll MOSTLY be using it for. Trust that's clarified things.

oh, btw - I have to say that if they did an R version with ABS, then I may well think again.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 AM   #131
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 991
I am glad you are happy with your bike. A lot of people like a lot of different bike for a lot of different reasons. My opinion is your are wrong. The KTM kicks a tigers ass on or off road. The KTM is better period. These are my opinions. I frankly think the kitty cat has no claws and is seriously butt ugly.

If you want someone to say you're right post this someone where people think like you and not in Orange crush.

Be gone with you oh trivial one. I do think the poser protest to much!!!!!!!!!!!

PS- Good Bye
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 AM   #132
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

How can my preference be wrong? How ridiculous.

I guarantee you've never even tried a tiger, but the fact you like your ktm is fine by me, it's your choice after all and I wouldn't criticise you for it or call you "wrong"
Old 11-25-2011, 05:16 AM   #133
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Maybe if you had tested both bikes on the same day, before you bought either, you would have been more objective. That's what I did, with a Tiger 1050 to trade. I was rooting for the Tiger, being a fan of the whole triple line from Triumph

I did like the Tiger, especially for the money, but the wider seat (holding my knees awkwardly apart for a dirt bike feel) and lack of suspension adjustments convinced me to pay the premium and ride away with a bike more ready for what I wanted without mods to bring it up to snuff.

That's how I wound up with the KTM as stated earlier in this thread.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #134
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

As far as I was concerned I was being objective. Thing was I went to the dealer with every intention of doing a deal for a 990, so if anything, I wasn't looking for reasons not to like it. I'd read everything on here about how great they are, but it just isn't for me, I'm certainly not suggesting it isnt a good bike, but it doesn't work for me.

But as I said, I will still try an R version and maybe I'll feel differently about it.

From purely a cost perspective, even with an Ohlins suspension upgrade, the tiger is still cheaper than the 990, has a greater fuel range, is more economical and does what I want it to do. My heart still says 990 because of the quirks, the design, loads of things, but my head says stick with the tiger.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #135
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
I didn't say the tiger was better than the ktm offroad. Read it again. I said for those who said the tiger was not good offroad...
Sorry I didn't catch the Sterling thing, I'm aware of the exchange rate. My apologies. As for the rest I made a clear statement that you can like whatever you want. I just found many of your statements to not reflect the experiences of others. Again I kicked it off by saying it was perfectly acceptable.

Here's where I thought you were claiming the Tiger better off-road.

Quote:
But, for those who say the tiger isn't an offroad bike, how wrong you are. It needs bar risers (I have Rox adjustable 2" ones), but once they're on it's easy to stand on, easy to grip the tank with your legs and the gearing is not the issue which people seem to think it is. The tiger engine is MILES better in terms of usability than the 990, it's just chalk and cheese. I can't help but think those who think the 990 is a better engine are on crack or affected with orange crush disease.
You started your paragraph about the Tiger being good off-road. Forgive me if I thought since the paragraph started with Tiger and off-road that the ending sentiments were part of the same subject.

I'm glad you like the Tiger, everyone should be happy with the bike they purchase, competition means better bikes and more choices.

I guess you expected a warm loving embrace after calling people crack-heads afflicted with a disease for their preference of motorcycle. Then when they respond to your subjective views with their own you get all bent out of shape and claim they're being tribal.

I considered the Tiger heavily as you considered the KTM. After seeing a few photo's and looking at the design it became apparent it was an F800GS with a slightly more powerful motor. No thank you tried that already. The problem is that the motor is not what makes an Advbike. Geometry, suspension, seating position, ergos, it's the whole package.

For you maybe that package is the Tiger, it isn't for me.

v8toilet screwed with this post 11-25-2011 at 07:02 PM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote