Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
TrailOut OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Wicked DIY: Steel Mesh Brake Lines

Hi everyone

I’d like to share a video. This one teaches you exactly how to make steel mesh brake lines for your bike/car in an inexpensive way.

http://youtu.be/j5DvKwno5d8

"Common (rubber) brake tubes will not maintain their inner radius when the oil inside them reaches a certain temperature. Hard riding will stress the brakes making the whole line (disks, pads, oil & tubes) over-heat resulting in inconsistent or even lack of braking power.
Needless to say that this won't ever happen with a steel mesh braking line
" (my own words of wisdom )

Disclaimer: This is NOT a street-legal/TUV/DOT approved modification. Use at your own risk. Not recommend for ANY bike. FYI purposes only!

TrailOut screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 08:42 AM
TrailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
DudeMang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailOut View Post
Hi everyone

Id like to share a TrailOut LAB video. This one teaches you exactly how to make steel mesh brake lines for your bike/car in an inexpensive way.

"Common (rubber) brake tubes will not maintain their inner radius when the oil inside them reaches a certain temperature. Hard riding will stress the brakes making the whole line (disks, pads, oil & tubes) over-heat resulting in inconsistent or even lack of braking power.
Needless to say that this won't ever happen with a steel mesh braking line
" (my own words of wisdom )

Disclaimer: Dont try this at home
Good stuff! Thanks!
DudeMang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,745
Mr. Trailout with a trail out product vid??? Shouldn't this Spam be in venders???
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
TrailOut OP
Adventurer

Thanks DudeMang

@Strong Bad:

Hi there,
In fact we already have a thread in the vendor section.
Although it is a company-made video, it is still a "DIY" useful to a lot of people.

Actually, the lack of Steel mesh brakes DIYs on the internet gave us the idea to make a movie about it

However it is not our intention to spam or go against the forum rules in any way so please remove the thread if you need to. Our apologies
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Mr. Trailout with a trail out product vid??? Shouldn't this Spam be in venders???
The guy runs tours, he's not selling anything here.

If I had the pieces in my hand, I could see this being helpful.

I imagine after a bunch of failed attempts and ruined materials, I could build a line.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Several companies make steel braided brake lines, this is one area I would not DIY. For street bikes lines have to be DOT approved. On line the price is reasonable for both dirt and road bikes
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
He's probably got a special Portugeuse substitute for brake fluid too.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailOut View Post
Hi everyone

Id like to share a video. This one teaches you exactly how to make steel mesh brake lines for your bike/car in an inexpensive way.

Needless to say that this won't ever happen with a steel mesh braking line" (my own words of wisdom )

Disclaimer: Dont try this at home
Who runs OIL in their brake lines?
and
Truthfully
I'd rather not be on the road with a bike-motorcycle-car-truck-quad-semi that has homemade brake lines...
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
TrailOut OP
Adventurer

Well, we are all gathered here for our love for motorcycles, travelling and probably some DIY. After all, its nice to know how your motorcycle works.

Information is never too much and I'm not exactly teaching you how to make a bomb
I've tested these brakes for quite some time and so far they've preformed perfectly.

Home-made stuff IS a risk, everyone knows that. But can you say that homemade brakes are more dangerous than homemade/home-modded wheels, spokes, axles, swing-arms, handlebars, windscreens, suspensions...?
If ANY of those things fail you'll probably injure/kill yourself or others around you. Thats the whole motorcycle thing

Anyway, I figured this video could be misinterpreted, that is why I was careful enough to put a disclaimer both on the video and the text description on youtube that states something like this: This modification is not street-legal in many countries. Use at your own risk and only on track bikes

But please, for God sake, delete this post if it goes against the philosophies of this forum! It was meant to be a contribution to everyone's knowledge, not a statement of my struggle against the laws of men or a threat to anyone's safety

@Joexr : Not cool man. Isn't that an unnecessary attitude considering we are all part of the same worldwide family?
Besides, maybe one would do better with a "portuguese substitute for brake fluid" than with a 35.000miles old brake fluid that was never substituted due to lack of mechanical savvy

Just to be sure (will be added to the first post as well) :
This is NOT a street-legal/TUV/DOT approved modification. Use at your own risk. Not recommend for ANY bike. FYI purposes only!

TrailOut screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 08:42 AM
TrailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,677
i dont see anything wrong with the vid or the parts used,,, they are after all, designed for the purpose shown. same with AN fittings on water, oil and hydro lines.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
I've built many a brake line with the parts/method shown. I would not hesitate to send a customer out the door with these lines installed, with the one big caveat being that the lines were CORRECTLY assembled. Having said that, it isn't very difficult to do properly. And while I prefer 5.1 brake fluid in my brake systems, really it's not that far from "oil". Many bicycle brake systems use a form of mineral oil, branded "Magura Blood" from the manufacturer. Guess which one.

Some of you guys crack me up with your insistence on "DOT-approved", "would-not-DIY" attitudes. How in the world do ya think CUSTOM stuff gets done?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
I've built many a brake line with the parts/method shown. I would not hesitate to send a customer out the door with these lines installed, with the one big caveat being that the lines were CORRECTLY assembled. Having said that, it isn't very difficult to do properly. And while I prefer 5.1 brake fluid in my brake systems, really it's not that far from "oil". Many bicycle brake systems use a form of mineral oil, branded "Magura Blood" from the manufacturer. Guess which one.

Some of you guys crack me up with your insistence on "DOT-approved", "would-not-DIY" attitudes. How in the world do ya think CUSTOM stuff gets done?
'
By somebody who knows what they're doing, not by somebody who saw a video on how to do it

rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Brake lines are Not expensive to begin with. Why bother making them?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
TrailOut OP
Adventurer

Sometimes it is not a matter of price, is a matter of liking to DIY.

Regarding the price, its about 70% cheaper.
Since we we had 10 bikes with 2 brake pumps each, made sense. About 600,00 worth of sense
Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #15
rbjenterprises
Just wandering in SW VA

Oddometer: 33
I just spent an hour on google looking for the correct combination of words to lead me to a US site to purchase hose and ends. Any ideas out there? I did get sidetracked a few times and learned things I did not know I needed to know.